ReVeN is a currently running Kickstarter that needs funding, the goal set to $18,000 with $200,000 needed for a Vita version.
But what is ReVeN?
Well ReVeN is classical 2D Metroidvania (Metroid/Castlevania) type of game in which you walk around in an open world-ish 2D explorable environment.
It uses a system called EDM, which stands for Energy Divergence Module and is described as:
“ReVeN offers a gameplay mechanic that is inspired by RPGs. This mechanic is called the Energy Divergence Module (EDM). The EDM allows the player to divert energy real time to any of the four parts of SyReks body (Weapons, Shielding, Mobility, and Sensors) taking power cores from one system and shifting them into another to overcome obstacles and defeat enemies. Want a more powerful weapon? Take energy from your movement speed and increase your damage! Losing health too quickly? Become a tank by increasing your shield power! We want the player to set up their “stats” the way they want to play, but leave them with the ability to change them on the fly. The gameplay balance is in fact that the player must lose energy in one system to overpower another. However, the world is riddled with power cores, many of which are off the beaten path. Find them all to become the ultimate weapon.”
As if this wasn’t enough you can also find diverse material to craft new items in the game.
In the game you will be able to visit a huge varity of envoirments, a few of them were already mentioned;
- Nexum Station -A Space elevator station used to transport cargo from earth to XR-Keres. The entire station powered down with no explanation. We fear hundreds of our greatest scientists and their families lost their lives.
- Exteria -A maroon desert plagued by dust storms and high temperatures. The cool caverns below are teaming with alien life of many varieties.
- Eldera -An ancient forest almost as old as the planet itself. The Flora and Fauna of Eldera are so dangerous that all of the research stations had to be built high up in the trees.
- Antaydia -High up in the mountains rests a snow covered plateau, home to Antaydia. Beneath the frozen tundra lives an entire ecosystem surprisingly drawn to the harsh temperatures.
- Nariss -Many creatures reside on the cliffsides of Nariss Edge overlooking the deep oceans of XR-Keres. A perpetual thunderstorm continually strikes the ground causing occasional fires. The local lifeforms have adapted to the static charge and have found ways to use it.
This isn’t all that will be availible in the final product through, and they’ve stated they also drew inspiration from games such as Deus EX and Crysis.
Here’s the official trailer, the similarities to Metroid are pretty striking if you ask me!
If you wanna help them to reach their goal (or if you just want to know more about the project) visit their Kickstarter Page.
Stay tuned for more at The Vita Lounge.