Starlight Inception is the Kickstarter funded game from Escape Hatch Entertainment. It was released on the PS Vita last week, but we are holding off on our review for a few weeks.
While playing the game for the last week, it was pretty clear that the game is a little… unpolished. Text in menus are too small to read. HUD elements are missing in first person view. Plus there are a number of other bugs and technical glitches that really distract from the game.
I contacted Escape Hatch Entertainment concerning the issues I was having, and they quickly got back to me with information about a major new patch they are working on that addresses nearly every issue I was having.
In light of this information, we decided to hold off on our review until after these fixes were in place. It wouldn’t be fair to anyone to present a review filled with complaints only to have all those problems patched out of the game (assuming the patch fixes what is broken). Once the update is out, we will have our full review ready to go.
The update is expected to be released in the next two to four weeks. The full list of improvements currently being worked on in this first patch are:
1) Increase across the board of ship speeds by a factor of 1.5 with regular use, and 3 with afterburners (still testing to find the sweet spot, but this increase really changes the experience of the game). Adjusting cost of the ships to make them more accessible.
2) Adjusting the size and sharpness of the text and elements in the main HUD to increase clarity.
3) Making vital HUD elements readable while in cockpit view.
4) Adding auto pilot between waypoints if all targets are eliminated.
5) Making the between mission traversal optional, AND increasing characters on the ship.
6) Changing the function of the purchase dialog to use something other than circle, and to give a confirm dialog before purchasing equipment and ships in game (btw, this uses Command points – the in-game currency, not real currency).
7) Adding animations on the characters in cinematics to make them less wooden and static.
8) 02 Chicago Level – improvement of draw distance and general graphical presentation.
9) Y-invert taken into account for Midway exploration.
10) Pilot Hand toggle setting in cockpit; run capability in Midway exploration.
11) Fix for two trophy bugs (Training and 09).
12) Messages show longer.
13) Adding a brightness adjustment.
14) Make AI harder.
15) Add run capability to Midway traversal.
16) Add confirm purchase dialogs.
17) Change confirm purchase button to triangle (instead of the back button).
18) Add a Quick Match option to Multiplayer Pick Game Type Screen.
19) Fixes of bugs and framerate issues where possible.