WRC 5 is coming, and it’s bringing with it a brand new engine.
The next generation of rally racer is bound for PlayStation Vita and other consoles this Fall, but it’s going to be looking a little different; WRC 5 has been announced, and it’s sporting a brand new engine and developer courtesy of Kylotonn Games.
Here’s the scoop on what their new engine – the Kt Engine HD – features;
- A high end visual game engine supporting dynamic weather and dynamic day/night cycle, vehicle deformations, dirt, lens flare…
- A level editor to create living, varied and realistic environments, alternating driving surfaces such as asphalt, gravel, snow…
- A particles editor capable of simulating physics of dust volumes, smoke, dirt, water and snow projections…
- A powerful physics engine providing detailed vehicle simulation allowing realistic handling, in any environment and on any driving surface.
- Advanced damage model offering damage levels ranging from mild damage to complete destruction.
- Replays mode with dynamic visualizations inspired by TV broadcasts.
In addition to the new engine, Kylotonn has been working with Sébastien Chardonnet (the 2013 FIA WRC 3 champion) during the concept and planning stages to deliver a game which combines driver, gamer and technical experience into something representative of the real thing.
Alain Jarniou (Game Director at Kylotonn Games) had this to say about the project;
“Our team of racing enthusiasts is developing new technical tools to offer a true rally simulator from scratch, […] [w]e are very proud and excited to work on a title dedicated to one of the most challenging and spectacular forms of motor sport.”
Sounding interesting so far? Take a look at some next-gen (likely PS4) teaser footage.
Are you excited to see WRC get a refresh from a new developer, or would you have preferred another Milestone release? Let us know in the comments!