Comments on Profile Post by DojoDan

1. Retro8bit
    Retro8bit
    Right? I have been searching for a good sized CRT TV at a local thrift store here, still trying to snag a good one. Retro gamers are beginning to catch on.
    Dec 3, 2017
  2. TheAtom
    TheAtom
    That's a niche market... Any reason they're a thing?
    Dec 4, 2017
  3. DankZaku
    DankZaku
    I looked last summer for a "new" CRT to replace my old one. They're getting extremely hard to find with the proper A/V connections. I've got a 27' and the bulb is going out. Started displaying the picture bigger than the screen so it cuts off on the sides and bottom now. Been looking for a deal ever since.
    Dec 4, 2017
  4. DojoDan
    DojoDan
    TheAtom I think some Trinitron CRT model numbers are popular with arcade cab builders, at I think so. I still my 14" Trinny which I really only have space for. 21" are a nice TV tho. DankZaku Unfortunately they don't last forever :(
    Dec 4, 2017
  5. TheAtom
    TheAtom
    Ah that explains part of it. What's the advantage in general though? Is it better to display retro consoles or..?
    Dec 5, 2017
  6. DojoDan
    DojoDan
    For older stuff through scart/s-video/composite yes, because of the low resolution (SNES, NES, Megadrive etc). On newer big flat screens the upscaling is horrible. You can buy upscalers but they are expensive for good ones and then there's possible input-lag to contend with.
    Dec 5, 2017
    TheAtom likes this.
  7. TheAtom
    TheAtom
    Ah okay! Interesting for certain! If I get my hands on a MegaDrive (which is currently still owned by my in-laws...) that might be something to consider.
    Dec 5, 2017
    DojoDan likes this.