Comments on Profile Post by TheAtom

1. zodaex
    zodaex
    Speaking purely from a gameplay standpoint, do you recommend Moe Chronicles?
    Feb 23, 2018
  2. TheAtom
    TheAtom
    The short version is that it's quite the enjoyable DRPG, but not the best the Vita has to offer (Demon Gaze takes #2, Mary Skelter #1). With a lot of fun characters to choose from, each with (I think) 4 costumes (which translate to classes), giving a lot of options to change the approach, with each change feeling like it really matters. If you up the difficulty, there's quite the challenge to it as well.
    Feb 23, 2018
    zodaex likes this.
  3. TheAtom
    TheAtom
    Finally, a fast-forward and autobattle (just attack or even repeat last move) makes it quite streamlined, even while backtracking for completionist purposes. I could write a lot more, but on the phone it gets pretty tiring. XD
    Feb 23, 2018
    zodaex likes this.
  4. TheAtom
    TheAtom
    Oh, can't forget that I personally loved the humour in there as well
    Feb 23, 2018
  5. KaiserDragon
    KaiserDragon
    I plan to in the future, Personally I enjoy the series, especially the artworks. TheAtom - I think both of us shares some common interest lol.

zodaex "The short version" from me will be: It is pretty standard DRPG. It's very applealing visually, I do recommend giving it a go if you like DRPG and the Art-styles (Oh and if you are into Ecchi stuff of course).

The challenges comes during Post-game.
    Feb 24, 2018
    TheAtom likes this.
  6. TheAtom
    TheAtom
    KaiserDragon I am also a little intimidated by a 60 hour RPG experience for which I need my phone to understand what's going on (beyond what my less-than-elementary school level Japanese can do). I'll be awaiting your comments then!!
    Feb 24, 2018
  7. zodaex
    zodaex
    I find it hilarious how all over the place this franchise is. I would pay anything for an English copy of Moro Crystal!
    Feb 24, 2018
    KaiserDragon and TheAtom like this.
  8. TheAtom
    TheAtom
    I'd give anything for any of them. MonMon is MY JAM!!
    Feb 24, 2018
    KaiserDragon likes this.
  9. KaiserDragon
    KaiserDragon
    TheAtom Haha, I hope you are still gaming by the time that time comes then.

My "Japanese Consumables" currently consist of Light Novel, Manga and Magazines. Those enable me to take my time in searching any Kanji that I'm unable to read. (Wouldn't really want to do that for games).

I'm hoping to move into Visual Novels (on Playstations) by this year.
    Feb 24, 2018
    TheAtom likes this.
  10. TheAtom
    TheAtom
    I hope I'm still alive xD

I hope to get there at some point. I got the hiragana and katakana down pretty much (not with ease, but with some effort I can read), started to learn some kanji but ever since I started to work it's been tougher to motivate myself...
    Feb 24, 2018
  11. KaiserDragon
    KaiserDragon
    Kanji are definitely the biggest challenge, not only with their sheer amount but also with their complexity to learn and remember.

I think the Motivation problem exist for almost all language learner lol.
    Feb 25, 2018
    TheAtom likes this.
  12. KaiserDragon
    KaiserDragon
    What I can say is that do not be too concerned regarding your fluency in reading Hiragana and Katakana. It will become easier down the road with the more you write and read.

Those will soon becomes just like reading Latin alphabets.
    Feb 25, 2018
    Roscoe Jones and TheAtom like this.
  13. TheAtom
    TheAtom
    Thanks man! I got the Genki book, and use the TenguGo app to learn some basic Kanji. Anything you can recommend?
    Feb 25, 2018
  14. KaiserDragon
    KaiserDragon
    Recommend? As in tools for learning Japanese?
    Feb 25, 2018
    TheAtom likes this.
  15. TheAtom
    TheAtom
    Yes! That!
    Feb 25, 2018
  16. KaiserDragon
    KaiserDragon
    Hmm that's a difficult question to answer as I myself also do not have many access to Japanese learning books. I'm currently using old books for both my grammar and kanji (90's edition - so I'm not sure it is good for recommendation)

I heard a lot on GENKI. They seems to be one of the most popular one being used by people over the net.
    Feb 26, 2018
    TheAtom likes this.
  17. KaiserDragon
    KaiserDragon
    How do find the book? As long as you feel you are making progress then it should be fine to use.

By progress I mean aren't those super basic such as "私は...です" or "私は...じゃありません". I feel that reading materials are the best way to gauge progress that we made.
    Feb 26, 2018
    TheAtom likes this.
  18. KaiserDragon
    KaiserDragon
    I did have a quick look on the Kanji apps you mentioned but I didn't purchase it as it is a premium apps that I didn't have plan to use it.

It's the same with the grammar part I believe. As long as you feels you are progressing, keep going. Does the apps provide examples for the usage of the said Kanji? because as you know, Kanji word by themselves are mostly useless.
    Feb 26, 2018
    TheAtom likes this.
  19. KaiserDragon
    KaiserDragon
    I use Manga to gauge my Kanji proficiency as their sentences are shorter and almost all of them didn't provide the furigana (Talks about brutality lol).

250 - 300 Kanji should allow us to read the basics (I'm at about 500s myself).

My apology for being long-winded!!...I will stop here for now. We should switch to inbox for our next discussion I think lol.
    Feb 26, 2018
    TheAtom likes this.
  20. Roscoe Jones
    Roscoe Jones
    I recommend, download the contempoaray hiragana and katakana charts to study FIRST which are QUINTESSENTIAL to learning Japanese PERIOD. Especially when studying kanji with furigana! Look up Japanese from Zero series on YouTube hosted by my sensei George-san. He's awesome hands down. Look up his books on Amazon Japanese from zero!!!
    Mar 7, 2018
  21. Roscoe Jones
    Roscoe Jones
    Also, once you learn the kanas. Get the gameboy emulator on your smartphone or if you have access to a gameboy or gameboy color or gameboy advance or super game boy for the snes buy the everdrive GB x3 x5 or x7 and download Japanese released gameboy games. Those games only use the kanas because of hardware limitations and that kids can't read kanji at young ages...
    Mar 7, 2018
    TheAtom and zodaex like this.
  22. Roscoe Jones
    Roscoe Jones
    ...for example, ポケットモンスター[poketto monsta or pocket monsters =pokemon] games use strictly kana only so have fun. I also recommend the Memrise app, take it for what its worth but its a good beginner app while on the go. DON'T study just the meaning of a kanji itself. It's useless. You have to study how to say it, look at it, write[ in hiragana. Besides names, kanji is followed by hiragana almost always, for context.
    Mar 7, 2018
  23. TheAtom
    TheAtom
    I got the hiragana and katakana down, pretty much. Some still confuse me from time to time, but it works out. I'm studying kanji (that is, kun-yomi and on-yomi readings as well as always at least one example in context with other kanji) with TenguGo (which uses a randomized quiz and flashcards, basically)
    Mar 7, 2018
    KaiserDragon, Roscoe Jones and zodaex like this.
  24. TheAtom
    TheAtom
    and I'm getting back into Duolingo with Japanese. When I get further I'm sure I'll try out some manga or simple games. What I like about more recent games though is that it comes with a voice track, and I can often catch a lot from that as well.

Memrise was actually developed by someone from my research group (though he quit his research because to work on the app. My supervisor's still a little bitter).
    Mar 7, 2018
    KaiserDragon and Roscoe Jones like this.
  25. Roscoe Jones
    Roscoe Jones
    Once you learn, live, eat, sleep nihongo even on an elementary level which surpasses 98% of native English speakers; it'll feel as if you have super powers as an English speaker. Everything I loved as kid now makes sense becuz I'm [casually] learning nihongo. I have to work on kanji and, reading proficiency, vocab and strengthen my grammar. Also Rosetta stone is good BUT you must have a basic understanding
    Mar 7, 2018
    KaiserDragon and zodaex like this.