About the PS5...

Discussion in 'PlayStation 4 & General PlayStation Discussion' started by 3VOLVE, Nov 16, 2018.

1. 3VOLVE

3VOLVE PSN ID: Dusean17

Apparently a patent has now been leaked about PS5 Concepts having a full screen where the touch pad is. Essentially a PlayStation Switch design. I gotta be honest, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Switch and Vita had their own implementations of this but I'm not sure how this could potentially be a good thing.
    I mean sure I want a new Sony handheld and for it to be done right this time but I really can't imagine how this would improve the game except for like a map display and interactive gimmicks. Plus I don't want a $100 - $150 Controller every time I need to buy another controller or a replacement controller.

To be honest I'm more worried about the fact of... is it going to be backwards compatible? Or will you make more excuses because if it isn't I'm going to have a huuuuuuuge problem.

SONY likes this.
  2. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

GPU might not be as powerful as a GeForce RTX 2080 Ti then?

3. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

If they want to make it 15cm thick and 10 minutes of battery life then yeah.

Jokes aside Xbox One X it's GPU is power wise around a GTX 1060, but what people forget is that GPU power is not enough and current consoles lack good CPU's which will bottleneck it anyhow at higher framerates.

My bet goes that the PS5 and the New Xbox will have a GPU comparable to a GTX 1070/1080 which still is a huge leap from what One X is now, but then again if they lack CPU power the leap becomes less noticeable.

Back to that handheld story, if PS5 is a handheld in any form please make it simple without back touchpad or camera gimmicks, the Switch is a nice example of being mostly gimmick free (moetion controls are something Nintendo does for a few years now and in some games it does work great like Splatoon 2 or Super Mario Party).

3VOLVE and Terramax like this.
  4. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

Agreed. The rear touch pad and camera were under-utilised and served only to increase the cost of the console to the detriment of sales. Who knows how much cheaper the console would have been without those two features. I'm sure it would have been cheap enough to have enticed a number of more potential customers, especially earlier on. Or they could have included sufficient internal memory from the getgo, which was the single biggest issue everyone had with the console. Several more games would also be compatible with the Vita TV if it weren't for these features.

I would also hope that this theoretical handheld PS5 / Vita successor does not have detatchable controllers ala the Switch. Not only would that add to costs as well as looking like Sony really are copying Nintendo but, honestly, the Switch feels kinda flimsy and insecure, partially thanks to them.

3VOLVE likes this.
  5. Vita_Girl

I'm still surprised why people keep saying the Switch is feeling flimsy, I have one and for the type of it's concept it is surprisingly sturdy.

As for the PS5 chances are big I won't even look at it, we got the PS4 purely for Disgaea 5 and Uncharted 4 back then and Sony their current attitude and censorship makes me hate them even more above for what they did to the Vita.

Sony is still Sony, a company with a huge "we are the best" ego and "people are sheeps that keep buying our stuff" attitude.

PS4 is a great system, Sony however isn't a great company especially not this generation.

SONY likes this.
  6. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

Same here, I reckon Nintendo Switch is super sturdy.
    I love the modular concept!!

Vita_Girl likes this.
  7. Vita_Girl

I was surprised myself, I though the joy-cons with rails including would break off but no.

8. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

IMO even the Slim didn't have enough internal memory. Not when title updates for a single game are sometimes over 1GB.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    TheAtom and SONY like this.
  9. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

The weird thing is even that the Slim and OLED have the same internal memory, it's just that the Slim's memory is made available and the OLED's isn't (or so I've heard).

As for the PS5, they'd better not do some stupid shit the Wii U's gamepad. If they want to make it fully portable, I'm good with it though.

I remember reading they were looking into 5G networks for the future of on-the-go gaming though, so I'm more inclined to think the PS5 will come with a streaming device à la Vita rather than putting the entire console on the go.

If they do that, I hope there's a version without it. I think in my place there's way too much interference. My remote play only works on the couch in front of the PS4, sadly...

10. Vita_Girl

How did you connect your Vita via Remote Play? Connecting it via your router (not via internet btw) worked best for me.

That aside if PS5 is streaming only I will laugh out hard for few days in a row, how about Sony fixes the stutter PS Now has with streaming because over here it stutters like hell (our internet connection is 400mbps down, 40mbs up and every device has fast connection even the PS4 has 260mbps down and 40mbps up via ethernet cable (Cat 6) so that's not the issue).

Even a friend of mine has issues, an he has a 500/500mbps connection.

PS5 download only? Sure that would be acceptable because even when you buy a physical PS4 game nowdays most of the time it's or un-complete, full of bugs of requires a day one patch.

But PS5 as a streaming only device? If that happens I start wondering what type of booze and crack Sony is using.

11. TheAtom

Vita_Girl I think I connected via the PS4 directly, but I'm a little unsure how doing it via the router works, because it seems like it doesn't work any other way. Any clue how to set that up?

Hmmm I meant more that the PS5 would be a complete console, but coming with a portable streaming device of sorts, or perhaps they'll try to make a smartphone a streaming device again and come with a 5G Xperia or something. This way you'll have a powerful home console, and gaming on the go with lightning speed cellular networks (that was what I remember reading they were looking into anywaY).

12. Vita_Girl

It should give you 3 options when connecting the first time, from my own experience a direct Vita to PS4 connection works the worst (it works for about 2 meters away from the PS4 for me) while with the router it works in our whole house but that's because we use a separate router, the one our provider gave is crap so that one is in bridge mode only.

TheAtom likes this.
  13. TheAtom

And what if it isn't your first time connecting?

That's the issue I had. The first time it gives all those options, then afterwards they don't seem to pop up anymore...

14. Vita_Girl

When starting the PS4 Remote Play app on the Vita, there should be settings in it for that.

TheAtom likes this.
  15. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

I think Sony will pay attention to the popularity of the upcoming Disc-less XBOX ONE.
    Everything is a bit wait 'n' see, right now.

TheAtom likes this.
  16. 3VOLVE

3VOLVE PSN ID: Dusean17

I don't want a PS5 Hybrid. I don't think we are there yet. Maybe in the next 2-3 console generations there will no longer be much of a point and they'll do it. The PS5 however will need to really sell me. I already think paying for online is garbage and I'm not excited to buy a stronger PS4 with no backwards compatibility.

TheAtom and SONY like this.
  17. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

Agreed!
    Also, PS4 pro sucks!!

zodaex likes this.
  18. Andreas Stalin

Andreas Stalin Well-Known Member

Yeah both the Ps4pro and XboneX were stupid ideas that should never have been implemented. Now that it has been tried please move away from that model. And the NS is not flimsy, not even one bit.

3VOLVE likes this.
  19. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

Yeah, Nintendo Switch has amazing build quality. :)
    10 outta 10. Rock solid! :cool:

20. TheAtom

The Switch is great indeed.

Yeah, I'm no fan of the New/Pro/X model. One thing I like about consoles is that you're good to go with one system for a longer time, and now it'll feel like you're behind with a regular ol' PS4...

3VOLVE, Andreas Stalin and SONY like this.
  21. Vita_Girl

Well don't worry, where Xbox One X is really a more powerful Xbox One the PS4 Pro is simply a "overclocked" PS4, they didn't even bother to give it more ram neither.

But I'm not a fan of such redesigns neither, where Nintendo their New 3DS is faster than the older model, 99% of it's games still work fine on older models where on PS4 and especially Xbox One there are games that run worse on older models compared to the X and Pro.

22. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

PC still better.

23. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

But not your potato PC ;)

SONY likes this.
  24. TheAtom

Oh really? That kinda sucks, actually. They gave it a better CPU though, right? I don't know, I didn't really look into it too much.

I actually own the Pro though, despite me not liking the stuff. It's just that when we went to buy a PS4 the Pro was already a thing and it had a pretty sweet deal compared to the Slim (don't remember what, but I remember it was sweet xD)

25. Vita_Girl

A gaming PC is as good as your wallet can handle the cost.

A good PC isn't expensive, over the top system is a different story.

Wise words from a lifelong PC and handheld gamer :) (me being wise... lol)

Pro it's CPU and GPU is slightly better (definetly more impressive on paper than it is in a real life scenario)

That aside, even while Pro is not so much "Pro" or a "4K system", for someone that didn't have a regular PS4 it's a fine system, for someone like me not because our regular PS4 works fine.

PS4 Pro is not worth upgrading from the regular one in my opinion, but for people that don't have the regular PS4 the Pro is a better buy.

Xbox One X however is a good upgrade, X performs better than Pro while the regular One performs worse in certain games than the regular PS4.

It's all about what someone perfers, for me good games, stable performance and good gameplay are always more important than good looking graphics, so I care less about these upgraded systems myself.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018