About the PS5...

Discussion in 'PlayStation 4 & General PlayStation Discussion' started by 3VOLVE, Nov 16, 2018.

1. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

I quite don't like the half-step upgrade consoles. I've been buying systems long enough that when the 3DS launched in the states, I waited an excruciatingly long 3 years to buy one, knowing that they would inevitably release some bad-ass looking Limited Edition Systems down the line and they eventually did. When my dream L.E. 3DS released in my favorite color I bought 3 of them on Black Friday to ensure i'd have enough backup 3DS hardware to last me the rest of my life. Well then Nintendo came out with the New 3DS-XL. Who cares right? I've got my dream systems in my dream color. Well, eventually they started making games that don't even work unless you've got the latest upgraded model but at this point I was already deeply invested in the original model. It wan't even a very good upgrade in my opinion. It still has the same astronomically low 240p resolution, and now you need a screwdriver to change the memory card. I don't care for these changes at all, but I wanted to play some of the new games so I had to get a 4th 3DS.
    I also loath that the extra horsepower of these systems because inevitably it always seems to end up being used merely to improve the graphics of the newest games, but never improving the performance of the old games.
    Remember the old Sonic commercials that advertised the game ran at 60 frames per second? I'd love to see FPS used in marketing again instead of 4k this and 4k that.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    SONY likes this.
  2. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

50 years from now, video game consoles (as we know them) will be upgradeable on a yearly basis :(

3. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

My dude, 50 years from now is further away from us now than the release of Home Pong is...

I do not dare to make any predictions about how interactive devices will be and what 'gaming' will be like when I'm in my 70s...

Yearly upgradeable consoles sounds, if it'll happen, more like 5 years from now than 50 xD

SONY likes this.
  4. 3VOLVE

3VOLVE PSN ID: Dusean17

I would "NEVER" buy an Xbox. There's no point, buy a PC. More games, same exclusives, you can use other controllers if you hate Xbox controllers, no need to pay for online and no kinect, always online BS that Microsoft will inevitably try to push on consumers. Screw that.

5. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

^ Hater!!

6. Andreas Stalin

Andreas Stalin Well-Known Member

Yearly upgradeable consoles? That’s called a pc.

SONY likes this.
  7. TheAtom

Technically, an OUYA...

8. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

Ouya is a pos!! Please elaborate?

9. TheAtom

That was the idea, right? I don't think it was big enough of a hit for that, but the idea was that they'd release a new OUYA every year with updated internals.

10. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

Like phones. Nothing new.

TheAtom likes this.
  11. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

Well Sony will do the same online BS Microsoft will, pretty sure of that.

As for PC, yeah that is better than Xbox One but not everybody has the money to buy a good gaming PC.

A Xbox One S is around €229, you won't really buy a comparable PC for that amount of money because you do need all the hardware + monitor + keyboard + mouse at least.

For comparsion I had some of the stuff and only needed a PC + new monitor (I had a notebook for years because of school) and with a i5, GTX 1060, 16GB of RAM ect I still lost around €1200 for it, while that was before the whole miners and high RAM prices stuff.

But if you do have the money then sure by all means buy a PC, for me at least PC has been always the best and superior way to game at home but I do acknowledge why console have their pros and 2 of them is plug and play plus their low price.

12. Andreas Stalin

Vita_Girl I just can’t get into pc gaming, I don’t like to mess around with in game settings to get an optimal experience so I prefer consoles. Maybe counter intuitive to this I bought a GPD Win 2 handheld computer for emulation and games that can only be found on pc’s, and the hw is so weak that I actually have to tinker with the settings both in emulators and pc games to get a good experience in most games. But since I mostly play on consoles it’s not so often that I have to do that.

13. Vita_Girl

GPD Win 2 is not the best example of PC gaming, for what it is it's great but as a PC it is comparable to a PC/notebook meant for browsing the web.

I can imagine you don't like to do that, I do see myself sometimes try different settings to get the optimal ones and it does take it's time plus not everybody will like it, but at least as a PC gamer you have that option while on consoles it's simple, but if the performance sucks you cannot do anything about it in 99% of the cases.

That's the charm of PC gaming, you decide how the game runs however for someone like you for example I can imagine it's not a charm but more of a hassle which it is, because how many people will tell you PC gaming is great it is really not meant for everybody and for a lot of people consoles are the better solution.

Both PC and consoles have their pros and cons, PC has the freedom but at a price while the consoles are easy plug and play but also at a different price, there is no perfect system to play games on and it's up to the person itself what suits him/her more, in your case consoles in my case PC.

That doesn't mean I don't game on consoles, but because I never owned one before living together with my other half I never cared about consoles and for me it was always PC and handhelds only.

TheAtom and Andreas Stalin like this.
  14. Andreas Stalin

Vita_Girl I totally get that, a good pc is a very versatile and powerful tool for gaming. I also prefer handheld gaming, hence the gpd win, and my favorite set up is the model were you can choose to play on handheld or tv, like Vita Tv/Vita and the Nintendo Switch. For me that’s perfect. Mostly I play in handheld mode but sometimes you just want a bigger picture for those epic battles and I switch (...) to tv mode. Also crossplay PlayStation games have been a blessing.

Vita_Girl likes this.
  15. Vita_Girl

I agree with that for sure :)

Andreas Stalin likes this.
  16. 3VOLVE

3VOLVE PSN ID: Dusean17

PC costs less in the long run. It is just about saving money really. You'll have hundreds of free games too.

17. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

^

Plus, unlimited mods for many, many games :)

18. TheAtom

I play mostly on consoles, but man, now that I have a decent laptop for work and a good gaming PC, I wanna get Warcraft 3, Ago of Mythology or some other RTS and play LAN with my wife. :D

I love the plug'n'play nature of console gaming, personally, and the lack of care for Japanese developers (save VNs) for PCs also plays a role in my preferences. With Sony going as it is however, maybe my PC will get some more hours via Steamlink. :D

I do use my PC though, it's not like it's gathering dust, but more for other hobbies like making music and making designs and whatnot for T-shirts, PC/Vita wallpapers etc.

19. Vita_Girl

Depends what you play, where you buy it and when, PC is still cheaper but it really depends on these 3 things how much more cheaper than the consoles it is.

If you do it right it will always be cheaper in the long run, there is no such thing like "PS4 is old, buy PS5 for newest games!" on PC, if I wish I can play whatever I want and if I buy the right stuff then upgrading the system won't cost much in the long run.

But then again it has others cons most people don't like, not to mention the lies that a good gaming PC needs to cost "€3000"... for that money you can buy my midrange PC almost 3 times.

PC is a VN heaven which is cool and sad because that's the one genre I prefer on handhelds, but the option is there and even a simple browsing notebook/PC can handle most VN's so that's another good thing.

TheAtom likes this.
  20. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

GPD Win 2's hardware is way better than any PS Vitas.

21. Vita_Girl

True but the comparsion is unfair, Vita is older plus you can game on GPD Win 2 but it's not a dedicated handheld compared to the 3DS, Switch or Vita.

It can do more, but it is essentialy a very compact notebook.

22. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

Sorry, I didn't elaborate on what I said in my previous post.
    I was just a little annoyed about what Andreas Stalin (A.S.) said about GPD Win 2...

Obviously, GPD Win 2 doesn't exactly have powerful hw, I mean what does A.S. expect from a UMPC?
    I only said that it was heaps more powerful than Vitas hw specs, because A.S. thought he (I'm assuming A.S. is male) was buying something like a 'proper' gaming laptop to compliment his PC portable gaming needs.
    As you know and have already mentioned, the GPD Win 2 is just a handheld computer with built-in physical gaming controls and is actually quite a niche product that isn't meant for A.S.
    I was wrong to compare older PS Vita with GPD Win 2, so I apologise for that.

Vita_Girl likes this.
  23. Andreas Stalin

SONY oh I guess I wasn’t very clear when posting about the gpd win 2. I knew exactly what I was getting when I bought that little device. And I think it’s really good for what it does. I backed the indiegogo campaign and I’ve been following both the Reddit’s and dingoonity posts about it. Also got lots of info from the phawks YouTube channel.

I’m not a novice when it comes to pc, I’ve been gaming since the pentium 1 was considered high tech. I have built several pc’s myself.

I was just pointing out that to get the most out of the gpd win you have to tinker with the settings in most games and emulators and even mess with .ini files sometimes. And I had just told Vita_Girl that I prefer consoles because I don’t have to mess with the settings so I was kind of contradicting myself. Even so I still game on my gpd win 2, because I really like handheld devices. The fact that I don’t like to mess with performance settings doesn’t mean I can’t do it. I think I can actually do it quite well.

I think right now the hw in the gpd win 2 is probably about the best you can get for such a small device and still have decent battery life and heat dissipation with today’s tech. And that’s why I bought it, that’s how much I prefer handheld gaming. And I think I am just the kind of person the gpd win 2 was made for.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    SONY and Vita_Girl like this.
  24. Vita_Girl

Nah it's ok, it is purely my own choice not to compare apples to pears aka I won't compare PC to PS4 directly neither Switch to PC and so on.

You can compare all systems to each other except their power, I will compare a PS4 to a Wii U because both are home consoles, same goes for a GTX 1060 to GTX 780 because both are PC parts or a Vita to 3DS because both are handhelds.

What people compare it their choice and comparing Vita it's games to PS4 on a non hardware level would be a legit thing for example.

But that's just my 2 cents about this subject, as for GPD Win 2 it's like I already said for what it is it's impressive but as a PC it is not, and that's a mistake a lot of people make online (especially in the Youtube comment sections).

GPD Win is a special case, comparing it to a gaming PC would make as much sense as comparing the Switch to a Xbox One X.

As for PC hardware that is true, putting something better from the stuff that is available would bring more issues with it like shorter battery times for example.

And I mean even with mobile chipsets you to need active cooling if you want to use it for gaming while keeping stable performance, the Tegra chip in the Switch for example is cooled by a fan to prevent throttling while playing games, same goes for the GPD Win 2 btw.

Lack of active cooling is the reason why the more powerful smartphones drop frames in more intense games, the hardware throttles itself to prevent overheating.

But I guess I'm wandering off a little because this has nothing to do about the PS5 :D

SONY and Andreas Stalin like this.
  25. Andreas Stalin

Vita_Girl Yes I meant for a device that you could run games made for the Windows platform on (an x86 system at that). I didn’t mean to include mobile chipsets.