Anime Discussion (All Things Anime)!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Lounge' started by Techup, May 21, 2014.

1. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

Stryfe Light-hearted and funny? Silver Spoon might fit the bill, as might Natsume Yuujinchou if you feel like adding in some supernatural elements.

Silver Spoon is about a city kid going to an agricultural school in a very rural area and adapting to a lifestyle and people very different than he's used to. It's got some drama in it too, to keep it interesting.

Natsume Yuujinchou is about a kid who can see youkai and his misadventures resulting from his interactions with them. It's pretty relaxed most of the time, and it won't make your ribs hurt or anything.

Natsume is especially easy to watch at your own pace since it's mostly episodic, with most of the stories wrapping up in one episode and with very little over-arching plot - much like Mushi-shi (my most favouritest thing ever) though Mushi-shi lacks the comedic aspect. Silver Spoon clocks in at a whopping 22 episodes (2, 11 episode seasons) and Natsume has some 50 or so spread out over multiple seasons and OVAs.

Stryfe likes this.
  2. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

I'll see if I can get my hands on those series. 22 episodes isn't too bad, Natsume sounds like the longer one. Are these fairly new?

3. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

Silver Spoon is new; it only started two years ago. Natsume started in 2008. Both are available on Crunchyroll to stream for free (at least where I live.)

Stryfe likes this.
  4. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

5. Kyle

Kyle Just Some Guy Staff Member

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    Some new anime coming in with the Spring season, and so far I've started;
    • Triage X
    • Dungeon ni Deai o Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka? (stand out favourite so far)
    • Shokugeki no Souma
    • High School DxD S3
    And haven't dropped them, with a bunch more starting this week that look interesting.

6. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

Has anyone used Crunchyroll before? I've been thinking about giving it a try, especially since it has a free trial available.

MrAlsVita likes this.
  7. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

Stryfe I use it. The premium membership cuts ads out and gives you access to the newly aired episodes faster, as well as a discount on merchandise in their online store. Plus a few other things.

MrAlsVita likes this.
  8. Kyle

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    It's decent but doesn't have everything.

I'd suggest if if you can find most of the shows you want to watch and/or a lot of shows that you would watch in their catalog - especially since upgrading to premium gives you HD versions of the streams.

9. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

Would you recommend it? Would you say it's worth it, especially considering you can find a lot of anime online from fansub groups? Is the mobile/tablet experience any good if you've tried it? Those are probably my main questions/concerns.

Yeh I wasn't expecting it to have everything, but it has a few shows I'm in the middle of, plus a few that I definitely want to watch. I also like the Netflix type experience, I'm sure I'll just browse the catalog and watch some random anime, or read some manga.

10. VietLe

VietLe Well-Known Member

Was it better or worse than the like of kissanime?

I have Kissanime installed on Kodi on my laptop as well as on my TV so I can pretty much watch everything. Never used Crynchroll before. It might be better in term of quality but I don't have a big enough TV to test out.

11. MrAlsVita

MrAlsVita Well-Known Member

I love Crunchyroll. I'm a premium member and the quality of the shows are great! Love watching my episodes on my iPad 4.

Anyways, I bought some new anime this week:

[​IMG]

12. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

It's definitely worth it - I mean, it's cheaper than Netflix. I've not tried the mobile/tablet route but it works very well on the Vita (which used to be specific to paying members but is now usable by anyone.) Some fan-sub sites are faster than Crunchyroll, but the translations are worse; Crunchyroll does a better job of it without taking much longer. Crunchyroll will also often translate the text on signs and whatnot (if it's important) whereas fan-subs generally don't.

While it doesn't have everything, it has enough to make it worth subscribing - and you can always drop the subscription if you run out of content you're interested in. Easiest way to find out if it's worth it though is to just go through their catalogue, and give their trial a shot.

13. Techup

Techup Well-Known Member

I'm loving these animes so far. Especially Shokugeki no Souma. At first I was like "I won't like this but I'll give it a try". Now I'm like "I love this anime!" Lol. The other three I pretty mmuch knew that I was going to like.

Outbreak company was really good I really enjoyed it. I think I've watched it 2 or 3 times in the past. Though I enjoyed all those animes there. I think I've only seen 2 of the 3 seasons of the world god only knows.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  14. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

Forgot about that series - I agree, I did enjoy it and have it somewhere as well. Definitely worth the watch. :)

15. MrAlsVita

The World God Only Knows is getting their 4 ep OVAs on Blu-ray! :) The episodes happen between seasons two and three.

16. Alpasar

Alpasar Member

Does anyone sees Denpa Kyoushi. I find it quite intresting ;) It seems as GTO.

17. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

Not heard of it, but sounds interesting. Extract from http://myanimelist.net/anime/29589/Denpa_Kyoushi_(TV) below:

18. MrAlsVita

I'm watching Freezing. The fighting is brutal in this one.

19. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

Finished with Hunter X Hunter and very disappointed with a lot of things, but I have to read about the manga artist having to take a hiatus due to health problems. That explains the rather abrupt end and all the loose ends.

20. Jabyar

Jabyar Well-Known Member

I felt the same way. It ended leaving lots of things without answers... Reading your Spoiler you made me remember how I felt when finishing reading Eragon (4 books, Christopher Paolini), questions, questions everywhere -.-. But I really liked most of the anime, Gon remind me of Goku and his wild-hunting life in the forest.

--

If you want something different, I've just finished Ristorante Paradiso. Italy, restaurant, incredible art and music. It's not the japanese drawing we are used to. :D

21. Kyle

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    In addition to the four already mentioned, I've also picked up Punchline and Yamada-kun to Nananin no Majo - and both are proving to be quite entertaining.

Dungeon ni Deai o Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka? is still my favourite so far though. :)

22. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

Currently ploughing through Ace of Diamond and really enjoying it. I've almost finished the first season I guess, and it then goes on to 'S2' (Season 2?), which is only a few episodes in currently.

Anyone else watch it?

23. alejo81

alejo81 Active Member

Steins;gate

which one is better the anime or the VN? can only choose one to enjoy

24. HomelyBird

HomelyBird Member

I'm watching through Fairy Tail at the moment and just watched Redline and Ghost in the Shel S.A.C.

25. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

I think Fairy Tail is a bit too long for me to get into at this point. I used to read the manga so might try get back into that.

HomelyBird likes this.