Anime Discussion (All Things Anime)!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Lounge' started by Techup, May 21, 2014.

1. HomelyBird

HomelyBird Member

175 in English and 233 in Japanese. It's surprisingly good. The only reason I started watching it was because it was 2am and it was at the top of my netflix queue. It's actually been quite easy on the senses, but I know what you mean. Length is what keeps me away from One Piece...

How is the manga though? I've really been loving the show and have thought about picking it up. Do you remember it being good?

2. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

Is the TV series finished? I thought it was ongoing?

The manga was really good, I thoroughly enjoyed it when I was reading it. I got up to date and got frustrated with the slow updates so haven't read it for a while now. If you enjoyed the anime, you'll love the manga.

3. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

Yeah that's how my brain works too; the longest series I've ever watched caps out at 55 or 56 episodes. Over a hundred episodes is a lot of time to invest.

Yet when it comes to manga, I'm really greedy and love having long-running series. I also really enjoy shorter ones, and one-shots but it's a weird dichotomy. Long Anime? Nah, it'll take too long to finish. Long Manga? Awesome, I'll have something to read for weeks/months! I don't think I can articulate why though.

4. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

I think manga is easier to jump in and out of. You can read them in shorter bursts and depending on which series and how you watch your anime, don't need to download fansubs, etc.

Nonscpo likes this.
  5. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

Ah yeah... when I think about it a bit more, a great deal of anime has a lot of padding in it - slow moving pictures of the background with cicadas chirping possibly being the most common. I can also read a chapter much faster than watching an episode - most of them are only 20ish pages. Much more digestible pieces.

With Manga I also don't follow my rule of waiting for the series to conclude before starting it, thus eliminating the need to binge. Perhaps I will revisit this idea with the Summer Anime season. Or even the Spring season! I could try it right now. You've enabled me to keep the gears grinding together long enough to think up an experiment to conduct... on myself. Should I not like the results however, I'll pretend it was your idea. Fair is fair, no?

6. HomelyBird

HomelyBird Member

Kind of. The series ended in 2013 but a new one began in 2014.
    They changed animation studios, art styles, music, directors but it still follows on from the first series. It still has a lot of the same people working on it but it looks different... in a good way though.

I know what you mean about the 55 episode cap. Some of the arcs in anime suffer from running a little too long. Season 2 has an arc that's about 23 episodes. It was really good in the beginning but I feel like the last few episodes were an attempt artificially lengthen it.

7. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

Lol, if you insist!

So does that mean the 2014 series is a continuation of the 2013 series plot-wise?

8. HomelyBird

HomelyBird Member

Yeah, it picks up right after the first series ends. There's also a movie...

9. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

Hmm, well I'll wait and finish some stuff that I'm currently watching - just started Shirobako, then want to watch Denpa Kyoushi and staying up to date with Ace of Diamond. Could move on to Fairy Tail after all that! :p

HomelyBird likes this.
  10. alejo81

alejo81 Active Member

Stains;Gate is hitting me "Right in the feels" ( 8 episodes left)

11. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

Just bought tickets to see When Marnie was There during it's first showing in the tiff building. I am excited.

12. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

Wow, this thread hasn't been updated for quite some time!

I've been watching Ace of Diamonds, all up to date on the second season so far - think it's episode 21 I last watched.

Completed the first season of 'My Teen Romantic Comedy Snafu' - wasn't too impressed and debating whether or not to watch the second season. Felt like they were aiming for big plot pay-offs with back-stories, and it just didn't work for me.

I have Denpa Kyoushi in my backlog of things to watch next.

13. Kyle

Kyle Just Some Guy Staff Member

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    I'm currently watching Aoharu x Kikanjuu, Charlotte, Classroom Crisis, Kuusen Madoushi Kouhosei no Kyoukan, Ranpo Kitan, Rokka no Yuusha, and Shokugeki no Souma.

Those last two are easily my favourites of the season, though Charlotte has been highly interesting as well.

14. Detective Kaito

Detective Kaito Active Member

Welp, I'm currently watching Bleach, made it to episode 131. And also a bunch of other random anime like Black Bullet, Blue Exorcist, and Akame Ga Kill.

15. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

I'd get confused watching so many series at once!

16. Kyle

Kyle Just Some Guy Staff Member

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    Not me, besides - they're airing weekly. If I wanted to watch one at a time I'd have to wait until they're done. :/

17. Tom3k

Tom3k Active Member

ATM I'm watching Rokka no Yuusha (can you please advance the plot already), Arslan Senki, GOD EATER and Saint Seiya - Soul of Gold.

18. Zynthia

Zynthia Member

I actually haven't been watching much anime lately. This summer, I watched Parasyte, Hibike Euphonium, AnoHana, Assassination Classroom, and Hakuouki. I really like Hibike Euphonium, because it reminded me of when I was in school band. I also started watching One Piece. I've only watched 51 episodes, so I've got a long way to go. I think I'm gonna start Death Parade soon.

19. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

How are you finding One Piece? I'm tempted to give it a go, but seeing at how long it is, I keep getting put off. Now that I'm playing the game (Pirate Warriors 3), it's somewhat dragging me in! What's your recommendation?

20. Zynthia

Zynthia Member

Well it starts kinda slow cuz Luffy's still forming his crew. I didn't get that interested until the Baratie arc, which starts on episode 20. The arc after that was pretty great too. I like most of the main characters so far, and a couple of their backstories are pretty emotional. I just wish the show had a faster pace, because I'm used to shorter shows that are most fast paced. That being said I'm still glad I started the show, because I'd been wanting to start it for a while but the length was holding me back.

Stryfe likes this.
  21. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

Hmm, I might jump into it after finishing off some of the series I'm currently on.

22. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

This thread reminds me that I have to get back to watching AoT.

23. Lauriferous

Lauriferous Member

Hey, everyone. I've kind of been out of the anime loop for a while (the last anime I really enjoyed was Birdy the Mighty: DECODE and that was way back in 2008) and was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions regarding any recent shows? I'll watch any genre, as long as the plot is good, as well as the characters, so I'm open to any recommendations. Thanks!

SONY likes this.
  24. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

Not really recent, but give AoT a go if you already haven't done so.

25. Miguel

Miguel Well-Known Member

I wished they continued Trigun, than anime was freaking awesome