Anyone else think that a PS4 portable could be a future possibility?

Discussion in 'PlayStation 4 & General PlayStation Discussion' started by Rat King 64, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Rat King 64

Rat King 64 Well-Known Member

Today is launch day for the Nintendo Switch. I am not planning to get one, but I hope that it does very well because of what its success could mean for the future of handheld game machines. I purchased my PS Vita a couple of years ago and almost immediately started to wonder if I had made a mistake because of all the doom and gloom surrounding handheld systems in the press. The general consensus was that dedicated handheld game systems were going the way of the dodo thanks to the popularity of gaming on smart phones and tablets. The poor sales of the PS Vita certainly seemed to support that view and I consigned myself to the fact that there would probably never be another handheld system from Sony.

Now I am not so sure. It is highly unlikely that Sony would create another handheld that was a stand alone product requiring its own software library. However, I think it is very much possible for Sony to spin out a portable version of the PS4. The games would obviously have to be download only, and that would put off people who like having physical media, but overall I think it would work out well. Sony could even offer an optional dock that would allow you to play games from your PS4P on an HD TV with a dual shock 4 controller.

I am not sure how much market there would be for such a thing, but the fact is that so long as Sony were not selling it at a loss it would be quite low risk. Even if it faired no better than the Vita (15 million world wide) that would be OK. There would be no games that are trying to make their entire sales off of that 15 million user base. Instead those 15 million would be just part of the overall PS4 market. It would probably be a boon for indie developers who live off of cheap downloadable games since those types of games would likely be popular on a handheld PS4.

If this happens I really, really, really hope that Sony do not (for the love of God) create a new proprietary memory card format for storage. Just use SD cards!

IN any case, does anyone else think this would be cool or would digital only kill it for you?

2. legalalien

legalalien Member

Is it possible? Yes! Is it going to happen? Not at all! A portable PS4 is extremly costly, comparable to a 800-900 Euro/US-Dollar Laptop. You need a low power version of the PS4, a powerful battery pack, a solution for the heat in a small case and a vibrant IPS/OLED display. Nobody will buy this except for the early adopters with too much money. Take a look at the Nintendo Switch: In Europe it costs 330 Euro and it slightly worse (depends on the game) than a PS3. This is what you can expect for portable gaming in the upcoming years.

And I guess Sony is done with the portable market once and for all.

3. Kyle

Kyle Just Some Guy Staff Member

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    This, x1000.

4. coachjjs75

coachjjs75 Well-Known Member

you never know, if the switch does not do good as I feel like it will not... Sony might just take more try at it !!!! ..... But that my dream

5. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

In fact, both PS4 and Xbox One where weak compared to PC at launch.

Why would I do that comparsion? In fact making a portable PS4 for €500 is easly done, PS4 is a few years old now and putting that into a portable system would be possible, consider this that a PS4 Slim costs around €200 and Sony is still making profit on it.

It's not the costs that this would never happen, Sony is known as a company that brings out stuff and expects quick cash on it, people wouldn't buy a portable PS4 because Sony would make it too expensive to get enough profits.

(only exception was PS3)

I'm happy that Nintendo did it and not Sony, if it doesn't end as a huge succes Nintendo will at least keep pumping money and support their system, Sony doesn't do that with failing systems (and hardware), they pump money in stuff that already earned them enough cash.

6. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

A portable PS4 would likely have even worse battery life than the Nintendo Switch. Yuck no thank you lol.

Vita_Girl likes this.
  7. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

Probably even worse than a Sega Nomad lol (under 2 hours)

8. Dee0342

Dee0342 Well-Known Member

Even if Sony would try it, I wouldn't trust them enough to dive in early. But to be honest, the market has changed a lot and I doubt that anybody outside of Nintendo will try to create a gaming handheld device anymore.

3VOLVE likes this.
  9. 3VOLVE

3VOLVE PSN ID: Dusean17

Honestly I have mixed feeling about any portable from Sony. I don't think they understand how the market works, let me be honest the PS Vita is great, as in still is but there were so many issues and so many flaws it lead to the device being literally overshadowed as all hell by the PS4 AND the PS3. Now we have VR, and probably Sony trying everything they can to stay ahead of the curve I think they don't have the passion or capability to do a successful handheld. Now PS Vita did outsell Wii U but I remember back on another Vita forums not going to say which but not too long into the lifespan of the device we were watching E3 together waiting for anything Vita related, then gamescom, then PAX, then the Japanese conference can't remember what its called. But the signs were clear the Vita had potential but it wasn't even that long til it started getting wasted.

A portable PS4 would be a mess imo. You'd need a super powerful piece of tech that'd be waaaay too expensive to be accessible to casual audiences. Not only that but there'd be development limitations and performance issues and even after all that I doubt Sony would handle it right. Think about it we've got a PS4, PS4 Pro, PS4 Slim, VR, and PS4 portable? That's too much. If they want to give another portable a shot I'm more than in for it but I won't be expecting what I expected out of Vita, which is why I think Nintendo should just keep it moving themselves.

10. Darkknezz

Darkknezz Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    DarkScollo
    The only way I see Sony doing a portable ps4 would be with a digital only platform via psn. who the hell is carrying bluray discs around???? lol

3VOLVE likes this.
  11. vita_lover

vita_lover Well-Known Member

I would love another Sony handheld. However, I know what chances there are of that happening. Good thing the VITA still gets great games.