Bullet Girls Phantasia

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita Games' started by Axeru777, Sep 21, 2017.

1. lesdennis

lesdennis Well-Known Member

still waiting for mine to arrive, got held at customs 16th August... still no card yet

2. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

Oh wow Terramax I'm on the complete other end! I love the game!

The camera sensitivity can be changed quite drastically in the options menu under sensitivity. You can choose different sensitivities for regular, sighted, and scoped as well (which helps). Pressing the D-pad up button centers it where the character is looking, and D-pad down is a 180 degrees turn.

I personally am having a lot of fun, but I can get that if you approach it as a shooter, it may not be what you'd expect. I think you're better off thinking of it as a musou where you primarily shoot. If you think of it as a Senran Kagura/Warriors game, it's quite what you'd expect. There are three different difficulties to spice things up as well. Normal is quite easy. Most enemies die with one shot (although boss battles can still be a little rough). Hard is perfect for what would normally count as 'normal': they don't die instantly, but do go down after a while without hitting the 'critical hit' core. Ecstasy (very hard) is probably only 'ecstatic' for masochists. You need to hit the regular orcs about three times in their core, and with each hit they 'bounce back' obscuring most of it, making it pretty tough to get three shots in a row. I'm personally absolutely in love with the machine gun, as it managed to make the slime enemies doable (critical hits for some reason just happen).

The story and characters are... okay. The start is really rough and almost awkward indeed, when you get the stupid intros. It was one of those games where I thought: it looks fun, so I really hope it will be, so the start of the game is usually a little nerve-racking: Did I just waste some €50? Or not? Thankfully, once the story gets going, it's actually pretty fun. It probably won't capture me like Senran Kagura did (which is an otherwise similar game), but it's serviceable. It is pretty much a fairly standard isekai (new world) story where they try to get back to their own world, and come across a wide variety of other people on their way. The ecchiness in the story is VERY limited, actually, which I personally am pretty glad with. Nothing takes the seriousness out of a moment more than random boob squeezes and comments. The minigames I haven't gotten into myself, as I'm not too much of a fan of how far it goes here and there. To accommodate people like me, you can always skip these parts by pressing start, so there's no problem there either. For those on the opposite end: to my knowledge, you can play the 'intensive drilling sessions' endlessly once you unlock them.

There are also some RPG-light mechanics with a leveling system that increases HP, unlocks skill-points and can sometimes increase your amount of equipment slots. Skills and equipment (materials, these are called) come in the form of passive boosts to your HP, your clothing HP, fire resistance, knockdown increase etc. etc., but they can also increase the combos you can do with the melee weapons. You can get further boosts with panties and bras you pick up during the missions, as they can sometimes come with passive boosts as well (analogous to the materials), but they don't take up any of the slots.

The characters largely play the same, except for their primary weapon (you can take 3 weapons with you on a mission), which typically is locked into a certain type (say, an Assault Rifle or a Bazooka), a unique weapon of that type, and a special move (think of Senran Kagura's ninpous). These special moves sometimes just come down to 'do big damage to all those around you', but other times they can give you a few support characters, summon a tank, or even a 'lightning spirit' of sorts that regularly zaps (and paralyzes) enemies. Every character also has the same skill-tree to put points into, but since there are 168 total skills to be got, you can create very different characters yourself. You can, for example, throw all your points into (clothing) HP boosts, or instead put them all into speed upgrades and upgrades to your special attacks.

I typically finish each mission first on normal, which usually is a breeze save for the boss enemy (if there is one), and then go back to try it on hard mode, which is a bit of a hit or miss for me (although I've noticed I'm getting better!) to try and get some extra XP and get some chances for better drops. It's really quite addictive, as the missions don't really take too long either.

As for the framerate drops: yes. The game has massive slowdowns. I personally prefer the game slowing down ever the framerate dropping and things getting choppy (which I haven't noticed myself), as it really just allows a bit more thinking to do on your own end. The controls feel pretty tight for me, actually, but I wouldn't be surprised if things already feel better for Terramax if he changes the sensitivity settings in the options menu. Another welcome addition to the options menu is to be able to turn off the costume break cut-ins, which really allows for a much smoother experience. This can be done separately for the main character, your 'buddy' (support) character, and the enemy. Mind you, I've only reached about chapter 5, so it's not a full 'review', but so far I'm absolutely loving it waaaay more than I thought I would!

edit: the one thing that is missing that I would've wanted the most, is multiplayer. Many missions are standardly done in accompaniment of a support character anyway, so would've been PERFECT for coop. Really, the game would probably be twice as fun trying to strategize with a person next to you or via voice chat.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    Mr Tornado, Tweeg, lesdennis and 3 others like this.
  3. masofdas

masofdas Active Member

Seen this doing the rounds on a few threads on here, twitter etc is it worth picking up or the excitement being that's it's an English Asia game that isn't something from eastasiasoft

4. TheAtom

This is just my two cents: I gave a whole lot of 'em up here, but if you're worried about the quality of English: don't. It feels through and through like a proper Western release, save for the switching of X and O for cancel and confirm. If you're wondering about the overall quality of the game: I'd say it's worth a shot, but read above here for further opinions of me and others, cause Terramax for example was much less impressed. :D

5. masofdas

masofdas Active Member

I will have a proper read, but I'm not bothered about the translation as it could be Zero Wing bad but my point was more if the game is like a 6/10 but because it's physical and in English, it's getting hyped to like an 8/10.

If that makes sense.

6. TheAtom

Oh yeah, it does. Especially here it does.

Hmmm, that really depends on your expectations. It's a musou-styled 3rd person shooter with an ecchi anime-style. If that sounds fun to you, get it. If you want more out of it than that (a good story? Legitimately interesting characters? Deep battle system?), then don't. It's great fun for some simple shooting with great, fun colourful visuals, and I actually laughed out loud with some of their silly jokes (but I think I'm a pretty easy target... my wife rolled her eyes and smirked... but take that for what it is) and if that's what you want to get out of it: 8/10, in my books. It actually offers a lot of customization options qua gameplay as well (passive boost etc.) and the 'rubbing' minigame looks to be in-depth as hell (haven't done it (yet)).

zodaex likes this.