Danganronpa End Game Impression

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita Games' started by Reika, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Reika

Reika Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm practically new to the forum (but not as a VITA owner/player) and I am not exactly sure If this is against the rules as I saw there was a forum thread dedicated especially for this game. What made me decide to make a new thread though is that this one will be focusing on the impression particularly after finishing the game. For people who are about to start reading this thread, as this would be an end game impression, there might be possible spoilers when discussed. Also, this way, we are able to avoid spoilers for the players who still haven't picked up the game.

This thread may contain SPOILERS. You have been warned.

---
    Anyway, back to the issue at hand. I just finished Danganronpa today... and I am pleased to say that, as the story progresses, I was able to predict the ending of the game. As much as I love the game, I think it was one of its flaws. Whenever a chapter starts, you knew right away who's going to end up being dead and they make it pretty obvious, giving you little freedom to actually come up with the conclusion yourself.

This is probably where I can also draw a line between Pheonix Wright series and Danganronpa. The Pheonix Wright series actually makes you think rather than spoon feeding the cases to the players. Where as Danganronpa, they actually make it pretty obvious. Though it might be because the storyline consists of them helping each other, it would have been better if you actually had the freedom to depict and connect the events of what happened.

What stands out from the Danganronpa though is the Class trial. I always looked forward to it every-time. The down side to it was the class trial felt like a tutorial for the most part. I understood if Chapter 1 was pretty simple in order for the players to get a better grasp of how the class trial would work, BUT the tutorial feel of the game just didn't stop at Chapter 1. The whole class trial thing felt like it was a tutorial for the final class trial which I was pretty disappointed in. They should've have stopped the class trial tutorial feel at chapter 2 and make the cases a bit harder starting at chapter 3.

Over-all, it's a great game and I highly recommend it to people who might be on a fence on trying the game out. There are flaws here and there but they weren't big enough to over-ride the positive side of the game. To the makers of the game, a big thumbs up.

2. Kyle

Kyle Just Some Guy Staff Member

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    You knew the outcome of every murder and the murderer before the chapter even started? I find that hard to believe, especially
    which were all big surprises as there were only the slightest clues offered (mostly only when talking in the trials as after-thoughts). I'm pretty observant and while there were murders I had figured out nearly right after they happened, none of them did I know at the beginning of the chapter and I definitely didn't see any of the twists coming.

As for the class trials, I agree with you that there was a bit of hand-holding - though I can see why. Almost every trial added a new element to it, and they didn't want to confuse the player. This was appreciated, if a bit time consuming and redundant sometimes.

3. Reika

Reika Well-Known Member

Oh, you could just by looking at the chapter image when the each chapter starts. And, sorry, it's the way I wrote it... what I meant was, when you start investigating the case... you can already tell what was already going on before the class trial. I got all the the (T_T I don't know how to put spoiler tags) Sayaka murder, the Hifumi bit and Chihiro's death... but it took me awhile on the Junko's. Most evident one was the image for the old wounds... they could've have changed that... it literally gave it away.

4. Kyle

Kyle Just Some Guy Staff Member

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    Spoiler tags are [ spoiler ] no spaces, with [/ spoiler ] no spaces at the end.

As for the chapter images, I didn't even pay attention to them - I was more interested in the story than a banner telling me what chapter I'm on.

...and yeah, they're meant to be solvable - it's the way the story advances. Would you really have preferred the mystery to be so hard you have to keep replaying the trial instead of finding out what's next? I wouldn't.

5. Reika

Reika Well-Known Member

Oh, thanks :D Now I know how to put up a spoiler tag.

Anyway, yes I do like that it is solvable... but it would also be nice if I were deducing during the investigation and actually got it wrong... something that'll throw me off guard. None the less, I really enjoyed this game and I can't wait for Danganronpa 2.

6. FragileSurface

FragileSurface New Member

I just finished this game myself and I have mixed feelings about it. I very much enjoyed the journey but felt that the ending was atrocious. During the entire time Junko was being revealed as the mastermind I kept thinking to myself...'This is NOT good storytelling, THIS IS NOT GOOD STORYTELLING'. Surprise! A character you thought was dead at the beginning of the story and know practically nothing about is the mastermind! How is this supposed to be meaningful? It really felt like the writers wrote themselves into a corner and then suddenly decided to slap an ending on it. Perhaps I am spoiled by 999 and to a lesser extent, VLR.

I was also surprised that rather dim-witted witted characters such as Yasuhiro, Toko and Aoi made it to the end while more clever characters such as Celeste (in the interest of full disclosure, she was my favorite) did not. I would have loved to see a true and more impactful appearance by Mukuro as well. I felt like there was so much potential for her to have a meaningful part of the story, but it was never realized. By the way, did anyone else see the Persona 4 Arena similarities here?

Despite the ending, I did enjoy Daganronpa a lot and am happy I purchased it.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  7. HonestPandaShow

HonestPandaShow @HonestPandaShow

I know it was not really all that possible then, but should they actually make a new game into the series and not just remakes for the Vita (which I have enjoyed and will continue to do with the 2nd one I already have paid off on pre-order) is that the relationships you have created/make throughout the game should have some weight the storyline as a whole. Perhaps it is just me for wanting that but it would also add so much to the replayability for the main story that way. Always changing, always new. (until you run through all the various possibilities that is, which would still take quite awhile)

Overall though I did enjoy the game and once I actually understood how to do the class trials (I was trying to use the touchscreen at first and always failed) I just really look forward to the continuation of the series.

Kyle likes this.
  8. Reika

Reika Well-Known Member

I agree about Mukuro, she was cut too short early in the game. It's such a waste of potential good story around her and then the authors just decided to kill her off right at the bat. It would have also been nice if they offered different routes every-time for re-playability. I haven't played Virtue's Last Reward (shame on me :S it was out of stock during the time i decided to buy a copy) but people said there are different routes for that game. So I don't think it's impossible given that they are the same company.

But then, this was meant to have a sequel... maybe that's why it was not feasible to actually change routes so that it will be according to second part. Nevertheless, I really am looking forward to the continuation. :)

9. HonestPandaShow

HonestPandaShow @HonestPandaShow

Not completely true, take a look at Metro 2033. Had I believe 2 different endings and when the sequel Metro: Last Light came out they had to just pick one and say that was the official. In which that is something they could do if they continue this series. At least that is my hope.

10. Reika

Reika Well-Known Member

I see... I guess it was the same for Persona 3 or some games. Yes, i do hope. A couple of friends who have played the sequel told me that most hanging questions for the first game will be answered on the second game. I don't know which it would be as I decided not to know more about it since I didn't want to spoiled with the story, but I am glad we won't be left hanging and just continue on with a bunch of new characters or something.

Also, danganronpa actually has a manga which had a more in-depth story to characters like Mukuro and Junko. I believe some are even more elaborately explained like Kirigiri's past... but that's what I've been told. I've never really checked the manga myself.

11. IchBinSkyr

IchBinSkyr Active Member

PSN ID:
    JessiLyn
    Having finished the main story today I can say I very much enjoyed it. However, I agree with HonestPandaShow. I wish the story progressed in some way with those you decided to hang out with, allowing for some alternate endings and liven up replay ability.

Maybe I'm spoiled by VLR being my first visual novel, but I liked that in some ways you were interacting with the story and created your own ending. (Choose your own adventure-esque).

It can be very possible and hate that wasn't an option explored in the game.

All-in-all though, I enjoyed the game itself a lot and will be replaying anyhow. Maybe not right away since then I would wind up bored and all..

12. Techup

Techup Well-Known Member

If it's anything like the anime, then I know the outcome of every murder and the murderer without even playing the game xD

13. IchBinSkyr

IchBinSkyr Active Member

PSN ID:
    JessiLyn
    I haven't seen the anime at all, so I can't say it's anything like it. I'm now interested in looking up the anime myself, but I can say playing a part of it is a lot more than watching it - even being hand held through it. I particularly wanted it to be less hand holding, a lot of the times I did figure out before the clues were put together.. other times I was certainly surprised and/or saddened.

14. Techup

Techup Well-Known Member

15. IchBinSkyr

IchBinSkyr Active Member

PSN ID:
    JessiLyn

16. Kurisutina

Kurisutina Ultimate Vita Enthusiast

PSN ID:
    Shiroyami
    Woo how did I miss such juicy conversation. You know, I want to side with Reika on how obvious some of the murders were but I think at best, it's 50/50.

Which is why, when I saw myself thinking about "who" could do it (as I honestly suspected Hiro), it was only the well placed clue of "multiple injuries" where my brain got creative/out of the box. Naturally, there is a clue the minute you see the body:

As for Techup's spoiler,

Question, is anyone going to try to Platinum the game? I made the mistake of playing on Cruel Logic and Cruel Action first and...I hate the Bullet Time segments with a passion. I'll never get the trophy for

Regardless, all my hype for #2. Also apparently things are a bit different in the novel and anime. So while I play P4G, I'll go watch the anime to relive my despair *_* Hey, hey, just going to say that Danganronpa has my favourite villain of all time.

17. IchBinSkyr

IchBinSkyr Active Member

PSN ID:
    JessiLyn
    I must say the end game plot twist, I actually suspected the truth. Of course was unable to prove it until the body photo.. but this was during the last investigation, not necessarily before it however.

I am planning to Plat the game, I want to fill out everyone's profiles.. Learn much about them etc. I have however moved to other games to take a break so I wouldn't get bored of the game.

Kurisutina likes this.
  18. Mamono Man

Mamono Man Active Member

I'll just say this game in general made me disgusted. I couldn't finish the first chapter. Let's just say I really liked Sayaka. I honestly can't see the draw to such a dark and depressing game.

I give it credit for it's horrifying SAW type death scenes though. Definitely a game for certain people..I was very unprepared. -_-

I'm glad they added a New Game+ though, really liked the alternate ending. Gave me a little peace of mind. I never would have guessed the ending other wise though, at least from the first chapter.