Do you buy Vita games because you want to support it?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by Ficta_Scriptor, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Ficta_Scriptor

Ficta_Scriptor Well-Known Member

Serious question. This is something that I've considered many times, and I can't help but think it rings true for me. Do you find yourself feeling somehow more inclined to buy Vita games, even if you have a backlog, simply because you feel good about supporting the system?

That's certainly not to say that I buy games that I don't have any interest in. I'm no collector, and I fully intend to play and beat every game that I buy. But I seem to make more allowances for buying Vita games over others, especially if they're Vita exclusives. Like for example, buying Tales of Hearts R over any of the Tales games on PS3. With the PS4, I tend to only think of upcoming games that I am wildly excited about, and forget about the rest. With the Vita, I find myself much more likely to take a plunge on something that I'm not completely convinced by.

I guess in a way... Part of me wants to send a message that the Vita is alive and kicking, and that by supporting it, I can help keep it that way. I love the system a ton, and I've been much more disappointed by the PS4's line-up so far than the Vita. Maybe that's why I feel more inclined, but I don't know...

Can anyone else relate to this?

APA and _:_PuppyShark_:_ like this.
  2. Goro

Goro Well-Known Member

I am more likely to buy physical Vita games on launch day while for other platforms I usually wait for price drops. Part of the reason being certain Vita games becoming hard to find, part of it being Vita games tend to drop in price slower than games on other platforms and part of the reason being I want to support companies still publishing games for it.

Tales of Xillia 1 & 2 and Symphonia have all been $15 at some point while Hearts R has never gone below $45 in Canada to my knowledge. Vita games just don't drop in price here.

3. 2048Dan

2048Dan Well-Known Member

Short answer: No

4. Rat King 64

Rat King 64 Well-Known Member

I don't prioritize systems so much as I prioritize niche games. Many of the games that come out on the Vita in physical form are niche JRPGs that will not have large print runs. I try to buy those kind of games at launch because I want to support the publisher and I don't want to pay the crazy mark-ups that such games seem have on EBay.

Unknownwolf likes this.
  5. Mateus

Mateus Active Member

No, I buy games for Vita (even multi like NFS Most Wanted,Mortal Kombat, Injustice, etc.) because I like to play more in handhelds than in consoles.

APA likes this.
  6. Ficta_Scriptor

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. I generally prefer handhelds, but if a game is very online-centric I'll often choose the console version. I use my Vita a lot at work during break, and I can't rely on the company Wi-Fi. Then again, I tend to prefer single-player games in general.

7. Mateus

Mateus Active Member

I nearly don't play online on Vita. The titles that I go to online play are Soul Sacrifice, Freedom Wars, Killzone and few others.

8. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

9. _:_PuppyShark_:_

_:_PuppyShark_:_ Active Member

PSN ID:
    puppy_shark29-6
    HELL YES.

In fact, once I've made up my ind what Vita I'm actually going to buy second time around, the first thing I'll do will be to get the limited version of DR: UDG and hunt down some other titles that have caught my eye.

Odd question now: Has anyone every bought more than one version of the same game for the sake of supporting the game?

SONY likes this.
  10. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

Yes.

MGS HD Collection
    Everybody's Gold (HSG)

and several more I can't remember right now.

11. Unknownwolf

Unknownwolf Well-Known Member

I bought the Limited and Launch editions of Persona 4 Dancing all Night and Operation Abyss.

I am collecting for the vita but I tend to buy LE on release and leave regular games to if I have spare cash. I mainly do this because some games can skyrocket online and cost way to much.

12. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

I don't, actually - at least not for the Vita (or any platform for that matter.) I have done it for specific developers though, and (while not game-related) certain artists. Even when I do though, I'm usually interested in the product to begin with, it's just a matter of need vs greed, I suppose. Sometimes I just need the excuse to throw money at the people/companies I like.

I've been bitten a few times as a result, but for those specific instances nothing would really have helped me.

13. Unknownwolf

I have been too. Though in some cases the risk has been rewarding. For example I never heard of Ar Nosurge before I ordered it. I fell in love with the game and it is one of my favorite games of all time now.

14. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

^ Are the case covers different though?

15. Unknownwolf

The Limited editions come with a bunch of goodies. The launch editions come in a special box (Usually with a cd)

16. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

I know, but are case covers different though?

17. Unknownwolf

The game cases are exactly the same for persona 4 dancing all night but the backs say not for resale. This is due to the editions, I believe the normal game wouldn't have it

18. Marty_Mate

Marty_Mate Member

I wouldn't buy a game I'm not interested in just because it's on Vita.

APA and SONY like this.
  19. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

lmao, I like getting stuff when the cover art work or ENGLISH name is very different. See examples below.

[​IMG]

20. AceofOpus

AceofOpus Member

I am focusing more of my purchasing power on the Vita both because a lot of games I am interested are coming out on it but also I know a lot of the more niche titles will become super expensive later down the line.

21. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

Speaking of super expensive. Australia has the rarest standard edition PS Vita games on the planet.

22. Ficta_Scriptor

Neither would I! I just happen to be interested in many, many games from various genres and tend to put the Vita first. If I were to buy every game that interested me I'd have a backlog of over a hundred, easily.

APA likes this.
  23. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

My introduction to Gust was simply a Christmas gift my friend picked out entirely at random, and it turned into one of my favourite games (and studios) of all time too (Mana Khemia.)

There was one time I bought a game without much vested interest in it that turned out very well for me though: The Swapper (on Steam, years ago.) I bought it because I got a coupon and I ended up singing its praises for weeks. Vita games don't fly under my radar very often though, (neither do Steam games, now that I pay more attention.)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  24. Ficta_Scriptor

One game I got on a whim was Virtue's Last Reward. I didn't really know what to expect besides 'point and click puzzles,' so I got it for XMas and didn't even play it for nearly a year. Then one day, out of curiosity, I started playing. And it quickly became one of my favourite games of all time.

Also, Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments I got on a while because I was sore about Drivevlub's disastrous launch and wanted a new game. That too became one of my favourite games. :)

25. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with that as long as you've had some fun with the particular game.