Do you still get enough time to play games as an adult?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Lounge' started by JoSoap, Aug 31, 2017.

1. JoSoap

JoSoap Well-Known Member

Just interested in other people's situations. I for example, can only ever talk about games in a forum because no-one I know plays videogames. I used to have tonnes of time as a teenager but now at 27, it seems im the only one still interested! My friends that I went to school with seemed to "grow out" of gaming!

Also my other half thinks it's a massive waste of time and it really pisses me off. I buy lots of games but never finish them. Like ever.

What about you guys? Can you still squeeze in game time with family time or into your daily routine? Do you feel judged for being so interested in games as an adult?

Roscoe Jones likes this.
  2. Axeru777

Axeru777 Well-Known Member

I play games 1-2 hours after work before going to sleep. During my day offs or vacation leaves I get to play at least 8-10 hours per day. My girlfriend is a gamer as well so during our dates while waiting for the food in a restaurant we play rounds on the recent fighting game we've bought (right now it's Ultimate Marvel versus Capcom 3). When we're just hanging around in the dormitory we finish co-op games. The last game that we finished together was God Eater Resurrection, now we're finishing Gundam Breaker 3. I don't care what non-gamers say about playing video games. They can go fuck themselves. I will never stop playing video games.

3. Retro8bit

Retro8bit Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    Retro-8-bit
    I still have plenty of time for games. All done with college, single and working full time. Other than that all the rest of my free time is all about gaming.

Renegade Bastard and zodaex like this.
  4. TriOpticon

TriOpticon Well-Known Member

I am over 50, married and 2 teenage kids. I have been gaming since I was 10 (board, RPGs). I still play video games and now, I play board games, too. My wife plays board games but not video games. One kid only plays video games but not the kind I like and the other prefers watching youtube. I do have time but not an over abundance.

IMO, if your other half's opinion really pisses you off, I do not think that is healthy. No matter what it is about. Communication is the key.

DojoDan likes this.
  5. vita_lover

vita_lover Well-Known Member

Portables do help with this big time. You can play anywhere at any time. It is really easy to find time to play a game on a portable device.

6. JoSoap

JoSoap Well-Known Member

I'm a total idiot and too self conscious to play videogames in public. I brought my Vita on a flight to Spain last week but ended up reading a book for 3 hours insteat of playing Persona 4! It just seemed like the more adult thing to do lol. It's maybe got something to do with where I'm from. I live in the countryside and I've never seen anyone over the age of 12 playing a videogame. Even people I know quite well are surprised when I tell them I play videogames or when they ask about a handheld device in my house I sometimes lie and say they belong to my nieces or nephews. Most of the time they are potential customers for me and I need to be taken seriously. Wish I could go to an island and play games til I died from a blood clot! Ha! Not really.

7. samus1818

samus1818 Active Member

1. I used to feel like I was too old LOL Then I realized that I didn't want to give something that brought me so much happiness!!! I also felt better finding other gamers closer to my age on youtube-https://www.youtube.com/user/MetalJesusRocks. MetalJesus is really cool!!! His channel is just about video games, and I like how gives a lot of thought to his videos. He also has a cool group of friends that are just as passionate about games as he his with their own channels.
    2. I think video games are a great way to have fun, de-stress, collect, see amazing art, hear cool music, meet people, and sometimes it's like being immersed in a great story. Also, they make the time fly when I'm on that long bus ride (oh I'mso grateful for that LOL) There are times when I get stuck, and I get frustrated too LOL :mad: I just switch to a game that I can pick up and play (smash bros), then come back to the stuck game with my laptop LOL I've beaten games that way! Feels so good to beat that game!
    3. Sometimes I get so busy that I can't play, but I like having games as an option to do something for fun :D Oh those RPGs! I love them, but they demand so much time! I want the strongest spells, weapons, and summons! LOL I do get judged for playing video games, but I just ignore it. I don't care, and I think people get judged for whatever hobbies they have, right? I think there's always that critic who will have a problem with everything.

KaiserDragon likes this.
  8. Wayne

Wayne New Member

I'm 45 and still play video games. The wife says that only kids play video games, but who cares. Do what you enjoy.

9. Findad

Findad Member

38 and play - not as much as I did - seems to come in waves - played a lot up to 18 then hardly at all until mid 20s then lots again - back into it now. I know what you mean about playing in public though. Im nearly 40 so will get more judged than you!

10. Xorro

Xorro Member

I'm 42 (and female) and I still love video games, I don't get a lot of time to play, I manage an hour after work M-F if I am lucky (before I go out to pick up the O/H from the train station). The O/H isn't in to gaming but understands that I really like it. I find it a good way to de-stress after work. Since buying the Vita earlier this year I've been able to play a bit at lunch too.

JoSoap I played Putty Squad on my Vita while flying to Nice last week - one of the flight attends looked over and said he really needs to buy one :) I finished it while I was away so came back playing Uncharted Golden Abyss.

I hope I'm still gaming when I'm in my 80's!

Wayne and TriOpticon like this.
  11. Roscoe Jones

Roscoe Jones PSN ID: Roscoe369 Friend Me!

Very good question here!! I'm in the same exact boat as you friend! I have a career and it's hard because of time restraints on n off duty but I FIND or MAKE time to game. I game (vita) during down time at work. I enjoy playing games of course, that's why I've been playing over 20 years but I game at work so I can finish a game to move on to the next. I keep at least 5 games in rotation including one being the main game. The games range across different systems. Most being handhelds which are very very flexible and convenient. As you may know, I love the Vita like most on here so the fact that I have a soft-modded pstv that plays almost all vita games is awesome...i can play a game at work and then swap from vita to my PSTV n use my v2 dualshock 4! It's awesome! Idont care if people think gaming is for kids which nowadays there's no such thing. Video games are made for various ages all over the world! Like u i have no friends that's into games but I have a couple comrades who like gaming as much as I. Thanks for asking this question, so I can share a little with the gaming world.

Renegade Bastard, zodaex and Wayne like this.
  12. Fanny Magnet

Fanny Magnet Sex God!

Plenty of time to play games (on the sick), plenty of games to play, probably got 60 games for my PS3, Vita and 2DS in backlog.

But a 48 year old chartered accountant spending all day on the sick playing computer games, just feels a bit odd.

Back to BBC news 24.....

13. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

31 years old here. Still lots of time, and I play daily. I probably play more than I should. However, I have this issue that the games I want to play are far and few between. Been addicted to Dark Souls this past month. I kinda want to stop playing it, after reach new game +6, but there's little else other than Hustle Kings Vita or Fifa 18 Switch that interests me either.

My main problem with gaming is that it's become habitual. I just naturally turn a console on and start playing whenever I've even just 5 minutes, especially now considering how convenient it is to jump right into a game on the Vita or Switch.

I don't know anyone else who plays games. I've one friend back in the UK who likes retro games, but that's it. It's strange, gaming is supposed to be so much more popular now, and yet I still feel a little stigmatised for playing them.

I have a GF and, thankfully, she's very understanding, up until the point where I play games when I should be doing something more constructive (or what she thinks would be so).

Gaming is also important to me as it's my main way of dealing with the stress of certain aspects of life. Work relationships at the job have recently gone south, and it's partly thanks to gaming for taking my mind off of things that I haven't gone completely crazy at times.

Like what Roscoe Jones says, I've not a problem with gaming. I'm at an age where I care less and less what people think of me. If my GF accepts and allows me to play games, the only one in my life who really matters to me right now, then it doesn't matter even if the rest of the world looks down on me for doing so.

Roscoe Jones likes this.
  14. Roscoe Jones

Roscoe Jones PSN ID: Roscoe369 Friend Me!

Well said! Thanks for sharing. Game on but handle business too as an adult [of course that goes without saying really]. What you do in you're personal life /free time is your business. I say, who f!@king cares. We all gotta d.i.e. someday...let ME be concerned of how I'm gonna get there! Im productive in society, i gotta CAREER, make decent money, own my house & car...im not hurting anyone by committing heinous crimes. I'm a good guy! Leave me alone and Let me play my video games ...hell I don't do drugs and never have unless you call video games drugs. Of so, well I've been a junky since a lad LOL. Thanks again Terramax ! I wish I had more time to game becuz I have a huge Vita backlog!

Terramax likes this.