Does Anyone Use Cradle Chargers?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by Trent, May 5, 2014.

1. Trent

Trent Owner, PS Vita Reviews

PSN ID:
    L2K7
    [​IMG] upload_2014-5-5_15-52-50.jpeg

I just recently purchased and started using the Cradle Charger Sony released for the Slim Vita in Japan, as I wanted something that could charge the system and stand it up, so I could watch Netflix and whatnot while in bed and stuff like that. I looked around and found this cradle on Play Asia, and decided to order it. After using it, I really like it.

What I do like the most about it is how small it is. Not only does it work well and have a secure grip on the system, but you can hold the system while it's in the charger and play it like it wasn't plugged in at all and just set it down when you want to leave it for the night or watch Netflix or Hulu Plus or something. Much smaller and more portable than the original model's cradle.

What this leads into is Cradle Chargers. Everyone out there that owns a Vita, do you use one?

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  2. Chaz3010

Chaz3010 Former Deputy Editor Staff Member

PSN ID:
    Chaz3010
    I do, I have the one on the left for my Vita. I always buy the official docks/cradles where possible for all my gadgets, plus it prefer not to have the lay my Vita down on it's rear touchpad on hard surfaces. Plus it makes it easier to put it on and take it off charge, as it slots into and out of the cradle with great ease.

3. MageOfRevenants

MageOfRevenants Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    MageOfRevenants
    I use this one by nyko. I love it. It has built in speakers! Was only $15 at gamestop.

4. J_a_m_e_s

J_a_m_e_s New Member

I use the official stand that's on the left, well I sometimes use it. I tend to just plug it straight into the cable most of the time. Its a good stand tho, plug a speaker into it and its louder than if connected to the vita.

5. Karl Smith

Karl Smith #supersmith2500

PSN ID:
    supersmith2500
    I'd would of gotten one if game retailers sell them in the UK.

ixbeefxi likes this.
  6. Mr Tornado

Mr Tornado Well-Known Member

Two year bump for this thread!

So, for some reason, I've never bothered with a cradle, but now I'd like one for the OLED. Looking on Amazon UK, they're £34.00 new, £25.00 on eBay (from the US) or £14.00 from Amazon.com.

Does anyone here use/recommend them?

7. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

I wanted 1 for my OLED Vita but then 3 things made me not buy it:

1. They are extremely expensive over here IF you find them (around €55)
    2. I wanted one for use with Netflix but those bastards made the app for US only
    3. You need an extra charger for it, or at least the charging cable

But it looks very nice to show off your Vita on it.

8. kborom

kborom Member

Yeah use the one on the left with a cheap cable, around £30 for the pair off Amazon. Use it only for charging and downloading though.

9. TriOpticon

TriOpticon Active Member

I have the cradle on the left for my original PSVita which I purchased right after getting the Vita. It is a great place to put it safely. If I had a Slim I would definitely get a stand for it. I don't suppose anyone has tried some generic USB-B charging stand that works with the slims?

10. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

I did saw a new Vita cradle today, but I'm not an idiot to pay €65 for it...

DankZaku likes this.
  11. Retro8bit

Retro8bit Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    Retro-8-bit
    For me personally I never saw the point of cradle charges, when the AC adapter does the same thing.

12. TriOpticon

TriOpticon Active Member

For me, the stand is more of a place to store it without laying it on the table than it being a charger.

13. Amos67

Amos67 Well-Known Member

i need to get on to these cradle charges, it would make a great showpiece. i wonder if i can find a white one for a future white oled vita hahaha

14. ixbeefxi

ixbeefxi Well-Known Member

This

15. 3VOLVE

3VOLVE Well-Known Member

I do. Sometimes I go without it, such as when I'm downloading games but playing other games while those are downloading.

16. TriOpticon

TriOpticon Active Member

A friend found this on the US eBay site and it does work with the PS Vita Slim as she just received it and tried it out.
    http://r.ebay.com/y7gQ8E

Not sure about the other ones seen:

Charges a PS4 controller and a PSVita 2000, http://r.ebay.com/w8GVL3 , but a bit more expensive.
    And then there is this one, http://r.ebay.com/ohiIqR , which does not look very sturdy as far as supporting the Vita.

17. Exia

Exia Member

I have the one of the left that I use as a display stand.

18. Kenza

Kenza Member

I actually have an old video of mine on Youtube, with a wireless bluetooth receiver hooked up to a small amp to some bookshelf speakers.....If i can link here and / or post (i'm a N00b here) I will link the video, but just remember, i made it for family and friends, but i posted because i thought it might help others.

TriOpticon likes this.
  19. APA

APA Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    APA_ZAROZO
    I only charge my PS Vita with it. Cables tend to resist more with it, since it's always in a fixed location and position. While it charges I play on my PSTV or PS4.