Exploring My Memories with Vita

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by PixelKnot, Dec 16, 2019.

1. PixelKnot

PixelKnot Well-Known Member

Man, so much nostalgia. I rediscovered a Best Buy bag that has been sitting in my closet for years and I decided to pull it out and look. It was the special white Assassin's Creed Liberation bundle that released at the tail end of October 2012. I remember my purchase fondly as I went in my local store and pre-ordered mine 3 days prior to release.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2012 was the year I graduated from high school. One of the gifts I got from my family was a $60 GameStop gift card. I used it towards the 16GB memory card which was that exact price point at the time (which was perfect!).

[​IMG]

I also went by Target and bought Need for Speed: Most Wanted, Gravity Rush, and LittleBigPlanet Vita for a buy 2, get 1 free deal. I remember getting bummed about not getting Uncharted Golden Abyss and WipeOut. Howver, to my surprise, Sony saved those two games to be premiere for the Instant Game Collection in November of the same year. This news made me a happy camper. I've became a subscriber since.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

@Engadget https://www.engadget.com/2012/11/13/ps-plus-hits-vita-on-november-19/

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  2. PixelKnot

Here's a snip of one of the receipts I've saved from Target. My GameStop one is unreadable due to the print fading over time.
    [​IMG]

3. PixelKnot

The other day I looked back on an old post of mine on a now deceased Vita forum that detailed my initial thoughts and experience with the Vita when I played a demo unit at Best Buy.
    [​IMG]

Terramax likes this.
  4. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

Which deceased vita forum was that? Was it the same one that was taken over by that Carlos guy, whom tried to merge it with a few other dead forums? If so, I was on that forum too, and I think its downfall was partly the reason this site and forum started in the first place.

I don't really have any photos or anything to show. I guess I could show photos of my first Vita console (out of action due to a broken left dpad button) and my first title for the system. Not sure if anyone would be interested, but when I have the time I'll try to write a short summary of when I first bought the console, and how it quite literally because my favourite console from the moment I started playing my first game on it (which is still my 2nd favourite game of all time now)

PixelKnot likes this.
  5. PixelKnot

Yes, that forum. It was originally called psvitaforum until it became PS Independent at some point. I remember you and Murphy were there too. That was my favorite go-to place for Vita until activity died and went through many phases of trying to remain relevant.
    Turning it into a FPS focused forum is what ultimately drove the last few members including me away.

If you can, I would like to see your first Vita and game whenever you get a chance. I'm pretty curious.

6. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

Alright, no time for photos and not like there's anything special to show, but I'll give a story. I'll be amazed if anyone takes the time to read through it ll though.

Back a few months before the Vita was released, it was shown in stores around the UK. I had a go. I thought the graphics were impressive, but at the time I was on the fence about getting one. Prior, my main handheld of choice was the original DS, and all my friends and younger sister not only had one too, but we would at least once or twice a month meet up at a relaxing pub in the countryside and have adhoc multiplayer matches for hours on end, up to 7 players! Yep, up to 7 of us playing Mario Kart, Worms Open Warfare 2, and the odd other title.

Naturally, none of these people were interested in the Vita. They didn't want to spend the amount of money, and it didn't have the high-profile multiplayer games we all loved. The 3DS was already out, and the sister already had one soo, in the end, I decided to grab a 3DS, assuming that all my other friends would get one eventually too. I got one with Ridge Racer 3D, Mario Kart, Star Fox 64, and Kid Icarus Uprising. All multiplayer titles. The console was ok. But even thought this was the smaller screen model, the graphics were STILL pixellated. Even more so than the PSP! The 3D gimmick was shit, to be perfectly honest, and the graphics were barely any better than the PSP either.

Suffice to say my friends weren't impressed and ultimately only one of the 5 friends actually bothered to buy one, if only for the JRPGs on it. Meanwhile, the Vita came out, and it became increasingly more tempting with every passing day. Then I saw videos of Gravity Rush and I thought 'fuck it! I'll get a Vita too.'

Walk down to the local store the next day and see Vitas for sale, but Gravity Rush isn't out yet, so what game do I buy with the console? The store (either GAME or Gamestation) had an offer of one of 6 games to choose from for free.

The only game I was remotely interested in was Wipeout 2048, but this wasn't one of the 6 games. In the end, I bought the console with a new and sealed copy of 'Modnation'. However, when the store clerk told me "you need to buy a memory card to play the Vita" I told him "Nah. I'll just order one cheaper on the internet (they were significantely cheaper on Amazon) and will just play my first game without a memory card for the first 1 or 2 days whilst I wait."

So, I go home with the Vita and Modnation. As soon as I fire up the console and see those crystal clean graphics for the first time it immediately impresses. The last time visuals to a console blew me away in such a way was the dreamcast over a decade before. However, as soon as the console works, it tells me that I literally am NOT allowed to play a vita game unless I have a memory card installed.

Not wanting to wait a day or two to play the thing, I decide to walk back to the store (30 minutes) and buy a memory card after all. And another thing. I looked at Modnation and decided it wasn't the game I wanted to play either. The more I thought about it, the more another game of the 6 caught my curiosity. It was part of a series that I had long heard good things about, and briefly played an earlier installment, but not enough to understand it. But this latest installment looked pretty darn good. I decided I would ask them if I could switch the Modnation game to this other title instead.

I get to the store, buy the memory card, then pull out my copy of Modnation and ask if I could switch it for a copy of 'Everybody's Golf' instead. The clerk confirms this is ok, and I walk back home with my 4GB memory card and Everybody's Golf.

Get home, put both the mem card and Everybody's Golf and fire my first game up.

I don't know what it was, but in spite of being absolutely fucking terrible at it, it immediately clicked with me. I played it all day, every day. I ordered other games for the Vita, but even when Gravity Rush came out, which was obviously a day-one purchase, I found myself still playing EG more than anything else.

5 weeks passed and I didn't play the 3DS even once outside of multiplayer matches with my original DS owner friends. I had zero interested in the console and, seeing as my friends weren't interested in getting one, I decided to sell it off for more Vita titles. Didn't regret it. Never looked back.

The Vita is the ONLY console I have ever owned that I have not sold off at one point. I have never once contemplated selling it off, even when I was seriously hurting for money when I first came to Japan. I played Everybody's Golf EVERY DAY for about a year and a half. Not a single day went by that I didn't play it during that time. Even after 1.5 years, for the next few years, it was played at least a few times a week. It remains my 2nd favourite game of all time, only ousted by Tenchu Z for the Xbox 360. I still play it maybe once or twice a month even now.

PixelKnot and TriOpticon like this.
  7. PixelKnot

I had a similar relationship with the 3DS and wasn't a fan of that system at all. After a few years, I ended up selling my Flame Red console to a co-worker. Everything about the hardware was lackluster, even compared to the PSP at times. Sound volume was extremely low at maximum when wearing headphones. Anyone remember using the YouTube app and Nintendo Video on it? The quality was quite bad. Despite being 6 years older, PSP blows the 3DS out of the water regarding its multimedia features. The only games that I recall that took real advantage of the 3DS hardware were the Resident Evil games, Nano Assault and some of the first party titles. The DS made up for its hardware limitations by changing up the way how games are played with its dual screen and microphone set up. Those unique features are greatly reduced on the 3DS. The 3D function was only usable for me when I was looking through photos. I found trying to play games with 3D distracting and didn't make the experience feel immersive.

Games-wise, Mario and Kingdom Hearts were really the main reasons I wanted to get the thing.
    Super Mario 3D Land was pretty good, but I was expecting something more ambitious in the vein of the Galaxy games. Mario Kart 7, however, was pretty disappointing.
    I could not get into Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance with its messy gameplay structure and unnecessary additions.

Maybe I will revisit the 3DS in the future to give it another go, but those were my thoughts while owning it at the time.

Also- Everybody's Golf on the Vita was my introduction to the series and it's quite fun (despite being inexperienced with golf games as well.)
    Being able to swing some shots as Kat was awesome.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  8. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

Initiall, Mario Kart 7 was really disappointing. However, years later, I owned a 2nd time and found out you can actually play in 1st person mode, which actually made the game feel much faster hence more enjoyable (my biggest issue was that it felt way too slow). But, yeah, Mario Kart is Mario Kart. They`ve stagnated ever since Double Dash.

Ridge Racer 3D was pretty good. Got to play 3 players once, and that was fun, though I completely destroyed my two friends. No online was a bumber. Star Fox 64`s multiplayer was fun, but only 4 maps. Sadly, none of my friends wanted to play. I love Star Fox multiplayer. If my friends were to have all owned a 3DS, this would have been my game of choice. Kid Icarus` multiplayer was good too, but they shouldn`t have forced those touch controlls.

But, yeah, since buying a grip for the PSP, I have come to enjoy that console a whole lot more. I think the 2 screens work against the 3DS too as, like you mention, few games seem to utilise it in any meaningful way, and it upped the cost when they could have had just one screen and made it almost as powerful as the vita.

Then again, when all is said and done, you mainly play Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games. I`m just not into Ninty games. I`m looking to sell off Pokemon Sword today as it just pales in comparison to Yokai Watch 4.

But, back to the Vita I guess, most of my memories arent with the games themselves but the places I went with the console. So many memories of being on the Japan trains whilst playing certain games.