Official Topic F.A.Q. & Tips

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita Help' started by Kyle, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Kyle

Kyle Just Some Guy Staff Member

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    PlayStation Vita Hardware:

Specifications common to all models;
    • CPU: Quad Core ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore @ 2GHz (Max)
    • GPU: 4-core PowerVR SGX543MP4+
    • Memory: 512 MB RAM, 128 MB VRAM
    • Network: 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1+ EDR (Note: 3G model also available)

OLED Model (1000) Specific;
    • Video: via 5 inch qHD Capacitive OLED with Multi-touch (960 x 544 pixels @ 220ppi)
    • Audio: Two speakers, headphone port (3.5mm) and audio over bluetooth
    • Power: 2200 mAh Battery
    • Connector: Proprietary USB
    • Other Features: Rear touchpad, six-axis motion sensor, three-axis electronic compass
    • Physical Dimensions: h 8.36 cm / w 18.20cm / d 1.86cm - (3.3” / 7.2” / 0.7”)
    • Weight: 260g Wifi Edition / 279g 3G Edition

LCD Model (2000) Specific;
    • Video: via 5 inch qHD Capacitive LCD with Multi-touch (960 x 544 pixels @ 220ppi)
    • Audio: Two speakers, headphone port (3.5mm) and audio over bluetooth
    • Power: 2210 mAh Battery
    • Internal Storage: 1GB (available only without memory card inserted)
    • Connector: Micro USB
    • Other Features: Rear touchpad, six-axis motion sensor, three-axis electronic compass
    • Physical Dimensions: h 8.51 cm / w 18.34cm / d 1.50cm - (3.35” / 7.22” / 0.59”)
    • Weight: 218g

PlayStation TV/PSVita TV Specific;
    • Video: 480p/720p/1080i output via HDMI
    • Audio: 2-channel output via HDMI or bluetooth
    • Power: 5V DC
    • Internal Storage: 1GB (available only without memory card inserted)
    • Connector: USB (for controller charging, sync, and connection - as well as USB-sourced firmware updates)
    • Other Features: 10/100 Ethernet port, controller support
    • Physical Dimensions: h 6.5 cm / w 10.5cm / d 1.36cm - (2.56” / 4.13” / 0.54”)
    • Weight: 110g
    -

PSN:

Your PSN account is linked to your PlayStation Vita Memory Card, and to some extent to your Vita system itself. You can not have more than one account on any one memory card; to switch accounts without formatting the card every time, you need another memory card.

Vita games are not region locked, so if you DO have another account you can buy digital games outside your region and use them - but you'll need a second memory card (or to back up all your data every time you switch, which sucks). Alternatively, you can also import physical games from out of region and use them on your own region’s account (IE a Japanese game on a US account) - though in this case you won’t be able to buy DLC or activate online passes, but will still get patches.

Games/DLC you pay for (even if it was on sale for a penny with PS+) are forever linked to the account used to buy them, and you can download them again whenever you wish.

-

Backwards Compatibility:

The Vita can play PS One Classics, PlayStation Minis, and PSP games that are compatible with the system. Since there’s no way to insert physical copies, these games can only be used if purchased from the PlayStation Store on the PSN. Some games are unavailable due to licensing reasons or compatibility issues, so check before you assume it’s available. (Also note, some games are available in one region, and not others for these same reasons)

With the PlayStation TV this becomes even more complicated, as a game must be added to a whitelist (a list of games both confirmed and allowed to work) by the developer and then agreed to by PlayStation. If a game isn't on the whitelist it won't start, so around 1/3 of the Vita's catalogue is unplayable for this reason.

For a list of what's compatible, see the PSTV column on this page.

-

Tips for maintenance/use:
    • Turning off Bluetooth and/or Wi-Fi will save battery life on Vita. Turning down the brightness also conserves, the lower you can go; the better
    • Setting "Use Wi-Fi in Power Save Mode" to checked (on) will use less power, but your connection to the internet will be slower and less stable. Uncheck the option for a more responsive connection at higher speeds.
    • Setting the Vita's "Enter Standby Mode Automatically" time (and setting a low value) will help to conserve battery life.
    • Bluetooth headsets (Like the ones for hands free / PS3) will work with the Vita/PSTV.
    • If you don't want your downloads to stop when you're in stand-by mode, let your Vita fall asleep due to the sleep timer, don't use the power button to force stand-by. Forcing stand-by disables the internet connection as it assumes you're done with using the Vita.
    • The "save transfer" icon on the livescreen tile won't work unless the save file you're looking for is on a PSVita game card.
    • Hold the + and - volume buttons together on a Vita to get a quick mute function (then vol +/- to disable mute)
    -

PSVita Serial Number:

Your Serial Number is located on the bottom of the Vita (not the back), on the right hand side.
    It's formatted like this: HU####### ("HU" + 7 digits) - To enter this anywhere (Sony applications), you need to use "HU" + "0" + 7 digits.

Alternatively, you can remove the two letters from the left side number (the other sticker), and use "HU" + the first eight numbers.

-

PSVita Light Codes

OLED Model:

• No Light - The system is powered off, or idling in stand-by mode (not performing any tasks)
    • Solid Orange - The system is powered off but is still charging, or the system is in stand-by and charging.
    • Flashing Orange - The battery is charging, but is too low to power on (In reserve mode so your game place isn't lost) This is an infrequent flashing.
    • Solid Blue - The PS Vita is on and not in forced stand-by, doesn't matter whether it's charging or not.
    • Flashing Blue - Notification pending; apparently any kind of notification. (Includes system errors, updates, Livescreen refreshes, people coming online/going offline, messages, any in-app/in-game notifications, etc) or system performing a task while in stand-by (ie; checking email, downloading a game update, etc)
    LCD Model:
    • Solid Green - Your PS Vita is on
    • Flashing Green - Your PS Vita is in standby mode, or is in the process of turning off
    • Slowly Flashing Green - Low battery warning
    • Solid Orange - Your PS Vita is currently charging
    -

Frozen Vita/PSTV?

If your PlayStation Vita freezes, hold the power button for thirty seconds.
    [If it doesn't turn off, then you'll have to wait until the battery dies.]

If your Vita has icons that're "messed up", keeps giving you errors, or crashing; do the following; [Note: this may reset icon placement and backgrounds; but NOT your data]
    1. Turn the Vita Off (Not in stand-by)
    2. Hold the "R" shoulder button + PlayStation Button + Power (or just Power on PSTV)
    3. When the Safe Mode menu comes up, select Rebuild
    4. Restart your system.
    If that doesn't fix your problem, or if you're having trouble; make a thread.
    -

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  2. James

James New Member

Are you going out the 2000 out of interest? I think it has a gig of a RAM?
    Edit: Having googled this I'm not sure it does but could've sworn I heard/read it somewhere. And I'm not getting confused in with internal storage.
    Edit 2: Ignore me, I'm being stupid.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  3. Jawessome

Jawessome Permanent Resident of Vita Island

PSN ID:
    PurrrePunjabi
    Fantastic FAQ.

4. hahmad

hahmad New Member

Could you kindly add specs for the PCH-2000?

Kyle likes this.
  5. hunterslasher13

hunterslasher13 Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    hunterslasher27
    Man could of used this earlier when I first got a vita, it's a good FAQ.

6. Kyle

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    Coming soon, this isn't done yet - just adding to it as I go ;)

7. fivearchers

fivearchers New Member

Here's my general PS4 and Vita troubleshooting tip if you keep getting network errors:

Seems like in my case neither system liked my ISP's DNS servers, so after manually setting DNS to googles, I was able to get past the error codes.

Primary DNS - 8.8.8.8
    Seondary DNS - 8.8.4.4

(my new router has this set for everything i've never gone back to see if I can just use auto settings again)

8. antic604

antic604 Member

Great FAQ! Thanks a lot :)

9. xtemma

xtemma Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    NA: XtemmA2 / Asian: XtemmA
    Hey Kyle, im away from home and just tried using my new laptop with USB 3G modem for internet connection. So, the Content Manager is installed and successfully USB cable connected with the Vita. But i cant copy games Vita>PC. Copying music files or videos PC>Vita works, but not Vita>PC. The progress bar froze and the timer kept counting up to infinity.
    2013-12-28-021715.jpg
    The only way to cancel it is by unplugging the USB cable. Do you happen to know anything about this? :confused:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  10. jpelgrom

jpelgrom Member

Assuming you're using Windows, check the permissions for the 'PS Vita' folder in your Documents. Try right-clicking on the folder > Properties > make sure 'Read-only' is empty or a square, but not a checkmark.
    I also believe (but I'm not entirely sure) you need an active internet connection to copy games over to a PC, so maybe your 3G connection isn't stable/fast enough.

xtemma likes this.
  11. Papertale

Papertale Member

Yup you need an active internet connection for CMA to work. Maybe the connection breaks off in the middle of transfer
    Try changing your folder of psvita backup/restore

12. xtemma

xtemma Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    NA: XtemmA2 / Asian: XtemmA
    Yeah, maybe 3G connection is the problem. I can copy Vita>PC some photo files, PSP save data files, just not anything bigger than 5MB in size like mp3s, mp4 videos, and games. Sigh.. i need to backup my games. Downloading a 3GB file via 3G takes 12 hours. #cryingatthecornerwithlaughingsound.

Edit: it was this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  13. Kyle

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    Try OpenCMA, it doesn't require a net connection.

14. Magnumstache

Magnumstache Well-Known Member

I remember seeing a detailed guide to switching accounts on a PS Vita somewhere before and found it really helpful. I thought it was on the old forum but I may have imagined it. It would be really good to have something to that effect either on the main site or in here though, as my recollection is that it was a fairly fiddly process!

Cheers,

Magnumstache.

Kyle likes this.
  15. Kyle

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    I'll add the account switching guide as soon as I get a chance; for now I've updated the OP to include new tips, the PSVita PCH-2000 specs and more.

16. jpelgrom

jpelgrom Member

1 Maybe you could add that these light codes are for the 1000-model? The 2000 uses different light codes ('part' B).
    2 Maybe I have some weird kind of standby mode, but for me it's possible to put the system in standby, and have the PS button light turn off after 2-3 mins.
    3 You can stop the LiveArea screen refresh notifications; go to [Settings] > [Notifications] > [LiveArea™ Screen Refresh Status], and you'll find the usual three options here (European model (1004), system software 3.01).
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Kyle

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    If you put the system in standby, it's the same as it being off, however if you let the system go to standby, it won't actually disconnect from the internet. This is stated loosely in the tips for maintaining section;

Pressing power to go into standby disables the internet connection and will therefore not be able to give you notifications - which negates the light.

18. James

James New Member

I would include access to custom PSone/PSP controlw and other settings when you hold down the home button.

19. Jawessome

Jawessome Permanent Resident of Vita Island

PSN ID:
    PurrrePunjabi
  20. Kyle

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    Added some new tips and tricks. :)

Hana likes this.
  21. hahmad

hahmad New Member

Very nicely done. I've seen some spec. sheets before, but nothing like this. I would want to do graphical comparison of the GPU.

22. Argetlam1993

Argetlam1993 New Member

Could you explain about the DLC and saves? If I bough a game physically, would the DLC and saves be stored in the game cards or the memory card?

23. Kyle

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    Certain saves are stored on the game card, however it's not readily apparent which ones and I don't know of a list. No DLC is ever saved on the game card, it all goes on the memory card.

hahmad and Argetlam1993 like this.
  24. hahmad

hahmad New Member

According to my experience, everything that is downloaded, is stored and installed on the memory card (I don't purchase a lot of physical games for the Vita, mostly digital).

Strange behavior, I'm pretty sure I've copied about 4 games Vita > PC.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2014
  25. Xorro

Xorro Member

I have a question about playing games from another region on one profile. I understand about re-formatting the Vita etc, but if UK-me wants to play a game that Japanese-me purchased how would I do that?