Final fantasy sale US

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita Games' started by ExpandDong, Feb 15, 2017.

1. ExpandDong

ExpandDong Active Member

R those early final fantasy games good?

dunpeal2064 likes this.
  2. dunpeal2064

dunpeal2064 Active Member

Which ones are you curious about? (Its 2016, not sure what "early" is considered nowadays :))

3. ExpandDong

ExpandDong Active Member

Well the ones before 10 lol as 10 is the first I've played.

4. dunpeal2064

dunpeal2064 Active Member

I would say 4-9 are all worth playing, and range from good to absolutely superb. My favorites among those would be 4, 6, 7, and 9.

1-3 have yet to really stick the FF formula of character driven narrative and super feelsy moments (Which 4 nails within minutes of its opening). They are more classic rpgs with the traditional classes. Fun enough but not great imo. 5 feels like the final game of this style, and I think it does it best, so if you want to play a classic ff, 5 is the one.

8 is okay, just weird. It has a super in-depth system, but its totally imbalanced. In general the characters and main story are weaker. Still some good fun to be had.

4 and 6 are too good to be on the snes and pretty much changed jrpgs forever, and have aged insanely well. 7 has probably aged the worst, and also has an insane hype that it might not be able to live up to, but its still fantastic. 9 is pretty much the swan song to the original creator's series before it moved on to its modern form starting with 10.

Hope this helps! I'll admit to being a bit of a FF fanboy :p

5. Dee0342

Dee0342 Well-Known Member

I think the only one that lacks its own personality is 2. At the time the game brought a lot of new things but all those things have been done better in tons of rpgs that came after it leaving FF2 as title without a charm of its own.

Certainly pick up Final Fantasy Tactics, it is one of the best games ever made.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    Whimsical Red likes this.
  6. DankZaku

DankZaku Well-Known Member

Get the PSP version of IV if you can, so good. Also like Dee said, get Final Fantasy Tactics. Its amazing. Then if you like it, grab Tactics Ogre (my favorite). They have two of the best story's/game play of any SRPG available on the system.

7. Mr Tornado

Mr Tornado Well-Known Member

I bought FF VIII & War of the Lions in the last FF sale & have the urge to buy more today even though I'll never get around to playing them. :oops:

8. salv-ice

salv-ice Member

The sale is also on the EU PSN :D

I'm getting VII, IX and Tactics !

9. EckyThump

EckyThump Active Member

I love the old FF games, but unfortunately not all of the Vita ones are the ones I'd say are the definitive versions.

The ones on the eShop are, to my knowledge,

FF1 - PSP 20th anniversary, PSP remake of the GBA 'Dawn of Souls' edition with PSP exclusive content.
    FF2 - PSP 20th anniversary, PSP remake of the GBA 'Dawn of Souls' edition with PSP exclusive content.

HIGHLY recommend these! Everyone will give me some guff for enjoying FF2 because of its strange and almost incomprehensible levelling system but it is actually a thing of beauty once you understand where they were going with it. Absolutely the definitive versions, they look and play awesomely.

FF3 - Port of the DS version

FF3 was...ok, and the one on Vita is the definitive edition. They removed the Mognet message system which unlocks the Onion Knight jobs and bonus dungeon, but you can still unlock them just by progressing through the game. Since DS players can no longer do that without being a cheatyface (due to the Nintendo WFC service being discontinued) that's a plus.

FF4 - PSP IV Complete

Another highly recommended one. IV complete contains the definitive version of FFIV (ported from GBA) with the bonus boss and dungeons (Cave of Trials, Lunar Ruins), FFIV The After Years (ported from the Wii) and a Vita exclusive 'Intermission' linking the two games. The After Years is a bit poo though.
    None of the exclusive content from the DS 3D remake is included though - the two bonus bosses, the augments, etc. They aren't worth it anyway!

FF5 - PS1 Classic

The GBA version is the definitive one. The PS1 classic version enjoys long load times and glitches, but it's better than the abominable mobile port.

FF6 - PS1 Classic

Again, the GBA version is the definitive one in terms of additional content, translation quality, etc.

FF7 - PS1 port
    FF8 - PS1 port
    FF9 - PS1 port

These are all good games, especially 9. I'm not sure how they compare to the PC versions on Steam but there's nothing to complain about in terms of quality or performance.

10. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

Is the PS1 version of FF9 really a port? If I recall the game was originally developed for that platform and the first port didn't come until years and years later.

11. EckyThump

EckyThump Active Member

Sorry, just to clarify, I mean the versions of 7, 8 and 9 on the Vita are ports (or perhaps more accurately, emulations?) of the versions originally released originally on the PS1.

zodaex likes this.
  12. Dee0342

I personally think that the PSX version of 5 is just fine. The translation is a bit rough but has a lot more personality then the GBA version and the loading screens are not so bad.

dunpeal2064 likes this.
  13. DankZaku

The loading times are bad lol. No where near as awful as the PS1 version of Chrono Trigger though! That was the worst.

14. Stellaking

Stellaking Active Member

These US / EU deals are in celebration of Final Fantasy's 30th anniversary right?
    Temped to hit up XIV ARR (again) if I can push to it.

Edit: Just to note, if you can? Hit up the US sale (if you have an account) for older PS One titles. Those 'days of yore' PAL & EU display & speed
    limitations still apply within emulation - NTSC might be the better option there.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    Dee0342 likes this.
  15. The_stats_guy

The_stats_guy Well-Known Member

Been waiting for the FF games to go back on sale. Think i'm gonna pick up 6,7,9 and tactics. Never played any of them before

16. Dee0342

But isn't it possible to speed up the loading with some of the hardware options while running on PSP/PS3/PSVita?

17. The_stats_guy

i'd like to know how to do this if it is possible

18. Dee0342

I found this: [Settings]>[Other Settings]>[Disc Load Speed], but I saw people claiming that it makes little difference. I can't speak from own experience though.

DankZaku and The_stats_guy like this.
  19. The_stats_guy

thanks, gonna give it a go :)

DankZaku and Dee0342 like this.
  20. DankZaku

Yep I was going to post that too. It does wonders for some titles but unfortunately those are few in number. Still worth a shot tho. Even tho I think the load times are bad on some of the PS1 games that doesn't mean they aren't worth playing tho! The only one I straight up can't deal with is Chrono Trigger. On SNES and DS the transition from exploring to battle happens instantly. On PS1 theres a few second delay literally every time you enter battle or open the menu. Its so jarring to me after having beat the SNES version so many times. Plus the DS version is the definitive version for sure. FF thread I know lol but sort of on topic.

Dee0342 likes this.
  21. Dee0342

Yes, Chrono Trigger is really bad on the original playstation, same goes for FF VI, but I found FF IV and V doable.

DankZaku likes this.