For those who own a 3DS as well as a Vita.

Discussion in 'Nintendo Discussion' started by Curtis, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

I'm just curious how you compare the two systems. I have both, and I actually have many more games for the Vita as apposed to the 3DS - a trend unlikely to change this year. What do you like about the 3DS, what gaming need does it fulfill as apposed to the Vita for you? What could the Vita take from the 3DS? What could the 3DS take from the Vita? Do you prefer one over the other for any function and if so, why? If you buy cross-platform games which version do you buy?

The two may be opponents in the same market but that doesn't mean you have to pick only one of them, and you certainly aren't required to praise one and denounce the other either. Discuss, debate, banter - or accuse me of fan-boy-ism for bringing 3DS discussion to a Vita forum.

Roscoe Jones and sharpteeth like this.
  2. Kyle

Kyle Just Some Guy Staff Member

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    I think the last time I played my 3DS was about 6 months ago - that should tell you enough right there,

Terramax likes this.
  3. CharZarz

CharZarz Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    FruitOnline
    Can I have it?lol.

Ok I used to have a 3ds so I can tell you what I hate and like :) The 3ds to me was super boring! But I believe the reason why I was so bored of the 3ds is because my parents where not to wealthy at that time so we couldn't afford stuff. Sadly I only had 1 3ds game, its was Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D. It was fun for me, and my friend (BIG ZELDA FAN) Loved the game ALOT! But later on I sold my 3ds because the 3ds is lacking some features. 1. To hard to add a friend/ On the Psvita so easy. 2. Very little social apps/ Psvita plenty. 3. Not enough Native apps/ Psvita Plenty. 4. Graphics/Psvita good graphics. Now I know that the Nintendo isn't known for there graphics, but known for there games. 5. Cant watch Youtube (NOTE at the time!) /Psvita can. (NOTE sorry for the "BOLD" im having issues" But now I would like my 3ds back because Nintendo brought over Miiverse. And the Psvita DOES NOT! have a good social center to meet people and send drawings and stuff like that. Overall I would match the PsVita and 3ds together. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2014
    Roscoe Jones likes this.
  4. HonestPandaShow

HonestPandaShow @HonestPandaShow

It has been awhile since I actually sat down and played my 3DS because I wanted to. Sometimes my Lady has me play Animal Crossing New Leaf with her now and again. Other than that all I have for that system is Pokemon Y. Which in all honesty is why I ended up buying a 3DS. Sad? Perhaps. But I did enjoy it for the time.

5. Yuuki

Yuuki Loves Anime

i play it currently, Bravely Default is such a timesink!
    DAMN YOU SQUARE, for once you make a good game and i got sucked in it!

Roscoe Jones likes this.
  6. somebody336

somebody336 Member

I only use my Vita for Youtube pretty much and the chat box thingy lol My 3ds is just a dust collector though ;_;

Roscoe Jones likes this.
  7. Trent

Trent Owner, PS Vita Reviews

PSN ID:
    L2K7
    My main gripe about the 3DS is the control scheme. I own a 3DS XL and I loved playing Ocarina of Time 3D, Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance, Project X Zone, Super Mario 3D Land, and Tales of the Abyss 3D on it. They were all a lot of fun. But the thing I just can't get around is that Circle Pad. I do not know what it is about it. The placement or just the feel. Maybe a bit of both. I just don't like the feel of using it. In games where I have a choice, or when I'm not playing a 3D NDS game on it, I favor the D-Pad.

If the Circle Pad was more comfy or had better placing, I would probably have a lot more 3DS games than I do.

8. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

Yeah that circle pad is a bit odd, none of the games I've played make much use of it though so I haven't had any problems.

Trent likes this.
  9. CUD

CUD Member

I had a 3DS since launch and was very disappointed with the system for a very long time, something I can't say for my Vita at all. It wasn't until last year that I bought more 3DS games and got more enjoyment out of the system.

There are more games for both systems that I plan on purchasing. Despite my early disappointment with the 3DS, it now offers some great experiences which makes it a great system to own in addition to the Vita.

If I had to choose between the two I'd probably go for the Vita though.

Roscoe Jones likes this.
  10. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

I've had them for almost the exact same amount of time (two week difference) and I'm not really disappointed in the 3DS, but there's a lot fewer games for it that I want compared to the Vita. I do intend to get Bravely;Default but after that it appears as though it'll be shelved for a while.

11. Terramax

Terramax Well-Known Member

I bought a 3DS before the Vita. I always wanted a Vita more, but my friends and I all owned DS' and used to play multiplayer (up to 5 of us) at the pub almost every weekend, and I assumed they would all upgrade to a 3DS, so I bought one of them early. Turns out, almost none of my friends were going to buy the sodding thing, and after being let down by several games (particularly Mario Kart 7), I decided to get the console I really wanted

. I had a fair amount of fun with Dead or Alive Dimensions, Ridge Racer 3D, Star Fox 64, and to a lesser extent Kid Icarus' multiplayer. I had around 10 other games, which I either bought, or borrowed for a while from my sister, but as mentioned, none of them were of much interest to me.

When I bought a Vita I planned on keeping both. But 2-3 months later I realised I hadn't touched my 3DS once since owning a Vita, so I sold it off. No regrets.

Almost 2 years later, when in Japan, a friend recently buyers a 3DS. I buy one to play games multiplayer, but I just can't go back to the 3DS. The visuals on the aformentioned games are too degraded when compared to Vita titles, and the games just aren't as fun (for me) as Vita games. So I sold the 3DS about 2 weeks after haha...

My friend whom bought a 3DS liked the look of the Vita, and he later bought a Vita also. We both played some PSP games multiplayer, along with VS Everybody's Golf and had much more fun.

Sadly, you can't play ad-hoc with people whom have games from different regions. So if we want to play other games multiplayer in the future, we both gotta buy Japanese versions or European versions. A bit frustrating.

Anyways, my thoughts on the 3DS? It's not a bad console. But I think people are missing out on a lot buy getting a 3DS instead of a Vita. Nearly everyone who's played the games on my Vita say they prefer them to the offerings on the 3DS. But ultimately it comes down to what games you like to play.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    Roscoe Jones and jpelgrom like this.
  12. Kurisutina

Kurisutina Ultimate Vita Enthusiast

PSN ID:
    Shiroyami
    the 3DS fulfils my Ace Attorney needs, seriously. I got it for Ace Attorney and I made sure Nintendo knew as much xD! It made my realize in my heart of hearts that Nintendo properties don't appeal to me like they used to when I was younger but it's nice to have it for the 3rd party games that release on it. Will need to play SMTIV and Senran Kagura eventually. I don't think I'll ever use it more than the Vita though. Vita plays "Console" games on the go, as well as some more interesting titles between the niche Japanese 3rd parties, the indies, etc that keep me entertained. Plus I like Sony's first party titles.

APA and Terramax like this.
  13. DuhWhitePanda

DuhWhitePanda Well-Known Member

35 or so Vita games compared to 13 DS games / 3DS games.

That looks rather lopsided, yes? One has to look at the games I have on each console though. I own 3 Vitas and I've gone over why I own 3. Basically, I'm a sucker for colors. Anyhow, When Vita first came out, well a week before launch as I own a 1st edition Vita, I beat Uncharted and then.... Well, I really couldnt find a damn thing to play. My second ever game owned for Vita was Asphalt because I really needed something to sink my time into. It was fun, despite being a half assed game made for Vita, and this is where one of my problems with Vita comes in. Uncharted, Mod Nation Racers, Call of Duty, Resistance Burning Skies, Assassin's Creed, Silent Hill. They are all massive name games, but each and every game wasnt made by their original developer and in the case of Assassin's Creed, made by an off hand division of Ubisoft. When the half assed games flopped, 3rd party publishers abandoned Vita and Sony really hasnt done much in the way of getting any to come back. Isnt it funny that the one of the best, if not the best game on Vita, Killzone, is made by the original developer? Vita can be so much more than it is right now, but it's been reduced to indie games which dont take advantage of the Vita's power. I know, I know... people are going to talk about how I'm just a graphics whore, and how I should give indies a chance. That being said, why did you buy the Vita? I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the power of the console and what visual images the OLED screen could produce.

When it comes to my 3DS, I owned the day one black 3DS and gave it to my cousin when I got a 3DS XL. I aint going to lie, it gets barely any play. That being said, the games I own have a ridiculous amount of hours to them. The only games I've seen on Vita which rival the games I own on 3DS are Disgea 3 and Persona 4, two remakes.... I own Shin Megami Tensai IV, Pokemon X or Y, Animal Crossing, 999, Bravely Default (on its way), Resident Evil Revelations and Mercenaries, and more. I'm not going to say the games look better than Vita because they dont. However, the game developers took time and care when developing for the 3DS and it shows.

That is the main difference between the 3DS and Vita, the games are of a higher quality and feel truly made for the 3DS while on the Vita, almost all of the games feel like half assed ports.... At least to me.

Terramax likes this.
  14. Terramax

Terramax Well-Known Member

I don't think they took more time at all (for the most part). They just added filler, and people out there lap it up as 'gameplay'. I don't have a problem with people liking such games. They can play what they want. But to say that these kinds of games are somehow more solid experiences is just nonsense.

As I always explain, there is a difference between well thought-out 'gameplay', and developers using cheap tactics to make games look deep, when they are anything but. Too many games, on any system I'll add, put a greater emphasis on grinding and open worlds as a way of masking what are otherwise very shallow experiences. One of the biggest misconceptions is that, when people play a game for 100 hours, they think they're getting 100 hours of 'gameplay'. You're not. You're likely getting 80 hours of work, and maybe 20 hours of solid gameplay experience. If you like working in your games, that's A ok. But it's not gameplay. It's work.

To use an example - it took me 8-10 hours to complete Psychonauts back in the day. But every single second of that game was glorious fun. The platforming was solid. The story and dialog was outstanding. The visuals and creativity in the levels was amazing. And I was not bored for a single second, nor at any point did I feel like I was having to do something I didn't want to in order to progress the game.

On the contrary; in Need for Speed Most Wanted, I have to waste 3-5 minutes going from one side of the city to the other in order to begin a race. And I gotta do this every flippin' time! Back in the day, I would spend 10 seconds on a select screen, picking my race, and 20 seconds loading time later I'm racing. Now, lets say there are 50 races in Most Wanted, and I spend 3 minutes every time clowning around the city looking for where I'm supposed to be going. That's almost 3 hours I could be doing something else. Now, if you enjoy traveling around a city looking for races, that's coolio. But my point is it's not gameplay. It's work.

Another problem I have is that people rely too much on big name games to give them the most fun. My favourite games, for which I've had some seriously solid gameplay experiences, are Everybody's Golf, Shinobido 2, and Worms Revolution Extreme. Now, some of these games are deeply flawed and don't match up the supposed 'quality standards' of AAA games, but with lower expectations, I was able to see through the flaws (and in Shinobido 2's case, enjoy the game more for its flaws), and get hours upon hours of solid gameplay, and rarely having to work to get the most out of them.

15. DuhWhitePanda

So I'm guessing you hate Monster Hunter as a whole and see it as nothing but grinding? Besides, nowhere did I mention that I thought the developers took time and care in developing the games based on how many hours I've put into the game. Here are a few examples:

Vita the powerhouse beast, meanwhile, the Walking Dead isnt optimized, it has SERIOUS frame rate issues. Assassin's Creed Liberation, has frame rate issues, glitches where the character will get stuck in the ground, pop in issues with NPCs. COD is nothing more than a re-skinned Resistance with a mini map. Modnation Racers and Uncharted have no online. Killzone has online match making issues. Madden 13 has a two year old engine and stats from the 2011 season to boot.

Meanwhile, Resident Evil Revelations is a game which look almost as good as the top Vita game from 2012. Fire Emblem offered free DLC for people who bought the game within the first week. The Animal Crossing developers took the main criticisms from their last game and fixed them. I look at a game like Shin Megami Tensai IV the same way I look about Persona 4. Sure there was hours of level grinding, but it wasn't something that was annoying. The developers added so much to level grinding. I was able to get better weapons, collect demons, build relationships with side characters, learn about the world through side story missions, build even stronger demons, and so on. I thought the main point was collecting demons like Pokemon is to collect Pokemon, and Borderlands is to collect loot.

As I've stated before, yeah I rely on big games to give me fun. I dropped around $ 600 on the Vita to be a dedicated handheld console. I know that's not what Sony marketed it as, but Netflix, internet, Facebook, Twitter, etc can be done on my Samsung Galaxy S4 and done better. I didn't pay that price to play indie games that look like they came out originally on the Turbografx 16. If that was the future of Sony handheld gaming, boy did they ever shit the bed with the hardware they put in the handheld.

J. Bekema likes this.
  16. Kurisutina

Kurisutina Ultimate Vita Enthusiast

PSN ID:
    Shiroyami
    I don't get this logic at all concerning indie games. Last gen with DS vs PSP, people whined about games not being made for a handheld experience. So Sony finally gets developers whom make games which are suited to a handheld experience but since it doesn't match the power of the handheld, it gets a knock; whilst 3DS goes on to make those PSP like games. I don't even think I need to address anything else here, like RE:R getting praised while Killzone Mercenary does many of the same tactics to get it good graphics AND has online and looks better. I'm failing to see how Fire Emblem offering free DLC suddenly makes that a better effort than other games that also did the same, like Soul Sacrifice?

APA likes this.
  17. DuhWhitePanda

Really, you dont understand how someone who spends $600 on a console, priced base on the hardware in the handheld and memory card, etc, is upset that the console gets more games that dont use the hardware? You have zero clue how I'd be upset that I have to pay $40 for some games Angry Birds Star Wars when I get it free on my phone and tablet, and still it doesnt use the hardware that I paid hundreds for??? ... Well, that's on you then.

18. BlueMaxima

BlueMaxima Member

I grew up as a Nintendo fan, had a GameBoy, a Nintendo 64, what have you. Got a DS, loved most of the games I played. Got a 3DS and most of the games worth having and everything was just outright disappointing.

Mario Kart 7, not living up to DS.
    Dream Team, a boring slog compared to Bowser's Inside Story.
    RE Revelations, disappointing.
    Super Mario 3D Land, boring as hell.
    New Super Mario Bros 2., boring as hell.
    Animal Crossing, boring as hell.
    Pokemon X, same tired old repeated game with a couple of tweaks.
    DKCR3D didn't add enough to make me want to play it to completion (I finished DKCR on Wii).
    Kid Icarus, HURT. HURT HURT HURT HURT HURT to actually PLAY.
    Luigi's Mansion 2 I just couldn't care about, even after a few hours.
    I thought maybe OOT 3D might have helped me care about OOT, but nope, still boring as ever.
    The ONE thing I actually can say I completely enjoyed on my 3DS was freakin' Star Fox 64. That's...something.

19. Geadien

Geadien Member

I got my 3DS just for the JRPGS , Pokemon, and MON HUN, but I keep putting it down to play my Vita. With Toukiden, Final Fantasy X/X2 HD, and other JRPGS i want to try coming out for Vita my 3DS will collect dust.

20. Darkknezz

Darkknezz Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    DarkScollo
    I primarily game on my Vita however I have a decent collection of 3DS games I play on my XL. Growing up i was a big zelda/mario fan. I basically get the games for 3DS that I cannot get on my Vita. Regardless, I enjoy my 3ds xl, I just enjoy my Vita's more.

My 3DS Games:
    Zelda Ocarina of Time
    Zelda A Link Between Worlds
    New Super Marios Bros 2
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
    Kid Icarus Uprising
    Castlevania: Mirror of Fate
    Starfox64 3D
    Resident Evil Revelations
    Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
    Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon
    Code of Princess
    Shinobi
    Age Of Empires Mythologies (DS)
    Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword (DS)
    Golden Sun Dark Dawn (DS)

Borrowing from my nephew: MarioKart7, Street Fighter IV 3D Edition, Super Mario 3D Lands, Lego Pirates of the Caribbean

21. Geadien

Geadien Member

So I want to say bravely default is a great game. If you like rpgs and have 3DS it's a must.

22. Yuuki

Yuuki Loves Anime

agreed!

23. IchBinSkyr

IchBinSkyr Active Member

PSN ID:
    JessiLyn
    I've mainly been a Nintendo player for years, I never officially had a Playstation system until the PSP which I didn't play for longer than a year and finally returning to the system with the PS3 and Vita.

That said I of course have both. As I haven't played the 3DS in a while only picking it up after playing the Vita for a couple weeks I can say one thing I noticed off the bat... The graphics are definitely the first thing that stands out as different.. I definitely hadn't thought much about it until this point, but not to say I no longer like them I just have to look at them in a different light.

I think I'll always go between the two because not all games are cross platform and so it makes sense to have both. If the game I want is cross platform, I'm not certain what will make the deciding factor for me yet. I think I'll have to wait and see for when that happens.

24. RoboAddy

RoboAddy Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    RoboAddy
    I sold my 3DS last month after realising I hadn't touched it since December.
    No regrets, even after the recent Pokémon announcement.

25. Fokkusu

Fokkusu The orginal fox

PSN ID:
    Joeow
    I only play my 3DS for Animal Crossing. Other than that it's gathering dust. I prefer the Vita in everyway, I do like my blue 3DS though and I was too lazy to import a coloured Vita. More colours pls.