Future of the Website

Discussion in 'Rules, Announcements, Feedback, & Competitions!' started by Terramax, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

OK guys.

I've been sending Murphy multiple emails about taking over the site. This is after over a year of him dodging the idea when he was speaking to me. For the last 6+ months though he hasn't even bothered replying to me at all.

Either he's ignoring my emails, or something terrible has happened and he's not around to reply to them.

I've even contacted Xenforo, the owners of this forum software, and they have said that they aren't able to try and contact him (or can't be bothered).

The bottom line is that even I have to accept that, unless Murphy suddenly responds AND agrees to give me full custody of the site, it's pretty much game over.

Therefore I'm going to suggest that I create an all new PS Vita forum for both past, current and future Vita owners to come and visit.

I'm still a huge fan of the Vita. Now that I'm learning the Japanese language, I have started playing a number of Vita games in Japanese, some of them exclusive to the country, hence I'm having something of a second wind with the console, after about a year or two of mainly playing the Switch.

Then there's the fact that the homebrew and modding scene for the system is ramping up. I'll soon be looking into investing in getting a 128gb (or higher) memory card for the system to play all my favourite games and then some all without having to change cartridge once. The future couldn't be brighter for the console and I right now.

However, I'm only interested in spending time and money on an all new forum if I'm actually going to have a decent number of people willing to come and discuss the Vita on a regular basis.

I would appreciate thoughts on the matters.

Kind regards,

Terramax

2. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

The community has already largely moved onto Discord and ceased using the forum here https://discord.gg/fPJsNGR (Just waiting on Vitagirl really)

This place has already died and has been dead since back when the member registrations were turned off for the second and final time.

As it stands right now, The Vita Lounge Forums are over and done. There may be a few odd posts here and then occasionally, but without any possible way to expand the community it's dead on the water.

A new forum isn't a bad idea really. We could also just as easily use a pre-existing Vita forum for future forum discussions however. That would be my preference anyway since they are already very well established so I wouldn't be afraid of putting hours of work into big posts like my compatibility or MC Server threads here, fearing they might very well vanish.
    Check out:
    https://www.psu.com/forums/forums/playstation-vita-forum.120/
    http://www.pushsquare.com/forums/ps_vita
    https://www.giantbomb.com/playstation-vita/3045-129/forums/

I'm making a psu account right now, that place looks nice to me. I think probably the key to establishing a new active place for us is to just use it. Use the site, make plenty of contributing posts and people will come. They'll be lured/reeled in just by that. It's how I ended up here actually. Saw some great discussion already going on and decided i'd love to join in on the quality topics so I signed up.

The posts here dropped off so fast, like super fast. We went down quick. People stopped posting because others stopped posting and now it's already as dead as a 64GB Sony memory card. :D

Seriously though, you should join the remaining 99% of us on the Discord. If you create a new forum i'll definitely show up and join. I think this is just the tail end of a long and rough transitional period for us Loungers. I wouldn't be surprised if any day now, this place and Switch Player both - Poof, vanish and disappeared forever. The other Vita forums I linked can potentially be just as good as this place used to be. It's just going to take time for everything to make the full transition.

3. Tweeg

Tweeg Well-Known Member

The rather evident downside to Discord is that it's purely a in the now thing. Literally it's just a glorified multi-channel chat room. Whereas a forum represents a database of shared knowledge and topic discussions. End of the day it might be fun to have real-time chat conversations, but it's not a forum. I wish you success in rescuing TVL Terramax, as end of the day, there's a wealth of knowledge housed on this forum, and it would be a shame for it to simply fade away into the digital archives of time. But unless it can be saved from it's present abysmal fate of only allowing the existing members to interact here it will surely die.

Terramax likes this.
  4. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

Tweeg hit the nail on the head. Forums allow people to approach and reply to conversations whenever they are available to do so, whilst I assume chats on Discord require you to be present at the time of the conversation in order to contribute to it. People have a history behind them on a forum, and multiple topics can be easily discussed at the same time. I've also been informed that the Discord installer monitors your computer's actions which, if true, is something that I consider to be highly suspicious of.

5. zodaex

Oh make no mistake, I much prefer the idea of our community using a forum over a Discord. It's just that the community (98%) has already moved on. I'll still post here occasionally while it's still around, but things are different these days I'm treading extremely lightly. I would never put the effort into posts here that I used to. Not with how likely it is to be carelessly deleted by moderators like our original legendary "What you bought this week on Vita" thread. And the site going offline over and over again for days at a time.

6. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

I hear you buddy.

Sending more emails to Murphy. He replied, I think, last Friday. I've sent him about 3 emails now but, again, no reply. I've asked him simply to tell me if he doesn't want to hand it over, then to just tell me so I have move on.

Regarding moving on; whilst I'm thankful for the forum suggestions you gave earlier, I would much prefer a forum dedicated to the Vita entirely, not a subsection, and especially not from a rather major game site. Something where members are more close knit (but not as close as the half-dozen remainers here), where we can freely discuss things like hacking the console without fear of being removed from mods.

zodaex likes this.
  7. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

OK guys, time for another update.

Murphy replied to my 4th email of this week confirming that, yes, he is happy to transfer the forum over to me... when he has the time to do so. As has been the case always, he would like for me to be patient whilst he deals with a number of other commitments in his life.

I have absolutely no idea how long I am meant to be patient for. But if he promises that I will be able to own this forum, and perhaps the site eventually, then I'll wait it out. It's not as if there are many more options. I've searched and not been able to find any decent vita forums out there.

I shall wait it out perhaps 2-3 months longer. If no headway by then, I will very seriously consider creating my own Vita forum. Sure, the history of this place will be lost to time, But I am a member of pther forums dedicated to retro consoles where the forums themselves were made some 10 years after the console's death, and people still enjoy talking without such history.

Another alternative is that I create a forum right now (using a free model) as a temporary forum, one that accepts new members and, if and when I take over this forum, I can simply ask all existing members to transfer over back here again.

Thoughts?

8. Billybobbean

Billybobbean Well-Known Member

If you are going to be taking over the domain can you not just start getting something together now and then redirect the domain?

I'm not massivley well versed in these things but I imagine the forum database could be plugged into a new forum front end which we'd need to get around the bot problem. So maybe get that set up first, pending the domain transferal?

zodaex likes this.
  9. PixelKnot

PixelKnot Well-Known Member

Discord is not a great replacement or solution. It gets boring real fast. I'm happy I still have some connection with members of a deceased 3DS forum, but nowadays I only just peek in every now and then. It's just not the same as having organized discussions on a forum. Having a chatbox open on the front page was just a cherry on top.

I thought Switch Player would get some attention giving the system's popularity, but that forum never took off. I haven't logged in over there for two years now.

Tweeg likes this.
  10. zodaex

#1 I disagree.
    #2 It's the only other thing we have
    #3 If you don't have the motivation to post on the forum, or check the Discord, there's not a lot us others here can do about that.
    #4 It's the members that made this place special. Not the logo or the name. Essentially we can turn any forum into a new home much better than this one ever was. Comes down to Motivation.

11. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

From what I'm understanding, discord is just yet another text chat (maybe voice and video too). We've had these since the internet began. I remember a chat program on the Dreamcast - gone. Yahoo had a fairly popular chat service during the early 00's - either gone, or nobody uses it. There's IRC, which is still used by pockets of people, but really only for niche groups. We've got chatboxes on forums, though people never use them unless it's for a very popular forum. We've got skype, but less people are using that. And now we've apparently got Discord along with whatever other app is the trend right now, until something else new comes along and then we're all expected to jump on that app instead.

I can't be arsed with that. I've not the time. I like forums. I like the history. I like the fact that I can prepare what I'm going to say, and make corrections if need be. I like the fact that people can write essays if they like, and have them saved and constantly updated to keep people informed. Forums work. The Vita discord will be gone in few years. Meanwhile, forums for the neogeo, sega saturn, etc, will continue to be alive and well. I want the Vita lounge, or some sort of vita forum, to join the ranks of forums with a huge history, detailing how attitudes towards the system changed over the years, and where forum members can even see each other grow together (I've even met people, personally, on another retro game forum).

With regards to the Vitalounge forums; I truly believe that whilst the forum is in a dark stage now, once I own this place, in time, it will have a 2nd life. At least for three reasons.

1.) the rising modding scene: the vita appears powerful and comfortable enough to include a tonne of emulators and, lets face it, eventually it's going to be fairly common to have people downloading Vita isos, especially when the PSN store goes down. For clarification, I'm not advocating piracy, just stating that it's highly likely, as time goes by, to be privalent Vita.

2.) Nostalgia will give the console a second life. In fact, I might even go as far as to say that we'll be talking more about the Vita's actual fucking games more, as opposed to right now where most conversations of the last few years were mainly either a.) showing photos of their collections and recently bought games or b.) talking about limited releases games at the end of the console's lifespan.

3.) Retro fans - even though this could be a minority, 10 years from now there will be people in their early 20's getting into the vita for the first time, as a time capsule. This forum would be a fantastic link for youngens and vita veterans to mingle and share their stories and experiences back in the day and present day.

Not meaning to offend you Zodaex, but whilst I'm am happy for you that Discord is giving you and other members enjoyment, it just doesn't bode well with me personally, and I think with a few other members also.

Anyways, I have absolutely no idea how long I have to wait for Murphy to find the time to hand the forum over to me. But as long as he keeps the forum up, as long as I doesn't just vanish from thin air at any point, then eventually I'll get this place back on track again.

In the meantime, I shall be visiting this forum every day and looking to see if anyone has posted anything new.

I should perhaps start talking more about the games I'm currently playing for the system. Maybe get a Monster Monpiece thread going...

12. PixelKnot

PixelKnot Well-Known Member

I didn't mean to come across as a negative nancy in my post. I'm just a tad frustrated with this current situation. If Discord works well for you, then by all means continue to enjoy it. Like I said, I'm grateful that I still am able to see some old members again. That's why I have kept Discord installed for a while now. Though, using the chatbox format 24/7 just isn't for me.

If this forum can make a comeback or a new Vita forum is launched, I will try to do whatever I can to help support it.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  13. Tweeg

Tweeg Well-Known Member

Likewise for all the reasons already stated, the forum format has lots of pros going for it. I'm on the discord, but it's a multi-channel chat room first and foremost.

Also, Yahoo murdered off Yahoo Messenger like three years ago for SJW reasons that I don't really care to get into, but needless to say was the same reasoning Microsoft basically killed off MSN Messenger, Google killed off Gchat, and AOL killed off AIM. It wasn't that they weren't still popular service offerings, it was about enforcing authoritarian control restrictions over those wanting to chat with each other.

Microsoft rolled MSN accounts over into Skype and integrated chat into Skype, but did away with chat rooms.
    Google killed off Gchat (which never had chat rooms) and replaced it with "Google Hangouts".
    Both of these things above that replaced their respective chats though required the existing users to go into their account settings and provide additional personal information to their service providers before being able to use them though.

PixelKnot and Terramax like this.
  14. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

Tweeg well, there you go then. Chat rooms come and go, and yet there are forums from the early 00's, (maybe even late 90's) still kicking around, so long as the fanbase are devoted enough.

15. zodaex

It sounds like all of us prefer forums over Discord. Almost surely we migrated there because of the relative ease involved in doing so. It takes a special kind of motivation to set up a forum yourself and nurture it. I certainly lack that motivation myself too with so many other options at my disposal.

16. Tweeg

Tweeg Well-Known Member

I do enjoy Discord for the randomness of chat and silliness, but find I seldom ever discuss anything really in depth there. It's more of a casual sort of chatter, which is perfectly fine.

17. Billybobbean

Billybobbean Well-Known Member

Neither is a replacement for the other, the Discord originally was simply created because of the the inconsistent uptime and future of the site being unclear. I made it because we risked loosing touch as the forum was pretty much the only link a lot of us had.

Each platform has things it does well and things it doesn't, each has its own set of fans. Fact is though I think most people are happy to use both for this reason

Terramax to you I'd say if you really want to push to get people back here and want the community to really respect you as this new leader you really want to be, then coming and engaging even a little bit on Discord would be a good preliminary step. So far despite being invited to come chat a few times you've pretty much just dismissed it as something you don't care about or "can't be arsed with" which isn't the best look to the community you want to lead. It gives the impression that you're just going to do things how you want and screw what anyone else thinks, when I think the better tactic would be to involve the people that have kept this place hobbling along, involved in the process both here AND where they tend to be nowadays.
    To be honest, and I don't mean this in a harsh way, I don't know you that well at all, I don't think a lot of the core people do, you can't expect people to just gather round and follow you without that basic foundation laid first.

zodaex likes this.
  18. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

Wow it's been a long time since I last posted here.

Discord certainly isn't a replacement of the forum. I like the forum because, as I've done plenty of times, you can take your time, write a ridiculously long post scrutinizing who-knows-what, post it, and then actually engage in discussion with others about it, which just doesn't work the same way in a chat group. There, it's too quickly gone due to the whim of the day. Which is fine. Discord's more like a chat in a pub where, if we're fair, long monologues will get short anyway.

The reason why Discord works as a great (temporary) replacement of the forum, however, is that it's alive. We've had plenty of new regulars on there and it's great. Due to the less scattered layout (with just a few channels tackling main topics as opposed to sections/subsections/specific threads) there's a lot more community interaction with the whole group too. I'm sure it also helps that Discord can easily be installed on your phone, allowing for a quick response whilst for the forum you'll need to go to a website and specifically check threads and whatnot. It's a bit more cumbersome in this evermore ConvenientĀ® world.

I, personally, absolutely don't care who owns the forum or whatever forum, I only care about who's on there. I joined when Murphy already didn't really care much anymore (I'm pretty sure) so it's whatever.

Ideally, we'd have both existing side by side: one for simple chatter or sharing experiences when buying the last few LRG releases, another for more in-depth discussion. For that, however, the forum needs to open up, ol' regulars will need to return and bots will need to be kept out. How that's done isn't really too important for me.

PixelKnot, sean and zodaex like this.
  19. sean

sean irishnerd47

I echo what Atom said above.

Just want new membership open personally so I can invite all the new Vita friends I made over the years.

This is the number #1 reason I left. 60-70% of the people I chat Vita during the week can join me here so I stay in my Vita Discord and Twitter groups.

Not great substitution but all we have..

20. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

Just to remind; this thread wasn't created to discuss the pros and cons of discord, of course. We've all kind of gone off on a tangent. But, for the record, it's nice that it exists for those who want to use it.
    Anyway, Murphy obviously still hasn't given any further updates at this point. Not expecting him to do so any time in the close future.
    My recommendation would be that, whilst we can't claim new members, people could still continue to have longstanding conversations about topics of their interest.
    I ought to be getting a 500gb memory card for my Vita soon, at which point I'll be looking into hacking one of my systems, so I'm sure to be posting and threading about that subject at some point soon.

On a more important note; people have suggested that they would be happier if we switched on the ability to add new members, at the cost that we allow the dreaded Chinese bots to return. Is this a sentiment that most people on here still hold? If so, I could send an email to Murphy asking him to turn the ability back on, and I would also suggest making 1 or 2 more people mods also to help with removing the ineviatable spam. I must, of course, emphasis I would just be emailing him. Whethe or not he would take the time to do such a thing is beyond me. I know it took a fair while for him to get the energy to make the original security changes (he hinted that someone else ended up doing the legwork for him). Whether he would take the time to reverse things is beyond me.

21. Retro8bit

Retro8bit Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    Retro-8-bit
    I guess I too will throw my hat in the ring here by saying that I am also not a fan of discord. The standard chat room layout design has never been much to my liking personally, it's just not for me. I will remain a member though as it's the only place I can keep in contact with my fellow TVL friends. However if anyone does find a way to resurrect this forum (or create a new one altogether) I'd be 100% in favor of that, as forum posting has always been my preferred method over chat rooms.

TheAtom likes this.
  22. Tweeg

Tweeg Well-Known Member

Yes Terramax, the TVL does need the ability to allow new members to join. Actively having to deal with spam bots joining is simply part of the reality of running a forum in this era.

Terramax likes this.
  23. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

Well, it was beyond OTT when the spam bots came. I was literally deleting about 100 - 200 during a normal day. That`s NOT an exaggeration.

But, yes, once Murphy eventually gets back to me, we will look into this.

Tweeg likes this.
  24. Nonscpo

Nonscpo Well-Known Member

I don't think it has as much to do with the PSVITA losing relevancy, but rather that the majority of online discussion has shifted away from Forums and to Social Media websites. I think you can make a similar argument for the transition from online news sites, to just watching Youtubers cover whats going on, it's just easier.

SasukeTheRipper likes this.
  25. SasukeTheRipper

SasukeTheRipper Well-Known Member

The PS Vita is pretty much dead (it hurts, but it's true) and so is this community.

SONY likes this.