Gameboy Advance

Discussion in 'Nintendo Discussion' started by Roscoe Jones, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Roscoe Jones

Roscoe Jones PSN ID: Roscoe369 Friend Me!

I'm playing gba games on my original modded gba system (not the SP) on my Everdrive x5 (theeee *best *flash cart for the gba money can buy). I'm currently playing Gradius Galaxies. It's an awesome game. I love the form factor of the original gba because of my big hands lol and that it just feels better than the sp imo. The fact that the screen on it is centered which (for me) feels like I have more control plus the buttons are very responsive. The gba is one of my top gaming devices ever and the NA library is endless. And if you have an Everdrive X5 you can PAL english games including all other territories/region games as well. Anyone else misses the original gba or gba handhelds period? Please share.:)

2. Dee0342

Dee0342 Well-Known Member

I miss Advance Wars.

Roscoe Jones and comeoutpunching like this.
  3. DojoDan

DojoDan Well-Known Member

I don't miss it, I play my SP every week! Hooked on V-Rally 3 at the mo. Also playing Sonic Advance. You're right, the library is endless, I always say it keeps on giving. I'm still finding games that I've not heard of before. Would never sell my SP!

Roscoe Jones, DankZaku and zodaex like this.
  4. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

The GBA-SP was probably Nintendo's last completely gimmick-free system. Their big screwup with it though is not letting you charge the system and use headphones at the same time.

Roscoe Jones and DankZaku like this.
  5. DankZaku

DankZaku Well-Known Member

My SP died ages ago. I've gone back to playing my original GBA in a very well light room :)

I need to get another SP lol. I still play all my handhelds, so I don't really miss any of them. (modded) PSP > everything though

Roscoe Jones likes this.
  6. Ghost of Arcadia

Ghost of Arcadia Active Member

GBA was a great Nintendo handheld. I got it mainly for the Castlevania series. I have three GBA's which are the cobalt blue that I got in 2003, the flame red that I found in a yard sale last year and the original purple GBA. I don't have many games so here it is:

[​IMG]

I picked up Sega Arcade Gallery last year for cheap which is a great compilation of Sega Arcade games (Outrun, Space Harrier, Super HangOn, After Burner). Love Contra Advance & Sonic Advance. But Castlevania Aria of Sorrow is my favorite GBA game.

I also like the fact that my DS Lite can play GBA games and looks even better on the screen. I never got the backlit AGS 101 model since the PSP came out that year in 2005. I sometimes play GBA games on my PSP as well.

What's crazy is that on my GBA SP it still uses the same rechargeable battery that it originally came with which was 14 years ago. I never had to replace it. I can still get a few hours of gameplay out of it.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Roscoe Jones, VitaBoy and DojoDan like this.
  7. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

The GBA takes the exact same battery as the DS-Fat if you are having a hard time finding one.

8. VitaBoy

VitaBoy Active Member

Super Dodge Ball Advance FTW!

Roscoe Jones likes this.
  9. samus1818

samus1818 Active Member

That's awesome! I've started to play older games, and I'm really enjoying it! I'm playing Wii, DS,GBA, and Dreamcast. I haven't played many GBA games, but I have that same Contra game LOL I remember buying Contra for something like $2 :D I'm planning to buy a Retron 5 (I promise I don't work for them LOL) to play some older games.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  10. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

I would skip the Retron 5, Retro Freak is just like the Retron 5 but better.

11. samus1818

samus1818 Active Member

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm going to check that out! See, I didn't know about the Retro Freak LOL

Roscoe Jones likes this.
  12. DojoDan

DojoDan Well-Known Member

I had Contra on one of those multi-game cart jobbies. Ended up selling it though, was too difficult for me :) Currently enjoying CoD Infiltrator. Love the artwork and sound effects. Difficulty scales nicely for a mere mortal like me.

Roscoe Jones likes this.
  13. eric

eric Well-Known Member

I would mostly agree.
    In my opinion the two best handhelds ever made were the PS Vita and the GBA, -yet the Vita is by far my #1 fav'.

The GBA was the perfect size and for the era it worked really well. I still play my GBA often, -lately i've been playing Zelda and the Minish Cap on it (which is an insanely loooooong game). Also Advance Wars and some older game boy original games which look nice in color and backlit screen. In particular I've been playing QIX ..which was a GREAT game and I really haven't seen anything like it on any device or smart phone. I think QIX is one that could be redone and would do really well today, -especially among casual smartphone gamers.

Roscoe Jones likes this.
  14. Roscoe Jones

Amen!!!

DojoDan likes this.
  15. Roscoe Jones

Awesome bro! !!! Yes LOVE my VITA immensely dude I have some many physical releases for it that'll last me for at least 10 years (100% completion w/all trophies). I have various nintendo handhelds but I think the gba is my second best ever...now that I have this modded 1st Gen Advance with a SP screen (beautiful) on top of the form factor ohhh God....lol heaven! I'm catching up on gba games I missed when I was a broke a$$ kid and couldn't afford much games and had to rely on other ways to get games (parents, friends, borrow etc.) I'm playing Rayman orgins on my vita and pstv ( current main game)and megaman battlenetwork 1 on gba (In which I played n loved as a kid...gonna play all battlenetwork) which is hard without a guide lol I'm about 20 hours w/zenny code lol. I brought my gba to work (well I always do) and my coworkers were like what's that? I say "the gba" oh crap I remember that thing lol...it's awesome EVERY BODY and their mothers like gameboy it's a beautiful thing! I need to check out that QIX game bro it sounds good...

16. Roscoe Jones

Sound like some Contract Hard Corps...

17. Roscoe Jones

I'll check that out bro

18. Roscoe Jones

I have both I'm gonna have soooooooooooooo much fun with use if good o' gamesharky :)

19. Roscoe Jones

Yea I remember that...I'm pretty sure a third party company developed a work-around for that.

zodaex likes this.
  20. Roscoe Jones

Ahhh yes that modded psp you have is golden. I would say get a modded gba 1st gen if you got the cash or an SP again for a fair deal. The gba is so rich...

21. Roscoe Jones

Thanks for this brilliant reply, foremost. Me too, to all of the above! You can get an everdrive x5 for the gba if your into emulation. Ebay n amazon is good for fair deals on gba games watch out for fakes tho. Check online for guides. Yes I have a fairly new ds lite I bought last year from Japan and yes gbas look a bit better on it but nothing beats the form factor and buttons of the original gba. I have a modded one with ags 101 sp screen...it's brilliant