General Nintendo Switch Talk Thread

Discussion in 'Nintendo Discussion' started by Terramax, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

So, the latest Nintendo Direct just dropped a whole bunch of new games announced. Most of it stuff for next year, but still a few pleasant surprises all round.

For me, it was all about the re-releases. Final Fantasy XII coming to Switch being the main head turner. I cannot tell you all how upset I was that this beauty never got the same Vita port the way FFX did. I owned this on PS4 but, honestly, I can't be bothered with RPGs on home consoles anymore. This'll be a day one purchase for me.

The original Katamari is also being brought to the Switch. Touch My Katamari on the Vita remains one of my favourite games for the system, so I anticipate a good time with the original. Hopefully it contains the newer, easier controls as seen in the Vita title.

There was the usual Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, 2D Mario announcements of course, but I couldn't care for any of that. Also a little disappointed that the rumoured Star Fox game wasn't officially announced either.

2. DojoDan

DojoDan Well-Known Member

It's nice to see Luigi's Mansion getting a whole new game rather than a port.

3. JoSoap

JoSoap Well-Known Member

Excited for a lot of those games just hope they’re physical releases

4. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

I'm starting to get into all the Switch stuff as the wife decided Pokemon Let's Go (together with some of the other releases) and its Switch LE are worth the purchase!

Some of the games I am considering now are Pokkén, MK8D, Smash, Mario Odyssey and Bayonetta. She already played Zelda BotW on someone else's Switch too.

From the upcoming games I am interested in the 2D Mario, although I feel I would be more interested in a new Mario Maker with extra premade levels or something.

5. Mr Tornado

Mr Tornado Well-Known Member

Anyone going for this CE?

[​IMG]

6. DankZaku

DankZaku Well-Known Member

Not I sir, standard copy for me.

7. shadowman

shadowman Well-Known Member

Its a nice edition, but I'll stick with my digital only edition thanks! I don't have the space for all the Switch releases. My Switch shelving is basically split into 3:
    Random games I like
    Nintendo games I like
    Capcom games I like

Hopefully Capcom gets even more games released in the future. The recent collections - especially the beat em up collection has been fantastic. I've barely stopped playing that apart from finishing Hollow Knight (which everyone should buy)

8. TheAtom

9. shadowman

shadowman Well-Known Member

If they beef up the power then I'll be interested. Heck, just a better D Pad and battery life and I'd probably buy one.

Meanwhile, I've been playing tons of Mega Man 11 this past couple of days. Its so darn good. Already made it into my top 5 MM games of all time list. The base game is well designed and has a nice wide array of bosses and level design. Not too easy, not too hard. Just right. Its fairly short, but I'm now playing through challenge mode which really feels like where the real game begins. Speed runs, limited jump/shoot runs, balloon runs etc. I'm loving it. I was sceptical at first when 11 was announced as I feared they might miss with boss or level designs compared to the older games but they've hit a home run here.

10. Mr Tornado

Mr Tornado Well-Known Member

Layers of Fear today.

This item will be for sale on October 5th at 10 AM ET and will be available for 30 days.

Please Note: This item is not ready to ship immediately. Orders for this item will be placed with Nintendo after orders close. We expect the item to ship in December. All sales are considered final and cannot be canceled.

PREORDERS CLOSE November 2nd AT 11:59PM EASTERN TIME!

Layers of Fear on physical cartridge for the Nintendo Switch. Region free. This is an open pre-order for a limited time!

This release also includes:

• Soundtrack
    • 18 x 24 Poster
    • Reversible Cover Art

This release is not published by Limited Run Games and is not a part of our numbered Nintendo Switch collection. It was published by Bloober Team, but we are the worldwide exclusive distributor. Does not come with a rewards ticket or trading card.

Broken Age on 12 October.

11. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

TheAtom likes this.
  12. TheAtom

I think some sources say it will have a better screen indeed, possibly better brightness options as well (something the Vita could've used).

13. Vita_Girl

It's so strange because I never had any issues with the Vita screen outside and that while my brightness is always on the lowest possible level.

For me the first 3DS has a terrible screen (plus the image looks so washed out), no matter where you used it but my New 3DS XL has a nice bright screen (but I'm lucky enough to have the "illusive" IPS one it seems).

But the Switch on the other hand, inside it looks fine and it is bright enough but when I wanted to play it outside because of the nice weather that day, even while it wasn't that sunny outside I could barely see anything on that screen.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  14. TheAtom

You have no issues with your Vita in the sun?? But... How??

15. Vita_Girl

Maybe because I try to avoid the sun shines at my screen?

...well I don't know except that.

16. TheAtom

That... that sounds reasonable, yeah.

17. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

In my opinion, the original GBA and NDS both had terrible screens. The GBC's, although lower resolution, worked much much better for me at reflecting ambient light. It always made me sad that Nintendo stopped having Panasonic make screens for them when they launched the GBA, they really knew what they were doing.

TheAtom likes this.
  18. TheAtom

That does make sense. I never had a GB or GBC, but I when I compared the screen of the GBA SP (with backlight, then) to my friend's GBA it was a world of difference in what you could see.

19. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

Although I stopped playing my switch about 2 or 3 weeks ago after getting back into the Vita, I must say that I've had a blast with the Switch version of Dark Souls. It was worth the wait.

I'm interested in picking up the remaster of Onimusha, but I'm quite upset that the music is being changed. This is highly likely due the controversy where it was found out that the original soundtrack's composer didn't actually compose the music at all (as well as lying about being deaf too). Still, the music was an integral part of the game for me, and it would be hard to play the game with a completely different soundtrack, unless it's really damn good.

Sadly, this is about all I can say I'm interested in with the Switch right now. There are a few shmups that I'd like to get once my pre-ordered flip grip comes through (a peripheral that will allow you to play games in tate mode on the go) as well as perhaps a pinball title, as that's the one kind of game I never got round to buying on the vita due to its smaller screen.

JoSoap likes this.
  20. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

Yeah, Dark Souls on Nintendo Switch is an awesome game, even though I keep dying in it, lol.

I just hope that FROM SOFTWARE considers bringing DS2 and DS3 to Nintendo Switch :)

21. JoSoap

JoSoap Well-Known Member

I’m interested in Onimusha as well. Only played it for the first time a few years ago but found it really refreshing. Basically Resident Evil in feudal Japan

22. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

Best one in the series!

23. Vita_Girl

Switch wise Monster Hunter keeps me busy (I mean I still didn't unlock the G-Rank which on it's own is 200 hours of gameplay)

Taiko no Tatsujin came in last week so next to Puyo-Puyo Teris that's a nice game to have for short gameplays and I still didn't start Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Splatoon 2 is collecting dust however, because I didn't get the Nintendo Online thingy...

Enough games to play on the Switch for me because I got the games I knew would waste a lot of my time on and keep me glued to the screen.

Not that my Vita doesn't do that too, sometimes I just flip a coin because I want to play on both systems but have the time for 1 at that moment :D

24. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

25. TheAtom

We'll be picking up ours today with Pokemon Let's Go for the wife to get familiar with Kanto (it's been a long time coming!!).

I don't really have any game to play on it (yet), but even I'm excited :D