Hacking General Discussion

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by zodaex, Oct 7, 2019.

1. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

What kind of fun hacking shenanigans has everyone been up to lately? I finally got around to upgrading my Slim Vita with a 256GB memory card today! It's soo much better than suffering with my old 64GB, my God haha.

Also used the registry editor app tonight to increase the Vita's auto-dim from 60 seconds, to a full 5 minutes and wow what a huge game changer for me. Having my screen dim so aggressively and often kept breaking my immersion and reminding my that i'm playing a video game. The days of spinning my analog sticks to keep the screen bright while watching intros or cut scenes are finally over.

I read the recent news on another website that the hackers have actually done it again. Sony's very latest 3.72 firmware was yet again exploited and broken into. It's mind blowing to me how they keep managing to do it over and over again. That being said, since 3.60, the exploits have gotten increasingly hard to do. I kind of felt like it was just barely within my ability to hack 3.69. Took me the better part of a day to pull it off and 3.71 & 3.72 are even harder with many more steps so I advise if you haven't jailbroken your system already then you should do it before it just continues to get harder and more convoluted to pull off.

OpenBor! Last thing I wanted to bring up today is OpenBor. I've never once seen someone on the forum even mention it before, but there's an open source beat e'm up game engine called OpenBor that's free for any devs to use to make beat e'm up games. It's big hook in addition to being open source is, all games made with the OpenBor will naively run on on a staggering number of platforms. This includes Playstation 3, Playstaion 2, PS-Vita, GP32, Xbox Classic, Dreamcast and Vita. My favorite OpenBor games i've tried so far are Power Rangers Beats Of Power and Marvel Infinity War, and i'm hoping to try Badass Babes next.
    https://gamejolt.com/games/power-rangers-beats-of-power/30577
    https://gamejolt.com/games/marvel-infinity-war/201435
    https://www.thatcherproductions.org/bad-ass-babes

How about the rest of us here? What have you guys been doing with the freedom of the jailbreak?

Terramax likes this.
  2. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

Glad you brought this up, as I was looking to upgrading my 1000 model with a 500+ GB memory card but am unsure if this would be supported (i.e. the Switch has issues with larger memory cards).

I'm interested in editing the auto-dim function too. Will keep it in mind when I hack mine.

When I am able to get my console with higher GB, the main aim would be to have every single vita game I've ever bought on the shop onto the console, as well as hopefully some emulators. Would be great to play both some Mega CD titles on the go, as well as a number of PSX games that never saw the digitital shop, in any region.

3. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

SD cards up to 2GB work perfectly fine. Surprisingly the Vita has much better exFAT support than the Switch so it handles the larger memory cards wonderfully. It really kind of makes you wonder what Vita games could have been if Sony had produced larger game cards. Megadrive and Mega CD games just run absolutely perfectly. It's such a pleasure to be able to play my Sega CD collection with such a comfortable wireless controller (PSTV) and almost instant load times. I'm in the process of trying to convince a developer to compile the Retroarch 3D0 emulation core to the Vita. Apparently it's one of the easiest things a homebrew dev could do. I'll keep poking them about it and hopefully it'll happen soon. :)
    I just know you'll fall in love with your Vita all over again once your done setting everything up. Not only will you be able to have room to keep all of your digital games full installed, but you can use the Simple Account Switcher homebrew to log out of the PSN account you're using and log into another region's account. Doing this enables you to buy exclusives from any region PSN store, swap back to your main PSN account and actually play the title on your regular account and earn trophies for the game on it.

Terramax likes this.
  4. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

I fell in love with the Vita all over earlier this year when I started playing games in Japanese on it. But I'm sure it'll be a third time's love when I'm able to play games from any region on the same memory card. I recently started a Japanese account, but have to play my Japanese game on a separate Vita. Definitely can't wait until I'm able to combine everything together.

Just waiting for the micro SD converter card to come through. Then I'll buy a 512gb micro SD and will get cracking. Also ordered a stand for the vita as, once I have that kind of memory on there, I'll look into adding films and TV shows on there too.

Only issue I have is that bluetooth on my speakers doesn't work so well. there's lag, delay and extorsion in the sound. The only real downer I've had with the Vita thus far.