Hard Copy Games...New Supporter Of The PS Vita?!

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita Games' started by Retro8bit, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Retro8bit

Retro8bit Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    Retro-8-bit
  2. Billybobbean

Billybobbean Well-Known Member

I think we already have enough limited PS4 companies tbh, I got burnt out when it was just LRG. PS4 collecting I’m getting out of, the market it just becoming clogged with excessive amounts of limited prints and it’s totally put me off.

I’m glad all these games can now be preserved but I’m just not interested in collecting them anymore, they aren’t special and fun to get when there’s like 5+ a month, it just locks up all my spare money. Most of the titles aren’t even super desirable anymore, it seems like they’re just being done because they can.

3. Lukey52

Lukey52 Well-Known Member

You're spot on with that. Everyone is trying to jump in on this space and it's too crowded. There's only a finite amount of collectors who actually want all these games. I was sticking with LRG and ignoring the others just because it was too many different companies to keep up with and too expensive though I finally kicked the habit and haven't bought any ps4 games for a few weeks. Too many games and a lot of questionable quality or just not worth spending $40 for a game that's digial for $10 even to keep it forever.

Edit: Skimmed the interview and it kinda sounds like these guys are more interested in focusing on the AUS market. Shipping from AUS to EU will be expensive and with import fees as well I think a $25 game + shipping + taxes likely to come out to $60 or so. You've got to have far too much money lying around if you're willing to spend that much on $10 indie titles.

4. Retro8bit

PSN ID:
    Retro-8-bit
    I can definitely understand how you feel, especially with people who live outside the region of the company, which means even higher cost. Seems like these days its more about quantity over quality.

Though I will say it is very nice that the Vita's lifespan is getting extended more and more everyday with these companies.

comeoutpunching likes this.
  5. comeoutpunching

comeoutpunching Well-Known Member

As long as they release really fun games, not too frequently, and at reasonable prices, I’m in for the long haul :)

6. Digit

Digit Well-Known Member

Call me when it's vita.

7. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

Not being a collector, it's cool to see new publishers still considering the Vita. If it's a fun game, I will consider the price, though with the flat €20 customs rate on top of the 21% that I always seem to be struck with, they need to come with some really fun games for me.

8. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

No, no, no, no and NO.

I'm not against physical Vita games but I am against ANOTHER limited run company.

Just NO, there are enough of them already.

9. Billybobbean

LimitedRun even admitted themselves that they had put out too many releases and it’ll be refreshing this year to see better quality games less often but more companies jumping on the bandwagon is just going to bring that problem back but via different companies.

Honestly I hope they just don’t do any vita releases and just let the existing players do their thing.

10. DojoDan

DojoDan Well-Known Member

I just hope the future holds quality not quantity as said above. Will be interesting to see what they can get hold of that hasn't already been snapped up.

11. Amos67

Amos67 Well-Known Member

im not a fan of manufactured scarcity and limited time window shopping. if a game is going to be limited it needs a backstory or reason. i like games that are not on ps store or the dev/publisher fucked up somewhere which resulted in low sales making it rare.
    these lrg, hardcopy and others are basically forcing a market of meh games. oddworld was a special release that i can understand, things like hotline miama and retro city are also special. but monthly low manufacture time locked releases, yeah nah im not playing to that the same way i wont play into inflated reseller pricing.

12. Billybobbean

This generation is going to be an interesting one looking back, previous generations have had the odd explicitly limited print like Class of Heroes and Tomoyo After but nothing on the scale we’ve had since LRG showed up. I fear it’s going to make it easier to inflate prices in the future as rarity in these cases can be exact vs being best guesses formulated by the communities.

13. Lukey52

People are voting with their wallets. Thimbleweed or whatever it's called has been up for sale on LRG's site for a week and still not sold out, slowest one yet right? I've been checking each evening and some days it doesn't even drop down by 1% in quantity remaining. I would be very afraid to start a new company in this market it's already overflowing and I don't see how you'd secure any 'good' games when there are well established companies already available.

14. Retro8bit

PSN ID:
    Retro-8-bit
    I'll say one thing, collecting for the Vita is certainly not what I had expected from back in 2015. It's really been a lot more interesting than I first imagined. Possibly one of the most unique handhelds to ever get into. What a journey!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  15. geralds

geralds Member

As long as these games out selling out asap and resalers can still make a profit on these limited print games are not going anyware i bet more companies are going to show up I dont think this is then end of it yet. Untill the market on limited printed games crashes this is going to just get worse. You dont need anyone but the scalpers to keep making this a profitable business.

16. Billybobbean

I think the PS4 people more than any other have been getting burnt out with the huge volume of releases, I can’t see if being sustainable for many people to keep up with at this point

There have certainly been a lot of more interesting releases, it’s almost like going back to the PS1/Dreamcast days where imports are really big which is fun.

The sales do seem to be slowing and re-sale value is far less guaranteed than it used to be for a lot of them. I think we’re starting to reach a tipping point

17. geralds

geralds Member

Na if it comes down to it the companies will just produce less copys to see them still sell out meaning still a high return for resalers and collectors alike. Its simple they are just following limited run games model just worse if they dont sell out then there just gonna produce 1000 to 1500 for the hole world at that point chances of another breach and clear are not off unless people start treating games based on there worth for playing not there collectors value. You already see companies like strickly limited games doing that they are producing games with less copies then what limited run games sold for breach and clear. it doesnt matter if its a good game how many good games are actually that rare not many its always the shity game. games like 99 vidas are already rarer then then breach and clear there are chances in the long run it will be more valueable. Whos to say this new company, SLG, Limited run games or anyone ells release a game at even lower print numbers because they just are not selling well enough. If you dont buy this games at a resonable price the resalers are not stupid they wont let them go for anything other then profit and as time goes own there value is just going to clime up. If they dont sell the resalers and just keep holding on to them. Who to say the resalers wont just be the one buying up all the auctions to profit later.

18. Lukey52

Well there's going to be a minimum unit order, I have no idea what it is but probably around the 1,000 mark so I wouldn't worry about ever smaller runs. Of a niche poorly received $5 indie title the market is absolutely tiny so that shouldn't be an issue. I think you over overestimating resellers. I can tell you from first hand experience that LRG releases a year + ago even with several thousand available consistently sold out in the first minutes and you'd have to sit jamming f5 hoping you won't run into an error that means you miss out. Meanwhile within the hour multiple preorders would pop up on eBay. Of course some copies show up on eBay still but it's very rare for a title to actual sell out in minutes now. Also the price that games sell for has dropped a ton. I missed 2 releases around this time last year and had to pay £40ish each. Those same 2 games new now are £28 and £32 with multiples available

I bought 1 of each ps4 release up until recently and am slowly trying to sell them off and there's a fair few that I'm having to sell at a loss simply because there's other cheap copies already sitting on eBay that no one wants to buy and I don't want to sit on them for years in the hopes the price goes up. If anything once the ps4 is no longer the current gen the prices will drop more other than a few of the big games. With that in mind what resellers are buying the maximum amount of each release and then sitting on it for years waiting for the price to jump? The idea is a quick flip on a limited release not a long term investment.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  19. geralds

geralds Member

If no one buy the games and they lift the buyer requirements to unlimited then they can hold a monopoly on the games. So if someone wants to complete there collection they will have no choice but to go to the resalers. Even then you have other collectos who buy and when they don't sell there less in the market more people competition. If people didn't care that much breach and clear would have gone down. Wait till 99 vidas is a 100+ title it will just take a while for what's on the market to sell.

20. Billybobbean

When I started doing my research for what to sell my LR PS4 releases for I was surprised how many of them had dropped in price. Even though there were some bigger ticket ones like Oddworld pulling the average up, it came out around £32 per game if I sold them all at the low end sold listings.

21. KaiserFoxHD

KaiserFoxHD Gaming's not an addiction, It's a lifestyle

Could it be because there is no demand for LR games at the moment? Cause it does seem like a lot of collectors just stopped caring. If they didn't get it on launch, they just let it go, so I really agree that a lot of us just started voting with our wallets like Lukey52 said earlier.

22. Billybobbean

Possibly yea, I just really have doubts that the demand will ever really pick up to a significant degree.

23. shirokuro

shirokuro Well-Known Member

Limited releases are nice since we get more physical games... but there's seriously too many of them out there now o_O At the very least, I hope they'll push out quality games if they do come into the market.

24. zodaex

zodaex Blow monsters with all new weapons

Just because lots of companies are cranking out games doesn't mean that we are obligated to buy them all. I honestly feel that it's actually healthier for the gaming industry to only purchase titles that deserve the sale, that way devs will get the picture that quality games = higher sales. I mean they already have caught on to the fact that sex sales. I think now they are figuring out that if you make a small enough print run, the game will sell like hot cakes regardless of it's quality.

TheAtom likes this.
  25. Lukey52

Collecting a complete set of PS4 games with all the different companies with limited releases and then even the big players like amazon and such releasing smaller runs of PSN games will cost an absolute fortune. I struggle to see there ever being a big demand for these games. They are also far less exciting to display than the old cartridge boxed games imo. The vita has had far less of this treatment and I can see the games holding value since it's realistic to complete a physical vita set but even those I am trying to sell some extra games off and they're sat on eBay for months as the lowest price around with no takers...

I was sucked into the whole limited run thing and when I missed breach and clear and saw the prices it was selling for figured I'd jump in on it because at worst I'd make some money if I decided to stop collecting. In the end I pushed myself to keep going despite seeing the downwards trend in quality and sale price . The end result is it's going to take months and months to sell these games and the money I make out of it is no where worth the time it takes and the risks involved selling through eBay.

Going back to geralds's point about Scalpers, if you know anyone who wants to flip LRG games in the UK let me know. I've got £1500 worth of releases, after shipping and eBay fees you can probably make £200... if you don't mind sitting on them several years. I'm selling about 2 games a month lol.