Hardcore Quantitative Vita Collecting Analysis

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by Tweeg, Jul 26, 2018.

?

Do you collect Vita games?

1. Yes.

21 vote(s)
    80.8%
  2. No.

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  3. Cheese!

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. I collect stamps, how did I get here?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Tweeg

Tweeg Well-Known Member

~ Hardcore Quantitative Vita Collecting Analysis ~
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Foreward

In loving memory of my...

- Social Life -
    Died 2001 after encountering a Sega
    Dreamcast and was never seen again.

Between the anime and all of the video games I never knew thee and thus can only fantasize about what you could've possibly been like.

For points of external reference in this topic, please use the (PDF) document materials from the following webpage of PSO Archive.:
    http://www.tweeg.psoarchive.com/collect/

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Introduction

As we approach literal "end game" for Region 1 and Region 2 (European) physical Vita cartridge production I'd like to take the time to evaluate and explore data only relevant to the few of us going for collection sets, be that set for a specific region(s) or for all games released in a specific language, or perhaps even everything. While not relevant to all, I do suspect others may at least find this topic interesting. This discussion is not for the faint of wallet though, as you might imagine achievement of a full quantitative set in whatever view of the sense one chooses, or may be considering, and the pursuit thereof is not a capital venture to be taken on lightly. And hence forth we now dive head first into the monetary abyss of the analytical discussion of the hardcore collecting aspects of the Vita fandom. Discussion is encouraged!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Part 1: A

Region 1 - The U.S.A., D.O.C., and their territories.:
    As of time of this posting it should be no surprise to any denizens of the internet that video game collecting in R1 has become immensely popular in the last twenty years. A combination of unprecedented individual freedoms, free market capitalism, and a nearly singular shared native language has blessed R1 with a abundance of video gaming releases. Our purchasing accessibility to the world beyond our own borders has further permitted unparalleled access to foreign markets in such ways even our own parents tend to find astonishing. That said, we have those far been blessed with, at this time, a none to shabby two-hundred sixty-eight (268) retail releases, of which it is worth noting that two of those titles were cases containing only download codes. So at present, two-hundred sixty-six (266) physical game cart releases to date. While R1 has a rather healthy economic presence in both in-and-after market online shopping and real world venues, this region will prove especially challenging to those who did not start collecting for the region before or during 2015 as 2015 was the year in which the first limited production releases for the system in this region came to market and were sold exclusively through select online shops. The year 2016 bore witness to a spike in the limited production video game trend and shortly thereafter in 2017 the limited production physical game releases would make up for nearly half of all the game released in the region that year. Presently in 2018, limited production games make up over seventy percent (70%) of all games released thus far this year in the region with more announced to come.

Also due to the unique nature of R1 consisting of only two principal countries there are not many cover variants for the Region, which makes the life of a R1 collector a tad bit easier, especially if said person wishes to only grab the cover variants titles of his/her own country. Due to some rather odd circumstances, mailing of games between these two principal nations is prohibitively expensive. So a Canadian collector isn't likely going to go after U.S.A. game case cover variants, nor a American after Canadian cover variants because the shipping rates are just that insanely silly.

Part 1: B

A Brief Region 1 Release Synopsis:

• Two Hundred Sixty-Eight (268) "physical" releases with two hundred sixty-six (266) of those releases containing a actual game cartridge in the case.
    • Forty-One (41) confirmed (possibly two more as yet unconfirmed) D.O.C. French language game case cover variants exist.
    -
    • Eighty-Six (86) boxed game releases, representing 79 actually game titles, with further breakdown of this category being:
    • Eight (8) Of these titles were only sold as boxed titles by their publishers.
    • Eight (8) more of these title received two different boxed editions.
    • At least thirty-five (35) titles feature box and contents identical to their Region 2 (European) counterparts.
    • One (2) of those thirty-five editions were, in technicality, not different as the additional content for the "edition" was included in a second art box.
    -
    • Sixty-Six (66) limited production releases so far, released by three (3) different publishers.
    • Sixty (60) of those title releases published by Limited Run Games (LRG).
    • Three (3) titles published by Nippon Ichi Software America (NISA).
    • Three (3) titles published, or at least distributed, by FanGamer.
    -
    • Eighty-One (81) Of the R1 releases are English-language physical release exclusives.
    • One hundred eighty-seven (187) releases have been released in at least one other region, physically, in English.
    • The remaining two (2) titles are both DLC code cards in physical game cases, and were released physically, and in English, in other regions. Their collectibility is more for the oddity of why Sony Computer Entertainment of America (SCEA) even bothered with distribution, of otherwise empty game cases, to retailers when no game cartridge is included and other regions were getting same said games in English physically.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  2. Billybobbean

Billybobbean Well-Known Member

Good post, nice to see some good research and hard facts laid down sometimes. Really useful resource.

Couple a questions though:
    D.O.C means what?

Also on your Vita_R1_Directory you don't list Epic Mickey 2 as a R1 release, now it actually saw a release in Mexico with a US rating bundled with a vita so its a very rare variant but is that being factored into your numbers here?

3. Tweeg

Tweeg Well-Known Member

D.O.C. = Dominion of Canada
    Didn't want to unintentionally offend any Canadians by shortening the name to just "Canada".

Oh, the great geo-political intrigue that is Mexico. So, from a technical geographical stand point there are the two linked continents of North and South America. From the geo-political stand point there is North, Central, and South Americas. Mexico doesn't like being associated with "North America" so has come to be regarded (politically) as being the northern most nation in Central America. And SCEA very gleefully tossed them out of PlayStation Region 1 back in 2010 (maybe it was 2011?) putting their game publishing and releases under the control of Sony's Latin-America Division, which is, if I read correctly, headquartered out of Brazil (but still controlled by SCEA, go figure). the key thing to know here is that all of the North and South American releases which do get rated use the ESRB ratings. Epic Mickey 2 drives a lot of collector's nuts because it is a English language playable game with a ESRB rating on the cover, but getting them to accept multiple countries have adopted acceptance of using the ESRB ratings system blows their minds even though they don't think twice about the fact that both the U.S.A. and D.o.C. have been using the system for two decades, so why they have trouble accepting yet more countries have since adopted using the ESRB is a bit bafling.

Edit: Typed the above from my Vita earlier and going to continue on a bit on the subject of the Epic Mickey 2, Region 4 (Latin America) debacle. So to further complicate matters Sony's Latin America division is treated as a subsidiary of SCEA... wait for it.
    So Region 4, while officially per Sony exists, doesn't have unique catalog codes for games. Rather Region 4 games share the same catalog coding used for Region 1, those being "PCSA" and "PCSE" registry. Don't ask me how the PSN store works for folks in Region 4 as I've never, nor have any plans to, jump down that rabbit hole.

So yes though, the obvious appeal of Epic Mickey 2 to collectors, especially those of us residing in Region 1, is that it has a catalog number on the spine that is literally a R1 catalog marking, and has a ESRB rating on the cover that likewise blends well with R1 releases. And just to be clear, I'm not trying to turn people off from obtaining a copy if they want a copy, I myself do own a copy of it for all the reasons noted. And let's think about it this way, how weird it is for R4 to get a non-sports video game release R1 didn't get, and a title playable in English no less!? It's pretty strange to say the least, even more so considering the developer is Disney Interactive and SCEA is the publisher. It raises all sorts of questions about the mentality of the management in SCEA towards the PS Vita and has one asking why on Earth they would choose to release a game developed in English into the ever unstable Spanish-only market where game systems have always sold poorly due to a vast variety of social, political, and economic issues is really mind blowing.

Most people I know who collect Vita imported their copy of Epic Mickey 2 from the somewhat more stable South American markets in Chile and Peru, where the socio-political climates have been far more stable in recent decades allowing for development of consumerism... and more reliable mail service. That being said, Epic Mickey 2 gives the impression of being more readily available from Mexico likely because it does seem to be the least overall developed of the R4 countries wherein the game was available and therefore it likely sold poorly to begin with fewer consumers there aware of the existing demand for this edition of the game in the countries to their north.

Back when demand began to shoot up for the R4 edition of Epic Mickey 2, there were literally game stores in Chile and Peru that happily sold off their remaining copies at well above retail to international buyers through Ebay. But Mexico is a black hole for Ebay users as the country has a extremely corrupt postal system and is lacking in consumer protection laws that would give international buyers peace of mind when buying from a seller based in Mexico. The result is that Mexicans residing in Mexico themselves don't trust making purchases from their fellow countrymen for fear of being scammed by the seller or having their ordered item stolen while in postal custody. What this leads to is what someone I know who vacationed in Mexico just last year discovered, what few game shops exist in Mexico there are have some really awesome selections of video games priced at rather good deals because none of the shop owners are willing to sell online due to the high risks involved. And for the record, three out of three game shops he found and visited in the area of Mexico City all had used copies of Epic Mickey 2 available, that's where my copy was obtained from.

Bottom Line: When I asked SCEA in a e-mail three years ago if games released in Mexico were officially "Region 1" releases, I was told "no" and given a link to a Region map tucked away on some obscure web page on the PlayStation website where Mexico was clearly shown to be in Region 4. So unless Sony cares to amend what they told me back in early 2015, Epic Mickey 2 is not counted as a R1 release.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    Mr Tornado, zodaex and Terramax like this.
  4. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

Tweeg is a major fan of both the Dreamcast (especially PSO) and the Vita, so I can see this being the beginning of a beautiful friendship between us.

On the subject of collecting, with both the Dreamcast and the Vita, I managed about 100 physical games before deciding to throw in the towel and sell the majority of the games off. In the case of the Dreamcast (I tried for a full collection multiple times) I found there were just too many games on the system that I'd never find myself playing to justify the space and money for them. Then I moved to Japan, and used the sales of most of my game collection to pay for the plane tickets, etc.

As for the Vita, I realised my relationship with the women whom is now my wife to be getting stronger and, simply put, there was no way I could collect every physical European release (including the limited editions and some limited to the US) and have the funds for a healthy relationship with her. I chose her over my Vita in the end. Also, this being the digital age, having physical felt slightly pointless seeing as so much of the Vita's best library is digital only. We have several mediocre or crap physical titles, but quality hits such as Hustle Kings and Worms Revolution X remained download only(?)

Then there's the fact that it's so much more convenient to have the games downloaded on your system than to carry a case of carts (and dangerous too, should the carts ever get lost). Sure, some might argue ta PSN will eventually stop for Vita and you can't redownload your games, but by that point the Vita will be hacked so that we can download any game we want for free. FINALLY, PSN sales are so cheap sometimes! Why spend £40+ on a physical game when you can get it on a sale for £5-10?

Ultimately, no, I don't collect. But I download numerous games for cheap.

5. Tweeg

Tweeg Well-Known Member

Oh man, I know how you feel about collecting for the Dreamcast Terramax . I took entirely the wrong approach many years ago. Not going to go diving to far off topic, but suffice to say that I learned a lot from the mistakes I made in attempting to get a complete NA DC game set. Had high hopes to own a NA set of all Dreamcast games for the longest time, but prices on used copies of the rarer titles have continued to to climb. Not to say I haven't shelled out a few thousand dollars on the Vita to date, but I find it a lot easier paying retail for a new copy of a game versus paying retail (or higher) for a used copy of a game, especially when the used copies are quite often in highly suspect physical condition.

Oh, and as a foot note to my previous post, Australia is also part of PlayStation Region 4... yeah.
    [​IMG]

And Region 5, oh... that's even more complex.

[​IMG]

Even my own personal knowledge of Vita expertise is centered upon Regions 1, 2, and 3. Not to say Regions 4, 5, and 6 aren't worth exploring, it's just they're quite difficult to pull hard research data for due to a variety of reasons. Region 4 Australia being the only exception among those three regions, as it is a relative breeze to pull quantitative data for Australia. But the Spanish and Portuguese speaking realms of Region 4 are quite literally the stuff of nightmares to research. We need actual contacts to conduct an effective exhaustive research on what titles were actually released in the rest of Region 4 and anywhere in Regions 5 and 6. Region 6 is extremely unique in that it is comprised of just one country, The Peoples Republic of China (aka Red China). Sony did experiment with releasing systems and games inside of China proper for a time, but obviously publisher's discovered it was much easier to just release Chinese language versions of their games, targeted initially at the Taiwan market, in Region 3 (Southeast Asia) and let the people who want them living in China figure out how to get their hands on them themselves than it was to actually attempt to conform to Chinese laws with release and distribution inside the country.

Terramax likes this.
  6. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

Wow the widescreen-cropped version of The Next Generation looks bad. They chopped the top bit of the captain's head right off! That composition looks even worse than the widescreen version of Return of Jafar. I've heard that that's what they actually air on HD cable nowadays.

SONY likes this.
  7. Tweeg

Tweeg Well-Known Member

Yes, they figured the broadcast quality was so good no one would ever buy the home video versions anymore so they found a way to make people want to buy the home videos once again by cropping the imagery in the broadcasts.

World Premiere Right Here! R4 Preview Checklist!
    http://www.tweeg.psoarchive.com/collect/the_vita_r4_checklist.pdf

Part 2: A

Region 4 - Cast-Offs of the British Empire, Middle Earth, and Conquestidors:

There isn't a lot to say that hasn't already been said about Region 4. Region 4 starts with Mexico and continues waaay south,
    technically to the coast of Antarctica, as Argentina has inhabited territory there. The "Region" then continues west and notably includes
    South Pacific countries; such as Australia, Tasmania, and New Zealand. I'm most sorry to say that the most remarkable aspect to
    the Region 4 releases are just how incredibly unremarkable they actually are.

Region 4 suffers from many traits with the worst of them all being that it has no exclusive titles of its' own, not a single one!
    Further agitating R4 is the massive scale of the region and near even oceanic language barrier between the Central & South
    American continental portion, which is made up of one French, one Portuguese, and the rest entirely Spanish-speaking countries.
    Meanwhile the Southern Pacific portion of the R4 territory countries are dominantly English-speaking countries. No one has ever
    accused Sony of being logical in the manner they went about this bizarre zoning of "regions" that they settled on, and likely
    no one ever shall. Packaging for R4 titles distributed in the Americas tend to be all, or in part, in Spanish, whereas packaging
    for R4 titles distributed in the Southern Pacific countries are in English.

While I would love nothing more then to rattle off statistical details of R4 releases, the sad fact is, I don't know. No, really,
    it's true, I don't actually know. So estimations and best guesses are sadly all I can contribute here, but if some ambitious
    fellow collector(s) living in Australia, Tasmani, New Zealand, or elsewhere in R4 would care to correspond, please do feel free
    to PM or e-mail, in regards to this matter I would love to work with you on cataloging what's out there.

At this present moment, I can confirm the existence of one hundred and five (105) R4 titles released in the Southern Pacific
    area of R4. And I estimate the total number of titles released in the Southern Pacific area of R4 to be around one hundred and
    thirty (130), not a precise number by any means. Major problem with researching this part of R4 is you have to find pictures of
    both the front and backside of the game cases. Reason for this is that apparently some of the retailers imported video games from
    other parts of the British Empire, and even R1, and then in compliance with Australian and/or New Zealand law they slapped
    Australian or New Zealand ratings stickers on the outside of the cases. Further confusing is that many of the game cartridges
    inside of the legitimate R4 cases in this part of the world often contain R2 (Europe) labeled cartridges, complete with PEGI
    rating!

As for the Americas portion of R4, I offer the pathetic estimation of more than ten (10) but less than a hundred (100) titles.
    If there have been more than a hundred titles released into this part of Region 4, I'd honestly be quite surprised. This is
    where R4 gets super confusing though is that nearly every one of the countries in the Americas has adopted, either officially or
    unofficially, the ESRB ratings system, the very same sole ratings system used in R1. Further, the game cartridges found inside of
    cases distributed in this part of R4 have often been reported as being either labeled as either R1 or R2 (Europe) game cartridges!

Part 2: B

A Brief Region 4 Release Synopsis:
    I don't know how many games have been released in R4. Really read Part 2: A above, I'm not joking.
    Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two was released in R4 (Americas) with ESRB rating, a mostly English cover, and is playable in English.
    There are no exclusive titles in this region.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    Terramax likes this.
  8. rajat

rajat Well-Known Member

Terramax and Hakaider like this.
  9. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

I can feel my brain getting larger after reading all this. Thanks Tweeg!

Terramax likes this.
  10. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

Tweeg interesting what you're writing about R4, as I was under the impression that Australia was in the European region, actually. I know IFFY Europe for example does its business there, legally.

Brazil, I happen to know, is a super weird country as well when it comes to this. The PS2 was officially released there in 2009 with a launch price that converts to almost $500, with the ps3 arriving nine months after in 2010 with a launch price that converts to about $1130. Mind you, average wage household income in Brazil per month is about $350. People in the Americas, to my knowledge, have often gotten imported US consoles and games, though I think older people (that don't get consoles for their kids) perhaps try to get the official local releases (that are often priced ridiculously). A lot of this all (not the ridiculously low average household income despite the humongous income of the rich there (which says a lot about the size and the spread of poverty) is partially explained by its ridiculous import taxes and tariffs on products. For some things, anything that isn't made in Brazil is unoffordable (think the Playstation consoles, that get their pricing because the consoles are manafactured internationally, then shipped to Brazil, meaning that the local distributors or retailers pay import costs), whereas other times, Brazilian-made products can be cheaper to import from the US, than actually buy them from the local distributors. Shit's an absolute mess, and that all on top of widespread poverty that doesn't allow for big sales numbers even without the mess.

If we then take into consideration that, as you said, the land it covers is ridiculous, there's a lot of different languages with a very poor average level of English (meaning most people will probably want to play games in their native tongue, whereas Dutch people typically cringe at every single game that gets published in Dutch (it's great for fun, but hard to take it seriously, honestly) because we're just so used to English), it's understandable that the market is so weird. Incredibly fascinating though!

edit: just saw the poll. Do I collect Vita games? It's a tough question (lemme finish! I'm being serious here! xD). I'm not a collector like some here, but I do like to own all the games I want to play physically... so... hmmm... I guess that does make me a collector. Not a general collector, but a collector of games that I want to play. I think?

11. Tweeg

Tweeg Well-Known Member

Not to mention you could contract malaria, cholera, and be attacked by a boa constrictor, caiman, crocodile, and piranhas just by stepping in a mud puddle there! Okay, maybe a slight exaggeration... malaria is contracted from mosquito bites, not contact with mud puddles. ;)

Brazil has very unusual copyright and patent laws. Back in the 1980's and 1990's Sega made a name for itself in Brazil by partnering up with Brazilian electronics manufacturer "Tec Toy" and licensing the Sega Master System and Sega Genesis (aka Sega Mega Drive) to them for manufacturing in Brazil. Brazillian import laws make it prohibitively expensive to import market-ready consumer technology products from abroad, but if the products are at least partially made and completed in Brazil the makers negate or even avoid completely some very costly trade tariffs.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Part 3: A

Region 2 (except Japan) - Greenland, Iceland, The British Empire, most of Europe, the Middle East, and South Africa:

To clear something up at the very start, Japan is also part of "Region 2", but will be covered entirely by itself at another time. The rest of Region 2 is dominated by English language releases typically, but not always, released through British-based publishers and featuring the "PEGI" rating on the packaging. The second largest nation from which games see publication, as can be noted by the "USK" rating on the package is Germany. Rarer yet are games with packaging specific to Spain, France, and The Netherlands, even though the games themselves in those packages usually still feature at least the option to play whatever game it is in English. Regardless of that, there are at least a few country specific variants of games which have no English option at all, such confirmed titles were released in The Netherlands and France, but others could exist.

Region 2 is blessed with having received a good number of English-language physical exclusive titles, with more still yet touted as coming. Additional English language playable titles, not exclusive to R2 but unavailable in R1, have also been released Region 2. This makes Region 2 a rather hot market for the Vita as people living there have a great selection of games with a slow trickle of titles still planned for release before the Sony imposed R1 & R2 manufacturing deadline next March.

Collecting the mainline, English playable, releases for R2 should be considerably easier then attempting to collect a Region 1 set, as there have been far fewer limited production releases produced by Region 2 publishers. On the down side, persons seeking to collect country specific release variants for anywhere other than Great Britain will likely find doing such to be quite a daunting challenge. And also persons collecting for a R2 (European) set who do not have a British territorial mailing address may run into inconvenient issues in regards to international shipping and import customs fees.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Part 3: B

A Brief Region 2 (except Japan) Release Synopsis:

• Two Hundred and ten (210) physical game release titles.
    • Twenty-Six (26)* of the R2 releases are English-language physical release exclusives.
    • Sixteen (16)* titles released, while not R2 English exclusives, are games which have never been released physically in R1.
    • One hundred eighty-four (184) releases have been released in at least one other region, physically, in English.
    • A unconfirmed number of non-English language game, or at least case, variants to the 210 games do exist.
    -
    • At least fifty-one (51) boxed game releases, representing forty-four (44) actual game titles, with further breakdown of this category being:
    • At least thirty-five (35) collector's/limited edition boxed titles feature box and contents identical to their Region 1 counterparts.
    • Two (2) of those thirty-five (35) editions were, in technicality, not different as the additional content for one "edition" was included in a second art box.
    -
    • Two (2) limited production releases so far released by one publisher, Strictly Limited Games (SLG).

*Due to lack of data for both Regions 4 & 5 these numbers may be slightly inacurate, though not dramatically.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    zodaex, TheAtom and rajat like this.
  12. simplebeianton

simplebeianton New Member

I used to collect Australian PAL Region 4 games and that number seems pretty accurate. I can confidently count 119 Australian releases and potentially 4 - 5 more that I'm not sure on.

The last in-store release we got was Yomawari: Midnight Shadows and the most recent release was Hakuoki: Edo Blossoms available directly from Iffys Europe. It is very unlikely there will be any more.

rajat and Tweeg like this.
  13. Miguel

Miguel Well-Known Member

The problem with Brazil is the "foreigner

14. Tweeg

Tweeg Well-Known Member

The Region 4 Checklist (which is now public) is presently sitting at 111 confirmed R4 titles. Would love confirmation on additional R4 specific releases as I have a short list of other titles eluded to as officially having either Australian and/or New Zealand releases, but have yet to find actual photographic evidence of R4 case covers existing. Some low quality edited front cover images seems to exist for a few of the titles, but I'm after hard evidence.

Also confusing matters are the countless game cases with Australian or NZ ratings stickers applied by grey market sellers to the outside of R1, R2, and R3 imported games. As was explained by someone on another message board, this exists because many of the smaller retailers were able to import and inventory other region's versions of certain games for less money then it would have cost them to inventory the official Region 4 releases of those same titles. Quite the shame really.

Nippon Icchi Software (NIS) is somewhat odd in that they clearly released some of their titles with R4 packaging, but some eluded to R4 titles have either become super rare to the point I can't find pictures or were not released with R4 specific covers at all.

Oh Idea Factory! Were all of their releases simply the R2 copies mailed directly to R4 buyers? Or did they actually have R4 cover variants? If they exist, they must be quite rare.

Sorry if it seems like the subject matter has been gotten stuck on R4. Will get into posting more about other regions and various collecting specifics soon.

15. simplebeianton

List looks good so far. I've made a quick list of missing games (https://pastebin.com/YBnv7CiE). If you want some image confirmation I'll scrape through my various resources to show you the covers.

Superbeat Xonic was one of these, some of our retailers imported the PAL version and slapped a sticker on top. There's no R4 version of the game.

It was amusing when the reverse situation happened when R4 copies of Gal gun and Senran kagura were pulled from our shelves. They ended up being shipped back to the UK and some 3rd party sellers on Amazon had a couple of hundred copies of each about a year and a half later.

Demon Gaze 2 was a good example of this. I tried preordering at a local store and play-asia, but neither ended up getting a copy. On their web store, I think the may have had a 'AUS / NZ' option in the dropdown for the collectors edition, but I've never seen a copy. It's extremely unlikely a R4 version exists and if it did, it's equally unlikely any were purchased from their web store.

The majority of iffy's releases have proper R4 versions as well. They are only rare because few people know they exist and can still be purchased now. Neptunia PP was the only iffy game released in store, the rest were through iffyseurope.

Tweeg likes this.
  16. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

Not quite true (or do you mean R4 versions?). It was NISA that did PP actually :)

The EU versions of most games got in at least some stores. Many Game Mania shops still have stock of the Blanc vs Zombies game for example.

The game for AU/NZ is the exact same though, it's just a different cover (as opposed to NA versions that really have a different cartridge).

Tweeg likes this.
  17. simplebeianton

Yeah you are right about PP, I had forgotten that NISA published it.

I'm specifically talking about the situation of R4 releases in Australia. PP was the only one available in store over here.

Yeah, the cartridges are exactly the same but our covers are different. For a while I was suspicious of YS memories of celceta, but it turns out PAL copies have our rating printed on the cart itself, too.

TheAtom likes this.
  18. Tweeg

Tweeg Well-Known Member

Interesting, I will remove Superbeat Xonic later tonight then. Likely the picture I saw then was a grey market with a ratings sticker applied neatly enough that it had me fooled. Going back and looking I can't find it now, so yeah.

List of games I've been attempting to confirm the existence of R4 official cover variants there of below, with games in green which exist on both our lists simplebeianton.:

Arcana Heart 3: LOVE MAX!!!!
    Assasin's Creed Chronicles
    Danganronpa Another Episode : Ultra Despair Girls
    Danganronpa v3: Killing Harmony
    Demon Gaze
    Dungeon Travellers 2 : The Royal Library & the Monster Seal
    Everybody's Golf
    Hakuoki: Edo Blossoms
    Hakuoki: Kyoto Winds
    Hatsune Miku : Project Diva F 2nd
    Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth3 : V Generation

Hyperdimension Neptunia U : Action Unleashed
    LEGO Jurassic World
    LEGO Marvel : Avengers
    LEGO Ninjago : Nindroids
    LEGO Ninjago : Shado of Ronin
    Mary Skelter: Nightmares
    MXGP : The Official Motocross Videogame
    Odin Sphere Leifthraiser
    Operation Babel: New Tokyo Legacy

Playstation Vita Pets
    Rugby 15
    Superdimension Neptune Vs Sega Hard Girls
    The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
    Trillion: God of Destruction
    Yomawari: Midnight Shadows

Comparing with your provided list:
    So yes, if you could provide validation (in this instance pictures) of those R4 cover variations that would be great!

sean likes this.
  19. simplebeianton

I've updated the pastebin I linked earlier (https://pastebin.com/YBnv7CiE). Here's an album of all the images (https://imgur.com/a/dzYSGSc) and an additional image from a local game store about a year ago (https://i.imgur.com/GrY9Thj.jpg).

From the second list you provided, I was able to confirm the existence of R4 copies of:
    • Arcana Heart 3: LOVE MAX!!!!
    • Hyperdimension Neptunia U : Action Unleashed
    • LEGO Jurassic World
    • LEGO Marvel : Avengers
    • LEGO Ninjago : Nindroids
    • LEGO Ninjago : Shado of Ronin
    • Playstation Vita Pets
    Lego Jurassic World was a bit elusive but I managed to find a gumtree listing which appeared to have an Australian copy with the rating label visible on the spine. There is also a low quality image of the front cover and what appears to be a sticker from a local pawn shop.

I could only find a single, low quality image of the front cover of Demon Gaze, but I can confirm the R4 copy exists since I used to own it but have lost the photos I took from when I put it on eBay.

I am almost certain that the R4 version of Hakuoki: Edo Blossoms R4 exists and can be purchased from iffyseurope, but I can't prove it since I have seen absolutely no sales online.

I'll keep an eye out for any of the others. I think I was mistaken with Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen, I probably saw a PAL copy with a sticker.

Tweeg likes this.
  20. Tweeg

Tweeg Well-Known Member

The contributions of you and sean shall from this day forth forever be known to your fellow R4 collectors.:
    http://www.tweeg.psoarchive.com/collect/the_vita_r4_checklist.pdf

That still leaves these titles as mysteries regarding R4 cover variants for the time being.:
    Hakuoki: Edo Blossoms
    MXGP: The Official Motocross Videogame
    Rugby 15

Likewise, so far I've only run across German USK rated copies of Shinobido 2 on Ebay Australia. I'm inclined to believe Edo Blossoms should have a R4 cover variant as well, but without photographic evidence it isn't going onto the checklist. Guess it's time to send a e-mail to Iffy Europe for confirmation.

sean likes this.
  21. simplebeianton

22. Tweeg

Tweeg Well-Known Member

23. geralds

geralds Member

This list is odd why is region 4 even a thing. Explain to be the absolute differnce in a Australian games vs European games. Why is it that all australlian games shares the same exact product codes as uk copies. Outside the piece of paper on the outside all Australian games are 100% the uk copies the game codes match dlc from the uk store will work. I open up an Australian game the cart doesnt even bare the Australian rating logo just the pal rating logo. I can use dlc from the Australian store on the uk store or vis versa explain to me the difference. You own the full uk collection you own the full Australia collection.

Same thing goes fot mexico and latin American game product identify code mstch the same codes from usa and canada so how are they different. I can take a game bought from mexico play it in english and use dlc from the usa store. I can take usa games buy mexican dlc what the difference.

A good example to explain my point I can take a Japanese copy from Japan and asia same 100% identical game. Difference here is dlc from an asian copy and Japanese copy dont work they have different products identifiers.

Im basing this off product identifiers to show there is 0 difference is there was something different the product code would show it. Take epic mickey 2 from uk and epic mickey 2 german they bare different product codes and there is a difference there are different langauge option. Same deal for uncharted golden abys german and uk copies bare different codes as germans not a language option in the uk copy and ether is english in the german copy. Now i can take a game like need for speed most wanted german, spain , uk, Australian, russian all bare the same copy because the same cart is sold in all 4 counties and the game might not bare the language of said country. Also all carts have a main default language where if your system isnt in said langauge the copy supports it defaults to thay langauge. This fact is no different on a ps3 or a ps4 ether works the same.

Ps2 it does work differently due to dvd region codes and mexican copies actually do bare a different code and region meaning unplayable on usa system. If the product codes match on both a mexican and usa ps2 game then they store the region coding for both region 1 and region 4 on the same disc. That means the game is playable on both a usa ps2 and mexican ps2 making the region 1 and 4 north American release identical as there is no separation of release.

I also saw your comment on China hard to research. No its not all information is readily available on chinas official PlayStation page theres only 12 physical games next to no official mainland china games get released for any system. Also mainland chinese games are released in simplfied chinese vs hk/tiawan are traditional Chinese. Also it has nothing to do with being easier to release games inside in tiawan/hk why there are no mainland Chinese games. The Chinese government bands most games forces worse censorship then even Australia. All online mode gets removed, all games are manually approved by the Chinese government there no rating system. There are only around 30 mainland chinese games released between phyical and digital. Even the vast majority of mainland Chinese for ps4 dont exist out of the thousands released world wise there probably less then 100 games released. Nintendo 3ds had 2 games released that are built-in for it. China ds like 5 to 10 n64 around 8. Xbox isnt doing better.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    SONY likes this.
  24. simplebeianton

There isn't really a difference, as you said, it's just the cover that differs and the product codes are the same as PAL releases. We have our own rating system and a large enough population to justify getting alternative covers printed, but not enough to bother creating an entirely independent region. There likely weren't any vita production facilities in Australia and games would have been produced overseas. It's the same situation as most other modern consoles such as the ps4, 3ds, Switch etc. Same product id's, different covers.

We aren't totally irreverent, Wallabies Rugby Challenge wasn't released in any other region as far as I can tell and Memories of Celceta has our rating logo on printed the cart (well it's printed on every PAL cart).

TheAtom likes this.
  25. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

I 100% agree with you.
    OCD behaviour and pure brainless behaviour will explain why people get caught up in trying to collect or complete a console game library from the PAL or European regions.