Official Topic Helldivers

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita Games' started by Techup, Feb 28, 2015.

1. rbnoble06

rbnoble06 Active Member

Let us know how you get on with it and if you come across any issues. Hopefully it was just down to internet lag for the other player like you said.

2. Techup

Techup Well-Known Member

Started playing. Played for about 30-45 minutes or so. Game play is pretty solid so far. The missions have been easy thus far so I haven't gone to multiplayer yet. Plus I'm trying to get the controls down pat so as not to look like a complete noob online.

The shadows do look pretty bad lol. I'd prefer to just remove them completely though personally. I never cared about shadows in games anyways and usually removed them completely in PC games (usually makes the game run infinitely smoother without them) but they aren't so terrible that it distracts from the game.

Graphics don't look bad imo. And so far the game has ran smooth. Though of course, I've played 45 minutes worth of easy missions and have done them solo, but no complaints so far.

Boy there's a lot of stuff to research too... Finding samples to get research points is going to take forever I think. Hopefully there's going to be plenty of opportunities to find them because after the first 2 missions of me searching the entire area and only finding 2, maybe 3, per planet, I just go straight for the objectives now.

Anyways.... I like it so far. I'll need to test some online play in a little while once I've gotten a bit higher up since most of the online games I saw were in the tougher difficulties and I've only be doing the easiest ones so far, as that's all that has been given to me.

So yup. Take my opinions for what they are. 45 minutes of gameplay worth lol.

rbnoble06, PixelKnot and b0h3mian like this.
  3. b0h3mian

b0h3mian Well-Known Member

Interested in this, though I might not be playing multiplayer. Is there a good single player mode or something?

Like others, it reminded me of Starship Troopers, and the mechanics from the PSP Killzone.

Kevorn21 likes this.
  4. Techup

Techup Well-Known Member

I believe the single player is the exact same as the multiplayer. Not 100% sure as I've still only done some single player missions.

Either way, I imagine running the entire game solo.... would be so extremely difficult it wouldn't be worth it unless your just a sadistic bastard lol.

I haven't had any issues yet solo (died a couple times but you get a couple revives when completing objectives) but I've only done up to "easy" difficulty missions so far. I imagine the harder difficulties would be.... well.... harder and likely enraging to do them solo.

To those who are playing or thinking about getting the game, I'd highly recommend investing your first 3 or 4 research points into Humblebee UAV drone. Max it out early (imo) since it will show you samples on the map. Since you need samples to get research points outside of leveling up, the earlier you get it, the fast you can upgrade your stuff and the sooner it pays itself off. Great investment stratagem imo.

rbnoble06 and b0h3mian like this.
  5. b0h3mian

Thanks for the input :) Will research more before making the plunge.

But damn, the game sure looks good!

6. Darkknezz

Darkknezz Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    DarkScollo
    You can play it solo or coop. Unfortunately you must be connected online to do both. Kind of a turn off for me considering I play in short bursts and don't want to me connected. I like to play, put my vita to sleep then pick it back up. You can't do that with Helldivers.

b0h3mian likes this.
  7. Kyle

Kyle Just Some Guy Staff Member

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    According to what Tyler said to me earlier, if you enable airplane mode you can play offline.

8. Darkknezz

Darkknezz Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    DarkScollo
    Good to know, thanks

9. Techup

Techup Well-Known Member

I had noticed the constant "logging in" thing whenever I started the game up again after taking a break and was wondering if it was possible to play without a connection. Good to know you can. Especially since this is a great game for pick up and play for those nice little short bursts of 10-15 minutes if you're out somewhere.

10. b0h3mian

Thanks too! I'm always on Flight mode (to save juice) to play anyway :)

11. Americo

Americo Member

PSN ID:
    eternal_76
    This game is so much damn fun. Multi wasn't working earlier for me, but gonna try again.

12. VietLe

VietLe Well-Known Member

I dont seem to see any problem on the video of Tyler playing. Maybe they were experiencing lags.

13. Techup

Techup Well-Known Member

So I just experienced my first crash in the game. :/

Was playing offline since my power went out for about 30 minutes and as I was completing an objective, game crashed and I got an error :/

Hopefully it was a rare situation but I get tired of games crashing (MC drove me nuts with this shit... Lost so much progress).

14. Oxygen1777

Oxygen1777 Member

PSN ID:
    Oxygen1777
    I have just psvita.And i have a bad internet so should i buy this game?

15. 2048Dan

2048Dan Well-Known Member

I've just played several hours multiplayer online with no lag at all. No framerate drops or any other problems either even with four players. I have a good connection and a good router though, which I sit right next to. :)

The game is really addictive.

Kyle and Tyler like this.
  16. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

Hmm it can be played offline but after planet level 6+ it'll be very hard to continue without friends. It really just depends on how "bad" your internet really is.

17. radmiralackbar

radmiralackbar Active Member

I was pretty keen to give this a go but the Aus release is $32 I mean that is almost standard retail price and i'm only getting a digital copy. Do you think it's worth the plunge?

I can't see it being dropped in price anytime soon.

18. Techup

Techup Well-Known Member

Hrmm.... I'm a cheap bastard so I'd say it's hard to justify that kind of price for the game. I think it's a good game, but it isn't a game I'd personally pay $32 for. I don't even like paying $40 for new releases though lol. Ultimately if you think it's a game you'd really really enjoy and have friends that are playing it, then I'd say go ahead and take the hit on your wallet. Otherwise, if it were me, I'd personally pass on it for $32 (because I'm a cheap mofo).

19. radmiralackbar

I am cheap too, there is nothing like getting games on sale. But I have had a look at the reviews, gameplay and images it looks fantatsic/ a bit ridiculous so I think I will get it as its a game I want to get into from the start. With multiplayer can you search to join or do you ahve to be in party to do a mission? Also is it compatible on PS TV??

20. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

You can join randoms or friends which are separate to make it easy to find friends.

Also I don't know about PSTV I don't have one

21. radmiralackbar

Ah thanks, that makes it easiuer. Also answered my own question, it is currently not supported on PS Vita TV, hopefully gets patched soon.

22. benna

benna Well-Known Member

okay... since Techup's & Imsohappy77's psnprofiles were staring me in the face, with game art, I just bought both Helldivers and Oreshika :D Now, which one to play first... save Techup-sama from certain death? or certain death after 2 years with that cute Mouse-girl!! Decisions decisions...

Murphy and Tyler like this.
  23. Yaster

Yaster Well-Known Member

Got this game as soon as I saw it on the store as I have been waiting for it for over a year now. I remember it was meant to come out at the same time as Hohokum, at least it was being previewed at the same time.

The Vita version does seem to have a couple of issues, but at least it's cross buy with the console versions so I'm ok playing those for the time being, at least just the PS4 version. But it doesn't matter which version you play as it's all cross-play!

24. Techup

Techup Well-Known Member

I almost wish I had a PS4. I bet this game looks damn good on a PS4 on a big screen.

Now I need to get motivated to play, but after shoveling snow for 45 minutes... I'm tempted to just take a nap instead lol.

I have a quick question. Does anyone have the Justice rifle yet? I think I'm 14 or 15 and I'm kind of trying to save some research points so I can max it out when I get it, but was just curious around what level it gets unlocked at.

I've been using mostly the first shotgun you get, but was wanting to switch it up a bit here soon.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  25. DeathMoJo

DeathMoJo Well-Known Member

Videos and gameplay impressions nice on this one, ill wait for a ps+ sale down the road on this one.