Help Me Learn Japanese, Vita-kun!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Lounge' started by bss, Sep 23, 2016.

1. bss

bss Well-Known Member

Hello everyone!

I thought it'd be a good idea to make a topic on one of the things I've had on-again, off-again motivation to do for years: finally learning Japanese. I've picked up miscellaneous words and phrases from all sorts of sources, and have the kana generally down, but I still have to think about verb forms, generally, and my overall vocabulary and kanji recognition is abysmal.

So, I thought I'd see if there were any like-minded people who are trying to learn Japanese, and are using games (especially the Vita) to help it along. If anyone has any interest, experience, or guidance along these lines, I'd love to see it. Maybe this thread can become where we combine efforts among kindred spirits.

I'll start things off with a list of games I've had some experience with, though I certainly welcome more thoughts and suggestions. I have a fair amount of games I've started trying to learn with, but I'm not yet at the point that I can really recognize easy from hard (because all of it's hard). If I get a bunch of help (or, with any luck, experience), I want to organize this by difficulty or recommendation or something. But for now, on to the games!

Vita Games
    • AKB 1/149 Renai Sousenkyo - dating sim featuring the idols of AKB48 and their related acts. Simple dating sim, essentially fully voiced, and the kanji isn't hard at all. (Thanks Akros)
    • Ciel nosurge Offline - raising sim precursor to Ar nosurge. Seems jargon heavy, but again, ┐(ツ)┌ it's not like I know the difference.
    • Ebikore + Amagami - dating sim with a variety of personalities and paths. Text may be difficult, but it was (fully?) voiced and you can replay voices in the log, which helps lots.
    • Girls und Panzer - schoolgirls in a tank combat club. Been a while since I played it, but the vocabulary didn't seem to be the hardest.
    • IA/VT Colorful - see Project Diva entry.
    • Moero Chronicle - ecchi dungeon crawling with monster girls. Decent if you like gridders. Japanese doesn't seem too bad so far, but I've just started playing it again.
    • Persona 4 Dancing All Night - great rhythm game with the favorite kids from Inaba. Most of the text is in menus or the fairly lengthy (for a rhythm game) story mode, but it doesn't seem easy.
    • Phantasy Star Nova - I had the best of intentions, but immediately dropped off on this. Too much action text for such a newbie.
    • Any of the Project Diva games - also great rhythm games, this time with Vocaloids. Japanese is pretty much all in the menus, unless you go watch the song lyrics in video mode after playing.
    • Puyo Puyo Tetris - extremely fun puzzle game with Puyo Puyo and Tetris modes. The Japanese is fairly simple, and contained mostly to menus aside from the story mode.
    • Steins;Gate: Hiyoku Renri no Darling - a man can dream.
    • Super Heroine Chronicle - tactical RPG. Waiting for this to arrive, but the language level looks moderately approachable.
    • Time Travelers - visual novel of sorts by Level-5. Especially noteworthy because it's one of the few (if not only?) Vita games with furigana.
    Other Resources
    • To fill in, I've been keeping a variety of dictionaries and apps close at hand.
    Share your experiences or join me on this crazy journey!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    Simmi likes this.
  2. Akros

Akros Well-Known Member

Cool, I guess I'm not alone in the japanese learning path.
    I've been going at it for some years and went to class in college and last July I took the N3 level test.

Anyway, give a try to AKB 1/149 Renai Sousenkyo, really simple dating sim related to the idol group, it's pretty much full voiced and the kanji ain't hard at all.

Also, you can check After Kiss (Kisu ato) and Photo Kano, 2 visual novels. Things like the Gundam games could be cool too.

I didn't know about Time Travelers having furigana, so that's definetly one of my future pick-ups

3. bss

bss Well-Known Member

I have Gundam Breaker 2 but didn't really get into it. Gunpla is not really my thing yet, though at some point I'll probably give it another try.

Thanks for the recommendations! I decided to add AKB 1/149 Renai Sousenkyo and Ebikore Photo Kano Kiss to my collection of games. I'm going to update the OP with AKB 1/149 Renai Sousenkyo, since you mentioned some notes for it.

Akros likes this.
  4. Akros

Akros Well-Known Member

Now that I think about it... what about the elementary and middle school math games and the likes? I know there's a couple of them on the system.

5. Simmi

Simmi Otome Enthusiast

I personally I learn a lot playing Japanese Otome games, but it does take you a while to finally finish the game (as you pretty much have to stop at each dialogue and look for kanjis etc) but I made incredible progress in a few months so I guess it's a good method if you're highly motivated :) Pick ones that are fully voiced so you can use what you hear to help you get the kanjis (most of the time now I don't even bother looking them up as I understand from hearing them)

6. TriOpticon

TriOpticon Well-Known Member

bss how goes the learning? Any other games to recommend?