Hori L2/R2 + L3/R3 Assist Attachment Remote Play grip for PS Vita Slim

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by Renegade Bastard, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Renegade Bastard

Renegade Bastard Well-Known Member

If this grip works as good as I'm hoping it will. I think I may have just found an awesome solution for my portable AAA gaming needs. This grip with my PS Vita Slim and combined with PS Now subscription? Sounds like an excellent and affordable solution to me! I may have just lost most of my interest in the upcoming Nintendo Switch. What do you all think? Am I crazy or does this seem legit? I just ordered myself this attachment off Play-Asia for only $24.99 USD!

Play-Asia Link: Hori Remote Play Assist Attachment Grip for PS Vita Slim

***Edit***
    January 25th, 2017

Hori Remote Play Assist Attachment for PS Vita Slim Review.

Pros:
    +Cost: The Remote Play Assist Attachment grip retails for approximately $25 USD. A very affordable way to "upgrade" your PS Vita and give the handheld a DS4 controller like feel.

+Build Quality: The Attachment is built out of plastic that closely resembles the quality of a DualShock 4 controller. There is no texture on the grip handles as they are smooth like a DS4 controller. The Attachment does not feel cheap and flimsy as well as does not creak or flex while gaming on the Vita. The Attachment only comes in black color, which tends to match just about any colored PS Vita handheld system you may own. The physical buttons are a grey color and have just the right amount of play in them, not too stiff and not too loose. The buttons do not feel mushy or clicky. They have a similar feel to a cross between a DS3 and DS4 PlayStation controller. Buttons do not stick when pressed and released, so you don't have to worry about phantom rear touch panel responses while playing your game.

+Ease of Use: This particular accessory for your Vita is very easy to attach and remove without having to risk breaking any tabs or scratching up your handheld in the process. The Vita slides into place from a top to bottom installation and then the Vita is secured in place by a lever that clamps down on top of the handheld. This lever doesn't obstruct any buttons or indicator lights on top of the handheld, however game cards are inaccessible for insertion or removal while the Vita is installed into the Attachment. Neither the Micro USB data / charging port or the 3.5mm headphone jack are obstructed while the Vita is installed into the Attachment. Both ports are fully accessible. Removal of the Assist Attachment is just as easy as equipping it. 3 to 5 seconds total time to equip or remove. All the pressure points the Vita handheld rests on while installed in the Attachment grip are neoprene contact pads to protect the handheld from scratching or slipping around inside the grip. The Vita is held firmly in place and doesn't move around when inside the Attachment.

+Function: This Attachment adds four more physical buttons to your PS Vita Slim! You are given physical L2 / R2 buttons directly below the physical L1 / R1 buttons that come factory installed on the PS Vita handheld. You are also given physical L3 / R3 triggers in the center bottom of the Remote Play Assist Attachment. When pressed and activated, the buttons use a mechanical solution inside the Attachment to press conductive capacitive rubber like pads against the rear touch panel of the PS Vita Slim to mimic 1:1 a finger press. The buttons are laid out where the top left corner and the bottom left corner of the touch panel are L2 / L3 respectively as well as the top right corner and the bottom right corner of the touch panel are R2 / R3 respectively. Games that take advantage of this particular control layout are best played with this Attachment installed!

Cons:
    -Games Compatibility: Not all games that play on PS Vita locally or streamed remotely via Remote Play or PS Now subscription service take full advantage of this controller grip solution. Many games, including but not limited to PS4 games that are remote played, do not allow for custom button mapping and instead use a forced control scheme that may disable the rear touch panel in favor of using the front touch screen of the PS Vita for control input methods.

-Import Product: The only way to purchase this accessory for your PS Vita Slim is to import the product from Hong Kong. This grip is not sold in stores here in the United States.

Other Thoughts:
    This Remote Play Assist Attachment Grip is a near flawless design by Hori, a well respected video game console and handheld accessory manufacture in the industry. The grip allows for better control over gaming, even if you aren't taking advantage of the extra buttons that are given, simply by giving the PS Vita Slim system more girth and making the system easier to hold by people with larger hands like myself. (I'm 6'4 and have a 2XL glove size) The Attachment grip weight plus the weight of the PS Vita Slim handheld, both combined weigh in roughly the same weight of an original OLED model PS Vita, so the overall weight is non issue for long portable gaming sessions. The grip allows for use of additional buttons on most games that can be played on the Vita, including PS One classics. However, keep in mind that any game requiring you to drag your finger around on the rear touch panel for control input will not be playable while this Attachment grip is equipped onto your system. Just simply remove the grip to play said game, then reattach the grip when you want to play a different game.

Overall Review Score: 9.0

*This Review was not sponsored by Hori, nor was a Remote Play Assist Attachment Grip provided for my evaluation and review. All costs incurred were paid for by myself out of my own pocket.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  2. Archbreaker

Archbreaker Member

I just bought this as well. I bought it from Play-asia since a number of youtubers like jamm3r and Gadgetgirlkylie have a code for $3 off the purchase. It was basically free shipping with the code, so I figured "why not" since I want to use it when I get Playstation Now one day. From what I've seen in videos, it looks like a reliable device for remote play and Playstation Now, so I'm really looking forward to it. I like that it's easy to take off as well.

Renegade Bastard likes this.
  3. Renegade Bastard

Nice! I can't wait to test out this little sucker as well! It looks promising for sure. Standing at 6'4, I have huge hands (2XL glove size) so I think by adding some bulk to my Vita Slim, the system will be far easier for me to hold and game on now!

4. ixbeefxi

ixbeefxi Well-Known Member

Looking forward to hear how you find it. My Nyko grip turned up this week and it has transformed the way I play games like Killzone & Borderlands but it is still a pain trying to do L2/R2.

I have PlayStation Now and it is great streaming to the Vita I can only dream of playing a game like Bioshock on the go though because it would be impossible with using the back touch pad for the L2/R2.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

5. Renegade Bastard

Very true! The Touchpad for L2 / R2? Thats a nightmare control scheme! I can't wait to try out this new Hori attachment and report back my findings. I'll be setting up a trial to PS Now to test it out more specifically.

ixbeefxi likes this.
  6. ixbeefxi

ixbeefxi Well-Known Member

If it turns out that it that it works then I will be placing an order for one myself.

Bioshock on vita makes me weak at the knees

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

7. Renegade Bastard

Completely understandable. I'm really hoping the Hori Assist Attachment works out as well as I think it might. It does hold much promise, especially based on the Vita quick attach and release design as well as added triggers on the base of the grip to give you an L3 / R3 physical button layout. I have my fingers crossed that Hori can deliver!

ixbeefxi likes this.
  8. Zikaprevail

Zikaprevail Active Member

I bought this, its a good attachment unfortunately many games dont let you re map to the bac tough pad on remote play. However ive definately not lost interest in switch lol. The thing will be more powerful than a ps3 at least. It will be the most powerful handheld ever made so i will be buying that too :)

9. Zankonell

Zankonell Active Member

Is it a pressure pad that pushes the back? Will it work with any game that requires the R2/L2 buttons? I'm trying to play Megaman legends 2 right now and need the R2 button.

10. Zikaprevail

Yes each of the 4 buttons press on the back touch pad in their respective spots. Although i havent tried it with megaman legends, if the game uses the back touchpad this grip will help alot. I use it on borderlands 2 and it helps alot

Zankonell likes this.
  11. Zankonell

Zankonell Active Member

I literally cannot "like" your response enough. Thank you. I'm ordering mine now.

12. Zankonell

Zankonell Active Member

$37 and 2 to 3 weeks of waiting for it to get to my house, but I placed my order.

13. Zikaprevail

Awesome you got the slim vita right?

14. Zankonell

Zankonell Active Member

Yup! And I'm really excited that I do. haha

15. Renegade Bastard

Damn! I'm still waiting on my grip to arrive in the mail! I want to try it out and play with it already! :(

16. Renegade Bastard

Oh I know the Switch will be substantially more powerful than Vita as well. It's just that I lost interest in the Switch once the realization set in that I have no Nintendo games library. I literally have 150+ PS Vita games (physical,digital, and classics combined) However, I don't own a single Switch video game. I kinda don't want to have to start over with my game library to be honest. Because if I did? The Nintendo Switch will end up costing me a couple or more thousand dollars over my lifetime ownership of the console. I literally have over $2000.00+ USD invested into the PS Vita / PS TV ecosystem already to date as-is.

17. Zikaprevail

so youre going to be stuck with vita only? everytime new systems come out you get news games that how it works. you cant have its games before they come out. Whats wrong with owning both systems? switch will have a big differnce in games that we wont have on vita.

18. Renegade Bastard

I'm also balls deep in on Xbox 360, Xbox One, iOS, PC, PS4, PSP, AND PS Vita. That is more than enough for me. My backlog is shameful. I will be long dead before I even get around to playing and beating even half of the hundreds of games I have waiting on me. So yeah, I have no desire for the Nintendo Switch. Im embarrassed to say how much money I have total invested in ALL my gaming hobby. Somewhere around the price of a brand new car I would imagine...

19. Zikaprevail

No reason not to buy more but i guess seeing as how you not gonna buy the new stuff you shoul be able to get games for those old systems alot cheaper.

20. Renegade Bastard

No doubt. Honestly... If not a single new video game ever launched from this day forward? I wouldn't care.. Like I said, I literally have a list of a few hundred or more games I've been wanting to play and beat! My backlog extends all the way back to the PS One. Oh, and a couple dozen NES titles as well! LOL. Even if I played and beat a game to my satisfaction at a rate of 1 to 2 games per month? (Which seems to be my current average) I'll be long dead of old age before I ever play all the games I've wanted to play. I'm already in my 30's now, so it's not like I have all the time in the world left. What can I say? I'm only human. It is what it is. That's why I've decided to make 8th generation my final video game console generation. PS4 / Vita is my cut-off. I'll continue buying new games for them, but I don't plan on buying into Nintendo Switch, PS5, etc.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  21. Archbreaker

Archbreaker Member

Mine just came in the mail two days ago. Since then I've spent some time trying a bunch of games out, and I'm really enjoying it so far. The grip feels very smooth and comfortable. You can really feel the difference with grip on. My fingers feel even better with grip on, because it really does feel like I'm holding a controller. It's made remote play a lot easier as well Vita games. I've recently started playing Sly Cooper, and it's been a blast to play with the grip.

I've played Black Ops 3, Assassin's Creed Syndicate, Dynasty Warriors 8, and Sleeping Dogs with the grip so far. Black Ops3 was the only one that felt harder to play, but it is an FPS after all. Still, it's improvement. I went from getting no kills before grip to 5 kills in the first match that I jumped into with the new grip.

This is my first Vita grip attachment btw. I've watched reviews of previous grip, and this one certainly sounded the best and it delivers. It's easy to put in and take out my Vita without causing any scratches, and it feels very secure after the lock on top has been set. I am definitely satisfied with the purchase, especially since its price is much lower than the previous popular L2/R2 grip.

Zankonell and Renegade Bastard like this.
  22. Renegade Bastard

Lucky! I'm still waiting on my grip to arrive! I can't wait to test it out already...

23. Zankonell

Zankonell Active Member

These responses of the Hori grip being a good product make me really excited. I'll be sure to post my experience as well when mine finally arrives.

24. Renegade Bastard

I received my Hori Remote Play Assist Attachment grip finally! Now to begin testing how well it works for gaming!

First impressions are quite impressive to be honest. The grip's build quality, button layout / function, ease of attach and removal, as well as comfort level is great!

I'll get into more in-depth games testing on my days off work and really see what this grip can do. So far, upon initial impressions of my light gaming tests? I'm very pleased. :D

Zankonell likes this.
  25. Despair

Despair Member