Hori L2/R2 + L3/R3 Assist Attachment Remote Play grip for PS Vita Slim

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by Renegade Bastard, Nov 1, 2016.

1. BlaBlaBla

BlaBlaBla Member

Hmm....might get me one of these as well (Original Vita).....but although it says shipped in 24 hours, the description says it will be available again in March?? Guessing an error...

2. Digit

Digit Well-Known Member

I checked, and this just returned to playasia for 24 dollars.

3. Zankonell

Zankonell Active Member

My Hori attachment is still in the mail with no tracking number. I'm growing insanely impatient. I reinstalled Boarderlands 2 just to play it with it the new grip and it's just taunting me as I wait. I ave not picked up my vita in days from shear disappointment of not having it.

Renegade Bastard should give me an update on how he is liking his to rebuild the hype for me.

4. Renegade Bastard

Renegade Bastard Well-Known Member

Hori Remote Play Assist Attachment for PS Vita Slim Review.

Pros:
    -Cost: The Remote Play Assist Attachment grip retails for approximately $25 USD. A very affordable way to "upgrade" your PS Vita and give the handheld a DS4 controller like feel.

-Build Quality: The Attachment is built out of plastic that closely resembles the quality of a DualShock 4 controller. There is no texture on the grip handles as they are smooth like a DS4 controller. The Attachment does not feel cheap and flimsy as well as does not creak or flex while gaming on the Vita. The Attachment only comes in black color, which tends to match just about any colored PS Vita handheld system you may own. The physical buttons are a grey color and have just the right amount of play in them, not too stiff and not too loose. The buttons do not feel mushy or clicky. They have a similar feel to a cross between a DS3 and DS4 PlayStation controller. Buttons do not stick when pressed and released, so you don't have to worry about phantom rear touch panel responses while playing your game.

Ease of Use: This particular accessory for your Vita is very easy to attach and remove without having to risk breaking any tabs or scratching up your handheld in the process. The Vita slides into place from a top to bottom installation and then the Vita is secured in place by a lever that clamps down on top of the handheld. This lever doesn't obstruct any buttons or indicator lights on top of the handheld, however game cards are inaccessible for insertion or removal while the Vita is installed into the Attachment. Neither the Micro USB data / charging port or the 3.5mm headphone jack are obstructed while the Vita is installed into the Attachment. Both ports are fully accessible. Removal of the Assist Attachment is just as easy as equipping it. 3 to 5 seconds total time to equip or remove. All the pressure points the Vita handheld rests on while installed in the Attachment grip are neoprene contact pads to protect the handheld from scratching or slipping around inside the grip. The Vita is held firmly in place and doesn't move around when inside the Attachment.

Function: This Attachment adds four more physical buttons to your PS Vita Slim! You are given physical L2 / R2 buttons directly below the physical L1 / R1 buttons that come factory installed on the PS Vita handheld. You are also given physical L3 / R3 triggers in the center bottom of the Remote Play Assist Attachment. When pressed and activated, the buttons use a mechanical solution inside the Attachment to press conductive capacitive rubber like pads against the rear touch panel of the PS Vita Slim to mimic 1:1 a finger press. The buttons are laid out where the top left corner and the bottom left corner of the touch panel are L2 / L3 respectively as well as the top right corner and the bottom right corner of the touch panel are R2 / R3 respectively. Games that take advantage of this particular control layout are best played with this Attachment installed!

Cons:
    -Games Compatibility: Not all games that play on PS Vita locally or streamed remotely via Remote Play or PS Now subscription service take full advantage of this controller grip solution. Many games, including but not limited to PS4 games that are remote played, do not allow for custom button mapping and instead use a forced control scheme that may disable the rear touch panel in favor of using the front touch screen of the PS Vita for control input methods.

-Import Product: The only way to purchase this accessory for your PS Vita Slim is to import the product from Japan. This grip is not sold in stores here in the United States.

Other Thoughts:
    This Remote Play Assist Attachment Grip is a near flawless design by Hori, a well respected video game console and handheld accessory manufacture in the industry. The grip allows for better control over gaming, even if you aren't taking advantage of the extra buttons that are given, simply by giving the PS Vita Slim system more girth and making the system easier to hold by people with larger hands like myself. (I'm 6'4 and have a 2XL glove size) The Attachment grip weight plus the weight of the PS Vita Slim handheld, both combined weigh in roughly the same weight of an original OLED model PS Vita, so the overall weight is non issue for long portable gaming sessions. The grip allows for use of additional buttons on most games that can be played on the Vita, including PS One classics. However, keep in mind that any game requiring you to drag your finger around on the rear touch panel for control input will not be playable while this Attachment grip is equipped onto your system. Just simply remove the grip to play said game, then reattach the grip when you want to play a different game.

Overall Review Score: 9.0

*This Review was not sponsored by Hori, nor was a Remote Play Assist Attachment Grip provided for my evaluation and review. All costs incurred were paid for by myself out of my own pocket.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    sean and zodaex like this.
  5. Renegade Bastard

Anyone else decide to pick up this Attachment for their Vita Slim? If so, what are your thoughts on the Attachment?

6. Simmi

Simmi Otome Enthusiast

So is it really good for people with big hands? My boyfriend is having troubles playing on my vita, says its too small for his manly hands :D will this help him? :eek:

7. Renegade Bastard

Absolutely! I'm 6'4 and have a 2XL glove size for my hands! My fingers are long! The grip really helps for people with large hands. I can fully recommend it! Swing by Play-Asia and order it ASAP! The product link is in the beginning of this thread as my main post. :)

8. Simmi

Simmi Otome Enthusiast

Thank you! That's awesome then! He couldn't play anything, he was too scared of crushing the thing in his hands xD, plus it wasn't really comfortable for him :p Anyway, it's great if they make accessories like these :)

Renegade Bastard likes this.
  9. Zankonell

Zankonell Active Member

I finally received my Hori grip! I've spent the last 4 days trying it out on a couple different games and I must say, It's great! I can fluently play Megaman Legends 2 which I wasn't able to before. I bought a PS4 within the last week and it's fantastic for remote play. I've played hours of SMITE remotely on my couch with ease. It felt a little odd at first putting a grip on my Vita, but I've quickly grown accustomed to it.

Simmi and Renegade Bastard like this.
  10. Renegade Bastard

Badass! Same on my end. At first the grip did feel strange, but now? I don't like playing my Vita naked without it! LOL

Zankonell likes this.
  11. Renegade Bastard

Anyone else pick up this grip as of recent? What are your thoughts on the grip if so?

12. Digit

Digit Well-Known Member

Well mine just shipped from Play-Asia for the low, low cost of 25 US dollars.

Now to wait.

13. Renegade Bastard

Badass! I hope you receive your grip soon! I know you are going to love it. It has been my most favorite accessory for Vita by far!

Let me know what you think about your grip once you receive it and have a chance to test it out, bud. :)

14. Digit

Digit Well-Known Member

Holy crap, that is a beautiful attachment. Makes life easier for playing Warriors Orochi 3 and such.
    And I was expecting complicated fiddling of attachments, not a 'slide it in, snap the attachment part over it' one-snap ease.

15. Renegade Bastard

Oh indeed! I own two of these attachments now! I have one in use on my Vita and one brand new in box for my spare brand new in box Vita. I highly recommend this Attachment!

I'm happy to hear you like it as well. :)

16. legalalien

legalalien Member

Sold out for a while now. I have to wait for the next batch in march to try it out.

17. Renegade Bastard

Play-Asia has the grip in-stock. I just checked. :)

18. legalalien

legalalien Member

I own three OLED-Vitas. The 1000 version is sold out and will be restocked in march. ;)

19. Renegade Bastard

Oh ok! Yeah, the legacy Vita's are difficult to find accessories for in general since they've been discontinued now for some time.

20. Rothnihalias

Rothnihalias Member

Oh this seems lovely. Getting used to using those "buttons" correctly is still a hazard whenever I wiggle around, I don't know how I've managed to never royally screw something up so far. I regret that I can't afford to portion off even a small amount of my videogame budget when I've been going after sales so fervently. This gadget looks like it really makes the back touchpad so much more intuitive.

21. Digit

Digit Well-Known Member

Well it works great for games that uses L2/R2.

I haven't figured out what to do when it looks like it's using the sides of the rear instead of the four squares.

22. Renegade Bastard

Anyone else pick up this Attachment grip for their Vita Slim as of late? If so, what are your thoughts on the product?

23. kittykatofdeath

kittykatofdeath New Member

After reading this forum I decided to create an account and purchase the grip I missed my vita after selling it and I have to say I really think I will enjoy the Vita alot more if I purchased this grip.

24. Renegade Bastard

I'm happy to hear you are coming back to Vita and giving the handheld another chance! When I ordered this grip for my Vita Slim, it was a game changer for me. I rarely play my Vita without the grip attached now. I just love it that much!

There has been more and more great games releasing on the Vita as well. I find myself playing mine, especially more so now that I purchased Toukiden 2! (I mainly play my Vita at work in my downtime)

Whenever you receive and get a chance to try out your Remote Play Assist Attachment grip, be sure and post back here what you think of the grip. :)

25. Renegade Bastard

I'm still using my grip to this day! I absolutely love it.

Anyone else pick up the grip as of late that care to share their thoughts on the product?