How good is Persona 4 golden?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita Games' started by ozm8ey, Feb 18, 2016.

1. ozm8ey

ozm8ey Member

Is this the game to get for the vita? I heard its like pokemon but for adults and lots of story telling, is this true?

Terramax likes this.
  2. leafstalker

leafstalker Active Member

Its a jrpg at its core so mileage varies.
    Pro's: interesting story, large amount of game play, decent amount of character growth, moments that will bring you to fits of laughter and near tears.

Con's: Grinding, game runs on a clock so limited time, story line is predictable, due to game clock running down you can lock yourself out of or into events.

It has its ups and downs, but if you like JRPGs then you should give it a shot. However it is a time sink. It took me 80 hours to finish with minimal grinding.

3. Mariee

Mariee Member

Wow 80 hours

4. Techup

Techup Well-Known Member

Pretty sure I have 100+ hours into and and never platinumed it lol.

Also, I'd like to note that the music in this game is great. Has a wonderful soundtrack.

5. ozm8ey

ozm8ey Member

Been playing for about 8 hours so far and have found a grammar mistake lol or at least i think so

[​IMG]

6. Mariee

Mariee Member

How are you liking the game so far?

7. vita_lover

vita_lover Well-Known Member

For many, this game is WHY they own a VITA. One of the most highly rated games of all time.

8. DeVaughn

DeVaughn Member

Can confirm. This game rocked my world.

9. Magnum0ik

Magnum0ik Well-Known Member

I have had this for many months but never actually got round to properly playing. I hate backlogs!!! Lol.

10. AtheistSpaz

AtheistSpaz Active Member

Been planning to pick it up myself. Just saw it for $10 on the ps store. Downloading now.

11. Hero

Hero Shining Light

It's a really great game, worth the money.

You're right, it should have been "Yukiko and I", but the game imitates how teenagers around their ages speak, so it's not really an error. It's just personality.

12. ozm8ey

ozm8ey Member

actually i thought it was supposed to say It just won't talk to me instead it says it just wont take to me

13. AtheistSpaz

AtheistSpaz Active Member

They're saying it won't take to them as in the sense an animal won't take to a trainer.

Hero likes this.
  14. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Well-Known Member

Must own as a Vita owner if you are a RPG fan. Great gameplay, story, characters and music!

15. CoolYon

CoolYon Member

I'm working on the plat of the game, and I'm at 126 hours, half way through my second play through.
    Amazing game to say the least. Watch some gameplay on YouTube, see if it looks like your style. I think it is one of the absolutely must own vita games, personally.

16. alf

alf Active Member

Refreshing the thread!!!

Since Persona 4 Golden is considered a PS Vita system-seller of some kind, i just wanted to share some of my thoughts about this.
    To put it simply: in my opinion this game is overhyped. It's good, but not perfect.

Well i put 96 hours into this game. There was a time when the game got boring (about 75% progress), but after some plot twists i have regained an energy to finally finisht it.

For me the overall plot was... just decent. I think this game is more about the characters (social links) and the plot plays a second role here. It was fun experience, i got closer to the characters, there was a great soundtrack present, nice graphics (well it's still a playstation2 game engine but it's fine for me). However i have a feeling that the game is a bit overhyped - it's like i played it and finished it because i knew that this is a must-have for ps vita and everyone keep tellling that this is one of the best games ever for this system.

I would give this game a 5-/6 rating. The downsides are: repetitive day-night life system which gets boring after some time, and also long gaps between key story points/twists.

Well, Persona 4 Golden was released on 2012, so at that time it was the only jRPG in Vita library, that's why it was claimed the best RPG for Vita. It simply had no competitors. But now we live in 2018 and everything has changed. The Vita library got massive jRPG update so Persona 4 Golden is no longer a king for me.

If i would recommend another pretenders to a title of the best jRPG for Vita, i would say:
    1. Tales of Hearts R - PS Vita exclusive (well it's a remake of DS game, but the graphics engine has been totally reworked for Vita and looks even better than Persona 4 Golden). This game has a big, diverse and colorful world. Let's add a great cast of characters to this and an interesting story which sets you on a fantastic journey and we've got the best jRPG for Vita.
    2. Utawarerumono (Mask of Deception & Mask of Truth) - it's more like a visual novel & sRPG hybrid. The story is what makes this game the greatest of all, and the strategy turn-based battle system is engaging and fun. Defnitely one of the best game for Vita.
    3. Trails of Cold Steel (1 & 2) - I haven't played it yet, but from the positive reviews & my colleagues opinions i take a blind shoot and say: this is worth trying!
    4. Ys (Memories of Celceta & Lacrimosa of Dana) - if you prefer action jRPG over turn-based ones, these games will keep you entertained for sure. While the story of Memories of Celceta is good / decent, Lacrimosa of Dana is near to perfect and more polished. Definitely recommended for every PS Vita player.
    5. Disgaea (3 & 4) - both are great games, but Disgaea 4 is definitely more polished and contains upgraded graphics. Recommended for everyone who loves sRPGs.

Terramax and zodaex like this.
  17. Ghost of Arcadia

Ghost of Arcadia Well-Known Member

This game is so good and addictive that you'll forget about your real life LOL. Played it for two months on two playthroughs and got the platinum for it. About over 140 hours I put in the game. And this is coming from someone that isn't much of a fan of JRPG's. I barely have RPG's in my library. A few that I have and love are games like Skies of Arcadia, FF7, Radiant Historia, Jeanne D'Arc (Tactical RPG), etc.

Persona 4 Golden was different and wasn't intimidating to play and was a welcoming type of JRPG. Was easy to pick up and play and learn the things you have to do. While there's a lot of things to do like jobs, side missions, social links, collecting Personas, etc., it might feel overwhelming at first but very manageable as long as you wisely balance out the calendar year for the things you have to do. I recommend playing your first playthrough for fun and for the excellent story and your second playthrough with a guide to get the platinum and the rest of the trophies if you care about trophies. The artwork, addictive battles, story, music, is all top notch. Plus there are different difficulty settings to choose from which is welcoming for beginners.

18. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

I agree with everything Alf said.

• Story and characters are engaging but flawed. So many important questions remain unexplained by the end (or not clearly enough for me). What is Teddy? Why did he exist? How was he able to just go to school, without questions, or how was he able to stay at another friend's house for a few weeks without the parents asking questions as to who he is, where his parents are (contact details in case of emergency), etc? Actions of some of the adults throughout were questionable too.
    • The whole persona mixing mechanic was so hidiously explained that I just kept the same persona's throughout the whole game and still beat it on normal mode, meaning it didn't need existing in the first place.
    • Plot and day / time cycle is built in such a way that, if you beat dungeons too early, you end up just repeatedly going to school and the same, boring cutscenes again and again until the story kicks in 30 min to an hour later. BORING!
    • Relationship building with some characters, especially the girls, are underwhelming.

Having said that, the music is incredible, the colourful dungeons are far more interesting than your average JRPG, the battle system is clear and fun to play, the story is, overall, worth playing to the end, and I found the voice acting, though a bit too American at times, to be well enough done. It's worth getting. Just don't set your standards too high.

I think Persona 4 is a really good game, but it's hype says more about the state of JRPGs as a whole this last 15 or so years; the genre has stagnated and, let's all be honest, most of them are forgettably mediocre.

[Going off on a tangent here]

With the same cookie cut characters, plots, cliches and grindy gameplay througout 95% of them, it's little wonder that even a re-release of a PS2 game that does something a little different is celebrated for breaking the mold. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong if you like these kinds of games, of course. There's just not enough innovation going around, and the genre is saturated to hell. The fact that there is even a studio named '[Tokyo] RPG Factory' just confirms further that these games are just churned out with little soul or purpose than to milk genre obsessives.

Even if you play some PS1 / Dreamcast JRPGs now, such as FF7,8, FF Tactics, Vagrant Story, Grandia, PSO, Pokmone Blue/Red, Koudelka, etc, they feel more innovative and enjoyable than just about anything coming out in today's market (though well aware there was a lot of mediocre crap during that era too).