Hulu Plus, Red Box Instant, More coming to PS Vita in March

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by Trent, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Trent

Trent Owner, PS Vita Reviews

PSN ID:
    L2K7
    We were just talking about some apps that we'd like to see hitting the PlayStation Vita. Well, I know I was specifically mentioning streaming services like Hulu Plus. Psychic? Maybe not, but coincidentally, we're getting a whole slew of new apps for the Vita both today and in one week from today, including Hulu Plus and Redbox Instant. The apps are as follows:

-March 18, 2014-
    Crunchyroll
    NHL GameCenter LIVE
    Quello (I believe this is already on the North America Store)

-March 25, 2014-
    Gaiam TV
    Hulu Plus
    RedBox Instant by Verizon

That's a bunch of new apps that I am excited about. Well, I'm mostly excited about Hulu Plus and RedBox Instant than anything else. But, regardless, these are all big deals for the Vita. It's had Netflix for a long time and it's about time more streaming services came to the portable system.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014...-hulu-plus-redbox-instant-crunchyroll-more-2/

2. Kyle

Kyle Just Some Guy Staff Member

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    If Crunchyroll allows unpaid viewing, I'm down - otherwise, don't give a rat's ass. lol

3. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

It does. You don't even need an account to watch most of it; the newer stuff is what requires a subscription. You'll be limited to lower resolutions, and you'll only be able to use it over wifi (no 3G/4G) without paying though. There's also ads that interrupt twice per show or so. I don't use it much, so I haven't bothered with the subscription.

Kyle likes this.
  4. CharZarz

CharZarz Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    FruitOnline
    God dammit it bobby, lol naw I wanted to post abou this. I asked Yuuki if I could first because this was already posted oh The Vita Lounge main site. Hulu Plus is coming to the PSVita XD

5. plpalo

plpalo Active Member

PSN ID:
    plpalo
    I got excited about the NHL app but then I realized this is all NA and there's no way to cheat the Vita into downloading something from a different region so I'm not excited anymore ;)

6. Brian Sharon

Brian Sharon Well-Known Member

Don't worry, you can live through me and my joy in the NHL Gamecenter app!

7. Takao

Takao Well-Known Member

The app requires membership.

8. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

Ah my bad, I've only ever used it in my internet browser on my PC.

9. hunterslasher13

hunterslasher13 Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    hunterslasher27
    I love watching Crunchyroll on my vita so great, I think I will use my vita even more now.

10. Trent

PSN ID:
    L2K7
    Indeed. There are some Free Samples that you can watch without one. But, those are mostly just the first episode of select anime, like Attack on Titan and Naruto Shippuden.

I think it's definitely worth it if you're an anime fan. Their selection is pretty good and the app runs really well.

11. hunterslasher13

hunterslasher13 Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    hunterslasher27
    Sometimes I forget about that part I have been a premium member for some time, still a very awesome app to have.

12. CharZarz

PSN ID:
    FruitOnline
    By the way Hulu Plus is one of the best looking apps on the PSVita, no lies.

13. Trent

PSN ID:
    L2K7
    It looks good, yes, though I am not too impressed with how the interface runs. I've used it for a few days and, while the interface pretty much looks just like the interface does on the PS3 version of the app, and it searches and whatnot in the same way, I am finding a fair amount of lag when trying to go through the options (that I didn't experience when I ran it on PS3), and it takes a good bit of time longer to bring up the search bar.

When I first used it, I couldn't find the Search area at all until a minute or two later when that section finally loaded in the top-right corner.

14. CharZarz

PSN ID:
    FruitOnline
    Yeh I know right! I compared it to my old Ipad2, and the I pad 2 ver of hulu is faster!

15. Trent

PSN ID:
    L2K7
    Indeed. I think that's a big thing with Vita apps that makes it hard. PS Mobile aside, the apps have to compete with other apps on other systems, like iOS and whatnot, and that's not easy to do. There are apps that work really well, like Mail, Calendar, and LiveTweet, but some of the more data-heavy apps like Netflix and Hulu Plus have been having problems recently, particularly with load times. Between iOS, Windows 8, PS3, and PS Vita that I've tried, the PS Vita versions of the two I just mentioned take the longest to load.

Surprisingly, the streaming runs really well on the app. It's just something about the interfaces that makes the loading long and not run as well. Hopefully they can all patch these apps to bring them up to that level. I love Netflix and use it on my Vita a lot, but it definitely doesn't work as well as it does on the PS3.