Hyperdimension Series

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita Games' started by SunnyWindy, Feb 24, 2016.

1. SunnyWindy

SunnyWindy Well-Known Member

I really love cutie games, colourful ones too.

I checked a couple of gameplay videos and fell in love with Rebirth1 so far. However, I'm not too much into fan service.

For instance, I don't really like the costume breaking sequences in the action game. Can you tell me if Rebirth 1 is like that as well? Or if the series over all is good enough to not let this turn me down from it?

The upcoming MegaTagmension seems super sweet too.

2. comeoutpunching

comeoutpunching Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about rebirth1 but I am 99% sure you can turn the costume breakage off in Action U in the settings. (That or each costume has an unbreakable version for this purpose.)

SunnyWindy likes this.
  3. SunnyWindy

That's great to know as the game looked pretty interesting to me, that being the major let down on my side!

comeoutpunching likes this.
  4. Stefarno

Stefarno Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure MegaTagmension has got rid of costume break entirely.

All the games have fan-service, but it's relatively tame stuff - mostly CGs with boobies partially hidden and a bit of jiggle. Definitely not on the level of other fan-service games like Senran Kagura or Dungeon Travelers 2.

Rebirth 1 is the worst of the trilogy - if you get turned off by anything it'll probably be the grinding and back-to-back boss battles rather than fan-service...

5. SunnyWindy

I watched a little Lets Play Rebirth 1 and I fell in love with her little noise when she jumps haha.

I really like the narrative at the beginning and the Console war stuff, it made me giggle a bit? I don't mind grinding, but is it necessary to the main story or it's for post game stuff? Is there a post game mode anyway?

6. Stefarno

I don't really think there is much post-game stuff in the first one (there have been a lot of Neptunia games since then!) - I just found difficulty spikes every now and again. You can use the remake system to make everything easier if you find the grinding to be too much though.

SunnyWindy likes this.
  7. SunnyWindy

Thank you for your input!

I'll start with Rebirth 1 anyway, the story seems appealing to me :)

8. SunnyWindy

Well I couldn't resist and end up getting Rebirth 1 anyway. There are some uncomfortable shots for me, but the story and humour make it up easily for it, I still enjoy it and I laugh so hard!

9. FieryReign

FieryReign Member

What is fan service and what would make someone feel uncomfortable? It looks like cutesy anime fluff?

10. SunnyWindy

Panty shots, half naked characters and overly giggly boobs. It's what I've seen so far.

11. FieryReign

FieryReign Member

As opposed to any other anime? All that japanese anime shit is pervy and pedo. While being so fluffy kiddie cute, makes me wonder who the intended audience is?

12. SunnyWindy

I don't really know what you're talking about. Not all anime stuff are pervy you know.

The game is still pretty enjoyable, enough for me to not mind to uncomfortable stuff and focus on the humour and all.

Zero Eternity and DankZaku like this.
  13. SunnyWindy

Hey, not sure if I'm asking at the right place or if I should bump the official Rebirth 1 topic but I have a question.

I see that I have some more characters in my party, but it seems I can only have 3 party members. How can I switch them? Let's say that I'd like to have Peashy instead of Compa in my party? I played around in the Party menu and I didn't find how to do that, and I feel quite dumb now.

Edit: Never mind, I found it!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  14. SunnyWindy

Well, I have Action U in hands and can't find any option like that in the settings =/

I'll check if I can have some undestructibles costumes ;___;

15. Stefarno

You can definitely unlock indestructible costumes:

[​IMG]

16. SunnyWindy

Yes I got one this morning for Famitsu and for Nepgear. I'll try to get the other ones as well!

17. Akros

Akros Well-Known Member

You actually get them when the girls reach lvl 14 or so and in lvl 20 you get other ones with the opposite effect (they break too easily).
    I'm playing the game right now too

SunnyWindy likes this.
  18. RoboAddy

RoboAddy Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    RoboAddy
    I'm hoping they announced Nep Vs SeHa for localisation soon!

19. Mamono Man

Mamono Man Active Member

I like the games but honestly without any males at all it just seems too hard to get immersed. I love Fairy Fencer F because Fang was in it. Fang was awesome. So I know CH can make awesome male characters. I also the loved Tiara and Eryn duo.

Yeah, I love having cute girls in the game, but we ain't never going to get some interesting dialogue about how the girls react to men in the Hyperdimension Neptunia series. But now they HDN has solidified itself as an all-girl game I don't see any hope. They got slammed for Black Heart game, so yea.

I have bought 4 of the games and I always, for some reason, almost wind up getting bored after Green Heart's chapter. I did manage to get to the final boss in Hyperdimension Neptunia 2 (original). The boss was ridiculously strong though and I didn't feel like grinding. Spamming circle and special moves just got kind of old for me.

I can appreciate some of the characters and great humor in the game no doubt, but the games just seem to be copy/pasting themselves with the same boring intro and plot route (Purple>Black>White>Green>Elite Enemy gang). It's frustrating as heck to repeatedly have goddesses booted off my team and force me to use characters like IF, who I am so tired of already.

When RB3 started off with the EXACT intro of all the goddesses like we have never even seen them before, I just wanted my money back! It felt like a bad Pokémon movie intro. Then in RB3 I get this annoying sadist Plutia who I just want to boot off my team because she is just so mean to the others.

After I get the team together it's better though, but the early slog in the games really can kill my fun. I like about half of the characters but some are just rage inducing. So I have a love/hate relationship with the series. I heard MEGA was a decent change, so I may eventually try it out again.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  20. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

I find the series amusing but only in small doses. Some of the humour is clever, some of it isn't, and the gameplay is just good enough to keep me interested for about as long as they take to beat. The main entries I think need to change up the formula a bit, since their turn-based system really doesn't make use of its positioning aspect at all - compared to something like say, Valkyrie Profile 2. It becomes a game of fitting as many enemies as you can inside the corners of a polyhedron, rather than one of strategy. I dunno, maybe I'm missing the point and the games are more meant for people who focus on a different aspect as the core appeal - story, characters, moe or what have you. They all get very repetitive, even the spin-offs - if they could improve on that (or make the actions you repeat more engaging) I could see myself playing more entries in the series. As it stands though, I won't lose any sleep over skipping one of them here and there.