If You Could Have Any Mobile App on the Vita?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by Trent, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Trent

Trent Owner, PS Vita Reviews

PSN ID:
    L2K7
    The Vita's interface is clearly and heavily inspired from the interfaces of Mobile operating systems like iOS. Even with that, there are also many apps being developed for the Vita. Outside of PS Mobile, we have YouTube, Crackle, Mail, LiveTweet, Facebook, Netflix, Flickr, and more. Apps keep coming out, but the Vita still doesn't have that many. Not anything like Mobile does. I suppose there's good reason for that, but let's look at what may happen with more apps.

Apps are a big deal because they help the system be more than just a gaming system. What's the point of apps? Let's say you wanna check the weather or your email, but you're gaming? Just minimize the game and check the app. That could keep you from having to have both a Computer and a Vita in front of you at once. It adds to the convenience, especially being portable.

Let's say someone came to you and let you pick any App or Service (Not games) and you could have it developed for the Vita. If you could pick absolutely any currently-existing app, what would it be? IGN? Amazon? OK Cupid? GameStop PowerUp Rewards? The Weather Channel?

2. Kyle

Kyle Just Some Guy Staff Member

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    Google Chrome for Android ported to Vita (full HTML5 support). They can keep the rest of the apps if they give me a browser that does it all.

vongruetz and akhi216 like this.
  3. Yuuki

Yuuki Loves Anime

Cross Code (HTML 5 game in delevelopment)

4. CharZarz

CharZarz Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    FruitOnline
    I think Sony just needs to update the HTML 5 for the browser, but not google chrome.

5. CharZarz

PSN ID:
    FruitOnline
    I would love to see Hulu Plus, but I also wish that the Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube app updated to there modern look today.

6. akhi216

akhi216 Well-Known Member

So much this.

7. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

I'm not really one for all encompassing devices; I don't really want to turn my Vita into my phone or vice versa by adding applications from one to the other. I would greatly appreciate a better browser as previously mentioned though, as I do like the versatility offered by having a browser at the ready whilst gaming.

However, the thing I want most to be taken from my phone and added to my Vita is Swype - the text input method that I think is specific to Android devices (I might be wrong) where you just drag your thumb/finger along the screen across the keypad, and it selects the keys where your movement path is altered. I find that it is very accurate, while typing on typical touch-screens that lack this feature is really annoying. It completely circumnavigates the issue of tactile feedback whilst selecting each individual key by turning the whole process into something where tactile feedback would actually be alien and strange. It's not an Application, but I really want it =\

8. Trent

Trent Owner, PS Vita Reviews

PSN ID:
    L2K7
    I can definitely see Hulu Plus coming, at some point. Netflix works pretty well, and we got Crackle, another similar service just a couple weeks ago. With that trend, I could definitely see Hulu Plus coming as well. I'm not sure it would be on my Top Wanted list of apps, but it would definitely be a welcome addition to the Vita App Library.

9. mellan_Konsten

mellan_Konsten Active Member

taptu, doggcatcher, chrome, pocket and baldurs gate ee ;)

edit: HBO go, netflix (in sweden), crunchyroll

10. RoboAddy

RoboAddy Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    RoboAddy
    -A podcatching app that has custom RSS and background playback
    -Whatsapp
    -Google Hangouts
    -ABC iView
    -Some equivalent of the 3DS's Activity Log

11. CharZarz

PSN ID:
    FruitOnline
    Yep

12. Bazer

Bazer Member

Tapatalk

13. CharZarz

PSN ID:
    FruitOnline
    There is no way, not trying to be mean though. The PSVita isn't suppose to be app device, its a gaming device. What you should expect is simple applications to come, Like Hulu Plus. What would most likely to come (Kinda) is big applications like Vine, Instagram, Twitch, and so on.

14. Bazer

Bazer Member

tbh I don't care about apps! only reason I said tapatalk is because I can you it on this forum ;-)

Would prefer something like a Miiverse app if you got a wii u or 3ds you know how good it is

15. CharZarz

PSN ID:
    FruitOnline
    Bazer likes this.
  16. vongruetz

vongruetz Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    vongruetz
    I want the PlayStation app on the Vita. In fact I want Sony to put most of their playstation stuff onto the Vita. Knack's Quest was a fun match three game for ios and android which could then unlock stuff in the game. Why no Vita version? It's the little things like that which I wish we could have.

17. Darkknezz

Darkknezz Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    DarkScollo
    Shadowgun deadzone, Modern Combat and any other game that supports the unity engine

18. CharZarz

PSN ID:
    FruitOnline
    Now when I think about it I would like to have Ebay.