If You Could Move One Part of the System?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by Trent, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Trent

Trent Owner, PS Vita Reviews

PSN ID:
    L2K7
    The PlayStation Vita's design looks cool to everyone, but with every system, I am sure there are inconveniences. Not only software conveniences, but also hardware ones. No system has an absolutely perfect design with features placement. There are things just about anyone would want to change or move. Some people might want the Analog Sticks movies. Some might want the cameras moved. Others might want something else move.

So, I want you to take a look at your PlayStation Vita. Think about what you experience when you play games. Is there anything you think could use better placement? Any kind of inconveniences or annoyances you think wouldn't be there if something wasn't exactly where it was?

As you think more, here is my question for you. If you could go into the design of the Vita and move anything on the system and move it somewhere else, what would it be, where would you move it, and why would you move it there?

2. Kyle

Kyle Just Some Guy Staff Member

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    The only thing I'd move on the Vita is the charging port; and I'd either move it to the top of the Vita or change the connector shape such that it wraps securely around the bottom of the console and snaps in to become seamless with the bottom edge.

My only qualm with playing the Vita is that I play it so much that half the time I'm charging while playing, and being that I like to rest my hands on my lap/chest/something I'm leaning on/the desk, it becomes impossible with a cable that juts straight out of the bottom of the console.

HonestPandaShow and xtemma like this.
  3. Trent

PSN ID:
    L2K7
    You're not the only one. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen to me as well, when I'm not wearing headphones.

I would say the charging port is the thing I would move. Holding it and playing is a little awkward while it's charging, not to mention that the cord being bent like that will make it go bad faster.

4. xtemma

xtemma Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    NA: XtemmA2 / Asian: XtemmA
    Move the Home, Select, Start buttons to more to the middle ala PSP. Front camera may be better on the upper center, but just in case you wanna quick block the camera with your right thumb for some reason (who wants to play pickaboo with me on skype?) it's already on the right place i think.

Silent Angel and Trent like this.
  5. Silent Angel

Silent Angel Active Member

I think I'd have to agree with Tef and say the charging port. The case I use for my vita closes from bottom to top so I have to leave it open whenever I charge it.

6. hunterslasher13

hunterslasher13 Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    hunterslasher27
    I wish the face buttons were bigger honestly.

7. jpelgrom

jpelgrom Member

Make the space between the D-Pad buttons bigger - it's really difficult to keep it dust free (see the dust here).

PixelKnot and Murphy like this.
  8. DuhWhitePanda

DuhWhitePanda Well-Known Member

The back tuck pad should be moved back to the drawing board and left there. The only game I've played which used it in a way that didn't suck was LBP. Even then, I feel that people over rate how well it was used. Its a useless feature, to date, and add nothing but annoyance to Vita.

9. Trent

PSN ID:
    L2K7
    For most games, I would agree. Most of the time, I find it more of a pain, like doing pull-ups in Metal Gear Solid 2 or cutting letters open in Assassin's Creed III: Liberation. I think the one game I've played where it was implemented well was in Tearaway.

10. Flying_Pig

Flying_Pig Well-Known Member

I;m want to increase the gap between the right analogue stick and X button - caused me no end of grief whilst playing WipEout 2048!

And also make the Start/Select buttons a but bigger and easier to press (I know this has been fixed on the Vita2000)

11. Murphy

Murphy Founder Staff Member

PSN ID:
    PMurphy1978
    Similar things to everyone else, the speakers and the charging cable, and I agree with the point about the D-pad.

Not sure where they could really move the speakers where they wouldn't look silly or still get obstructed in some way.

The touch pad, although remedied somewhat on the 2000 is a pain.

Tearaway and LBP are probably the only games that really use the feature well. On Most Wanted I was constantly changing the music track and although fun for a while in FIFA, you soon turn it off. stranger's Wrath was another annoying one with the feature.

12. mellan_Konsten

mellan_Konsten Active Member

...Dat OLED screen into a frame and hang it on my wall.

xtemma likes this.
  13. HonestPandaShow

HonestPandaShow @HonestPandaShow

I actually completely agree with you on this. Most of the time I am laying on the floor playing my Vita while the Lady uses the TV for the PS3 or WiiU and while charging the system it quickly starts to annoy me while playing certain games.

The only other thing I would change is never having that mystery port or at least having told everyone why it was there to begin with.

14. CharZarz

CharZarz Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    FruitOnline
    It seems the Thumb Sticks are to close.

15. ExcaliburEdge

ExcaliburEdge Active Member

I think the analog sticks need to have more range of motion. There's not enough difference between a slight tilt and all the way.

Also, I know this will never happen, but I'm not a huge fan of the back touch pad. I have a lot of accidental presses when I'm not using a grip accessory. L2 and R2 would have been better (along with L3 and R3 clickable sticks).

16. antic604

antic604 Member

Too close to what - each other?

On my end it's really just the charging port placement and select/start buttons being to difficult to press (fixed in Vita 2k, I know)