Incomplete Console Ports

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by Trent, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Trent

Trent Owner, PS Vita Reviews

PSN ID:
    L2K7
    This is going to be a semi-negative topic, which is just a Wowzers thing for me, as I try to always be optimistic and positive. But, this is something that the handheld market has experienced since Day 1 of the PSP and Nintendo DS era. Ports of Console Games that are Incomplete.

This started back in the PSP generation. There were ports on the PSP, for example, that had the console game, but were incomplete. The same with the DS. The DS version of Tomb Raider: Legend had a about half the content of the PS2 version and the gameplay drastically changed.

Or take the PSP version of Dante's Inferno. The base game was there, but they removed a lot of extra game modes as well as unlockable skills for the handheld version. A lot of this was due to size limitations. Dante's Inferno crammed in everything to the edge of a UMD's capacity.

However, is that still a justifiable thing nowadays? When we have the PS Vita, is it acceptable for a console port to not have full content availability? TT Games is a huge perpetrator of this. Let's talk about LEGO games. LEGO Lord of the Rings and LEGO Harry Potter Year 5-7. They had the content of the console version. LEGO Lord of the Rings even had the open-world system in it. However, they were missing content. Entire levels and scenes were removed for the PS Vita versions of those games.

You take a look at PSN, wondering if they just ran out of space, only to find that they were a little over 1 GB in size. That's small enough to fit on a UMD, and less than half of a PS Vita Cartridge. They ported part of the game, and then released it like it was the full game. It doesn't make the games less fun, but is that acceptable, when it is clear they had plenty of more space to put in the rest of the game?

Another example we can use is even Metal Gear Solid HD Collection. Based on how big the files were for Metal Gear Solid 2 HD and Metal Gear Solid 3 HD, they ran out of space on the cartridge. Why, then, did they not just add Peace Walker HD as a download code, much like Final Fantasy X | X-2 HD Remaster as well as The Sly Collection have done? Granted, that collection is a wealth of content, regardless, but should it be acceptable?

Granted, if they ported over something and just gave me the base game for, say, Doom 3 BFG Edition, only giving Doom, Doom 2, and Doom 3, without adding in Ressurection of Evil, I would take it and love it. But if space limitations were there, I would have thought it would have everything.

That is the big question. Is it acceptable for developers to only port over part of the game and not all of it, now that we're in the PS Vita generation?

2. Undrey

Undrey Member

I don't think it's acceptable, the reason I'm getting the PS3 version of MGSC is because it has Peace Walker and is the same price.

I wish Sony would just increase the 3.2/3.4 GB limit of the cartridges.

3. ForsakenCrown

ForsakenCrown Well-Known Member

It's not acceptable. *cough* Borderlands 2 *cough*

4. Borshay

Borshay Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    Borshay
    Borderlands 2 on Vita has the same content as BL2 on PS3 correct? Last I knew it had less co-op teammates and dlc. I don't personally count DLC, so I may be wrong there...

It's not acceptable to release a game with less content due to the cart size IMO. However I don't blame the devs or the publishers for that, it's on SCE. They made a 'semi'HD handheld but only bumped the storage size from 1.9gb to 4gb MAX. Then expect it to try and get PS3/360 ports which can be up to 7.9gb to 20+gb. And then give the device subpar wifi while making it a digital heavy platform.

5. Flying_Pig

Flying_Pig Well-Known Member

While I agree that half finished, or half-arsed ports of console games aren't acceptable, there's a massive difference between an incomplete game, and omitting some DLC or a title from a collection.

While I would have loved to play a Vita version of Peace Walker, I don't think Konami ever intended to include it and am just happy to get MGS 2/3. Equally on Borderlands - would anyone really have had an issue with Gearbox not including the Captain Scarlett and Torgue DLCs? I just hope the other 2 DLC packs get a release on the Vita!

Sometimes we just need to apprecate what we do have, rather than focus on what we don't.

6. Takao

Takao Well-Known Member

I've already discussed the Lego games, but I guess I'll do it again. These games used to push millions on handhelds, which allowed them to justify separate builds for DS, GBA and console/PSP. Sales have declined and now there's one build for consoles and the other for all handhelds. TT Fusion, not the main Travellers' Tales studio, has developed the majority of handheld Lego titles. They've had to aim at hardware as low spec as the original DS and hardware with controls as obtuse as iOS. Having to hit four vastly different platforms with the same game isn't easy. As the Vita versions probably aren't lighting up the charts, it only acts as the intermediary between the Nintendo handhelds and the end destination of iOS. They get to "pretty" (they're still ugly) the graphics up and redesign the UI/controls for a single screen device. I don't think it's a coincidence that the modern Vita Lego titles all support playing the game entirely with touch.

Size played a factor but I think it's important to note that Metal Gear Solid HD Collection doesn't exist in Japan. There were two releases; Metal Gear Solid HD Edition and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD. The former was developed by Bluepoint, while Japanese developer Genki handled the latter. PW HD and HD Edition were only bundled together in the west because SCEA has (had?) a policy where handheld/aged console ports couldn't be sold individually. I think the distinction in developers is key. Bluepoint ported MGS2/MGS3 to their internal engine for release on PS3/360. Armature, the studio that made the MGS release on Vita, is right next door to Bluepoint and has knowledge of that engine. I'm not sure they'd know Genki's tech.

When there's a cheaper reprint of the game that came out months before the Vita version and still has more content, I'd count the port as incomplete.

Imunlaukr likes this.
  7. Borshay

Borshay Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    Borshay
    id call it over priced instead of incomplete personally =)

8. DesofWar

DesofWar I'm a troll.

The Vita Borderlands 2 port has most of the endgame missing. There's simply no excuse for the port to have all those horrible performance/technical problems and a huge chunk of content cut out.

9. Karl Smith

Karl Smith #supersmith2500

PSN ID:
    supersmith2500
    When I played several games such as Flower, PixelJunk Shooter and many more games. I noticed the framerate was lowered down and I just don't know why. And what's even worse is the stuttering and Borderlands 2, The Walking Dead and Ratchet & Clank: Q-Force are the main offenders.

10. Takao

Takao Well-Known Member

Really? Vita is weaker than PS3 and PS4. It's also not exactly getting top priority when it comes to the quality of ports.

11. Karl Smith

Karl Smith #supersmith2500

PSN ID:
    supersmith2500
    Yup, when I played them on the PS4. it ran 60fps. On the Vita, the framerate dropped down.