Is the 3DS almost a legacy console?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Discussion' started by Nonscpo, Feb 18, 2016.

?

Is the 3DS almost a legacy console?

Poll closed Mar 19, 2016.
  1. Yes, the NX is on it's way and the New 3DS is as good as irrelevant!

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No, are you insane we still have soo many games on there way!

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Nonscpo

Nonscpo Well-Known Member

Id like everyones thoughts on whether or not the 3DS is on its way to becoming a legacy console. I ask this as I see myself playing less and less with my 3DS, and even when I do it's old games I should have beaten already. Also I can't think of a single gameI'm looking forward to this year on the system!

2. Colorado Rockie

Colorado Rockie Well-Known Member

The 3DS should still be going strong for at least 2-3 more years.
    When the NX launches, Nintendo will most likely dial down their support for it, but the 3DS will still be strongly supported by third parties - much like how the Vita is today.

3. comeoutpunching

comeoutpunching Well-Known Member

Yea, I think it's going to be like GBA to DS once the NX drops. Will continue to get games for a couple of years though. Fire Emblem and Bravely Second should be great but I could see other heavy hitters flagged for NX.

Around here we might be immune to 'legacy' accusations - I'll play it long after its death just like DS :)

My bold prediction? I expect NX to play 3ds games.

4. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

No way the 3DS isn't almost legacy. The 3DS is New. It says so right there on my system.

Nonscpo and H8ter2 like this.
  5. Mariee

Mariee Member

i cant remember where i read that there is rumors that the NX will be able to take cartridges.. now i would love for an all in one thing that you can use gameboy plus 3ds games.
    I do think the 3ds still have a few years specially with some upcoming releases in late 2016 like dragon quest and, sega classic and probably a lot more after May.

6. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

I'm not aware of anything on the horizon that particularly interests me after Bravely Second, but I doubt it's going to just poof out of existence just because the NX exists. We don't know, and most developers probably don't even know much about the NX yet - I doubt many of them are too keen on dropping whatever it is they're doing (that we may not know about yet) on a whim based on rumours and here-say. At the very least, I expect anything currently in development to be finished up. After that well, I guess it depends what the NX is, and if anyone decides to buy it. Nintendo may stop making 3DS games, but if the NX is compatible with it then probably not entirely (yet.)

Too many ifs and maybes floating around though, I'll stick to just waiting to see what happens. We'll get the games we get, regardless of what labels we stick on things.

7. Mariee

Mariee Member

I wonder if they will eventually stop making 3ds games and then start with the new 3ds since theres only xenoblade out. I always asked myself what was the purpose of a new console just for xenoblade

8. gamezalv

gamezalv Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a legacy console yet. I'm personally looking forward to fire emblem fates (3 games here), bravely second and dragon quest 7 and 8. Also we might see a new pokemon game as well and there's always more mario to go around. Unlike sony, nintendo supports their handhelds or console even if it's dying (which is really disappointing since I spend much more time with my vita than my 3ds. I have over 150 games for the vita but only about 20 for my 3ds).

9. Rat King 64

Rat King 64 Well-Known Member

3DS still has lots of life left in it. So far this year I have already purchased Mario and Luigi Paper Jam and both versions of Fire Emblem Fates. I am still looking forward to Bravely Second, Hyrule Warriors Legends and Dragon Quest 7 and 8. In a recent interview Nintendo stated that they have a strong slate of unannounced games coming to 3DS and they expect it to continue as one of the pillars of their business for some time yet.

Having said that, I expect that beyond this year (2016) the releases will start to slow down significantly as Nintendo shifts their internal development to focus on NX. 3DS fans will have to make do with localizations from Japan and ports of multi-platform games like Lego. In other words, it will be in the same boat as the Vita. There are still some great games coming in Japan though such as Dragon Quest XI that will probably make their way over here.

10. FieryReign

FieryReign Member

What the hell is a legacy console? The 3ds hasn't had anything interesting released on it in awhile. Just some childish drivel for the young bucks.

A shame it's relegated to kiddie fluff now. RE: Revelations and Castlevania were great, needed more games like that.

11. vita_lover

vita_lover Well-Known Member

Handheld sales just are not what they used to be. The 3DS will be supported for a few more years at least. Nintendo should be releasing the NX soon and their focus is or will be on that system.

12. eric

eric Well-Known Member

..I don't know, there are a lot of great games for the 3DS w/ more on the horizon and a completely new model coming out (2DS XL). I'd say that support is still good. ...heck, i'll take it! Its way better than what's going on in the Sony handheld world. ...
    ...and loving StreetPass, ..took a 20minute walk around downtown SanFrancisco today and have an entire line of other StreetPass members waiting in "my line" to be accepted in to the Mii world.

13. vita_lover

vita_lover Well-Known Member

"The 3ds hasn't had anything interesting released on it in awhile. Just some childish drivel for the young bucks."

Yes, I was there, after a promising start, nothing good. That's why I bought a VITA. The two systems combined gave me a solid collection of games.

14. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

Sometimes when I read YouTube comments saying that Nintendo or the 3DS and the Switch are childish I just start laughing at them.

Because Senran Kagura, Resident Evil, Metroid, Culdcept Revolt, Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter, Etrian Odyssey and so on are childish...

Answer is no.

Unfairly enough Nintendo got a kiddy image trough the years just because there are no games like CoD for it (CoD in case of the 3DS) while people forget that 3DS still has some solid support (which will end for sure somewhere next year)

It's like with most people (on youtube and forums) complaining that the Vita has no games because they are mostly indies or japanese.

In my opinion I don't care because I can have way more fun with games like Senran Kagura, Odin Sphere and Ys on the Vita like with Monster Hunter, Pokemon and Mario on the 3DS, and if I really want some "AAA" or "adult" games then for that I have a gaming rig :)

But mostly on YouTube people complain for the sake of complaining.

But is the 3DS a legacy console? No, but at the end of 2018 it will which is logical after 7+ years (by then).

15. eric

eric Well-Known Member

You couldn't be more right!

I also think the handheld gaming market would do much better if not for peoples ignorance when it comes to handheld games. 99% think that the best games are on their mobile phones. They have no idea what they are missing and probably have no idea what a true work of art a game can be, the depth of story, character development and complexity that exist in handheld games. There is so much more than Candy Crush out there! I sincerely hope that handheld gaming doesn't go away and makes a comeback at some point. I remember when Amazon killed all the brick and mortar book stores. Everyone said that Kindles and online reading was the way of the future. Remember how every magazine was becoming an eMagazine? Amazon killed all the book stores (much like smart phones killed mobile gaming). However fast forward and brick and mortar book stores are starting to pop back up. People enjoy reading traditional books (I read about 2-3 per month). I love the feel of a book in my hand. I think that everything always goes extreme, then comes back as something new and refreshing after its gone. I think there will be dedicated handhelds for a lot longer. Mobile phones are going in a direction where I don't think they'll make the need for dedicated gaming systems obsolete. ...Cameras haven't gone away either because of phones. Many people like the power of a dedicated camera that mobile phones don't offer. Anyway, that's my 2 cents on it. I think dedicated gaming systems will continue to exist for much longer. ...maybe they'll be more like "Switch" systems that connect to the TV (seamlessly -not like Sony's Vita TV).

---as a side note:
    ...my kids and their friends have PS Vita's ...they love playing a variety of games on the go and on car rides. They have iPhones, but hardly use them ...they've downloaded a ton of crappy games on them (gun simulators, fidget spinner emulators, and fart sounds). Tons of junk app's that you could hardly call games. I get that games exist on the iPhone, but most are frustrating to my kids and they constantly have to purchase coins, upgrades, etc... to progress.

zodaex likes this.
  16. eric

eric Well-Known Member

If you haven't checked it out,
    Fire Emblems Echoes is an AWESOME game. I am playing it for the 2nd time as I can not put it down. This may very well be the best game I've played on any system in at least a year or more. Loving this game.

comeoutpunching and zodaex like this.