Just How Profitable Has the Vita Been?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by Terramax, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

I doubt anyone knows the answer to this, and I doubt there are many sources to even indicate, but I don't suppose people are willing to hazard a guess as to how much profit, if any, the Vita has made after all these years?

I'm going to guess that, for the first few years, Sony lost money on the gizmo. They were investing on some high profile games i.e. Tearaway, Resistance, Uncharted, Killzone, Freedom Wars, all of which didn't pay off.

However, after ending support via exclusive 1st party titles, I like to think that they've made small chunks of change from the continuous support of 3rd party developers. This particular column, written a year ago now, still seems to ring true.

There are continuous sales for the Vita on PSN, indicating there are clearly people such as myself also dropping £5 here, £5 there on a regular basis, which must also account to a tidy amount of money.

What do you guys think?

2. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

Pfoo, I wouldn't want to drop any numbers, but I honestly can't imagine it being anywhere near as profitable as the PS4 is. So many more people have a PS4, and so many of those people also drop €5 (which is of course less than £5, but a bit more than $5. WAY more than ¥5, so that's really not even a competition anymore...) on the regular. It also doesn't have any cash-cow microtransactions, of which Sony also gets a small share (I'm sure) every time, like FIFA, Overwatch, and some of those other big games.

For the way the Vita went (for which Sony is of course largely responsible, but if we, for the sake of the argument, forget that for a second), I think Sony did a good businessmove in pulling out: it has severely limited its investments after 2 years of production, and now it's probably still picking up the crumbs (our collective *choose your currency* fivers).

It is an interesting question, which may be answerable (depending on how open Sony's financial dealings are... which probably aren't as open as this investigation requires), whether Sony made a net profit at all. Like, on the complete scale: they put in money for design for the original and the slim, there may have been planned peripherals that they have pumped money into, they may have had contracts for publication that they have paid for, but that were canceled later on (which may have cost them some), and they have pumped out a few games themselves as well.

3. JoSoap

JoSoap Well-Known Member

I cant see it made any profit at all. The resources spent on research and development of a new console or handheld these days usually depend on tens of millions of units sold in order to start turning a profit. Sony's eagerness to abandon the handheld speaks volumes on its failure to sell and was just damage control. Sure it's still selling some software but I couldn't imagine it ever recuperating its cost. Maybe if games kept selling the way they have been for the next 5 or so years, but other than that? No profit yet in my opinion.