Lack of PSVita games in the retail market is depressing

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by Karl Smith, Jan 27, 2015.

1. MageOfRevenants

MageOfRevenants Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    MageOfRevenants
    Theres tons of retail. Online would be your best bet

2. kborom

kborom Member

I've been a PC gamer for 25 years now and have seen the high street trends change regularly over that time. However the last 5 years has been one way, closure of stores selling games, reduction in number of games in places like HMV, leaving Game pretty much on it's own for games but that now focuses on its key profit areas, PS3, PS4, Xbox, new and second hand. Doesn't leave much room for PC or Vita games.

Vita games are only on line now, you have to accept that if you want to get the most out of the console, same as PC through Steam and one or two others.

I do miss browsing Game and HMV and others for game selection and pricing, and walking out a store with a physical copy is a great feeling, but it's increasingly in the past now.

3. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

Retail stores are finding it difficult to stock and market video games in general over the last 10 years I'd say. I remember when even the local WHSmith would have a sizeable video games section with all the latest releases. Now, I don't even think they stock video games at all.

I've been a gamer for a similar amount of time and have seen the same pattern. It's not surprising though, online retailers are hugely benefiting by having aggressively cheaper prices and digital stores like Steam for PC and the PSN Store for Vita games also make a difference. There are other options to buy games, not just retail stores, and that's made a huge change in consumer behaviour.

4. strippedpixel

strippedpixel Member

Unfortunately this is what is putting me off buying from brick and mortar more than the prices or lack of games that I want. The GAME stores local to me are all tiny and cramped, get 10 people in them and moving about is a pain. Aisles are about 1 person wide and demo pods are stuffed in them meaning that when kids come in to play the PS4/Xbox demos they completely block 2 of the 3 aisles. The Vita games are stuffed on 2 small shelves next to the PS4 demo unit meaning that it is very rare that you can get to them.

5. b0h3mian

b0h3mian Well-Known Member

I always remember my brother calling me on the phone: "Shall I get Final Fantasy VI (III) or Chrono Trigger?"

I replied: "Chrono Trigger" and we were hooked. (we did get FFVI later though :) )

ReDiR and agentyork like this.
  6. Hana

Hana Well-Known Member

Because people say they'll "buy 10", but never do. People wanted Freedom Wars, then look what happened. It didn't sell so hot, and now it makes Sony and others reconsider big time.

7. Kasjer

Kasjer Member

To be honest, being late to console-gaming party, and having played solely on PC for most of my gaming years, I do not quite understand "physical copy fetish". Yes, I've used to buy boxed editions of games for my PC too, before digital distribution was still in infancy. But it was always full install option for me, CD/DVDs returned to the box after (with rare exceptions of games that required disk in drive for authentication) and then, to a closet. Since Steam took off, most of my purhases were puerly digital or boxed copies that came on disk, but also with download code - honestly I don't even know where I have my original Half-Life Anthology and Orange Box DVDs. 99% of games I own on PS3 are digital - but I usually don't rush to the shop right after a release, just wait abit when it gets cheaper on PSN. I own ONE physical copy of a game for Vita - and currently I have around 25 titles on my download list (excluding PS+ ones, of course).

I know people fear that they are in danger of losing their games if digital distribution channel will be closed - but my experiences with digital purchases (ten years of it!) were always positive. Juggling disks or cards sounds like medieval times to me (that's a part of reason why I can't be bothered to get 3DS), and not having stack of plastic boxes is imo a good thing. Nowadays only collector's edition boxes are worth to display on a shelf anyway, it was different 20 years ago - I still remember that gorgeous arttworks on large carboard boxes of Space Hulk and Ishar games I used to have for my Amiga. I do not resale my games because I like to return to them from time to time. For example, replaying Fallout 2 once or twice a year became a tradition for me. From my point of view, retail distribution can completely disappear tommorow and I won't miss it a bit.

Eldritch likes this.
  8. PvtPlatypus

PvtPlatypus Active Member

As far as pc gaming goes, I agree. However for consoles and handhelds I prefer physical. It just feels satisfying to me when having a physical product. But I can understand why not everyone would see it the same way.

9. MikeRox

MikeRox Well-Known Member

Unlike PC, each generation the infrastructure changes slightly. So while with steam, all those games you bought 5+ years ago will still be on your steam list when you upgrade your rig to play the newer releases, all those digital purchases on PS3, don't carry over onto your PS4, so you need 2 boxes, or you cut your losses.

Also you have the same if you switch manufacturers. Digital console games aren't transferable in the way that PC games are. I've actually got around 200 games on steam, have no problem with them at all, I can get them on my laptop or my main PC. If I go around to a mates, I can get the games there too. No such luck on the consoles, hell I had a PS3 pack in with about £60 worth of Sing Star content, my replacement wouldn't allow me to re-download the songs as the license was only for the broken console despite being the same PSN account.

10. Kasjer

Kasjer Member

Of course I know all that, but I never expected it to be different regarding closed, rather exotic design platforms. As consoles aren't functionally backward compatible nowadays (apart from Wii U that is able to play Wii and GCN games, though later only using hack), to play physical copies of games you still need two boxes, so it's no different in that case. Going mostly for physical releases is in my opinion only good for people who ditch previous hardware after they get next-gen one, so they can sell their games alongside old console to make some cash. In reality, the amount of money in that scenario is not enough to get rid of my whole games collection that I won't be able to play on new hardware.

So I won't sell my Vita/PS3 and if they break someday I'll just get refubrished units for cheap. But anyway, seeing general direction of gaming industry and advancements in hardware, I expect this problem to wanish in next ten years at maximum. We will probably see an end to propertiary boxes and what will be left are services like PSN and Xbox Live, that will work on multiple range of devices. Exclusive games will still be made to justify existence of those, they'll just be exlusive to a service provider, not a physical box. Streaming tech will take part too, but I expect software emulation of PS3 and Xbox 360 architectures won't be a problem then.

Too bad about SingStar songs. I'm not in to that type of games (even though I really like to sing!) so I was never aware of licensing issues with DLC packs. But generally speaking, Sony is not very pro-customer when it comes to audio albums and movie licensing, so it should be expected. That's why people use iTunes or services like Spotify and Wimp, because they give acces to content across multiple devices.

11. MikeRox

However, the big difference is, when you up from a PS3 onto a PS4 with your physical games, you can trade them in giving you some return on what you laid out. With digital console games you can't do this. I'm just trying to state why there is a bigger resistance to digital on consoles than you get on PC.

I've had steam since it was an updating mechanism for Half Life 2. Anything I've ever purchased on it, is still available for me to access. I long lost my Xbox 360 XBLA content following a 4th RROD. My PS3 is now pretty much packed away, I only keep it for Rock Band as I have over 300 tracks on that. Wii Ware all lost when I sold the console on.

My Steam stuff however, perfectly accessible and ready to download whenever.

I'm not too worried with Vita for digital, as I don't see Sony releasing a successor, and I don't ever plan getting rid of it. However for the home consoles etc I'm not as keen at the moment, though I agree, once the providers become distribution platforms rather than completely closed systems it'll get a lot better (and I'll consequently be more keen paying more than £10 or so on a digital only title).

12. mafia97

mafia97 Member

Well PS VITA is non existent here in India. Even some games are not brought to Indian PSN.

13. Kasjer

Kasjer Member

As I wrote before, I see no reason to do such thing. New consoles do not come out every year, PS4 and Xbox One generation is cheap compared to previous one, it's not mandatory to buy these at launch (especially when there is drought of games) it's easy to plan ahead and save money for new toys. That little profit I can make on old hardware and games is not high enough for me to do such thing, because it means I must get rid of my games library. In reality I wouldn't gain enough money out of it to be significant to my budget in longer run. Ability to have an option to play my games in the future greatly outweights profit I'll make on selling them, simply. If I would indeed sold my PS3 along with (potential) physical games collection to get funds for new console, I would probably end up with only Killzone Shadowfall and Resogun or just Titanfall for months after release... as these games were only that really interested me in first year of new gen. Selling old console when new come out is imo an option only for people who do not care about their games library that much and do not replay their favourites or have VERY tight budget and are desperate to get new hardware for some reason. I'm not in any of those groups so possibility of reselling/trading physical copies is not really appealing. I'd rather keep my PS3 and games tied to my account.

Why have you lost XBLA content? I know people who had many consoles with RROD and something like that never happened to them. As for Wii and Wii U (and DS/3DS) - Nintendo still lives in a land of dinosaurs. The fact they tie games to specific console, not an account is idiotic and transfer procedure overly complicated.

14. PSVITAGAMINGUNITE

PSVITAGAMINGUNITE Member

Here in Sweden we have a quite nice selection of Vita games to choose from. But sadly the library hasn't been updated. I was surprised when I asked the store clerks if they will get Freedom Wars in stock but none of them actually heard of the game before.

I just buy my games online, you can find a better library online with some nice collector editions too!

15. shadowman

shadowman Well-Known Member

Online is the way to go for me as well, much better selection plus I can import games from other regions which is really handy (especially as the Vita is region free). Game selection by me just sucks anyway, not just for the Vita but for pretty much all consoles - if you want something outside of the normal block busters then your out of luck...

16. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

I was in Dubai this week and visited one of the biggest retails there Virgin Mega Store and their Vita collections was almost good, I took some pics for you:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And Sony, they had some vita games but Virgin was the best.
    And another shop (in the airport):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    Chucklesuk, Celanson, 2048Dan and 2 others like this.
  17. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

Nice, although kinda wish the pics were the right way round so I wouldn't have to tilt my head and get a sore neck! :p An average gaming store wouldn't have this type of stock and range though for Vita games.

Barcellona likes this.
  18. Andrei

Andrei Active Member

Lol, I missed it for that price apparently.
    I do try and avoid Amazon as much as possible. Monopolies are bad news in the long run.

It sold half a million. That seems pretty good given the state of the console.

19. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Sorry just fixed the pics :)

Stryfe likes this.
  20. MikeRox

I think it failed to even chart in the US/UK though. Making the physical release a bit pointless for them as sales are good enough on digital to warrant the translations without the added costs of making a physical run.

The pics italodance has put on from Dubai though, to me pretty much confirm that the Vita does have a big market in the "other territories" which aren't generally tracked the same, especially on sites like VGChartz which does add further fuel to the theory that Vita is heavily under-tracked globally.

21. Stefarno

Stefarno Well-Known Member

Freedom Wars did enter the top 40 chart in the UK (just). Which I don't think was that bad really considering the low publicity, the genre and at a busy time of year.

I don't think the US has regular public charts, so it's hard to get a figure on that.

22. MikeRox

However, the bottom part of the top 40 even in November can be just a few hundred units.

23. Karl Smith

Karl Smith #supersmith2500

PSN ID:
    supersmith2500
    Now that's how you manage your Vita stock in your game shops.

As for my shops in the UK, the only shop that keeps up the PSVita stock is GAME. HMV stopped selling Vita and Grainger Games only sells like what 4-5 titles mainly being LEGO and FIFA?

24. jandermann1978

jandermann1978 Well-Known Member

...went digital only a year ago...last physical game on the Vita for me was FFX/X-2 and I bought it online via Amazon for 34,99 Euros...picked up 3 32gb-cards at a local videogame-store for the prize of 2...such a great value!!!...but I have to say, the "big" electronic retailers like saturn or media-markt stocks a hell lotta Vita-Games in their shelves...even some rare ones like tokyo twilight ghost hunters and criminal girls!!!...at least here in my region!!!...but I went totally digitally, cuz I have the space and could not handle all the small cartridges anymore...

25. Mamono Man

Mamono Man Active Member

Wow, I've never seen so many PS Vita games at once! O_O

The main reason I like physical copies is because I can sell them later after I get bored. If I really like the game, I'll keep it as a physical memento for memories. I've sold most of my games, but the really memorable ones always join my "game box memories stash". Yep, I'm "weird" like that. Picking up my Odin Sphere box and saying, "ahh, such a great game. I loved it!" It's just like a family photo for me. ^_^

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015