Official Topic LimitedRunGames

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita Games' started by Billybobbean, Oct 8, 2015.

1. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

I sense a subtle form of fatalistic existentialism here... Lay off the Kierkegaard, please!

I could go off on a tangent how it's really unbridled capitalism that's actually creating the desires with a never fullfilled promise of satisfaction, but well... let's not.

zodaex likes this.
  2. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

I apologise if the way I worded that comes off as being negative, that wasn't my intention at all. I'm just genuinely curious to understand other people's point of view for why they feel the way I do. In my personal opinion, a game's cover is by far one of the least important aspects of a game. From day 1 i've been buying Vita games I have never prioritized one specific cover over the other. I knowing bought DOAX3 with a Chinese cover when I could have easily bought it with a full English cover if that had mattered to me. A significant number of my games have Spanish covers snd I'm 100% content with them. Also when I pickup usesd games on eBay the u.k. Pegi logo versions are often cheaper so those are the ones I end up with. It doesn't matter to me which cover I get because the actual game and gameplay it's self is exactly the same and at the root of it all that's why I'm buying the games in the first place. Other more suttle differences do matter to me such as the reversal of meanings of the X and O buttons. I'm a very curious person by my nature and I love talking about Vita games & collecting & how and why people collect Vita games. I'm not judging anyone here, I'm just genuinely curious about the topic. I feel that I've got very distinctive and unique reasons for collecting Vita games the way I do and I'm more than happy to discuss it and explain the reasons I feel the way I do- in fact I enjoy telling other's why I collect the way that I collect. If someone doesn't feel like sharing their opinions with me then that's perfectly fine. I just didn't feel (at the time) that there could be any harm in asking but if I've offended anyone then I apologise. I was primarily trying to understand and get to know fellow Vita collectors better.
    Speaking of which, your rant about unbridled capitalizom sounds intriguing and if you felt like typing it up I'd definitely be interested in reading it in a PM. TheAtom Your posts are among my most favorite on this board of anyones.

TheAtom likes this.
  3. TheAtom

zodaex Oh no, I didn't mean that it felt like you were criticizing others or anything like that, wasn't really my intention! I get the intention and I'm sorry if it came across differently. :)
    What I meant was more that with you saying that there always being something we want that is out of reach being a part of the struggle of life and existing, just that part on itself apart from the cover variant discussion, sounds like a pretty negative outlook on life. Of course I know to put it in context and understand that it's not as full of despair as it may seem when taken out of that context, but it just seemed pretty depressing. It was more intended as a joke xD

We can continue the conversation in a pm if you'd like, but I'll share the basic idea here. :D So in a nutshell, the way unbridled capitalism works is that money goes over everything; it's the primary goal. This means, as we see around us, that companies grow larger and larger, and control more and more facets of our lives, as it is much easier to make more money as a multinational than it is as a local independent. This is especially clear when you look at how advertisements seem to be probably the most central parts of our daily lives. Where do you walk where there is no advertisement? You can go for a hike, sure, but that example already shows you have to take serious steps to not be advertised to.

The standard idea for advertisement is (honestly a little bit of a Marxist formulation, but anyway, I think it fits with the standard idea we have) that advertisement are supposed to inform you about the different products that companies have devised to fill your particular needs. You hungry? Well, ads will tell you what kind of food is available from which places at what price. If you want to play a video game (maybe more relevant) an ad will display some of the latest games, so they may inform you of what you may want to get to satisfy this need.

But is this what advertisements really do? Often-times you'll walk into the supermarket needing, say, a dozen of eggs, and you'll walk out with "a bunch of stuff you didn't know you needed". And you didn't need them. But you got them. That's the way advertisement works primarily: it creates desires, rather than showing you ways to satisfy the ones you already had. You didn't know you felt like chocolate until you saw an ad of a woman sultrily (is that a word? 'How to make sultry into an adverb' is just not really something I feel like googling now) eating one. The next step is that you actually buy the chocolate, trying to satisfy the desire. But was the chocolate really as good as the ad made it seem? Hell, did the ad really advertise a nice chocolate, creating a 'chocolate-craving' desire, or was the desire it created, despite your taking action in buying a chocolate, something beyond the chocolate, something unreachable that has to do with the woman, the fancy dress she was wearing, the luxurious hotel room, a wealthier life than you live?

In short, the problem with this is that ads sell dreams, but we buy only chocolates, leaving the dreams unfulfilled. Companies create desires with a promise to fulfill them by buying their products, but never actually fulfilling anything. This is what causes us to constantly want more things from those companies, to satisfy the needs created by those companies. It's also, in large, what causes the kind of worldview in which there always being something that is out of reach feels like an essential part of the struggle of living.

Note: none of this said 'communism, yay'. There's more to life than unbridled capitalism and communism.

zodaex likes this.
  4. wintermute

wintermute Well-Known Member

Talk about the thread ender...

5. zodaex

I apologize, I wish I had kept my mouth shut now. My damn curiosity gets the best of me sometimes. :(

sean likes this.
  6. ninty72

ninty72 Well-Known Member

Jak II tomorrow then , good job I don't collect ps4 but my help is here if you need a copy securing , well I'll try for you if your busy for just in case. :)

zodaex likes this.
  7. TheAtom

Sorry for that up there guys, should have stuck to pm as he said :oops:

sean likes this.
  8. wintermute

wintermute Well-Known Member

Hey I was kidding! It was hilarious to see all of a sudden those huge philosophical posts on a thread with LRG Vita games :)

sean and TheAtom like this.
  9. TheAtom

Ah okay! Good to know xD

It can be tough to read jokes on the internet sometimes and I have had people getting angry in different places before xD

zodaex likes this.
  10. Retro8bit

Retro8bit Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    Retro-8-bit
    I had that cover art variant dilemma with DOA Xtreme Volleyball 3. I asked myself: "Do I want Honoka's chest or Marie Rose's butt to be featured more?" Then suddenly the choice became clear to me...

sean and zodaex like this.
  11. DojoDan

DojoDan Well-Known Member

Er, there's a CHOICE!? Now I need both, and not in a capilism way ;)

TheAtom and zodaex like this.
  12. ninty72

OMG, they have actually decided to post something. Another World CE is on the way ....it'll be about 4 weeks before it gets to me though talk about a double edge sword.

13. lesdennis

lesdennis Well-Known Member

TheAtom likes this.
  14. TheAtom

Saw that as well. Wondering what happened... Did they get other companies' stock? Did they pull strings and were they allowed to lower the minimum allotment per game (as in perhaps doing only 1,000 game runs or something)

15. McFungos

McFungos Well-Known Member

So...

23 + 1 games to go :D

16. ninty72

Can they give some to Red Art as their games get delivered in days rather than months when I order from them ;) :)

17. sean

sean irishnerd47

Not sure what happened but sound like more stock.

Said they were now able to print some of the games they put on hold and up the quantitys on some.
    Super meat boy would no longer be limited to 2k print.

shirokuro, TheAtom and Vita VR Ps4 like this.
  18. ninty72

Defenders Quest has been shipped .....I will see you in four weeks time then ! :)

McFungos and zodaex like this.
  19. Blai

Blai Well-Known Member

20. shadowman

shadowman Well-Known Member

Nice. Been waiting for this one, pretty much my most wanted release bar Meat Boy. Hope they have decent stock for it.

21. zodaex

How many copies are we allowed to order each? I hope 4 since this game has 4 player ad-hoc and I'm now cut off from being able to re-download the digital version on my PSN account.

22. Vita VR Ps4

Vita VR Ps4 Member

A great Vita physical release! Anyone know the print run size?

23. TheAtom

Awesooome! Am considering getting two if my budget allows, for 2-player marital coop. :D

24. ninty72

Dragon Sinker has shipped , well I've had the email so it'll probably wait on a pallet for 4 weeks before actually moving , but hey it nice to know though isn't it ? lol

DojoDan likes this.
  25. Nikobelakhov

Nikobelakhov Active Member

Awesome news on Spelunky. Also received Rabi Ribi today and got a shipping confirmation for Siralim 2.

DojoDan and TheAtom like this.