Monster Monpiece Thoughts

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita Games' started by Terramax, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

I put off buying this game for a long while due to a.) the original price tag and b.) even when watching videos, not really understanding how to play.

However, for 9.00 pounds I`m most certainly getting my monies worth. Another one of those games I wish I had gotten into early.

Simply put, if this game had Mario / Nintendo characters in it, and was released on the 3DS, it would be touted as one of those unique gems and everyone would be high-fiving Nintendo and saying it was another feather in their cap.

However, as it`s on the PS Vita and has sexy anime characters instead, it will likely be remembered (if remembered at all) as a pervy fanservice game that created a bit of controversy for its slight censorship in the west.

Onto the gameplay; it`s deceptively deep, yet the game does a pretty good job of making almost everything simple to understand and read. I love it. Ultimately, this is a puzzle game and NOT a tactical RPG like it is often described.

I like the fact that you don`t level up your characters with EX but have to collect cards. I`m not a big fan of the rubbing mini-game as it gets repetitious fast. I do wish there was a way to skip it, at least for cards you have already levelled up in the past.

Great visuals. Just wish the music was a little more lively. Almost all the battle music sounds like boss-battle music, when it could have done with some more cheerful tunes every now-and-then.

This game is definitely recommended to anyone.

2. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

I agree, Monster Monpiece is really fun. And one of those rare Vita titles where the Japanese version isn't Vita-TV compatible, but the U.S. version is. It would have been really nice of LRG had worked out giving us a physical copy.

3. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

I got the game few months ago on 1 of those "super rare true PS Vita EU sales" (because Vita sales in EU are nowdays more rare than some physical Vita games out there) and I still need to play it, however after spending an hour on the PC version (I had that one on Steam and didn't even know about that) my conclusion is that the game is a perfect fit for the Vita just like Yu-Gi-Oh! games work better on a handheld.

I need to start it soon, Monster Monpiece looks like a fun time waster.

Well EU version is also not PSTV compatible it seems (makes a sad face)

4. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

Are you aware that there are actually price reductions (sales) in the uk usually on a weekly basis, but they're simply not advertised?

I recommend subscribing to the youtuber PSVita at 2am, if you haven't already. He gives you a heads up whenever a sale from any region comes into effect.

5. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

I know but pspprices is a quicker way to name 1 quick method.

Also I don't live in the UK but the sales for EU suck anyhow, any cross-buy titles just doesn't count for me as a sale because it's there because of the PS4, not to mention most of these games I already have or are not interesting enough.

For the rest, except from few lost games on sale the last true Vita EU sale was the first Big in Japan one this year, even the second one was 99% PS4.

Anyhow still thx for the tip.

Terramax likes this.
  6. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

Yeah, true. Having said that, on the very rare occassion there's the odd surprise game for sale. Wasn't at all interested in Cel Damage, but one of his videos showed it at £2.50 and, for that price, I thought "what the heck."

I do notice it's often the same games for sale. Been waiting years for Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2 to go on sale again as I want them, digitally, but for some reason they just refuse to be reduced in price.