MOST IMPRESSIVE Game for Every Console You've Owned

Discussion in 'Other Gaming Discussion' started by Terramax, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

OK, this is gonna test all of you. List the ONE SINGLE GAME for every one console you've owned that impressed you most. ONLY ONE GAME PER SYSTEM! No runner ups or 5 best. One single game. Doesn't neccessarily have to be your favourite or what's considered the best game by the majority. The one single game that gave you the biggest everlasting impression.

Here's goes:

Master System: Sonic 2. Some of the levels were visually really creative considering the technical limitations of the console. And that music is better than you. It's better than all of us!

Game Gear: Didn't have many games for this system but one of only 3 I even recall owning was Mortal Kombat which was probably the first adult game I ever played. Those sinister level designs were quite haunting for me as a very young kid back then.

Megadrive: Sonic 2 - not my fav MD game, but simply put, it's the first game that ever blew me away. Seeing the sidekick Tails for the first time, and then hearing that not only does he appear on the screen at the same time as Sonic, but a second player could play as him as well! Gimmicky stuff, no doubt, but it was barely comprehensible to my 7 year old or whatever age mind back then.

Mega CD: Tough call, but it has to go to Sonic CD. From a technical perspective; the music, visuals, scope of the levels. I still enjoy playing from time to time.

Saturn: Good God, here's the million dollar question. I've never been so obsessed with a console than I was with the Saturn, so it's hard to think of which game hyped me and blew me away the most as I could list so many. But I think the biggest impact might have to be Christmas Nights. Got it free with Sega Saturn magazine, and during a REALLY cold winter where I think it did snow a fair bit. Therefore, playing this game during Christmas time, unlocking all those presents, the music, the change in levels depending on the time of year. Nights still remains one of the most unique games ever made and it shows both Sega and Sonic Team during their creative peak.

Dreamcast: Soul Calibur. No contest here. The moment I saw this game in action for the first time at a friend's house I almost immediately traded in my PSX and 20-30 games for a Dreamcast with the sole intention of getting this game. Hell, Soul Calibur could have been the ONLY game for the Dreamcast and it would have been worth it. This isn't to say other games didn't blow me away, as there are several. Few games have ever convinced me to go out and buy a console simply to play one game, and this is one of them.

Playstation: Another toughy. I had to edit this one, as it suddenly occurred to me short while later this game was too big a deal. It's so cliched but Final Fantasy 7 really was that big a deal back then. The scope of the game was unmatched, and it perfectly combined all the elements that would engross a young teenager, particularly an outcast child going through some very terrible personally times. This game was pure escapism, and whilst FF7 fanboys now are often ridiculed for their over-zealous nature (and rightfully so sometimes), people fail to forget just how this game completely changed gaming, more so in the west than the east.

N64: Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire. I don't even like Star Wars and yet the scope of this game showed me the real strengths of the system. Getting to play on foot missions, on that hover bike thing, AND in space ships enhanced the scope further. HUGE game and highly underrated IMO.

Playstation 2: Hmm.... Silent Hill 3. I played this before the second title so the leap from the first game was even greater. Incredible graphics that still terrifies me to this day. SH2 is revered for it's superior storytelling, but SH3 feels like the most polished game of the series. And I have this game to thank for some truly bizarre dreams back in the day.

Gamecube: Another favourite console. Many great games, but the one that still impresses me most is a game I didn't get until some years later: Star Fox Assault. I agree the controls are stiff, but that's the only criticism I have of this game. Incredible graphics, a masterful soundtrack and an outstanding multiplayer mode.

Classic Xbox: Back then, I'd have said Halo like everyone else. But then came along Panzer Dragoon Orta. I first found the 3 form changes to be gimmicky, but once it clicked, I can barely play any other of the previous entries because of their bare-bone simplicity. The gameplay is brought to a new level because of this feature, but this is just the tip of the iceberg. Some of the best levels in the series, amazing soundtrack, and some of the best graphics on the console. If there was any justice in this world, we'd have a HD revamp like Halo 1 got.

Nintendo Wii: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz. Some people love it. Some people hate it. This is one of the only games for the Wii that genuinely seemed to benefit from the Wiimote controls (once you got used to how sensitive the game is), the jump feature added a whole new level of complexity, the minigames, though some of them duds, still offered hours of enjoyments, and the beautiful visuals and funky soundtrack were the icing on an already very sweet cake.

Xbox 360: Mushihimesama Futari steals the show. Perhaps the first Cave Shmup I ever played, and still my favourite of their library. The colourful visuals, wonderful soundtrack, and the balanced yet extremely challenging 3 or 4 modes have given me a ridiculous number of hours of fun.

PS3: Quite difficult considering this is probably the most underwhelming console I've ever owned and I haven't bothered with many exclusive titles for it. Drakengard 3 has left the most impact due to it's bizarre yet gripping story and characters.

Wii U: Splatoon. Obviously. Whilst online's limited communication would ultimately have me call it quits with this game, that wasn't before the game confirmed that there are still innovative ideas within long established genres yet to be explored.

PC: Myst IV: Revelations. Still probably the most beautiful game I've ever played. I ended up buying a new P.C. just so I could play this game on max graphics settings. A simply stunning game. The amount of detail that went into this game (as much as touching different objects on screen made different sounds to one another) is second to none.

Game Boy: Super Mario Land 2. The idea of being able to choose your levels, and return to them repeatedly was a very noval idea that works really well.

Game Boy Advance: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Everything about this game is amazing. The story. The tactical gameplay and numerous job classes. The music by legendary composer Hitoshi Sakimoto who achieves a soundtrack that shouldn't even be possible on this hardware. This game was indeed the most epic game ever put on a handheld up until that point.

DS: Worms Open Warfare 2 revived my love for the Worms franchise. Playing this with 3 other friends at the pub is still one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. God, I miss those days.

PSP: Two games spring to mind, but Ghost in the Shell: SAC narrowly takes first place. From a technical perspective, it's amazing they made such a polished FPS on such a device and at such an early point in the machine's life. Ridiculously underrated hidden gem of a game.

3DS: Ridge Racer 3D brough the series back to its arcade roots. Great gameplay, a darn good soundtrack, possibly the most colourful and arcady graphics in the whole series, and a very, VERY fast. Such a shame there was no online.

Playstation Vita: I bought what is now my favourite console for Gravity Rush, but is was the super-addictive Everybody's Golf that stole the show. Most of the games on my list are at least partically listed for their graphical advancements, but EG blew me away in reminding me that, above all else, gameplay reigns supreme. No other games prove this more.

2. DojoDan

DojoDan Well-Known Member

That's a beast of a post. Mines going to be the lite version since I'm on my phone Im afraid.

Nostalgia naturally leaves the longest impression for me but I'll go with your most impressive. There are more impressive games than these I'm sure but I'd have to like playing them to list them, and own them of course. Plus the list would be different if you asked the 10 year old me. Off the top of my head..

Megadrive: Thunderforce IV Too many to choose from but hook this up to a decent set of speakers and its a lot of fun.

Amiga 500: Syndicate Let's face it, the Amiga has far too many to choose from but in the day I loved the feeling of the city with working cars and trains. And the weapons made me feel badass.

SNES: Super Metroid I never owned a SNES in the day, I was a MD kid. But having read so much on this games atmosphere I decided to buy an RGB modded SNES Jr and this cart just to play it. And I wasn't disappointed.

Gameboy: Super Mario Land I don't own many original GB games but this just plays so well and hits all the right retro spots. Never owned a GB back in the day tho. Need to buy more games.

Gameboy Color: Warioland 3 I don't own many GBC games but I do like the animations and slick gameplay of the Warioland series. I need to collect more GBC games.

GBA: Drill Dozer There's like a million choices for impressive games but I have been playing this recently and I love the artwork and sounds. It plays so well and the rumble feature is neat.

PS2: Black Of the memories of the hype of Killzone back in the day, this wipes the floor with it for me. I spent hours playing this. Looks good, plays well and good weapons.

Xbox: Full Spectrum Warrior I know there are more impressive games but I spwnt hours playing this. I haven't got many Xbox games but this is the first game that hooked me.

Xbox 360: DOOM1/2 Too many to choose from so this is it. I've always dreamed of playing this on a TV and bam, the 360 delivers. Answers all my prayers as it works great with the controller. Just annoyed there's no Plutonia/TNT episodes.

Dreamcast: Quake 3 I'm not a DC collector and I sold mine a long time ago, but at the time this was the only way to play Q3 on a TV and it looked awesome. The DC is such a capable machine it's just a shame I hate the controller.

Saturn: Sega Rally This was one of 3 games I owned for it and I played it for hours. I was hooked on the arcade version and the Saturn port was awesome. No longer own a Saturn.

Wii: Sports Resorts For a machine that sold millions purely on it's controller it'd be sacrilege to mention a game that doesn't utilise it. Lots to choose from and I found the table tennis very impressive.

Gamecube: Resident Evil 4 I know a certain Star Wars game is visually stunning but I just just loved the look of this, and Im not a huge RE fan either.

PC: Half-life The Adrenaline Gamer mod. I know Q3 CPMA is very good but this for me was a revelation. The apitomy of movement and aiming combined and I've never witnessed such skillful players quite like it.

Three's more platforms but its 1am :( Plus 1 game doesn't do them justice lol.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

3. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

Well, ironically, some of the other forums I post at, in-depth threads like this are natural. Sadly, on this forum there aren't really many people whom are interested in having deep gaming conversations. :(

It's great to see a fellow retro gamer on here.

Yes, I very much considered Thunder Force IV for my Megadrive option too, but back in the day, for better or for worse, Sonic 2 really did blow my mind. If I were to have been introduced to the MD now, TFIV would likely be my choice.

Did you ever play Quake 3 Dreamcast with the mouse and keyboard? That game was heavenly on the DC. One of my most memorable experiences with the console (and I have quite a few). The DC version also has the best version of Q3 if nothing else but for its unique soundtrack.

Sad to say you no longer own a Saturn, and it's quite a shame if you only owned 3 games for it. However, yes, Sega Rally was a very impressive game. Amazing controlls and buttery smooth framerate for the time.

SaeDus and DojoDan like this.
  4. DojoDan

I never actually played Q3 with the KB and mouse. I did have a kb but never used it. I was a bit disappointed with the 360 version of Q3 because there's something wierd with how it controls that I can't get on with. Like turning acceleration or something. I prefer the PS2 version, just wish it looked as good as the DC version.

It's a little different owning older platforms now than it was back in the day when you played everything. I've owned and sold platforms but never really experienced what they fully had to offer, like the Saturn, DC, Atari Lynx, 2600, 800 etc. Mainly because I wanted them for just a couple of games and never progressed further than those.

Sounds like you own a fair few machines. What did you start out on back in the day?

5. stiggsen

stiggsen Well-Known Member

GB: Yes i too have to say Super Mario Land 1. I even scribbled my own levels while sitting in class ignoring what the teacher said lol
    NES: Star Wars. Never owned a NES, but thankfully there are neighbors right. Star Wars fascinated me because there was the overworld where you drove that vehicle, and then BAM the game switched into the 2d plattformer/sidescroller view.
    SNES: Rock n Roll Racing 2. Those Multiplayer Matches with the buddies. Great Times.
    DOS PC 486: Monkey Island. Look! Behind you! Theres a 3 headed monkey!
    PS1: RE1. Jeesh...here is the sound when one of this doors are slowly open and you enter a room for the very first time...what will you find? Death(because you are running low on bullets and herbs and there are 3 wild dogs crushing through the window next to you)? Or maybe a inkroll and some spare ammunition, a cushy fireplace with a armchair, pictures on the wall plus some story hints?...great game
    PS2: GranTurismo...Those Lightning Effects/Sunglares...even my old man(rip) was impressed.
    PSP: Jeanne D`Arc, one of the first srpg i really played for a longer period of time. Nice Animated Cutscenes. Colourfull Grafx. Lovely Characters. All in my hand.
    DS: Phoenix Wright. Thank God for Phoenix Wright.
    PS3: Uncharted 2. Games and Blockbustermovies are not so different anymore suddenly.
    Vita: Terraria. This freaking monumental timesink is only 50mb on my memorycard(ok with updates its now maybe 150mb, dont know exactly). What a great game on the go...ahem, i mean in the bed...ahem...the whole day....lol
    3DS: The 3D Effect to be honest, so the system. No particular game so far, had no time to really dig into one of them i am afraid.

Great Thread! :)

DojoDan likes this.
  6. DojoDan

^ Monkey Island was a contender for my Amiga choice! Hilarious game.

Terramax - I'm always up for game talk. I just don't have much experience with the likes of the DC, Saturn, N64, DS etc to name a few!

7. Murphy

Murphy Founder Staff Member

PSN ID:
    PMurphy1978
    I got into gaming relatively late, and through my formative years my game playing was restricted heavily (my dad thought video games were bad and a distraction to school work) but I still managed to own a few systems over the years.

GameBOY - the first gaming system that we actually owned in the house was the original GameBOY, bought shortly after launch and initially was actually my Mother's. Rinsing the life out of Tetris, Super Mario Land and many other popular titles (as well as Radar Mission: I LOVED that game!) it's difficult to see beyond Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. A fabulous effort all round with a great storyline and challenging but manageable dungeons means that this is arguably my favourite game of all time, not just on the GameBOY. Over the subsequent years I've owned the GameBOY Pocket and Colour, and of course a special mention has to go to Pokémon Crystal but Link's Awakening nails it for me.

SNES - Bought by my parents as an incentive for me to try harder at school, it didn't really work in the long term. Packaged with TWO controllers (oh they were the days) and Super Mario World, I spent many an hour playing what I consider to be Mario's finest 2D title. I'd secure all 96 exits, normally achieved by not playing Tubular as you were supposed to (fuck you balloons) then clear it all because the Mario-faced Koopas were shit. Special mention has to go to Super Probotector as well as Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past but I didn't enjoy Link's SNES adventure as much as Link's Awakening. I also cannot talk about the SNES without mentioning Star Fox (or, rather, Star "Wing") as it was exceptional, or even Super Mario Kart (Feather FTW) but Super Mario World rules for me.

Amiga 600 - I didn't get that much use out of my Amiga, which is a massive shame considering some of the many amazing titles on it. Dynablaster (Bomberman) in particular was right up there as a classic, but I cannot see beyond Syndicate. Back in the days before Peter Molyneux was full of utter shit*, he was actually responsible for many great games and this one in particular is in my all time top ten. The setting, the style, the weapons, the persuadatron (lol the frame rate issues when you had like 100 people following) and so much more means this game is an essential for anyone looking at classic Amiga games. Shame they absolutely bastardised it on modern consoles. Oh, and fuck you Atlantic Accelerator.

*Opinion, not fact - in case his lawyers are reading.

Nintendo 64 - Many people over the years find this a hard choice between Super Mario 64, Goldeneye or Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and all are equally impressive titles for different reasons. Mario's ascent into the third dimension was incredible, and Goldeneye was not only how to make a fantastic first person shooter before they were good, but also how to do a licensed game well. Has a licensed game been better since? Despite the rightful praise and acclamation, the best N64 game has to be Ocarina of Time. For similar reasons to other games as they evolved into the games we saw today, everything about the game is stunning.

PlayStation - Bought on a drunken whim (and seemed a better idea than going to dinner with my then Girlfriend's parents) the original PlayStation is a system I never really got the most out of. After-work drinking sessions combined with epic Player Manager sessions or even some mammoth Command and Conquer: Red Alert battles, complete with system link and two TV set-up were some of the more memorable (and ineffective) times with the console, but in terms of what I actually enjoyed the most, I have to say Gran Turismo 2. I wish I'd played more, though.

Gameboy Advance - I spent many hundreds and thousands of hours playing Pokémon on my GBA, easily more than I should have. IV breeding, EV training, soft-resetting and all that other Poké-jargon means that I cannot nominate anything other than a Pokémon title, and to be honest it HAS to be Pokémon: Leaf Green. A fantastic remake and released in the colour it should have been. It was a close run thing with Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap though, as well as Advance Wars but the sheer amount of time wasted on that silly pocket monster game wins the points. I do always regret never buying a GameBOY Micro too. Might have to rectify that.

Gamecube - Oh, how I loved my silly little cube with its tiny discs and camp handle, which served no purpose. I spent so much time with this thing, and enjoyed so many games, with Star Fox Assault, Super Mario Sunshine, Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker and Mario Kart: Double Dash obvious (first party) contenders for best game, but I cannot give it to anything other than Time Splitters 2. From the team that brought Goldeneye to the N64, this game surpassed it's older, licensed brother in every single way imaginable. Whether it was the sheer number of playable characters, story, level creator, weapons or challenges(brick challenge FTW) it's one of the finest games ever, IMHO, and an essential purchase for anyone looking for a Gamecube. I do have to give a special mention for Pikmin, though.

PlayStation 2 - I bought a PS2 primarily because my friends played Pro Evolution Soccer 2. So I wasted much time creating the right kits, badges and names before I realised that you can get an option file, that does it all for you. Back in the days before FIFA upped the game somewhat, this was THE Football game to play. Which is well and good, but the stand-out game from this generation is Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas without question, to the point where I still feel that it is THE quintessential GTA title still, and despite visual improvements I don't think that the overall gameplay and atmosphere have been matched. Exceptional.

DS - There were so many games I loved on my DS. Whether it be Metroid Prime Hunters, Advance Wars: Dual Strike, Wario Ware, Mario Kart DS and some game about catching monsters and putting them in your pocket. But for me, the truly exceptional DS game was Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (spotting a theme here, right?) which is my second favourite Zelda game of all time. Using the best of the DS's features without feeling gimmicky, and feeling truly like in belonged in the universe, I can't praise it enough. I do need to play Spirit Tracks though, but that's something for a different time.

Wii - Ah. The system which ultimately broke my affection (and tolerance) for Nintendo. Promised so much, and after initially igniting a new passion and genuine innovation in the way we play games, that enthusiasm and admiration very quickly waned. My ability to steadfastly - and stubbornly - support Nintendo blindly dissipated very quickly, but not before I'd ploughed some serious time into Wii Sports and broken many lightbulbs/picture frames/bits of furniture/other clichés that were totally true. There were a few other games too, but the game that came with the system arguably got the most out of it and lasted as long as your patience for it.

PSP - My love-in with the PSP was very short-lived. Bought and sold with a period of three months due to significant financial difficulties at home, I only ever purchased four PSP games. FIFA 07, Worms: Open Warfare 2, Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max and GTA: Vice City Stories. Suffice to say, I felt that Vice City Stories was the pick of the bunch.

Xbox 360 - I quickly became disillusioned with the Wii and so I took the plunge and got myself an Xbox 360 in late 2007, and then subsequently upgraded it for the shinier, black version shortly after it launched. I loved my 360 and the birth of TVL is thanks to an ill-fated attempt to do the same thing for Microsoft's second console. Second only to the Vita in the sheer number of games I played and loved, there are so many games I could list here, with Fallout 3, Gears of War 2, Mass Effect, Viva Pináta: Trouble in Paradise, Burnout Paradise, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Red Dead Redemption among so many amazing experiences. So many to choose, but I loved and enjoyed The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim so much and spent so much time playing that it has to be nominated.

PlayStation Vita - It's no exaggeration that this is probably my most favourite gaming system ever. It has never really been supported by Sony, never had the calibre of games that some of the other consoles I have loved has received and it is certainly starting to show its age a little now, but I've loved this little guy. I've played more games on the Vita than anything else no thanks to the ease at which it can be picked up and played anywhere. I've played games I never thought I would and this whole adventure has made me think differently about what I look for in a game. I'll save your eyes from too much reading here and put it in a future magazine or something, but for me my favourite Vita game is Tearaway. Acclaimed by so many, it has so much humour, charm and fun within its short adventure and is simply a joy to play, and play again and again. I personally feel that it's the most "Nintendo-like" game that Sony have ever published and I really thought it would have captured more imagination and support - most that have played it feel the same. I just wish we'd get more of it on our handheld, or indeed another Sony handheld...

I also have a PlayStation 4, but I've barely played it enough to warrant naming anything other than perhaps Fallout 4, or, more realistically, Rocket League. I also recently purchased a Xbox One S but I really haven't played it enough to warrant scoring anything yet. I also bought a New 3DS a couple of years back when they launched, trading my unused Vita OLED in the process :)() but after spending a week with it, I regretted it and now it's scuffed, filthy but loved by my six year old.

So that's my gigantic post done!

SaeDus, DojoDan and stiggsen like this.
  8. ixbeefxi

ixbeefxi Well-Known Member

Ok here goes:

Amiga: Would have to be Cannon Fodder. I loved this game back in the day. If you got past the comic side of it, there was a serious undertone and a lot of strategy.

Master System: A great system that i rarely put down but i did love Strider kept me busy for hours and i remember the run and gun platforming being hard as nails. (might have just been moe though)

Megadrive: Again there are so many to choose from on this system but the game i played the most was Altered Beast. Looks like shit now mind you.

NES: Hands down an easy pick on this one, Maniac Mansion!! They comedy in this game was awesome (Hamster in the microwave anyone) and the puzzles were genius.

SNES: I didn't actually own one of these (i know shock horror)

Dreamcast: I loved this system and was gutted when it died a death oh so quickly, so many great games and very individual ones as well - Phantasy Stay, Jet Set Radio, Powestone - but it is probably the most obvious that astounded me....Shenmue introduced me to gaming with meaning and a proper story. Something you could really get involved with and relate to. Something that i didnt experience again until my next entry...

PS One/Playstation: ......Final Fantasy VII to this day this is the most important and impressive game that i have ever played. I am currently going through the game again on the vita and loving it even more. I had never experienced an RPG before and boy was i in for a surprise. The depth to this game is phenominal and in my eyes changed the (western) world of gaming for good.

PS2: again it is another game that affected me on an emotional level. FFX again i am going through this again on the Vita. The less said about the follow up the better.

PS3: There was a lot of tat on this system and i tended to flit between games a lot rather than loving just the one but if there is one game that introduced me properly to a genre that i had overlooked it was COD:Modern Warfare. I think this game is responsible for revolutionsionising not only the FPS but also online gaming as a whole. Now i don't necessarily mean in a good way but there would be no Destiny, no Battlefield, the layout of modern multiplayer games would not be as they are now without this game.

PS4: Tough one this as i think this console still has a lot more to give but currently my most played and loved game is Destiny. Not for the gamelplay or for the graphics, or the loot but for the fact it has introduced me to so many new friends and created so many fun moments with these people that it has to be top of the list. the game itself is OK but not brilliantly however the community is just fantastic.

PSP: Lots of great games here as well. Patapon for me was excellent, such a catchy addictive little game. Very original and i just couldnt put the bloody thing down let alone get the songs out of my head. I still know the combinations off by heart to this day.

Gameboy: Pokemon......need i say anymore?

PC: Eve Online how do i even begin to explain this MMORPG. If you havent played it or heard of it i could be here all day waxing lyrical about this monster. Imagine Elite mixed with Star Wars mixed with an American Election mixed with Wing Commander and you will only be a small snippet of the way there. Just download a trial for a month and give it a go. Do not blame me if you do not see the light of day for quite a while after though....

stiggsen, DojoDan and SaeDus like this.
  9. Adam Anouer

Adam Anouer Well-Known Member

Most impressive games eh? Okay.

SNES: Zool - I had about 8 games for the SNES but this one really sticks with me for some reason probably due to it's awesome pacing and the fact it's character is consistent and varied throughout and that's why I love it almost as much as I love Rayman it has charm.

Gameboy & Gameboy: Pokemon Silver (I never owned Crystal) - Of all the games I have owned in my entire life THIS is the one I have played the most by some distance. Even with my gameboy pocket screen Broken I could never get enough of what this game gave me in terms of a memorable adventure and real memories of being that age. Best game on the system by far.

Playstation: Metal Gear Solid - Do I even need to explain this one? Looking back on it I don't think there is a single Metal Gear Solid game that hasn't pushed the boundaries of either the series or the stealth genre in some way whether it was taken it out into the open world in 3, The way Peace Walker made you build an empire, the way MGS2 absolutely f**ked with your head in so many different incredible ways. MGS PS1 took what Metal Gear 2 established and brought it to such a huge scope and scale and set the standard for what we expect in cinematic story telling and will always have fond memories with me.

Playstation 2: Metal Gear Sold 2 - It was either going to be this or the completely underrated Silent Hill 4 (I'm serious that game has such attention to detail it's borderline incredible) but with Metal Gear Solid 2 this game looked absolutely phenomenal and was so damn smooth and it had so many small details which shine on even to this day like dynamic physics of interracting with random objects whether it's punching water melons or knocking over a box of potatoes. Do I even need to go into the story? Yeah I realise people don't like Raiden but let's face it if you let that ruin what could be one of the most ambitious stories in gaming history then you really are missing out on so damn much.

Playstation 3: GTA V - The reason I'm choosing this game over say Uncharted or Just Cause is because while those games maybe pretty it's this game where the world feels truly alive and immersive there is always some small detail to look for or something to interact with that amounts to such an amazing adventure. I still find it amazing how this series game from Hotline Miami to this and it just staggers me how damn well it's done ever since. I love the game... it's story isn't as charimatic as San Andreas but I love it all the same.

Nintendo DS: Deep Labyrinth - The DS is probably the console I have played the most games on ever and out of all of them out there this one I feel is by far the most underratted it looks absolutely stunning, has a great story and actually uses the system really damn well.

Nintendo 3DS: Pokemon XY - Honestly I didn't own many games for the 3DS but what I will always remember about this game is how much speculation was spawned regarding the games lore before the 3DS had been cracked and the data unloaded. It was that hype, that same kinda magic of when Red/Blue/Yellow was out where players would make all sorts of theories and fake cheats which no-one was ever sure which were true and which were fake and I'll always love XY for that not to mention Kalos is the best season of the anime BAR NONE.

GBA: Metroid Zero Mission - Never in my entire life playing a 2D game have I ever felt such fluid control of a character and because this games pace and flow are absolutely irresistable. The point of Metroidvania is how well you use your vastly growing abilities to find new secrets and have fun while doing it and no game to date has done this for me better than Zero Mission has.

PSP: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite/Portable 3rd - This game... oh my word this game...I can't even begin to describe it there is absolutely nothing else on the PSP like it and there's a reason JPN loves this series so much. Losing this series to the 3DS partly hurt the VITA and that's because these games are so vast and organic that playing it feels like nothing else I've ever experienced.

PS Vita: Digimon World Cyber Sleuth -...What can I say I love Digimon and this game looks AMAZING I love the art style, I love the character designs if only the story weren't so forgettable it would be my favourite.

stiggsen and DojoDan like this.
  10. Andreas Stalin

Andreas Stalin Well-Known Member

WiP list (might be subject to change):

PS 2: shadow of the colossus. While it barely runs on the ps2 it's still a mesmerizing experience that should not be missed.

Psp: final fantasy type zero. The scope of this game is just so grand, an absolute triumph on the PlayStation portable. Honorable mention goes to the two Trails in the sky games for their ability to create a believable world and tell a tale on such a grand scale on a tiny handheld.

DS: the world ends with you. Yes the use of both screens are unprecedented. Perfectly executed.

3DS: Bravely Default: Flying fairy. It's a beautiful game with excellent use of the stereoscopic 3D. For me the white hospital room stands out with its clean lines and brilliant white.

Ps Vita: Gravity rush. Still looks and plays fantastic on the vita. Gives us a glimpse of what could have been if the vita had gotten all the love it deserved. Despite sonys treatment of the system we still have gotten lots of great third party material and I'm thankful for that.

Wii: Xenoblade chronicles. Just the game world made up by the two giants locked in battle is enough to put this one on the list. Honorable mention goes to tLoZ: skyward sword. Yes the hype finally got real, the motion controls in this game was spot on and worked great for me.

PS3: the last of us. The journey through infested America is one of the best in gaming ever, even though the somewhat generic gameplay let's it down. But the world, the story and the characters are so good it's a game not to be missed and an achievement for games as a medium. And games as art.

PlayStation: silent hill. Using the systems limitations to create a world shrouded in fog, such a brilliant idea and it works unbelievably well.

Dreamcast: Shenmue. In so many ways this game was visionary. Legend.

GameCube: Zelda: the wind waker. The cell shading to this day looks and plays fantastic. Such an impressive looking game it is.

N64: Zelda: Majoras Mask. An absolute triumph in story telling. To this day the way this game is built still baffles me.

Xbox: panzer dragoon orta. An amazing dragonride and probably my favorite on rails shooter of all time. Honorable mention to Shenmue 2, even though it was a dreamcast port.

Saturn: while I haven't played many games on the Saturn Panzer Dragoon Saga is the one that comes to mind for its ambitious storytelling and fantastically realized gameworld.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    stiggsen and DojoDan like this.
  11. ixbeefxi

I so very nearly chose this for the Amiga!!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Adam Anouer likes this.
  12. Adam Anouer

Adam Anouer Well-Known Member

Daw :) Bless you beef. Charismatic game right? And fun too. I remember dying a lot but I remember not minding too much because of that.

13. ixbeefxi

I remember the first couple of world's vaguely as well. Pretty sure the first one was to do with deserts and then you moved onto a music world.

Bollox hard but I was only young then.

Damn I feel old

14. SaeDus

SaeDus Member

I love getting into deeper conversations like this; great topic! :D I will try to bring up new points for different games because I did not grow up gaming with a group of friends, discovering new games and playing at every sleep over; instead, it was me and my brother that would play games between baseball seasons and when we just didn't want or need to go outside to practice. My point is that I did not hear about great games, 'get this, this is coming soon -- nothing', so I grew up liking some games that were not very popular just because they became personal favorites. The only contact we had with the gaming market was when we went to Game Crazy inside our Hollywood Video store in town. This will be a long post, but here we go.

Gameboy Color - The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons - I loved this game for the amount of content, and while my brother owned Oracle of Ages, we were able to transfer rings, secrets, and we always had a blast playing it. I have probably beaten Oracle of Seasons a dozen times now and it still remains one of my favorite games to this day for the amount of puzzles, equipment, and secrets to uncover. I loved how challenging it was, and that after you beat the game, it would give you a code to trade with Oracle of Ages that would allow you to start a new game with slightly altered dungeons, items, and a totally different storyline to follow.

Gameboy Advance - Metroid Fusion - I picked this one up when a local store offered an unbeatable deal -- we could bring in a Gameboy Color (with the battery cover accounted for) and they would do a direct swap for the Gameboy Advance. I love Metroid Fusion for its amount of content, pickups, upgrades, and was actually the first Metroid game I had really enjoyed. I always saw the original as a dark, foreboding, and eerie game that seemed to scare me with the dark levels, hard gameplay, and creepy music. I still mainly used my GBA to play Oracle of Seasons, it was just a lot easier to play since we had the little case/cover on it that would flip out and light up the screen when it was too dark.

SNES - Goof Troop - I loved this game for its challenging puzzles, engaging gameplay, and difficult levels. My favorite part was being able to have a friend (or brother in my case) join in and help solve the puzzles together. We would always argue over who got to have the gun, dreaded when we were the one that had to carry the worthless board just to cross a patch of water, and fought over who got to grab the shovel to dig up the patches of dirt looking for extra lives. I went back and played it recently and it felt very short, and not nearly as challenging as I had remembered lol.

N64 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - While this game may seem obvious for many reasons, I chose this one over many others because it was one game that my brother and I could always go back to and play together. While it is obviously not a multiplayer game, we would constantly be taking turns with it, setting a timer for how long each one of us got, and staying up way too late sneaking in more gameplay long after our bedtime. We even had the gold controller with this game and for any other multiplayer game we would argue over who got to use the gold controller and which one had to use the boring 'see-through' controller, as we called it. (My brother and I were always terrified of Majora's Mask, and thought the whole game had to be beat within the three day 'time limit'. In our rush to complete the game, we skipped a lot of 'boring' dialogue and I guess we skipped right over the part where they explain to use the Song of Time to go back to day one lol.)

Sega Dreamcast - Toy Commander - I had a hard time picking this one over some of the others because the Sega Dreamcast was my favorite system as a kid, but this one takes the gold. I loved it for how awesome it felt not just to play with hot wheels in the house, but to actually be the race car or airplane cruising throughout the entire house killing bugs, completing missions, shooting the light switch to turn the lights on and off, falling down the sink and into the piping, or shooting each other down in its awesome multiplayer action. My brother and I were astounded that we could unlock new parts of the house to play in after beating the missions in singleplayer, and were so excited when we beat the game and unlocked every level to play on. This game is best enjoyed with at least four players, is great fun with more, but still a lot of fun with only one or two to play. It also makes for one of the best games to play as a drinking game, (or while totally baked ;P just saying).

Nintendo DS - Metroid Prime: Hunters - I am actually giving this to a game that I never owned, but I had the demo cartridge for it, and never got tired of playing it over and over again. Granted, it was a single level that ended the demo once it was done, it was still my favorite game to play, and for whatever reason, never bought the full game. I loved how I could use the bottom touch screen to aim, which felt very precise, and how cool it was to solve puzzles and shoot things on this amazing game wherever and whenever I wanted. There was also no commitment to it because it was just a demo so I used it as my casual game to play anytime I needed time to kill, or if I was waiting for my brother to finish with his turn on the TV so I could have my turn on whatever console we were playing at that moment.

GameCube - Pikmin - This game stands out among the rest of the GameCube's library because of how intense it always felt. I always felt pressured to take the time to venture out just a little further just to find another part to my ship, and dreaded when I would accidentally strand legions of those little helpers out, only to watch them be eaten, crushed, or burned while I took off safely in my ship like an asshole. I would try to push for extra parts in a single day (which was much harder to do as a kid btw) and spend a whole day gathering materials and animal corpses in order to build up my legion of Pikmin again to be ready for the sorrowful days to come filled with tiny screams as an ill-timed call forced the little guys into the path of a giant boulder. I only beat this game once as a kid just because I lost too many Pikmin all the time and lacked the motor skills to micro my minions out of harm's way, which meant that I always ran out of time, or quit just to start over with a new batch of Pikmin.

PlayStation 2 - Champions of Norrath: Realms of Everquest - You'll probably notice by now that most of the games on my list are here for their multiplayer gameplay or just because it was a game that my brother and I always fought to play and had to take turns on, and this is no exception. I loved Champions of Norrath for its drop-in, drop-out multiplayer that really utilized the multi-tap, the random loot that would drop, and how much my brother and I would fight over each and every good drop. (We fought a lot becuase we were so close in age and that's just how things went for us.) Of course, it didn't help that we were both Barbarians and would use each level up to find out what skills worked best for the other, so our skill trees were always very similar. I didn't like the sequel, Return to Arms, because it removed the drop-in, drop-out feature that we loved so much; and it just didn't feel like the same game anymore. Plus the only cheat we could use was to 'create a character in Champions of Norrath, use the cheat to make him level 20, then import him to Return to Arms' which meant that we could not cheat on the new characters that were added!

Xbox (original) - Advent Rising - This game was not very popular because it came out around the same time as another game, which was huge (for the life of me I cannot remember what it was though), and this was brushed aside for the most part (from what I believe/remember, I could be wrong). I found this game when I was working for the local game store in my small town and had to try it out. I was utterly astounded by the gameplay, the combat, and the flow of the entire game; I could not stop until I had beaten it, which isn't hard to do because its a very short game. The ability to wield weapons and awesome psychic abilities, that enhanced combat to the extreme, made combat the key selling point of this game. I loved slowing time in a matrix-like way while doing awesome flips and tricks while shooting at the bad guys (I had not even seen Matrix at this point (I know, it's weird), so at the time I did not compare it to that at all, I just loved the game for what it was) and there were even other psychic abilities that could be used instead of guns. If I still had the original Xbox, I would definitely go out to hunt this game down right now.

Xbox 360 - Prototype - This game made me feel like anything was possible in a video game, and I loved every bit of this game from start to finish. The combat is fast, powerful, and immensely satisfying; being able to plunge from a rooftop onto the street and start wiping out the enemy was always the coolest feeling. Walking into an unsuspecting military base disguised as a soldier, only to shape-shift and wipe everyone out with claws, a whip, hammer, or a giant blade was always too much fun and granted so many hours of free-roam that I had a hard time staying to the storyline missions without getting distracted. Just pick a building, run up the walls, then plunge from the top to devastate the street below and anyone will get an adrenaline rush from it. If you haven't played it, both Prototype and Prototype 2 are awesome games (the sequel fixes everything wrong with the first and is even better) and they are both on the PS4 (and on sale for the 10th anniversary btw).

PSP - Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy - I never really played much of any Final Fantasy games, but this one got me hooked on the whole series. While it's nowhere near a JRPG, it introduced me to many characters that I took to the games to play as or against in the series. The combat is a 1v1 fight that takes place in the air and on the ground and requires you to equip different skills to be able to fight effectively on either playing field; and each character excels in different areas, which can make you love one character in one moment, then hate him in the next. I love the combat and the skill needed to play the game (other than a few certain characters that require no skill at all to play as), the storyline is interesting, and the secrets are everywhere. The game can be very grindy to get a character to max level, but there are tricks to use that will let you fight a level 100 as a level 1 easily that will jump you to the level 60 range after one fight that lasts only a few seconds. (Although it does require that you get at least one character to max level, and there are a lot of items and skills needed to pull it off effectively.) This game is also available on the PS Vita and plays really well with having a second analog stick for when you don't want to be locked on to the other fighter.

PS Vita - Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention - I hadn't really heard of the series before finding out about Disgaea 3 for the Vita, but fell in love immediately. I had a really hard time picking just one game for the Vita though, as many of them have had huge impacts on me. This game is not one that is going to show off the capabilities of the Vita's front and back touchscreen, or anything else for that matter, but it is still one of my favorite game for the Vita. The story and combat are as intense as they are funny, and neither concept distracts from the other. Combat is turn-based, but fast-paced, while also being very funny being able to lift a tower of characters in order to throw one to the best strategic position, or so he can get off the massive skill to drop the boss-type enemy quickly while you're working on grinding all of the other characters. The game is extremely grindy however, and can be a big turn-off for some people, but leveling characters unlocks stronger versions of that character as well as a huge variety of classes that are hidden.

PlayStation 4 - The Witcher III: Wild Hunt - This one was not at the top of my list for a while until I compared my storyline with a friend's. I had mentioned a certain character who he had no idea about, and even a main story quest varied between our gameplays by so much that I was shocked at how many variables must have gone into how the characters would interact and turn out even several quests later. I love that about this game and will always hold a top position among my lineup of games even though I had never played a Witcher game before. The combat is fast and intense, and the interactions are as interesting as they are satisfying; "I hate this guy, I want to just punch him in the face... Oh wait! I can!".

Nintendo 3DS - Monster Hunter Generations - I was going to name a Monster Hunter game for the PSP, but I want to keep my same-series list to a minimum and decided to list it for the 3DS instead. Monster Hunter is my favorite series, and am still on the wall about getting the new God Eater 2 for the Vita to enjoy more, albeit very dissimilar, gameplay in the Monster Hunting genre. I love the amount of content, weapons, armor, monsters, quests, and everything else about Monster Hunter, and the time to be spent on this game is nearly endless with no 'end' goals other than when you feel you have become a true monster hunter.

This list came out much longer than expected, but to stay true to the one game per console rule, I had to explain why each game won over countless others on every system haha. Thanks for reading all this.

TL;DR - Read the bold system, then the underlined game. Done.

Edit: I have to add PC - X-COM: UFO Defense - This is not a game that I played as a kid and have wonderful, horrible, nostalgic memories of, but a game I picked up only a few years ago and cannot go without playing it from time to time. Now I have fantastic, nightmarish, nostalgic memories of it, though! This game is as brutally honest as a teenage girl making fun of another girl in front of everyone, and has a more lasting effect. Before a single soldier steps off the transport to engage the alien threat, I worry about their life being taken from a lucky shot at their first step; then the next soldier, and the next. Each moment is terrifying and each kill, no matter how trivial, is utterly fantastic and grounds for celebration. I still have nightmares of random shots coming through the dark, clearing impossible windows, and killing a soldier seated safely inside. Even if one of your luckiest shots connects with its target, it probably doesn't care, and it's really pissed now. Even if one of their shots miraculously misses the intended target, don't celebrate yet, there's a good chance it's going to kill the soldier crouched behind him, checking the other direction. 10/10.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  15. Andreas Stalin

Andreas Stalin Well-Known Member

SaeDus . Yes pikmin for the GameCube, it may have impressed me more than even wind waker did. That game is one of the most tense experiences I have ever had with a video game.

SaeDus likes this.
  16. DojoDan

I've never played an X-com game. I remember a mate playing it back in the day. I miss floppy disks. Digital games don't make any noise when installing :(

SaeDus and ixbeefxi like this.
  17. ixbeefxi

Or cassette tapes that make an awesome loading nose...

18. SaeDus

SaeDus Member

Just know that there is a huge difference between X-COM and XCOM. Huge. lol

19. GreenKoopa

GreenKoopa Well-Known Member

Wow, this is going to be a tough choice.

NES: Super Mario Bros 1. Platform game done right. Cliche tho.

SNES: Super Mario Kart. Was never in to racing games, but this one made it fun and added combat strategy to the mix. Also, 4 player on a home console!

N64: Smash Bros. Defined the genre.

Gamecube: smash bros melee. Redefined the genre!

Wii: wii sports. For the time, a console which offered motion controls which worked! And, a game with heaps of variety to experience it with your friends.

Dreamcast: Powerstone 2. 3D variation on smash bros with combos, supers and collapsing background, all with a strog japanese feel.

PS1: Gran Turismo. The graphics, variety of cars, upgrade options and long terms playability.

PS3: Fallout 3. FPS meets rpg in a post apocalyptic world with 50s charm.

PC - this section should really be done 5 year increments because each generation of tech is like a new console in a sense. Sorry to break the rules here.

PC 1990-1995: Sim city 2000
    PC 1995-2000: Dark Reign
    PC 2000 - 2005: soldier of fortune 2 double helix. Great fps with solid multiplayer. So addictive.
    PC 2005 - 2010: Civilisation 4. So so so addictive... just... one.. more... turn.

Arcade: similar situation to pc but I'll stick to one. Xmen vs street fighter. Combos, supers, Multiple characters on the go. Defined the genre.

DojoDan, ixbeefxi and stiggsen like this.
  20. Fanny Magnet

Fanny Magnet Sex God!

Sega Rally for the Saturn and Nightmare Park for the ZX81 and Civilisation for the PC.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  21. McGee Jean

McGee Jean New Member

22. eric

eric Well-Known Member

All of these were played in the era they were released (so this will definitely show my age)!

Apple II - missile command type game (not sure what it was called)
    Mac Classic - Zork
    ---
    PC - Castle Wolfenstein
    ---
    Atari 2600 - Adventure
    Atari 400 - Caverns of Mars
    Atari 800 - Shamus (I forget the exact spelling)
    ---
    Standup Arcade Coin-op - Gauntlet
    ---
    Gameboy original - Final Fantasy
    Gameboy color - Top Gear w/ rumble pack
    Gameboy Pocket - Metroid
    Super Nintendo 64 - Mario Kart
    Gameboy Advance - Zelda and the Minish Cap
    Nintendo 3DS - Fire Emblem Echoes
    ---
    PSP - Jean D' Arc
    PS Vita - Steamworld Heist
    Sony PS1 or PS 2 - Twisted Metal
    Sony PS3 - Gran Turismo

I am sure I am missing quite a few devices and games, but those are the ones that really stand out and that I spent a lot of time playing.

DojoDan likes this.
  23. Fanny Magnet

Fanny Magnet Sex God!

I'm just going to mention the original CIV for PC,MarioKart for the N64, COD for the PS3 and MXGP for the Vita.

24. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

Wow! It's nice to see people rise to the challenge and write their own [gaming] life stories. Great reads, all round!

Sorry I didn't reply sooner DojoDan. Didn't notice people responding to this threat. I was amazed to see all the really good posts now.

Thunderforce IV was indeed a very impressive game for the system. The console clearly struggles getting it running. But the visuals are fast and a crazy explosion of colours, and the soundtrack is just outright perfect!

That's a shame. The Saturn and DC are definitely goldmines for great, obscure titles, especially if importing is an option.

I grew up on Sega consoles. Starting with the Master Systems, Megadrive, Mega CD and Saturn. It wasn't until my Saturn died in 1999 that I got myself a PSX and eventually all major consoles after that point. I fell in love with the Dreamcast, which was my favourite console until the Vita came along. I've also gone back and owned other retro consoles like the NES, Snes too.

Right now I'm back in retro mode, currently trying to buy back all of my favourite games of yesteryear, considering there are very few contemporary titles that interest me.

Murphy

I'm pretty sure at this point that it's fact. Even though you know the score, I recommend watching Kim Justice's epic 'The Rise and Fall of Peter Molyneux' series. It's lengthy, but very fascinating. That goes for everyone.

On the whole, I empathise a whole lot of what you wrote, I too absolutely adored all the titles for the cube you mentioned. I too had memorable times playing linkup with the PSX, mainly Dune 2000 with a friend.

The 360 has, over time, become a favourite console of mine. I'm still picking up games left, right, and centre for silly cheap prices. I've just imported Halo 3 & 4 all the way to Japan for £10. I've bought so many 360 games that I've literally just started throwing away the boxes and manuals, and just keeping the discs (unless it's an absolute favourite) as I simply don't have the space for all the games.

You also hit the nail on the head with the Vita. Despite little support from Sony, it's frankly amazing how much support the console has gotten from 3rd parties. Thanks to the ease of playing anywhere, at any time, and that PSN games, in sales, are just ridiculously cheap (just got Grim Fandango for £1.19!!!!!), I've played so many games I wouldn't have done otherwise.

ixbeefxi - Shenmue is a great game, and one of the main games that influenced me to migrate to Japan, where I'm now in the process of starting a family at. I find the game a bit cumbersome to play now, but I'll play every once in a while for nostalgic purposes.

Final Fantasy VII can't be overstated either. A lot of people like to make fun of it now, or at least the manic fanboys of it, but it really did affect and influence a generation of gamers in a way that few other games before or since ever have.

@ Andreas Stalin - Great to see a Silent Hill and Panzer Dragoon fan on here. Not many people appreciate the latter series, and the former is sadly being forgotten, which it shouldn't be.

@ SaeDus - Toy Commander. That's an interesting choice. I've owned it, and it was great. However, I think that one that only those who bought the DC VERY early on have such fond memories, as it was quickly surpassed by other fun multiplayer titles. I've still had a whole bunch of fun with it 3 - 4 players. I even got my mum into it. And this wasn't during the launch. I mean, just before I migrated to Japan in 2012, I was collecting Dreamcast games (had almost every PAL release), and would play all my multiplayer games with my mum, sisters, and friends, and even in 2011, Toy Commander was still extremely playable. Shame Toy Racer turned out to be utter shit.

Metroid Prime: Hunters - Yeah, that's a great DS game. I was able to play it multiplayer, locally, but with one cart, the matches kept crashing halfway through. Never got to play online, sadly. This is one game that REALLY ought to have had a sequel on the 3DS (no, that spinoff Metroid doesn't count).

Advent Rising - My sister was HUGELY into that game. I might be wrong here, but it's possible it failed as it was likely released around the time Halo 2 came out. Advent Rising had a cliffhanger ending too, which was never resolved, right? Pity. This is another one of those big, original IPs that should have been successful, but wasn't. In hindsight, it looks like a precurser to the likes of Mass Effect. I also think it failed due to publisher Majesco's financial situation at the time. The also released the incredible 'Psychonauts' around the same time, which also failed to launch.

I've bought the first Prototype for the 360, but have yet to play it. But reading your story intrigues me to play it sooner rather than later.

@ GreenKoopa - Someone likes their all v all brawlers (Smash Bros and Powerstone). Perhaps check out 'Guardian Heroes' for the Saturn, or the Xbox 360 re-release. Not QUITE the same thing, but a hunch that you'd get a kick out of it.

DojoDan likes this.