Multiple PS Vita accounts

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by Papertale, Jan 20, 2014.

?

Would allowing multiple accounts on the vita affect game sales and promote piracy ?

1. No

80.0%
  2. Yes

20.0%
  1. Papertale

Papertale Member

This is one of the biggest let downs of Vita imo. To make things worse Sony added a feature in an update long ago that ties your PSN with your memory card. I don't get why they would not allow multiple accounts on a vita kind off makes the 'vita is not region locked' statement a joke. They could have some policy for only using an account on 2 devices maximum at the same time just like the Ps3 has. I really hope they don't plan on keeping it like that forever. Why make it so locked down and complicated ? Even if you own multiple memory cards the process is such a hassle it just doesn't make sense. So if you're stuck with one memory card you'd have to format it make a new id and then all your homescreen layout resets. Very frustrating just make you want to stay away from it

My only logical explanation is piracy or game sharing. They made it clear with the update that you can actually have multiple accounts but it's just their wish not to allow it by locking our accounts with memory cards

2. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

My guess is that it simply makes it easier for most consumers. You don't have to log in to an account and be granted access to the games you've downloaded (like Steam for example.) You skip that step because your card is locked to your account. If you could have multiple accounts on a card then you'd have some games you can't access and others you can while logged in to a given account; it would probably be a hassle. You also wouldn't be able to log in and play digital games unless you had internet access. I guess it prevents users from logging in on their friends' accounts and having access to their libraries as well as your own, but I'm not sure that this is the purpose behind it. It sream-lines the Vita for the people who have no need of separate accounts (which to be fair, is the majority.) When you buy a game digitally from Steam or Origin for example, you have to log in (and stay online) every time you want to play it, or go into offline mode which would cut out stuff like trophies updating until you logged in again. This is necessary because with those clients, you can download and install games on any computer you sign in on. If you lock the device to the account though, you eliminate this procedure and you no longer have to deal with this stuff. Digital purchases are actually more convenient because you don't need to carry around the physical copies and you still have instant access, with or without internet access. The Vita has strong digital sales numbers and I believe this may in part be because your digitally bought games are never locked behind a log-in screen - it's a small thing that's easily overlooked but it just feels... better.

If it is about piracy, it's doubtful you'll ever get big companies to abandon DRM entirely a la CDProjekt Red and GOG. Locking a card to an account is much less invasive and irritating for consumers than any other form of DRM. It will bother those that want multiple accounts, yes, but it has a lot of advantages too. If they did follow their example, Sony would enable multiple accounts to log in, and you could download the games bought from those accounts all onto one memory card and play all of them without logging in, which would sound like a Piracy Nightmare to people at Sony.

Either way there are 3 main scenerios:
    1. No account lock, no DRM, no nothing (a la GOG): Good luck getting them to believe this is a good idea. I'm not saying it is or isn't, just that you're unlikely to convince anyone at Sony that this is the best idea.
    2. No account lock, DRM behind a login (a la Steam): Perfectly viable but can inconvenience the user in a number of ways. DRM is irritating and causes problems, internet access required for certain things, games inaccessible unless you're logged into the right account.
    3. Account lock: Unable to get games from other regions without a separate memory card, but removes inconveniences and is itself a form of DRM that is less intrusive.

I'm biased towards the third option myself. There are probably more options they could have gone with but those are the major models of digital distribution that I'm aware of. Maybe limiting the number of times you can download your purchases, but that would make buying digital much less desirable.

3. Papertale

Papertale Member

I agree with what you say makes sense but of what about different 'profiles' ? That pretty much eliminates account changing being a hassle. I know Vita is a handheld and doesn't work as a home console but profiles would be more suitable imo. That way you could use different accounts without exploiting game sharing.

Speaking of game sharing Sony has a policy that you can download digital titles on upto 2 consoles at the same time. Why not for Vita ? As far as i know even PS4 has digital game sharing. Just doesn't make sense to me

4. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

If they get around to adding profiles for vita it'll probably not be for a while. People share home consoles but who shares handhelds? They most likely add stuff based on priority, but unfortunately this is likely very low if it's on their list at all. Sony does kind of have their heads up their ass regarding the Vita though, so I wouldn't expect much to make sense from them. In any case adding flexibility to garner sales from other regions is probably deemed unprofitable or unnecessary.

5. hunterslasher13

hunterslasher13 Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    hunterslasher27
    It's something that would be nice to have but not necessarily something I need right now, I'm sure the PlayStation guys get that question multiple times, I'm sure they're working on it whether it's coming is a whole other thing.

6. Kurisutina

Kurisutina Ultimate Vita Enthusiast

PSN ID:
    Shiroyami
    The PS Vita is a device for one (1) person, therefore there was no need to enable Multiple Regions at the same time. I also suspect that, at least for the publishers whom localize game content, as well as for Japanese publishers whom benefit from those relationships, it's an added incentive on their part. Yes you can still "play" the game if you're willing to go through the hurdle but since it turns most people off, they're more likely to just wait for the (hopeful) localization. If PS Vita was a console like PS4, then it'd probably have a multi-account system. Ah lastly it's probably to tone down Game Sharing as well, particularly in Japan. Since digital is picking up even over there, I could see people sharing with their friends all over but I confess the last part is speculation.

7. CharZarz

CharZarz Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    FruitOnline
    I didnt even know you could have multiple accounts lol.