My Vita kicks me out of online games when I plug in the charger

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita Help' started by zodaex, Jan 27, 2017.

1. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

I like to play online games a lot on my Vita. Whenever I am playing online and my battery gets low, if I plug my Vita into my computer's USB port to charge my Vita will instantly kick me out of the online game i'm in. First it takes me to some kind of Vita to PC linker screen that I don't even know what it does so I back out of that but at this point i've been kicked out of the game lobby I was in. I've been loosing the Rest of my team on EDF2 pretty regularly from this happening. Is there some sort of setting somewhere on the Vita that disables it from kicking me out of games like this?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  2. stiggsen

stiggsen Well-Known Member

You can charge stuff over your pc's usb ports even when the pc is shut down. By charging it while the pc is off, there will be no Connection between vita and pc(the pc then is "just a charging option" and probably then you will not be kicked out of any online network. I guess.:)

zodaex likes this.
  3. zodaex

That's a pretty good suggestion. The only problem with that is I often like to have my PC on so I can use the web browser to poke at other people online to try to coax them into joining my empty Vita gaming lobbies. I'm not sure if it will work, but I just got an idea. I'll try permanently leaving my PS-TV in standby mode when i'm not using it so hopefully it's USB port can be used to charge my Vita in that state. I'll give it a try.

stiggsen likes this.
  4. William

William Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    quirowekjefhgekr (*NOT TROLLING*)
    You could try changing the connection method of CMA to use wi-fi instead of usb. I, unfortunately, cannot test this as I can't seem to replicate your issue. :/ Eh, worth a try anyways, right? :p And whenever you need to copy stuff over, you can just change the setting back. Tedious for when you frequently want to copy stuff over, but not as bad as losing your multiplayer session.

5. zodaex

This is exactly the type of fix I was hoping for, but where is this setting located within the Vita's menus? I have dug threw both the content manager app, and every branch within settings, but can't find such an option. :/

6. TriOpticon

TriOpticon Well-Known Member

I think you have to attempt to connect first with CMA, select PC then select wifi.

7. William

PSN ID:
    Pretty much this. You'll obviously have to register your PC first, but otherwise should be a straight forward process. Update us if it works, or if you still need help. :)

8. zodaex

When I select PC there is no option to select Wi-Fi. The only two options I have is to either click the "install content manager assistant" option or to back out of this screen in which case i've already been kicked out of my online game session.

9. zodaex

What does "registering my PC" mean exactly? I've never heard of such a procedure, what all does it entail? Also i've always been curious as to why the Vita shows up as a removable external disk in Windows Explorer. What is the purpose of this when CMA exists? Just to allow the Vita to directly install CMA to your computer from the Vita directly? Honestly i'd prefer to stay away from CMA for now as my main concern now is simply downloading the games from the internet onto my Vita, much less back them up. However if I need to in order to keep my Vita from kicking me out of online gaming sessions I will.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  10. Kyle

Kyle Just Some Guy Staff Member

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    Not sure why I haven't seen this thread before, but basically you're SOL.

The Vita automatically tries to connect to any device with a host, so your gaming session will be cancelled unless you're plugged into a straight up power source (ie; the wall, a battery pack).

11. zodaex

After almost giving up and ordering a usb hub for my pstv I tried a few more things and stubbornly figured out the solution. It was actually just like Tr10pt1c0n said. You have to first have the Sony Content Manager Assistant installed to your PC and link it with your Vita and then at that point I never get those disturbing pop-ups when I plug in the charge cable at any time. I'm quite happy I got this figured out as i'm not sure how safe it would have been to charge multiple devices from my pstv's one usb port with a cheap hub. :p

Jawessome likes this.
  12. William

PSN ID:
    That's actually what I meant. Sorry for the confusion. Either way, glad you figured it out. :)

Jawessome and zodaex like this.
  13. zodaex

Does the Sony Vita Content Manager for PC only allow one Vita to be registered at a time? I registered my PS-TV with CMA, and it appears to have auto-unregistered my Vita from the App and now it's not letting me re-register it again. This is causing me to get kicked out of online games again now every time I connect USB charge cable. Is that the issue now? That I have to use a different PC for each Vita I register with CMA?

14. zodaex

Ok I appear to have figured it out. CMA doesn't like to register multiple Vitas using different types of connection methods. If you register one Vita-like device over wi-fi, they all have to be registered over wi-fi. Registering one Vita via USB, and a second over wi-fi isn't tolerated.