never bought games appeared in my re-downloadable list (3DS)

Discussion in 'Nintendo Discussion' started by Simmi, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Simmi

Simmi Otome Enthusiast

Okay guys so tonight I went to check out my redownloadable games list in my nintendo eshop (3DS), just out of curiousity, and I discovered there many many games that I have never bought! And I can just download them as if I had bought them already... Also I checked those games on the eshop and they are not free at all so I don't understand why I have them in my list to download when I never ever bought them :eek::eek: I could download them all freely and play them o_O
    They are all old NES or game boy advance games such as kirby, mario kart, warioland etc.... I just don't get it o_O Any clue?

EDIT: I just checked, I got 20 virtual games that I had never seen or bought before in my redownloadable games list, and this New 3DSXL I bought brand new. Also I just checked my other 2 3DS, one has nothing in this list (perfectly normal), the other one has 2 40$ games that I never bought! And this one I bought used, so maybe the previous user bought those games and they are still registered in the console gaming list? But then why would I have the same "issue" with the one I bought brand new?! o_Oo_O

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  2. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

I'll have to look at mine soon. I didn't even realize the 3DS had a re-download list! Although I only buy digital 3DS games that are digital exclusive so i've never needed to uninstall a game for space reasons.

Simmi likes this.
  3. Simmi

Simmi Otome Enthusiast

I also never ever buy any games on the eshop, but there's a game I want to get on my EUR 3DS which never came out physically here (RF4) so I started looking around on the internet to see how reliable it was to buy on the Nintendo eshop, that's how I found out there was a re-downloadable games list, I shouldn't have any games on this list, turns out I had 20 games in my EUR console and another 2 in my NA one, games I have never ever bought o_O

Maybe people who got a used 3DS console should check, there's a chance the previous owner had bought games digitally and that those games are still available on the re-downloadable games list o_O

Also, I did more research on the matter, one guy actually brought his 3DS to a retailler (he was changing to a newer model), he had to go back to that store when he realized he couldn't re-download his digital games, so he came back to see if he could transfer his games from his old console to his new one. But the store told him they had already wiped out his console, so everything was deleted as well as his nintendo ID etc. BUT, he still asked if he could check on it, just in case, turns out the console was indeed wiped out, he had to create another account on it but when he went to the eshop all his games were still there in this list as well as his credit card information! meaning that the next person to buy this console would be able to use HIS credit card! How sketchy is that?!!

moral of the story: if you ever want to sell your 3DS, make sure to transfer your info to a new one, wiping out, reseting your console WILL NOT erase your account (games bought and credit card info)! :eek::eek:

4. TriOpticon

TriOpticon Well-Known Member

I checked my list and saw nothing unusual. If you bought a 3ds when they were first launched, didn't Nintendo give free games to those early adopters? Not sure what they were.

Simmi likes this.
  5. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

You can't buy Game Boy Advance on the 3DS BUT Nintendo gave them away to people who bought the 3DS in the first year of release as a sorry because Nintendo lowered the price a year after launch.

"The Ambassador" gift, 10 GBA and 10 NES games as a sorry gift.

Simmi likes this.
  6. Simmi

Simmi Otome Enthusiast

Weird, it seems to match although that NEW 3DS I bought not even a year ago brand new.... Or maybe this ambassador thing is attached to my Nintendo Account? because I did buy my very first 3DS on launch :eek:

Still though, it doesn't explain why when you buy a used 3DS the games bought by the previous owner as well as his credit card info are still in the console (even after wiping it out)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  7. Vita_Girl

"Or maybe this ambassador thing is attached to my Nintendo Account?"

It is indeed bound to the account.

And about previous owners, people don't wipe it propely because when they do everything is gone, including the account and all other things and secondly when fully wiped out the 3DS asks for making a new (nintendo) account.

In other words, people don't wipe it propely then.

8. Simmi

Simmi Otome Enthusiast

But when I bought my used 3DS it was wiped out, I had to create an account on it, went through all the "where do you live" process and so on, still the games were still there in the re-download list. The games you buy digitally are not attached to your ID but to the console itself, if you don't transfer all your info from one console to the other, wiping it out will not erase your eshop activity, I even get the previous owner's actvity history, when he bought those games and everything, EVEN if I created my own account when I first turned the console on.

9. Vita_Girl

I did a small research about that today.

I made a mistake, your digital game's are tied to your NNID, and your NNID is tied to your 3DS and unless you do a system transfer you will lose the games bound to your NNID... (like you said, they stay on the 3DS then)

Jeez Nintendo, my mind got a BSOD :confused::confused:

Simmi likes this.
  10. Digit

Digit Well-Known Member

Where do you see this re-downloadable list, anyway? I don't recall this ever showing up.

Simmi likes this.
  11. TriOpticon

TriOpticon Well-Known Member

From the Nintendo support site:
    • From the HOME Menu, select the Nintendo eShop icon and tap "Open."
    • Scroll left and select "Settings / Other."
    • Scroll down and select "Redownloadable Software."
    • Select "Your Downloads," located at the bottom-right of the touch screen.
    • Select "Redownload" next to the software you wish to redownload.

zodaex, Simmi and Digit like this.
  12. Simmi

Simmi Otome Enthusiast

How weird is that?! I mean how are we supposed to know that wiping it out is not enough? nintendo really needs to fix their eshop...