Nintendo NX

Discussion in 'Other Gaming Discussion' started by Flying_Pig, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Flying_Pig

Flying_Pig Well-Known Member

lesdennis likes this.
  2. lesdennis

lesdennis Well-Known Member

interesting, looks like they have given up on the home console front then...

thanks for the info!

3. Cogwheels

Cogwheels Member

Personally I think this sounds really interesting. The idea of them producing a PS4 clone was super boring to me.

If the games can upscale and look great on the TV then it's a smart move. No more would they have to produce games for 2 different systems. You'll be able to play Pokemon & Fire Emblem on the move and continue on your TV when you get home.

Japan has lost so much interest in home consoles so it's not surprising they are focusing on mobile.

I wonder how the NX version of Zelda will compare to Wii U. If they can make it look better than it will be a great PR move to demonstrate the power of the machine.

I really can't wait to see more

4. DankZaku

DankZaku Well-Known Member

Being a day one Wii-U owner I've felt burnt by Nintendo for awhile now. Other than Xenoblade, there's not very many reasons to own one, especially with Zelda: BotW going to NX. Just my opinion anyway. If they can deliver a powerful portable system that I can plug into my TV and have it looks as good/better then I would definitely be interested. Hopefully third party's will support it.

Retro Rider likes this.
  5. Colorado Rockie

Colorado Rockie Well-Known Member

I always get excited for new Nintendo hardware. Hopefully they have a new Advance Wars game in development for it. That series needs another installment.

6. DankZaku

I love my 3DS. If they give the NX that kind of support and let it double as a home console I will be very excited.
    I bought it on the VC last year and played through it again. I know Fire Emblem sells like hotcakes, but it would definitely be nice to seen Intelligent Systems go back to Advanced Wars.

7. Colorado Rockie

Colorado Rockie Well-Known Member

Yeah Fire Emblem has sold well on the 3DS. On the GBA though the 2 Advance Wars games sold much better than the 2 Fire Emblem games. On the DS Dual Strike sold well. I don't think Days of Ruin sold as much as Nintendo wanted so maybe that's why there was never a 3DS Advance wars. I blame the darker story/setting.

8. Rat King 64

Rat King 64 Well-Known Member

I was just on a Nintendo forum where the reaction to this seems to be very mixed. It depends on whether the person in question loves Nintendo handhelds or not. The handheld lovers are really excited at the prospect of having 100% of Nintendo's next gen first party games available on a portable system. The idea that they could also play those games on a TV when they are at home is a really cool bonus for that crowd. The other group (the ones who prefer home consoles) are not at all happy. They see this as Nintendo abandoning the home console business to focus on handhelds. They were hoping that NX would be like the PS4 only better and many of them are not interested in owning a portable system even if it can be used with a base station to play on an HD TV.

My personal thoughts are that I hope this is true because this is the direction that Nintendo needs to go in. Their home console business has been declining for decades. The Wii bucked the trend, but it had a very revolutionary concept (motion control) that allowed it to get the attention of the mainstream and sell well. With Wii U Nintendo was back to the trend of steadily declining sales in home consoles. If the game industry is bigger now than it has ever been and Nintendo only managed to sell 13 million Wii U systems then I think it is obvious that Nintendo needs to stop trying to compete in that market segment. They can leave Sony and Microsoft to fight over it while they establish total dominance in the handheld sector. They may lose some fans who do not like handheld game machines, but I think the risk is worth it.

Both the 3DS and the Wii U suffered dry spells when there were not many games releasing. That happened because Nintendo had to split their development staff between the two systems. The 3DS already has an amazing game lineup but imagine if the entire Wii U library was included as well. Having 100% of Nintendo's development staff focused on one platform will result in an amazing lineup of games for that system. People who love Nintendo games are not going to find what they are looking for on PS4 or Xbox One. Even if they drift away for a while they will eventually come back when the next big Mario or Zelda game is released. That is my prediction.

If NX can come out at a reasonable price ($250 - $300US) and if Nintendo can keep a steady stream of great games coming to it (especially in the launch window), then I think that it can do very well. It would satisfy their own fans and maybe even become the "other" system for PS4 and Xbox One fans. I think it would do at least as well as the 3DS (60 million plus in unit sales). It could end up being what the Vita should have been; a very powerful portable gaming device with the full support of its parent company behind it to ensure lots of AAA games.

Of course, this is all rumor until Nintendo actually unveils the NX. I just hope that these rumors are true.

PixelKnot and Colorado Rockie like this.
  9. Rat King 64

Rat King 64 Well-Known Member

I think the Advance Wars team was the one that made Code Name STEAM on 3DS. That game flopped so perhaps they will go back to Advance Wars again rather than have another go at an original IP.

Retro Rider likes this.
  10. Flying_Pig

Flying_Pig Well-Known Member

Another NX Article on Eurogamer - now ith some mock ups :)

Sounds great.

When are we going to get the NX Lounge?

11. DankZaku

I hope the controllers and separate from the hand held part and just plug into the dock or whatever. Wouldn't been too keen on them being attachable to the hand held. But I have to say those are some nice mock-ups the guy did!

12. Nonscpo

Nonscpo Well-Known Member

Best to hold off opinion on this, until I actually get to see what it looks like.

Retro Rider likes this.
  13. Retro Rider

Retro Rider Member

I doubt the NX will just be a handheld, unless it does plug into your TV like a console like the article says here. If nintendo can really pull of a home-console-like experience on a handheld than that would be amazing.

Flying_Pig likes this.
  14. Linkx41

Linkx41 The King of Hyrule

PSN ID:
    Linkx41
    The reveal must be soon...

15. Linkx41

Linkx41 The King of Hyrule

PSN ID:
    Linkx41
    But the 3DS still made money for them. So I still can't see them walking away from their handhelds, hence this fusion console. Every Nintendo console has been outsold by the handheld that was out at the time. Nintendo have repeatedly stated that their mobile games are being positioned to direct people to their consoles/games. That strategy is paying off with Pokemon GO, with evergreen titles like Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby spiking in sales. The upcoming Pokemon Moon/Sun is expected to outperform the previous 3DS installments as well. I imagine their upcoming Fire Emblem/Animal Crossing games will also do the same thing.

Flying_Pig likes this.