Official Topic Nintendo Wii U and 3DS General Discussion

Discussion in 'Other Gaming Discussion' started by Kurisutina, Jun 19, 2014.

?

Who's getting a Wii U sometime soon?

1. Right here!

10.7%
  2. I've already got one, step your game up!

75.0%
  3. Too soon...

7.1%
  4. Not interested.

7.1%
  1. Kurisutina

Kurisutina Ultimate Vita Enthusiast

PSN ID:
    Shiroyami
    I'm now shipping everyone from the awesome Digital Event, to a new bastion of hopes and dreams. This thread will be a place where Vita fans who like Nintendo, can discuss Nintendo's platforms as well as all things Nintendo, on Vita lounge. If there's a specific game you guys would like to discuss for either platform, as well as games which are on both platforms; I can get a thread made for those too. I'm also thinking of collecting people's NNIDs either in a separate thread or in this first post. For now, let's just go with it being in this first post:

Nintendo Network IDs:

• Kurisutina - KurisutinaMakise
    • lights - bringmelights
    • Yuuki - yuukiwr (3ds only)
    • Linkx41 - Link41
    • hunterslasher13 - hunterslasher13
    • Silent Angel - vSilentangel
    • STChocoEX-STChocoEX
    • Empty slot
    So, we had an amazing E3 as Nintendo fans, I'm ashamed to admit I more or less have every game pre-ordered that was showed ;-; Last time I've felt this way about a platform was Vita. Of which my backlog there is pretty ridiculous. I've just been away from Nintendo for a long time, I feel like this is the welcome home wagon. With all the titles I used to enjoy playing (Mario Party, Kart) with titles I missed out on Tokyo EAD Marios, NSMB, and more. So in my greedy approach, I'm trying to balance my budget for July/End of June. There's so much titles I want to grab right away but that's not possible depending on which WiiU I get, due to price points and such ><! Also as I've been neglecting my 3DS, I've missed out on Bravely Default, as well as getting my own copy of Fire Emblem Awakening and Shin Megami Tensei IV! Thankfully, I pre-ordered the limited version of Persona Q, as well as Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney.

So, tell me (as well as the rest of us) about your experiences with Nintendo and what games you're playing or excited to play.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    RTRSPCT likes this.
  2. RTRSPCT

RTRSPCT Well-Known Member

Great post! And thanks for making a thread available...

Looking at my former disregard for the Wii U; it had to do with the fact that I got tired of Mario. Not in the sense that they are bad games, but due to the fact that when I had a Wii I bought lots of Mario games up until the console's last vital period. I enjoyed New Super Mario Bros. Wii, but soon after that already a Wii U version was announced. So, I needed a sort of "break" from Mario (and Zelda) in order to appreciate the games again. And, yes, I regard the current titles as the best yet.

Oh, and I will tell about my almost 25 year long relationship with them later I guess. ;)

It all began in 1990 for me...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    Kurisutina likes this.
  3. DuhWhitePanda

DuhWhitePanda Well-Known Member

Had one since launch. Figured I'd play COD on it, but then Blops 2 and Ghosts sucked so the damn thing is unplugged. When X I'll be on that thing daily. Trophies/ Achievements/ Stars would compell me to play some more games on the Wii U though. I like trophies, like a fat kid loves things that'll give em diabetes.

4. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

I don't have a Wii-U but I do enjoy my 3DS. I have this one; which I will take any and all opportunities to show off:

I'm currently hoping that the Tales Cross-over SRPG gets localised, but I know I'll be getting one of the Gen3 pokemon remakes. Codename STEAM too, whenever that shows up. My favourites so far have been Project X Zone and (not surprisingly) Fire Emblem. Feed me more SRPGs please - I'm hungry =\

RTRSPCT likes this.
  5. RTRSPCT

6. Yuuki

Yuuki Loves Anime

i want to buy a wiiu, but first a new vita around xmas. Damn scratches bug the world out of me xD

7. Silent Angel

Silent Angel Active Member

So I heard Majora's Mask was getting an HD treatment?

Picked up the MK8 Wii U bundle at launch, Wind Waker from the promotion, SSB since I never played it and may buy that Pokemon Rumble game for my nephew to play tomorrow. Haven't put much time into it lately, trying to get over my current Dark Souls itch before going into WW. Unless I happen to get Mario Galaxy soon enough, or that on Wii Fire Emblem game, Radiant Dawn was it? Anyway, after the Nintendo Direct thing it looks like I've got a bit to look forward to with Splatoon, Bayonetta, Yoshi Yarn thing, SSB, Hyrule Warriors and that other mp game. Those Amiibo figures look nice enough to display too, might pick up any that look good to me. Also need to show my 3DS some love, last thing I bought for it was PKMN Conquest and I haven't even finished it :l

Well, if anyone want's to add me my ID thing is.... either x or v Silentangel... I forget...

8. Kurisutina

PSN ID:
    Shiroyami
    Thanks for the link to the interview, @RTRSPCT ! I loved it and enjoyed every word. I'm actually pretty critical of Nintendo as well, even if you guys have not witnessed such yet. However, this year, after E3 and seeing how Reggie and co are talking, seeing Miyamoto fostering younger developers, I believe that they can get back on track. I'm still not certain if I'd do another console, if I were them, I actually really like the idea of a hybrid and think it might be just what Japan needs, for example. However, Amiibo was absolutely something they should be doing, I do believe Quality of Life, while late as hell, should be done cause Nintendo can understand that more casual audience. I'm glad they continue to to reach out past their base or the base of gaming as a whole.

However, my biggest criticism, is that they still need to reach out to the hardcore gamer. The male 18-35 and in meaningful ways. I see a bit of that with Bayonetta and Devil's Third, however I'd like to see more and a wider diversity. It would be interesting to see them try a Quantic Dream approach, except with good game play lol. I'd like to see them do at least one or two cinematic experiences that are different from the ordinary. And then of course, catch up their online experiences and ecosystem experiences as well. I'm sure there are even genres which haven't emerged yet that they could think of as well. Though it's going to be tough without third parties, I noticed Reggie spoke a lot about Ubisoft, so I suspect they're trying to work on either wooing them back into more titles, or perhaps doing some collaborative productions or something. I think Ubisoft is a nice fit on Nintendo platforms and when they treat the base right, they get their rewards.

Ah well, back to hunting down the best deal xD I'm really craving that Mario itch, though I think it might just be an overall Nintendo itch that I must scratch in my gaming experience. It's been missing for a long time and Gamecube especially didn't really do it for me. I know my SNES sure did ugh, I miss 3rd party on Nintendo =( If Nintendo only went around to all Japanese 3rd parties at least, I'd be satisfied, since Japanese 3rd party is where my heart lies, primarily.

9. Yuuki

Yuuki Loves Anime

my nintendo network id is yuukiwr (3ds only sofar)

10. nok1888

nok1888 Member

Im looking to get a wii u at Xmas hopefully ill be able to pick up a zelda one. After E3 Nintendos rrally backing up and pushing the Wii U. Only thing I was disappointed with was no announcement for Majoras Mask 3ds

11. MrAlsVita

MrAlsVita Well-Known Member

I bought my Wii U when the Zombie U bundle came out.

12. Linkx41

Linkx41 The King of Hyrule

PSN ID:
    Linkx41
    Link41 is my Nintendo Network ID, if you are going to add me though just let me know that you are from TVL.

13. hunterslasher13

hunterslasher13 Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    hunterslasher27
    I got my Wii U(windwaker HD bundle) in December when it was on sale for $250. My NNID is my username on here(hunterslasher13).

14. lights

lights Well-Known Member

Kurisutina likes this.
  15. Kurisutina

PSN ID:
    Shiroyami
    That's awesome news! Lately between my bouts of bad sleep, I've been playing Bravely Default, well the demo anyway. I'm trying to finish it completely so that when I've got a little down time in game purchases, I can pick up the full game for my 3DS. Most likely August will be that time, though I don't want to pick up too many titles that month, as there's other (non-gaming) things to buy xD! Also an update, I've updated the opening post. @Silent Angel is it a v or an x there, want to get that confirmation so I can add you in the opening post. I've got a small but obviously important struggle to overcome in the interim of getting my own WiiU. I've been all handheld since end of 2013 as I've been moving all over. Now that I've settled down, I need to get a TV. Problem is my budget of getting a WiiU and key titles I want, conflict with the price of TVs I've been seeing. So I'm trying to figure out how to make it work, since I obviously will need a TV. What TVs are everyone playing on and any helps finding an (affordable) HDTV would be greatly appreciated. That or a good sale on WiiU's, one of the prices needs to go down enough to fit them both in.

16. RTRSPCT

EDIT:

2 MILLION COPIES OF MARIO KART 8 HAVE REPORTEDLY BEEN SOLD
    Source: IGN via NeoGAF

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    Kurisutina likes this.
  17. RTRSPCT

Miyamoto Thinks That Nintendo Are in a Genre of Their Own

18. Kurisutina

PSN ID:
    Shiroyami
    I believe Retro and Monolith could make those experiences though but the general/original studios have a different culture for sure. I also believe that if Nintendo did want to compete in that space, they could partner up or find a good upcoming team to tackle such games, while still preserving their quality. It does make me think that Nintendo tends to just raise people up, without actually providing for them during one or two segments of their lives. I'm back at least but that doesn't mean that all my needs are satisfied or anything. That's probably why I don't think I'd ever be stuck to one platform. Oh missed the edit on your earlier post @RTRSPCT. 2 million copies of MK8 sold, excellent. I also had to settle down and watch the Captain Toad video from GameXplain and I really might subscribe to them once I sort out my google accounts. If I wasn't hyped for Captain Toad before (I've got it pre-ordered), it's on a whole new level now. Captain Toad is best Toad now <3 (even though he can't jump lol)

19. Silent Angel

Silent Angel Active Member

vSilentangel wasn't sure how to check before lol.

20. Kurisutina

PSN ID:
    Shiroyami
    Thank you =3 So uh I kind of had some needed purchases this month, which were unexpected due to me being, lackidasical I guess? I dunno, I was probably trying to stretch a few older purchases too far. So I replaced a lot of the old stuff but now I'm a bit short budget wise. Worse, I'm craving some experiences on Wii that I missed, so I've been thinking of just picking up a massive Wii Bundle and grabbing a Refurb WiiU from Nintendo end of the month OR saving my money, grabbing a few Wii titles on the cheap/accessories, then getting the WiiU closer to the end of the month. I dunno, I just wanna play Nintendo games D= The craving is so strong @_@ but my budget is...not as willing (well it was willing before >>). Any advice guys =3?

21. Vencoris

Vencoris Member

If you are accustomed to handhelds you may find you are just fine with the WiiU's off-tv play.

Looking back on all of my WiiU play probably ~5-10% of it was on the TV, the rest was using the gamepad, and I had no problem with it (being predominately a handheld console gamer these days may have left me with odd predispositions though).

Not saying you shouldn't buy a TV, but you may be able to wait for a sale on a good one rather than just rushing out to get it at the same time as the WiiU.

22. Vencoris

Vencoris Member

There are certainly some good experiences on the Wii if you never had one, here are some of my personal favorites and backlog which I still have set up alongside my WiiU games:

Mario Galaxy
    Mario Galaxy 2
    Xenoblade Chronicles
    Metroid Trilogy
    Super Paper Mario
    Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Zelda: Skyward Sword
    Super Smash Bros (may want to wait for WiiU version though)

These Wii games can still hold their own, when I do get TV time I'm more likely to catch up on my Wii backlog (see post above) than play something on the WiiU.

As for getting just a Wii to play before the WiiU, the accessories are all compatible so you'd just be out the cost of the console. However, if you do end up getting a nice TV I'd strongly suggest playing Wii games on a WiiU as there is less image bleeding with the HDMI out vs the composite or component cables of the Wii.

23. Kurisutina

PSN ID:
    Shiroyami
    Woo, excellent advice and such @Vencoris! I was sooo close to getting the Mario and Luigi U bundle for $250. Now I have to settle for $300 + Pro Controller and that's if the person agrees. Alt, I see a Mario Kart 8 bundle, with NSMBU and Marvel Heroes for $300, so it's just a case of whom I make a deal with this week. I get paid thursday and by golly if I don't spend anything this week, then it's staying in my bank account until end of the month where I definitely pick up a Refurb + Wii mote Plus/Nunchuck combo from Nintendo directly. Sigh, the struggle, it's real! Oh, uh @Vencoris you mentioned Off-TV play, is it possible to boot the Wii U up completely without a TV and thus enjoy games with Off TV play enabled? I know NSMBU for example allows you to do Off TV, so I could totally get away with that till end of the month ^^ Also all the titles you mentioned for Wii, are precisely the ones I've been looking to play (besides Wii U). I had a Wii back in that gen but I only played the casual game experiences like Wii Sports and Wii Fit, with the exception of Super Paper Mario, that was fun. I didn't really like the controls in Twilight Princess, I think I'd have preferred the GC version. Other than that,I missed out on a ton.

24. Linkx41

Linkx41 The King of Hyrule

PSN ID:
    Linkx41
    You can play Wii games on the GamePad

25. RTRSPCT