#NoGamez

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by Ficta_Scriptor, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Ficta_Scriptor

Ficta_Scriptor Well-Known Member

Awakening from my slumber, I pause to look at the handheld at my bedside, its once revolutionary OLED screen now but a coffee coaster. I pick up my 2015 diary and scribble 'No games,' the same message echoed throughout each and every page from start to finish. In the notes section, nothing but a blank space under the title of 'Upcoming Releases.'

I drag myself out of bed and consider how I should spend the day. I think of getting the platinum on Golden Abyss for the fifth time in a row, or perhaps downloading a forgotten PSP title, or taking a look at the only Vita release to make it out of Japan alive in the past six months, 'Super Hentai Warriors 3: Onii-Chan Love MAX - Barely Legal Edition.' Within minutes I collapse to the floor and burst into tears, clawing at my face until I bleed. This is my life now. This is my curse. This is the destiny of a Vita gamer...

Of course, this is all nonsense. As someone who actively plays my Vita far more than any of my other systems, I simply NEED the Vita in my life, and I'm guessing that many of you also share my sentiment. I play it almost every day, even at work, and I feel like I've transitioned into a full-on handheld fanatic.

So it often gets to me when the system is continually referred to as 'dead' in the gaming community by those who are convinced that the system just isn't getting any games besides the odd indie release. I see people claim that there'd need to be more exclusives on the system before they bought it, while simultaneously crying foul when exclusives come to the system and aren't playable on their preferred platform. I see people scoffing at GOTY videos, saying they're surprised the Vita even had 5 games to nominate.

No games. And yet, my collection keeps growing. Do I think the software line-up could have been better? Sure. It would've certainly been nice to see more effort on Sony's part, and to have had certain studios working specifically on Vita titles, just like Ready At Dawn did during the PSP era. But even with that taken into account, I still absolutely love my Vita.

So what do you think about this treatment that the Vita receives? Is it justified at all? What experiences have you had with dissenters when talking about the Vita? Do you play your Vita as much as your other systems? Do you own no games at all? I just thought this would be an interesting subject. :)

2. shadowman

shadowman Well-Known Member

My Vita gets used more than any other system these days. Its the pick up and play factor that wins it for me. I can blast through a few levels of my chosen game and then take a break and do something else, returning later jumping straight back into the game thanks to the suspend/resume feature that works so well on the platform (instantly getting back in the game is a huge plus).

First party support sucks now, but I'm used to it unfortunately. I tend to believe that the launch line up was ace though - in comparison to the 3DS or even PS3/PS4 which had a couple of half decent games I wanted, Vita had stuff like Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3, Virtua Tennis, Rayman Origins, Shinobido II, Ridge Racer (I liked it!), Blazblue, Uncharted, Wipeout and many more. In retrospect I think its one of the most solid launch lineups, I spent a load at launch on physical games (and a bit on digital only stuff) and never looked back. While many of the above titles are ports, its important to note that many of them (Marvel, Rayman, Virtua Tennis) were bloody brilliant ports AND its a portable handheld. Show me another way to play Marvel Vs Capcom on a handheld, with excellent controls, silky smooth animations (and trophy support!).

Then again, while certain companies no longer support the system, I am loving the growing trend of Asian English games getting released not to mention oddities like Danganrompa or Steinsgate actually getting translated. Throw in lots of awesome indie platformers that I love on the system (and the Vita is my preferred system for indie stuff) and I pretty much have my favourite platform.

3. Conor McKenna

Conor McKenna Member

That would be the only game I needed! ;) I agree with your sentiments though, saying Vita is "dead" or has no games is just flogging a "Vita horse" now (too soon?). Vita had some amazing releases last year, and 2016 is looking pretty strong too! Digimon, YIIK, Assassin's Creed, and more! Some of course are on other platforms, but that shouldn't devalue how great they are on the Vita like some people make it out to be.

All I know is I'll still be hooked on my Vita for a long time to come, and I could care less about what anyone's opinion of it is. I love it!

Flying_Pig and Techup like this.
  4. SasukeTheRipper

SasukeTheRipper Well-Known Member

I am still hooked to my PS Vita. Of course, there is hardly any support by Sony, but I don't care that much anyway. Bandai Namco (One Piece, Digimon, God Eater, ...) is doing pretty well right know and there are also some other developers who make good games that are coming to the PS Vita. I am exited for World of Final Fantasy and I am hoping for a western release of Toukiden 2.

5. Ficta_Scriptor

Yep, this is a big thing for me as well. I love being able to stop and start at will. As someone who regularly plays Vita at work, it's great to be able to play for a short while and simply continue where I left off when I get home. Plus there's the ability to play games in the morning before I'm even out of bed. :p

"Flogging a Vita horse?" Cheeky git! ;)

Your point about multiplatform Vita games not being devalued simply for being on other platforms is a good one. So many people use that as an excuse to downplay the Vita's worth, despite the fact that having a handheld version of a game is, in itself, a major plus. Years ago the idea of a handheld port being as good as the console version was a laughable concept. And now that we're finally seeing parity, that's still somehow a bad thing?

As a side note, on the subject of people dismissing the Vita as 'dead' and claiming that all its exclusives should just come to PS4 out of principle because 'bigger audience is better for devs, they can just change it a little and port them' they seem to forget that the 3DS has currently sold more than the PS4 and XBO combined and would probably make for an easier platform to port to given the touch screen and no need for HD remastering. So if they really care about games having a bigger audience, they'd want it on 3DS. Oh wait no, because they want it on the system that they own. Silly me. ;)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    Kirito, Conor McKenna and Flying_Pig like this.
  6. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

Who is "they"?

7. Ficta_Scriptor

I'm not sure which part you're referring to. The people who say the Vita has no games? The people who say the Vita's exclusives should all be ported to PS4 out of 'principle' when really they just want to play them and are annoyed that they can't? The people who dismiss Vita's multiplatform titles even if they've achieved parity?

The simple answer to all those questions is... They are them. The people who say such things are those people. They do exist. Or do they? Only they can prove to you that they exist. Or can they? :confused:

Anyway, I'm just listing things that people have said online about the Vita, and I'm sure there's more that I haven't heard. So many Vita haters! Why can't they see the light? :(

8. vita_lover

vita_lover Well-Known Member

2016 looks pretty solid so far. I'd say the future looks very solid so far. I've got lots of games to buy anyway.

Kirito and FrameHallofFame like this.
  9. 2048Dan

2048Dan Well-Known Member

:D:D

I don't really care anymore what other people think. I read/watch/listen to a lot of gaming media, and whenever someone who should know a lot about games dismiss the Vita as dead, then I know not to trust that persons opinion about anything, because he obviously doesn't have a clue.

I play my Vita more than any other console I own, or my PC. Handheld gaming just fits me I suppose.

Believe it or not, I think Sony is doing ok given the current situation. Sure they could lower the memory card prices etc etc, but they are actively helping developers bringing games to the platform as well, so it's not all bad.

I have 70+ physical games, and that number will go up fast because there is some really good stuff coming up in 2016!

Kirito likes this.
  10. Gotrek Gurnisson

Gotrek Gurnisson Well-Known Member

Between the backlog, games I want to purchase and of course upcoming releases, I'm pretty sure i will be set with my vita for another few years at least.

I generally don't care what people are saying about the system. Haters gonna hate I suppose. Might just be jealousy towards this fantastic piece of hardware ;)

Kirito and Flying_Pig like this.
  11. Darkknezz

Darkknezz Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    DarkScollo
    My backlog is huge, I mean DONALD TRUMP UUUGE. And there is a bunch of upcoming releases I'm looking forward to.

Kirito and Gotrek Gurnisson like this.
  12. Mateus

Mateus Active Member

#NoGamez is a bad joke told by unfunny and uniformed people. I'm a Vita player since 2012 and stay hooked with the console. Even in my childhood and adolescence, when I had more time available, I never played so much in a console/portable. Generally, I give a shit if a game is a AAA title, exclusive or whatever it is that the people value... I only want good games, and in this department Vita is great!

Now, excuse me that I will play my daily dose of #NoGamez play.

Hakaider and Gotrek Gurnisson like this.
  13. Flying_Pig

Flying_Pig Well-Known Member

The quality of games on the Vita is pretty impressive - even though I play it almost every day, my immediate backlog includes Volume, Bastion, Shovel Knight and Persona 4 Golden :D

Gotrek Gurnisson likes this.
  14. Conquered Worlds

Conquered Worlds New Member

I don't see the point in the Vita, it's just games everybody already bought on Steam/PS4.

That sort of argument drives me nuts, both the way they talk for other people (epically those without those systems) and ignoring the portable aspect, I'm sure their fancy gaming PC is great but you can't really play it on a bus.

Many people prefer to play certain games in handheld form, especially if those can be described as indie, 2D, grindy, puzzle, VN's or JRPGS. That's before you get to games not on other systems, even indies like TxK. Or a preference for the Vita's d-pad. Or the benefits of suspend/resume. Or...

Although that attitude is not unique to Vita, some people really hate handhelds and seemingly never tire of telling everybody. It leads to all sorts of half-truths and inaccuracies taking hold, most commonly that the PSP was a great big failure.

All that said I agree with some comments, mostly the price of the stupid propriety memory cards and the disappointing lack of certain genres/franchises that you could have assumed would be there judging by it's predecessor (mostly GTA). At least Square have woken up.

Kirito likes this.
  15. Kirito

Kirito Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    Krolonze
    Dude same here.
    I gotta stop I'm at 30 physical & 15 digital
    I think I'm good!

16. Darkknezz

PSN ID:
    DarkScollo
    I think I just passed 65 physical today with Akiba and have over a hundred digitally smh

Gotrek Gurnisson and Kirito like this.
  17. Kirito

Kirito Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    Krolonze
    Hahaha
    That's awesome
    I feel better

Darkknezz likes this.
  18. Kirito

Kirito Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    Krolonze
    YA man, I don't get it.
    Me and my sons have every system and I genuinely prefer the VITA. I can play as little or as much so seemlessly with my life.
    I love my OLED but my slim has a super long standby battery life so jumping right where I left off isn't a problem and if it dies I'm still back where it died. It's like a little UNIX OS! It's a beautifully aesthetically designed piece of entertainment I will be interested in for a long time. People around me at work have been buying them now! So who knows maybe 2016 will be a great year for the Vita!

19. Ficta_Scriptor

I wish I could get more people I know to buy a Vita, but I don't think it's going to happen. A lot of people seem to be moving away from handhelds. Then again, since I quite often play in the canteen at work, maybe certain people see me and think, "Hmm, I might look into getting one of those." I can only dream, however, as I've never met another Vita owner in real life. :(

Kirito likes this.
  20. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

I have only ever met one other Vita owner in real life before, and he pretty much told me he only picked it up when he bought his PS4, but he never ever plays it, ans hasn't bought a game for it since 2012. :/ I sometimes mention some of the great Vita games i'm currently playing to entice him to get some but he seems content with only gaming on the PS4 sadly.

Kirito likes this.
  21. Darkknezz

PSN ID:
    DarkScollo
    Sadly, I've never met another vita owner

22. Kirito

Kirito Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    Krolonze
    I know quite a few and it's funny how enthusiastic they are for it.
    They do exist! Haha

23. vita_lover

vita_lover Well-Known Member

I have met another VITA owner - at a restaurant, she had a white VITA and just loved it!

24. Akros

Akros Well-Known Member

Vita owners are like mythical creatures.
    We only exist on the Internet.

25. SasukeTheRipper

SasukeTheRipper Well-Known Member

I don't know a single person with a PS Vita :(