Omega Labyrinth Z English Release 2018

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita Games' started by Digit, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Akros

Akros Well-Known Member

So it may seem, but 18 is considered adulthood in most countries by law, that's why it's a more fitting criteria than just a word.

If someone is mature enough to play certain games, so it is to consume adult only content, yet in the american rating system the concept is not inclusive.

2. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

Legal rules are, in my opinion, subject to the exact same criticism. There at least they have the pragmatic consideration of having to draw lines easily, because 'mature enough to drink' is just an impossible thing to judge at a glance, but '18 or older' is identifiable by an ID card. It's only because of that that they get a pass.
    When it comes to games, movies and other entertainment, the same doesn't hold.

In what way does it not hold? I think they just have an extra line of division here, where somebody may be old enough to have certain suggestive content, but perhaps not to just be exposed to the fully explicit act. It's so much more inclusive, because it is about rich descriptive terms that you can interpret, whereas the age ratings are just semi-arbitrary (again, referring to laws is just not an argument, those are just subject to the same criticism and are just as arbitrary) and just do not map onto the largest part of the population. Most people will be 'mature enough' for PEGI 18+ content either before or after 18. The term Mature accounts for this: if you're mature enough for Mature, then it's cool, but 18+ just doesn't. It also doesn't really convey much of a message to parents (for whom it is of course mostly intended), as often they still try to 'translate' these age ratings in exactly the type of rich descriptive terms of stages in a child's developmental process that the ESRB uses anyway.

But putting this aside for now, ninty72 HELL YEAH I would play that!! I was psyched when they made the april fools' joke about Sayuri (and not just Jasmine) being in Senran Kagura PBS, and not because that's my thing or something. Of course, the actual character designs do matter. I mean, would you still play GTA if it involved pre-schoolers instead? Maybe, but it can barely be called the same game still. But still, if someone made what looks to be a fun, joke-filled dungeon crawlers in which we play as obaa-chans wanting to get the holy grail to... pfffft... help their back pains? I'd be TOTALLY up for that!!

3. DankZaku

DankZaku Well-Known Member

I would 100% play GTA if it was Rugrats style with preschoolers. Stealing big wheels from other kids and doing coop cookies heists. Beating people up for candy and use it for currency to upgrade my weapons lol.

warwolf, sean, TheAtom and 3 others like this.
  4. zodaex

zodaex Blow monsters with all new weapons

OMG I need to get into GTAV modding hahah.

5. TheAtom

It was only after writing that I thought: DAMN that sounds fun!! And then I added the "but it can barely be called the same game still" thing...

6. Rattlebag

Rattlebag Member

DojoDan likes this.
  7. Akros

Akros Well-Known Member

I don't get Pqube. They had everythimg more than ready and decided to throw it all way.
    For fucks sake. Ignore the rating boards, sell the game online or simply label it adult only. It's not like a 5 year old was gonna ve interested on it anyways.

8. Digit

Digit Well-Known Member

I don't think it was PQube that threw it away - Sony simply said no, and since they print the carts, there's nothing PQube can do.

9. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

You know Sony could sue them for that if Sony clearly said no.

10. Akros

Akros Well-Known Member

As far as I remember it was mostly an issue with rating boards, but oh well, this is all part of the bullshit imposed in console gaming and the makers bullshit policy, reason why adult only games are only on pc.

11. Vitaful Mike

Vitaful Mike Well-Known Member

While we are on topic, looks like D3 Publisher has announced the next sequel to the Omega series call, Omega Labyrinth Life.

[​IMG]

Here some scans from the latest Famitsu magazine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks like another RPG game that tasks the players to increase girl's bust sizes using something called the mysterious “Omega Power” which you obtain from exploring the dungeons.

[​IMG]

The game will be released exclusively to Switch some time next year.

Source link: http://www.siliconera.com/2018/09/11/omega-labyrinth-life-announced-for-nintendo-switch/

TheAtom and zodaex like this.
  12. TheAtom

A Steam release should've been okay though, right? At least legally, that is. I'm pretty sure PQube didn't want to go that route after all of the struggle that the PSN version was, or just didn't deem it viable, with all the extra QA that needs to happen.

It was indeed Sony that personally blocked it. Rating boards were cool with it (except for Germany and Australia iirc).

But thanks Vitaful Mike ! I saw it on Siliconera as well. The scans you shared are promising! New characters (although I haven't played the first two to know whether I'd be bored of them yet xD) but the same idea! Awesome! Let's hope H2 Interactive (the publisher of the Asian version of Omega Labyrinth, as well as the publisher that brought Bullet Girls: Phantasia in English) will consider Bullet Girls: Phantasia enough of a success with the English language group that it's worth to delve into another similar project!

13. AJ77

AJ77 Well-Known Member

The ratings boards werent ‘cool with it’! Hence why it got banned from numorous countries.

And of course Sony said no lol the game got refused a rating, why on earth makes you think they would break the law and publish because Pqube want them to!?

The Switch version will be banned if it has the same content, if they have any sense they will remove parts and get a western release,

14. TheAtom

That's the thing with ratings boards and regions though, they're not connected. Sony was okay with it in Japan and Asia, and PEGI and ESRB were cool with it as well. Only the ratings boards from Germany (USK) and, iirc, Australia (ACB?) banned it.

That also happened to Valkyrie Drive and Australia even banned MeiQ, which released just fine.

So yeah, if we're talking about any Western release at all, enough ratings boards were cool with it. Sony just wasn't. There wouldn't have been any legal issue, or else Valkyrie Drive and MeiQ are illegal by that same logic.

If they have any sense, they'll avoid the shitshow of doing even the most minor of editing (because it'll be a shitshow for the 'fans'), and give us an AE release like they did Bullet Girls, as I said above. :D

15. Vita_Girl

Ehm PEGI (18+) and ESRB (Mature) did rate the game so releasing it would be legal as long not in Germany, Australia, New Zealand and UK.

Which except UK already happens a lot, Aus and NZ ban a lot of games and Germany have their own rating board.

Meanwhile they can always release it on PC in the future.

TheAtom likes this.
  16. lesdennis

lesdennis Well-Known Member

That's just the thing though; it was refused a UK Certificate, which is the first time since Manhunt 2 back in 2007.

It was a good 6 or so weeks after the UK refusal that the European version was completely canned (well we speculated for a long time thereafter).

Presumably this was when the game was sent to Sony prior to manufacture, I'm pretty sure they are aware if a country refuses a game a certification it's not actually going to stop people from purchasing it.

Play-Asia were actively promoting the fact that UK buyers can buy it from them;

So by Sony flat out refusing they've effectively stomped out an english language version of this game.

Honestly from playing the japanese version for about an hour, I can understand why it was refused in the UK; in Omega Labyrinth Z the characters are noticably very young and whilst the mini games are slightly entertaining; it does also 'feel' very WRONG. I haven't actually got that far in the game yet..... but it's not really fair to compare this game to Valkyrie Drive

(and that's coming a fully certified Senran Kagura fan with Hibari as my avatar..... oh dear!! I do sound such a hypocrite)

17. Vita_Girl

I'm mostly against censoring games, but I wouldn't mind it if they removed those "mini games" so they could release it over here.

What I wonder more is why the US version was also canceled.

18. lesdennis

To be fair, by banning this game the certification companies have pretty much admitted their certifications don't mean sh*t

The main reason for it being refused in the UK was because that this game is of a sexual nature, but also appears to be attractive to children so it was simply refused a certification........

I am personally against censoring games, I would rather see things as they were originaly intended, but unfortunately in the UK the age rating system doesn't really serve as well as it should, parents letting their kids play games they shouldn't are the actual problem... kids in schools are bullied due to the fact their parents don't allow them to play GTA5....

I am aware of some 8 year olds that are allowed to play GTA5, it is the game all the little kids want to play, so creating a stink over a game with a small adult playerbase is kinda stuiped, this is evidenced by the fact GTA5 has sold consistently for the past 5 years all the youngsters want to play this game, not Omega Labyrinth Z

However I can understand the UK refusing this game to be allowed on the shelf of Game or whatever, simply because they don't have faith in the UK public to not allow this game to get into the hands of young children, as evidenced by GTA5

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    TheAtom likes this.
  19. Vitaful Mike

Vitaful Mike Well-Known Member

Grrr.... :mad:

Just to add salt into the wounds, PQube has showed us what their Omega Labyrinth Z Limited Edition (cleverly named the 'Mammary Maze Edition) would have looked like had Phony not intervened.

Firstly, it looks like PQube would have provided multiple covers (or reversible) for the games.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And the main feature here is the Special Edition.

As you can see below would have contained; the both the PS4 and Vita game, the official art-book, something called a Massaged Prawn, a key-ring of an Inu named Bellona, the Collector’s Box and a padded mouse of Rio (which you can stilled order from Rice Digital's online store via this link: https://www.ricedigital.co.uk/store/omega-labyrinth-z-3d-mouse-mat)

[​IMG]

As a saying goes, "Time heals almost everything. But when you are healed, you are too old to enjoy." ~Sigh:(

Source Link: http://www.siliconera.com/2018/09/1...a-labyrinth-z-special-edition-that-never-was/

zodaex likes this.
  20. TheAtom

lesdennis I forgot this time the UK joined in! That does separate it from Valkyrie Drive indeed. With you saying that it feels wrong, I wonder if I would've wanted to play it anyway, unless they were skippable or if the minigames would be far and between. Bullet Girls' minigames are all skippable for example, which just leaves a really fun third person shooter/brawler hybrid.

What is the UK's ratings board though? I know continental Europe (save Germany) has PEGI, which was okay with the game (I'm guessing 18+, but that is still okay with it).

But the reason is indeed the most curious part of it all, as it indeed really just shows we need stronger enforcement of the age rating system, rather than anything else. The reason was not that the minigames feel wrong (as they may do nonetheless), that some of the characters are very young (as they may look to be), but that the visuals would be attractive to children and that children would get a wrong idea of what healthy sexual relations are. Wait, what?

And it's exactly as you say, almost every time I'm in a game store there is some mom with a 6-10 year old kid buying him Call of Duty, GTA, or Mafia III or whatever other gangster/hyperviolent game you can imagine. Why do we allow that? We don't allow it with alcohol or tabacco even when it's clearly intended for the father. Why do we allow it when the product is clearly meant for the child?

If we fix that, require ID for purchases like these, then the UK would've been fine with Omega Labyrinth.

Nonetheless, the question remains, as Vita_Girl said, why did Sony block it in the US, when the ESRB was okay with it? And, by extension, why did Sony block it in the rest of continental Europe, like the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Spain, etc.?

Vitaful Mike Really? Salt? I find it really nice to see personally. I definitely wouldn't have gotten it myself, but I find it really nice to see that they really did work on it, and that they tried, prepared things for release, everything, but that it was stopped by others. It feels good, personally. :D

21. Rattlebag

Rattlebag Member

22. TheAtom

Ah okay, nah, that changes things. It's the loli thing as usual.

Now if only we could change Japan's entire beauty ideal that peaks at high school and cause them to concentrate more on mature characters, we'd be set. Seems simple enough!

23. Vita_Girl

Meanwhile Japan censored gore and blood in western games and nobody complains.

To be honest all these articles including that one have 1 thing in common, they complain about "promoting the sexualisation of children" because we western people see it that way while the japanese don't.

Maybe the western people themself are the problem here, their assumptions based on western culture is more important for them than what the facts are, truth is that the japanese culture is very different from ours but every single time there are western people complaining about such games being "oversexualized" , without even doing research how japanese people see it, because over there barely anybody sees such games in that way.

Maybe it's better if we never get any japanese games at all in the west, and that they always have a extra english language option for importers.

sarcasme mode on

Because then we keep our "child friendly" games like GTA and CoD where sex, drugs and murdering are totally fine, that much fine that even parents ignore the 18+ rating and buy these games for their clearly under 18 children.

sarcasm mode off

(and that is these parents their own problem, but don't you dare to complain about anime games then because they are niche for a reason)

I didn't like that "special" mode in Omega Labyrinth Z and in all honesty if they removed it for the western market just that a release would be possible, I wouldn't miss it in this specific case (regularly I am against censoring stuff in games).

But no, the game got banned because the usual countries (germany, australia, new zealand) complained + UK (which is a rare thing to start with) even while the game was already rated in both the US and EU, because they (these 4 countries) were afraid children would buy such game...

Well I need to find a child buying such games, never seen one in my life and if kids played ANY anime looking games it was Pokémon, Dragon Ball or Naruto, in other words the usual anime based games they showed on TV.

But I've seen enough adults buying such games, not only that but I still need to find one that buys and plays such games because he or she is a pervert.

sigh...

Nothing to do about this, it sucks but luckily it's just one game and not a bunch of them.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018 at 8:52 PM
    lesdennis likes this.
  24. lesdennis

here's the official UK certification statement on the game's refusal of a certification;

https://videostandards.org.uk/ratingboard/featured.html

That's the perfect solution to the problem, just release a patch for the jap version a few months later with english language, it's not illegal to import a game that's refused a certification.

Japan wouldn't even need to create other region games, just release and supply language patches later, adult's can import the game freely and kids can't convince mom or dad to buy it from Game or wherever

(japan get all the sales money, we get none)

That's the crazy thing though, anime was predominantly adult, then the japanese ended up bending to westerners and creating kids anime; Naruto etc

Now we have a situation whereby the Japanese want to release an 'adult' game but the westerners are refusing because it will appeal to children. Because it's Anime...

You hit the nail on the head right there!

25. AJ77

AJ77 Well-Known Member

Why is it ‘western people’ the problem? Its not assumptions, we have certain laws, the east has their laws, both are totally different cultures in some ways, other counties stone women in the street, being gay is illegal etc doesn't mean all cultures are correct, only the way we see them from our own culture.

The fact is games like this are too close to Eastern culture to expect these games to get released in the west, i think people should respect rating boards in each country, they are there to protect their citizens viewings after all.