Physical vs Digital?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by Stryfe, Jan 4, 2015.

1. willow514

willow514 Well-Known Member

I am all for digital gaming but still collect physical versions. I have filled my 64GB card up a couple times if that shows you how much I like digital games. But I still think having physical copies of a game is important because that digital version may not alway be available online. Yes, you can backup your Vita games on your PS3 and PC but what if the hard drive fails? I like to go back and play old games (NES, SNES, Sega, etc) and I know not everyone is like that but I feel having that physical version gives you a better opportunity at having access to that game in the future.

2. comeoutpunching

comeoutpunching Well-Known Member

I love and prefer physical but not to the exclusion of digital. To me the perfect union would be access to a digital version with every physical copy. DVD / blu ray has experimented with this but I know they're more desperate to push physical with most of their customers' digital options being streaming rather than purchasing.

Everyone has described the benefits of physical pretty well. For me I fear losing access to digital games and services. (The recent retirement of Nintendo wi-fi serves as a sobering reminder of these realities.) What if Sony declared bankruptcy in 5 years, taking PSN with it? I'd just dust off my blue boxes while others make a run for marked up 64gb cards :)

Jordy likes this.
  3. Jordy

Jordy Well-Known Member

Physical for me video games wise. The thrill of being able to pack your shelves with a physical collection of video games. Sometimes games get discontinued digitally such as Ultimate Marvel Versus Capcom 3. Hold on to it for 10 more years and you probably will have a rare game sitting on your hands

4. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

I used to be only for physical, 100%...but for over 3 years now, and I know we're discussing Vita games here but in regards to Android games, I've really embraced digital purely for the convenience of having my whole collection in the palm of my hands.

5. Goro

Goro Well-Known Member

There are certain games where I really want a physical copy in my collection and there are others where a digital copy on sale is fine. Games that I see as "Classics" and among the best on the consoles are generally what I feel I need physical copies of. If the price for the digital copy is low enough then I might settle for it too like with PS1 and PS2 games on PSN when they go on sale.

6. Rat King 64

Rat King 64 Well-Known Member

I prefer physical copies for big games like RPGs or adventure games that I will sink a lot of time into for a while and then not play again for a long time (if ever). I prefer downloads for games that I will play often such as puzzle games or racing games. I never know when I will decide that I want a quick game so its nice to have it on the memory card all the time.

Sometimes the cost of a physical copy will be too high. For example, I would love to get a physical copy of Tales of Hearts R, but so far it seems that I would have to pay at least $60 Cdn (shipping included) to get one. The same game is available on the PSN for $30. Do I really want to pay twice as much just to have the game card? Probably not.

7. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

I have a couple of copies of R.

8. SasukeTheRipper

SasukeTheRipper Well-Known Member

Physical all the way!
    I don't like spending money on digital games.

9. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

Another positive about digital is that you can invisibly take it anywhere in the world.

10. AleSpex

AleSpex New Member

Digital versions are usually cheaper, you can play them wherever and whenever you want and you won't have the problem of taking 677686 cartridge boxes with you.

Buuuuuuuut..... Nonetheless, I will always prefer retail versions, they are just so lovable.
    The fact that you can touch the box, insert the cartridge in the Vita and have a shelf full of games are important things to me, I can't help but to accept it and research retail copies all over the world like a bloodthirster hound.

I admit that this is nonsense but... yeah, that's just how it is.

11. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

^ Mate, you should always say physical.

12. Celanson

Celanson Active Member

Physical as much as possible. I only pick up a digital copy after reading every review I can find and knowing without a doubt that it's a game I'll enjoy playing. I tend to shy away from digital games that have mega gb as a download, though.

13. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

Kyonko likes this.
  14. leafstalker

leafstalker Active Member

I am a digital kind of guy. That being said I will buy a physical copy if...

I don't think the game will have replay value (resale)
    I am unsure if I will like it (used and returnable)
    Or if it's cheaper used...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  15. coachjjs75

coachjjs75 Well-Known Member

for me " digital" just because where I live there really no place to find vita games. so I just d-load from the psn store

16. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

Where do you live anyway? Maybe try importing or ebaybuying?

17. coachjjs75

coachjjs75 Well-Known Member

far east Quebec Canada ..... aka Bum F@$# Nowhere ... well I have to drive one hour to see a "w-mart" and 3 hour to see a EB Games ... aka " g,,,-stop" so it easy for my to d-load.... but " Maybe try importing or ebaybuying? " that what I starting to look into :)

SONY likes this.
  18. Kyonko

Kyonko Member

Definitely physical, but I do like digital from time to time, with PS Plus its great to test out a game (Dragon Crown was a good one)

Blaze8937 likes this.
  19. Blaze8937

Blaze8937 Member

I honestly prefer physical games. Depending on the game, I will pick it up digitally such as atelier totori since that came out digitally only in America. Also if it's a game for a really good price I won't mind getting it digitally. But as of lately with my 64gb card getting filled I have been trying to limit myself on digital games and even been trying to buy some of the digital games I have physical so I can get some of that space back for digital only games.

20. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

coachjjs75

That's no good mate. :(
    Just make sure to be safe buying when buying anything online.

coachjjs75 likes this.
  21. Salty Dog

Salty Dog Well-Known Member

Physical for sure, with the prices of the Au psn ive found i can find physicals much cheaper that the psn store.
    They dont eat up expensive memory cards
    They are worth something, Digital copies are worth nothing once you have paid for them
    With physicals you can have a nice visual collection you can look through and see what takes your fancy, with the 6 memory cards i have my games get a bit lost.
    New Physical copies support bricks and mortar stores and as gamers we should be trying to do that imo
    Ive got no problem with digitals, the ones i cant get in physical i get on digital, but digital copies just dont make a lot of sense for me unless i just want an impulse buy.

22. Coleslawter89

Coleslawter89 New Member

Physical when a CE is available (Persona 4 Dancing All Night, The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel). Other than that, I prefer digital because I am carrying around less cartridges, and I can have a ton of games to play at the ready

SONY likes this.
  23. Vitamin

Vitamin Member

Why not both?!?!?! :eek:

24. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

Yeah, I go both ways :p

25. Vitamin

Vitamin Member

;)

SONY likes this.