Play Asia - Customs fees - updated 18 July.

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita Games' started by Mr Tornado, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Mr Tornado

Mr Tornado Well-Known Member

Updated 18 July. Thanks to MoMoMo. :)

We appreciate your kind feedback and for further explaining it. With the
    new policy, we will declare these on your behalf and the courier will then
    send the product to you directly instead of going to your customs office.

We are only doing this for the convenience of our valued customer. However,
    please know that we have this escalated to the respective team and they did
    some discussion. We have now added back the option of Economy Airmail (tax
    excluded) for customers in EU region.

(I know I've posted this in the wrong forum, but I wanted everybody to see it just in case they don't check the other forums)

So I got this email today.

Dear valued customers,

At Play-Asia.com we are always looking for ways to improve and update our system to make it more efficient, cheaper and as easy as possible to use. As taxes and handling charges vary per country we want to take away all the confusion and make this consistent and more cost effective for you.

Please see the following changes to our shipping rates that all our customers can now enjoy:-

- Full clearance: Import Tax, customs duty - ALL NOW PRE-PAID
    - No local charges upon delivery from Postal or Courier Services.
    - No handling fee/costs.
    - Door to door delivery - All costs included.
    - Purchasing goods will now be cheaper.
    - Much more convenient to use.
    - One click to purchase and the price you see will be cheaper and final!

We hope the changes will make your experience and purchasing a much more rewarding one.

Thank you for your continued support,

As a test case, I added Drive Girls to my basket & checked out.

Use airmail postage costing £3.88, Click to next screen, choose payment, click again, then...

£7.11 Import Duty (Customs, GST, VAT, etc...)

So no longer can we try & avoid paying extra fees. We have to pay it whatever now. We don't have to pay the Royal Mail handling fee of £8.00, but still...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  2. Shippo

Shippo Well-Known Member

This is actually really bad. Its like amazon.com now for me which i avoid for the most times because tax are pre paid. This doesnt make things cheaper for, its exactly more expensive than before...

3. DojoDan

DojoDan Well-Known Member

At least it's minus the £8 handling fee. I've never asked PA to alter things so I don't mind paying up front. It's the uncertainty and the 8 quid that grieves me. I'll actually be more inclined to use them from now on. For me it's 8 quid cheaper :)

4. rajat

rajat Well-Known Member

They are following Amazon footsteps, it's the same thing if i try to import from amazon outside India, i have to pay import fee which gets returned after 60 days incase there are no customs or less

eBay sales will get a boost from the changes made by PA

5. Mr Tornado

My last dozen or so orders from Play Asia have escaped any fees, so I've been lucky I guess. 20% VAT to pay on all games orders now. Hhm... :(

6. shadowman

shadowman Well-Known Member

I'd say this'd put me off buying from PA, but I always have awful experiences with them so its just another reason that I'll avoid them like the plague and buy from literally anywhere else unless I can't avoid it. I miss the good old days when I could get a PA order within a week from when it was ordered, now it takes several weeks and a customs charge...

7. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

So in first case I was OK with this, I put Ys Origin in my basket to try this out and saw at the end that I would have to pay €6+ fees in my case (I live in The Netherlands)

Also I saw that the Airmail shipping got quicker in my case and with pre paying of the fees I wouldn't have to pay €13 handling fee IF the customs over here would take out my package.

But then I tried some games under €22 because under that value I don't have to pay any fees for importing stuff, but even if I put a €3 game in my basket PA still asks me to pay the fees.

That last part pisses me off because under €22 I don't have to pay the import fee in my country, but PA still asks for it :mad:

8. Calamity

Calamity Well-Known Member

Bah, so my little cheat of having the value halved on the invoice is null and void now. I'm sure I will be using Play-Asia a lot less now.

9. MoMoMo

MoMoMo Active Member

To be honest… this is GREAT! I don't mind paying taxes and this way is much more convenient. I always tried to avoid buying from play-asia because I always had to go the customs office to pick up my order. o_O

AllHasRed and Frite like this.
  10. Kresnik

Kresnik TVL Guest Reviewer

I think I've paid to pay customs fees once, for Soul Sacrifice Delta, was around £22.

Otherwise every order I've placed (must be 20+) never incurred any fees, so this is an absolute bummer.

11. Lukey52

Lukey52 Active Member

This was what I did too, looks like I won't be ordering from PA anymore. Never got hit with any fees and if I think of all the times I ordered if I had had to pay £7.11 extra... that's a lot of extra £ ouch.

This will surely hurt their international sales a lot, especially if it's true that they are charging a fee even if the order is under a countries VAT free threshold.

12. AllHasRed

AllHasRed Well-Known Member

I guess I'm in the minority in that I am actually going to use them more from now on. In the five or so years that I've been ordering from them, not a single shipment has evaded customs for me. Economy shipping always ended up at the nearest customs office, which for me means that I need to take at least a half day off work in order to meet their office hours. With that, the gas money to go to their middle-of-nowhere branch, and the regular tax and import duties, savings were slim. Express shipping options get delivered to the door, but are always followed by absurd handling fee invoices that could exceed the actual order value.

FedEx shipping with prepaid fees has been the only reliable method for me for the last year or so that didn't involve any further inconvenience money- or time-wise, and that regularly costs 30 € and up. So personally, I can appreciate this new service quite a lot. For those not as unlucky as me with customs interferences it would have probably been better if this service was optional, but that would be hard to implement, I guess.

13. The_stats_guy

The_stats_guy Well-Known Member

Bah, heavy arm it is then. I've ben lucky enough to avoid customs for the 5-6 purchases i've made from them. When we have to pay $50 already for these asian english releases, its getting a bit too expensive

14. rajat

rajat Well-Known Member

I think it should be regarded as import deposit, if you don't get a proper customs receipt mentioning how much was charged ask PA for import duty refund, amazon does the same thing if there is no proper customs receipt import fee is refunded

15. Mr Tornado

I've bought nearly all my Hori Accessory Sets & English/Asian Vita games from Play Asia, none got caught with customs, so the good run had to end I guess. I'll probably still order with PA, but maybe not so often.

16. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

Says enough

[​IMG]

No you are not the only one, I will gladly order the more expensive stuff from them now because of this BUT I will avoid the stuff under €22 as much as I can as long as they keep charging fees for orders under that value.

DojoDan likes this.
  17. Akros

Akros Well-Known Member

Change the title from UK to "All european countries". This is bullshit. I'm not buying from them anymore.

THIS. Same thing for Spain. It's just not worth it to buy from them anymore. The cheap shipping international Air method avoids customs 99.9% of the time here.

18. MoMoMo

MoMoMo Active Member

I asked play-asia about the custom fees, here their reply:

So… great news for everyone! If you want a guaranteed delivery to your doorsteps you can choose the new Airmail shipping option. If you don't want/need this service… you can choose the "old" Economy option. :)

19. legalalien

legalalien Member

It is fine for me. Every delivery of Play-Asia has given me a headache in the past, because I had to drive about 20 kilometers one way to pay the fees. Combined with awful opening times for working people. Not anymore! Thumbs up!

20. Lukey52

Lukey52 Active Member

Nice one!

21. Mr Tornado

Good news. Thanks for posting. :)